PDA

View Full Version : PC Offline.

SephYuyX
Aug 25, 2006, 11:31 AM
In the newest blog entry it says that you must be connected to the internets to play offline. However this is also stated: "ちなみにストーリーモードのセーブデータは「ローカル保存」と「サーバー保存」が選択できます。" Roughly: "However, story mode save data can be selected to be held locally or on the server."

This seems like an odd choice to me; to let the player decide where they want there info to be stored. Granted even if offline is hacked it wont effect the online portion of the game, but it just seems wierd to have this choice.

Saner
Aug 25, 2006, 11:33 AM
ya if online is needed for that version, why even bother with the option to save it locally?????

that might be enough for them to hack something.

or maybe they wanna balance the space that offline savegames will take up on their servers?

Ryna
Aug 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
In the example they gave, you would be able to play your "offline" game at home and on Internet cafe computers.

uhawww
Aug 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a group's mission selection of online quests and missions may be modified or restricted based on your progression offline...

uhawww
Aug 25, 2006, 11:38 AM
Ahh. Interesting application of server space indeed...

SephYuyX
Aug 25, 2006, 11:39 AM
On 2006-08-25 09:34, Ryna wrote:
In the example they gave, you would be able to play your "offline" game at home and on Internet cafe computers.

Ahh well ofcourse, that makes sense.

But it's still wishy washy to even let a PC user have that choice. I can see arguments for both sides, but meh..

Ideally it should be both. Id like to save data to my computer, but what if my computer crashes or I want to play eslewhere? Bu on the other side, my data is held on their server, what if that gets erased and backups fail?

Should be an option for 'both'.

Sappharad
Aug 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
This is just a guess, but I'd assume you probably need an active account to save your Story mode file to the server. This would mean that they're offering people who intend to play just story mode a chance to do it without paying the online fee. The internet connection requirement is just there because of GameGuard, so they've got to make up for it somehow.

PrinceBrightstar
Aug 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
I wonder if you'll be able to move around saves as well, like use server for a backup until you can copy it back. Could be very useful if you only get 1 story save slot.

zandra117
Aug 25, 2006, 03:26 PM
I can see this being used as a loophole for modifying the online characters.

gothmogsbane
Aug 25, 2006, 04:28 PM
Is it really true that you have to have an internet connection to play offline for PC? I don't have one (nor will I be getting one in the near future), so would buying the game be a complete waste of money?

Valkayree
Aug 25, 2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah the whole idea of "temporary characters" saveable to memory card backfired on them in PSO on Xbox when people used them to dupe items with an AR. Hopefully this is ONLY for PC and not 360, because yes I agree with Zandra, looks like a loophole in the works, and I've already dealt with every real money trader on FFXI camping every available valuable item to death with five to ten of their RMT friends at all hours, selling gil and shooting up the prices to unbelievable costs, and I really don't want to see that happen to the PSU for the 360, at least for a year or so. Eh, maybe its wishful thinking to assume it will stay cheater free for a year. Here's to hope.

Fleece
Aug 25, 2006, 06:14 PM
ooOOooo remote access to single player, nice one.

Probably an option because youll have to have an online account to save server side. Nice additional option to give to subscribers.

EtherForce
Aug 25, 2006, 09:31 PM
I wonder if you'll be able to interchange your offline save with the PC and Ps2.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EtherForce on 2006-08-25 19:33 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 12:23 AM
I don't see how this could be used as a "loophole." How is it any different than saving your online characters offline? It wouldn't be taking the save file from your computer (that might have been manipulated( and transfering it online; it'll create a new, seperate save file on the server.

Plus, you did see the part about an online connection being required at all times, right?

Ifrian
Aug 26, 2006, 02:23 AM
On 2006-08-25 22:23, Kyuu wrote:
I don't see how this could be used as a "loophole." How is it any different than saving your online characters offline? It wouldn't be taking the save file from your computer (that might have been manipulated( and transfering it online; it'll create a new, seperate save file on the server.

Plus, you did see the part about an online connection being required at all times, right?

But that was before they said this new stuff, and after the discontent of a lot of people.

Anyway , who knows.