PDA

View Full Version : X360 unable to handle PSU?

Dingo
Aug 26, 2006, 01:08 PM
According to the preview for PSU on IGN:

"Framerate issues plagued the X360 version, with action slowing to a painful crawl with surprising regularity. Each character's fingers were poor as well, looking more like steak fries than multi-jointed digits. Visuals looked most comfortable on the PS2, as the Xbox 360 seemed more like a high resolution and extremely blurry version of it."

Looks like PS2 owners have very little to worry about.

Too bad the porting to the 360 did not include optimising the games code for that particular system. It's a damn shame, I've seen this kind of thing before with MGS2:Substance for XBOX and it's ridiculous that developers won't take the time to optimise. Substance just had massive framedrops on XBOX which is unfathomable looking at the fact that it's the stronger system.

But Sonic Team should be able to iron it all out before it releases I hope.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dingo on 2006-08-26 11:10 ]</font>

-Crokar-
Aug 26, 2006, 01:26 PM
On 2006-08-26 11:08, Dingo wrote:

"Framerate issues plagued the X360 version, with action slowing to a painful crawl with surprising regularity. Each character's fingers were poor as well, looking more like steak fries than multi-jointed digits. Visuals looked most comfortable on the PS2, as the Xbox 360 seemed more like a high resolution and extremely blurry version of it."

Looks like PS2 owners have very little to worry about.

Too bad the porting to the 360 did not include optimising the games code for that particular system. It's a damn shame, I've seen this kind of thing before with MGS2:Substance for XBOX and it's ridiculous that developers won't take the time to optimise. Substance just had massive framedrops on XBOX which is unfathomable looking at the fact that it's the stronger system.

But Sonic Team should be able to iron it all out before it releases I hope.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dingo on 2006-08-26 11:10 ]</font>

thats probobly why it isnt being released till, what, next year?

DizzyDi
Aug 26, 2006, 01:29 PM
IRONY TO THE MAX!

Saner
Aug 26, 2006, 01:31 PM
Xbox360 is not really behind schedule
because they didn't start working on that version until a year or more AFTER the other versions were started to be made. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

so ya despite what stores say, Xbox360 version might come a month or more after the other versions. don't be surprised if this is the case.

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 01:33 PM
On 2006-08-26 11:26, -Crokar- wrote:

thats probobly why it isnt being released till, what, next year?According to SoA's website, the 360 version is being released fall of this year same as the PS2 and PC versions. Doesn't mean they're coming out at the same time, but it's not coming out next year, unless they delay it.

They'll probably have the wrinkles ironed out by the time it's released. It's not like they don't realize that poor performance on the 360 is something they need to fix.

Kichi
Aug 26, 2006, 01:33 PM
On 2006-08-26 11:08, Dingo wrote:

"Framerate issues plagued the X360 version, with action slowing to a painful crawl with surprising regularity...</font>
Heh...Yeah...I bet it's not as bad as some stuff I;ve experienced...but it still would suck nonetheless.

Frezzo
Aug 26, 2006, 01:42 PM
..... is that serious? PSU ps2 version looks better and works better then the 360? O_O' cant believe that .... WTF
anyway the ST is lazy thats a point... and they care only their beloved japanese customers....porting the game to a yankee system and make it look like heaven? they wount do that anyway..... at least i hope the solve the frame rate drop issues...ST....WTF^^

sadly but true.. for the 360 this game could be so sweet but we are getting only bad news since the announcement of the porting to 360 first the servers then the game itself oh well....sad sad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frezzo on 2006-08-26 11:55 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 01:54 PM
*sigh* Yeah, it looks good and runs well on the PS2... because that's the system is was designed around. The 360 version only looks "bad" because of the 360's various filters giving it a blurry look. Not really ST's fault. Nor is it "lazy." We haven't seen the release version, so kindly withhold ignorant flaming until we've seen how the release version looks and runs. It'll probably still look oddly blurry, because of the filters the 360 applies to the picture. They didn't design the game with the 360 in mind. If you prefer, they could just decide to not release it on the 360 at all. That'd be a lot easier for a "lazy" company.

Inspektahdek
Aug 26, 2006, 02:02 PM
optimizations will take a bit, albeit, they don't really literally care for 360 as they do say PS2 and PC coming behind it. Their original idea was PS2 solo, and then PC because of the porting easibility. And now 360 is a system which isn't falling off shelves that well in Japan so they don't concern thereselves as deeply as they do the other platforms because theyre basing the 360s PSU success solely on JP sales and not so much the US sales which might be released up to 3 months after the JP dual PS2/PC platforms.

I for one almost purchased a 360 solely for this purpose and now I'm really thinking PC is my forte. My alienware laptop rig runs PSOBB like a champ and I wouldn't have to purcahse extra accessories as well as how easy the PC is going to be for updates/patches, yadda yadda

anyways my two cents are expended~

Frezzo
Aug 26, 2006, 02:16 PM
On 2006-08-26 11:54, Kyuu wrote:
*sigh* Yeah, it looks good and runs well on the PS2... because that's the system is was designed around. The 360 version only looks "bad" because of the 360's various filters giving it a blurry look. Not really ST's fault. Nor is it "lazy." We haven't seen the release version, so kindly withhold ignorant flaming until we've seen how the release version looks and runs. It'll probably still look oddly blurry, because of the filters the 360 applies to the picture. They didn't design the game with the 360 in mind. If you prefer, they could just decide to not release it on the 360 at all. That'd be a lot easier for a "lazy" company.

im not flaming at all i was straight a bit but not ignorant....im just very SAD to hear all the stuff floating around the 360 versinon of the game... and all the excuses saying its not the dev team its the 360 doing a crappy job thats not true guys the 360 does what the dev team decides^_^ look at what SE did with ff11 on the 360 and ff11 was designed for ps2 too at the beginning ...that being said you have no excuse ..filters or what ever...
And like the poster above said they really dont care much about the 360 thats sad but its straight the truth guys....well im still hoping the game will be fixed and that we can enjoy the rest of the community.../em dreams http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frezzo on 2006-08-26 12:36 ]</font>

OnnaWren
Aug 26, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm not surprised at all that PSU would be a quickie port (and unoptimized) for the 360 as a possible way to entice a few Japanese sales of the system...

watashiwa
Aug 26, 2006, 03:59 PM
The 360 is more than enough for PSU... all the problems that existed in the preview version of PSU that the game sites played are 100% the dev team's fault.

They probably wanted to dress it up, make it look snazzy, for the next gen console... it was probably one of their first foray into the console itself (maybe).. But, it's still very possible they'll fix the problems plaguing the display or get rid of the filters so the game is actually more playable.

And, since it's the 360, they might even come out with a patch to disable or let you choose whether or not you want the display filters on or off.

Eclypse
Aug 26, 2006, 04:54 PM
It doesn't surprise me that the game is not up to the level of the PS2 or the PC version because the game was never originally mentioned to be coming out on the 360. In the end I still expect the PC & 360 versions to be better.

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 05:28 PM
On 2006-08-26 12:16, Frezzo wrote:

look at what SE did with ff11 on the 360 and ff11 was designed for ps2 too at the beginning ...that being said you have no excuse ..filters or what ever... Again... you're comparing the final release of a game (FFXI) to a pre-release version that was sent to a few gaming magazines (PSU). My main point was to wait until the final release before you start complaining about how it runs/looks. They'll likely iron out most of the problems with the filters and framerate.

A2K
Aug 26, 2006, 05:33 PM
This thread is made of FUD and needs to go away.

VioletSkye
Aug 26, 2006, 05:37 PM
Heh, there's a term I haven't heard for awhile http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 05:47 PM
FUD? o_0

Pacpunk
Aug 26, 2006, 06:19 PM
it's called a demo

A2K
Aug 26, 2006, 07:09 PM
On 2006-08-26 15:47, Kyuu wrote:
FUD? o_0

Fear, uncertainty, doubt. As opposed to, say, actual facts and reasonable conclusions.

Framerate issues incomplete demo of the Xbox 360? Unpossible! Sonic Team must be lazy and not give a crap about the quality of it! Just forego the fact the game isn't even done yet and that issues like these are usually dealt with beforehand, this game is guaranteed to suck now!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-08-26 17:10 ]</font>

Kyuu
Aug 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
Ah. In that case, I agree with you.

hypersaxon
Aug 27, 2006, 05:33 AM
If Xbox 360 can run the new Sonic The Hedgehog, I'm sure it can run PSU.

Just give the devs time to iron things out and optimize their coding.

Frezzo
Aug 27, 2006, 08:40 AM
On 2006-08-26 15:28, Kyuu wrote:
My main point was to wait until the final release before you start complaining about how it runs/looks. They'll likely iron out most of the problems with the filters and framerate.

Agree but as 360 user i feel a little disappointed .... we can talk about it when the game is released on 360... as i said before i still hope they do a good job on porting this game to 360..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frezzo on 2006-08-27 06:42 ]</font>

Saner
Aug 27, 2006, 09:10 AM
And, since it's the 360, they might even come out with a patch to disable or let you choose whether or not you want the display filters on or off.

since when has a Xbox360 game ever offered a visual display-related patch? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

if the display filters cannot be configured in-game, a patch for such option is unlikely.

Fleece
Aug 27, 2006, 10:46 AM
On 2006-08-26 11:31, Saner wrote:
Xbox360 is not really behind schedule
because they didn't start working on that version until a year or more AFTER the other versions were started to be made. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Actually the XBOX 360 is basically a PC and runs on the same kind of system, so porting the PC version to 360 would take no time at all....Thats the most obvious reason they picked the 360 over the old xbox. If they wanted to they could port the finished pc version over and have it ready for release in 4 months. If they wanted to.

qoxolg
Aug 27, 2006, 11:50 AM
Who in the hell started to call it a "filter"? It's probably motionblur and dept of field, something alot of 360 games already use. If used properly it can make thing look a bit nicer... but it's nothing special.

and Fleece is right, the 360 is basicly a PC, it is also using Direct X so porting the PC version would only need some recompiling from X86 to PowerPC and a bit of tweaking.

Eclypse
Aug 27, 2006, 12:56 PM
Frezzo I wouldn't worry to much about the state of the 360 version. The people that are worried about the state the game is in, are those same people that are forgetting this game was announced last so comon sense would dictate that it would be the one in the worst possible form.

In the end I would expect the 360 version to be the most visually gratifying followed by the PC and then the PS2. Even though the engine of the game is based off of the PS2 technology, the PC and the custom chipset of the 360 will offer some enhancements as with all games that are ported from one version to another.

phunk
Aug 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
I'm not suprised at this at all, games like FFXI and Dead Rising had issues on standard TVs in the past. I know FFXI's problems were fixed via a patch however and I only play 360 on HD so it doesn't matter. As for this being a problem in the retail version of PSU, I doubt it, things will be okay by release.

Pacpunk
Aug 27, 2006, 08:06 PM
if the ps2 can handle i think the 360 can handle also. it's just a demo there are always! problems with demos, they find them and fix them everyones over reacting

kajioni
Aug 27, 2006, 11:29 PM
On 2006-08-26 11:42, Frezzo wrote:
..... is that serious? PSU ps2 version looks better and works better then the 360? O_O' cant believe that .... WTF
anyway the ST is lazy thats a point... and they care only their beloved japanese customers....porting the game to a yankee system and make it look like heaven? they wount do that anyway..... at least i hope the solve the frame rate drop issues...ST....WTF^^

sadly but true.. for the 360 this game could be so sweet but we are getting only bad news since the announcement of the porting to 360 first the servers then the game itself oh well....sad sad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frezzo on 2006-08-26 11:55 ]</font>

To say you are hostile is putting it lightly. ST cares ab out all their customers, i assure you. More customers means more money, so they would definetely care. Xbox 360 Is a very new system. They would have issues working on a game for it before it was finished with R&D hmm?

Dingo
Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 AM
FUD, give me a break. Your just using this thread so you can look cool by using the term, I never had that purpose in mind. I only started it because some ports just turn out crappy because of unoptimized coding and was afraid it would happen to PSU360. Just thought people should know about this that's all.

Saner
Aug 28, 2006, 11:04 AM
On 2006-08-27 10:56, Eclypse wrote:
Even though the engine of the game is based off of the PS2 technology, the PC and the custom chipset of the 360 will offer some enhancements as with all games that are ported from one version to another.

that's IF Sonic Team properly takes advantage of Xbox360's features without causing it to look blurry and have slowdowns more than the other versions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Kyuu
Aug 28, 2006, 11:05 AM
If the final release is shoddy, then that would perhaps be something people should know about. Getting hostile, flaming ST, and going berserk over how a couple of (not very knowledgable) game journalists described a prerelease 360 demo is foolish.

No one said you had FUD in mind, but that's still what this thread amounts to.

qoxolg
Aug 28, 2006, 04:41 PM
Most demo's for 360 of games that are not released yet are running like crap with low FPS and framedrops... (Saints Row, old Test Drive Unlimited demo, etc etc..)

But the 360 version won't look much better than the other versions, except the nice HD resolution and standard Anti Aliasing. But they can't do much else then some blur, dept of field, HDR, blooms, etc etc...

Saner
Aug 28, 2006, 05:25 PM
hopefully they fix the frequent slowdown IGN talked about for this version.

Xbox360 can handle it but it depends on how they adapt it and program it to the system.

Eclypse
Aug 28, 2006, 05:26 PM
Saint's Row runs perfect for me. I get a sold frame-rate and I'm even running it off the disc as opposed to the HDD which other people are doing. Most of the demo's that come on the 360 are only 50-65% complete which is nothing near the finished product.

The 360 version will look exactly like the other versions of the game except that it will antialias better than the PS2 and it will be just about as crisp if not more crisp than the PC version if they take full advantage of the GPU in the X.