PDA

View Full Version : question about online

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 27, 2006, 02:46 AM
ok when gettin PSU i know you need to make an account with them but do you have to create and account with playstation2 to play online like gamecube and xbox?

l3iohazard
Aug 27, 2006, 04:00 AM
how else are you going to log onto your characters online........

Phaze37
Aug 27, 2006, 05:09 AM
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but you'll have to create some sort of account to go online. Your topic doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That must be some good weed you're smoking http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ash1ey
Aug 27, 2006, 05:18 AM
I think he is asking if you need to also create an account with Sony online entertainment to be able to make your ps2 go online. If my memory serves me correctly I dont think you need to create an account with Sony, only Sega, for the actual game. (its been 2 years since I configured my ps2 to go online, so I may be wrong)

hypersaxon
Aug 27, 2006, 05:29 AM
For PS2 and PC, you won't need anything but an account with Sega.

For Xbox 360, at the very minimum you'll need XBL Silver, unless they decide to require a Gold account which hopefully won't happen.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 27, 2006, 02:56 PM
i know you have to make an account for PSU, im talking do i also have to pay for playstation to go online(such as xbox live for example), cause one of my friends told me u didnt have to, the topic makes sense if you read it right. and thanks to steve II and hypersaxon for understanding it correctly

HUnewearl_Meira
Aug 27, 2006, 03:00 PM
Sony doesn't have a hosting service for games that you have to pay for, as Microsoft does (even then, you only need to pay for Xbox Live if the company that made the game chose to use the Xbox Live service). You'll have to pay for your PSU account as well as your ISP (which I assume you're doing already, seeing as you are able to post on this site), but other than that, there are no other fees.

Phaze37
Aug 27, 2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, the PS2 is cool like that. Sony doesn't ask for fees to play PS2 games online. It's a ripoff to pay fees to play normal games online like you do for Xbox live. I'll pay for online RPGs because I know that these games require constant support from the game's developers, but I refuse to pay a fee just so I can play online FPS' and fighting games and other relatively simple online games.

Saner
Aug 27, 2006, 04:34 PM
ya virtually all PS2 games except MMORPGs are free online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Pure-chan
Aug 27, 2006, 05:43 PM
On 2006-08-27 13:21, Phaze37 wrote:
Yeah, the PS2 is cool like that. Sony doesn't ask for fees to play PS2 games online. It's a ripoff to pay fees to play normal games online like you do for Xbox live.

I could be way off, but isn't that because Sony doesn't do the hosting for non-1st party titles? My understanding was that online ps2 games were hosted by whatever company made the game, versus xbl's approach of standardizing all online games into one unified community. ...If that's the case, then isn't it sort of apples and oranges to compare the two? One is free, but doesn't offer full on inter-game, cross-title/publisher community support, the other has a fee but offers a community aspect for the console as a whole.

For the record, I'm not trying to start a 'this console suxx or roxx' debate. I'm neutral on on the topic, as I'll be playing PSU on my shiny new PC. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

zandra117
Aug 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
On xbox live you have a friends list that goes across all games while on ps2 online you have a different friends list for each game. Plus xbox live has something called marketplace that allows you to download demos, trailers and other game content. You can access the marketplace with a free silver account. Xbox live gold users can play multiplayer games that are hosted on xbox servers and use private 1 on 1 chat. while silver users are only allowed to play the MMOs online.