PDA

View Full Version : Multiple new techniques revealed!

EspioKaos
Aug 27, 2006, 09:27 AM
Check out this screenshot (http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2536.jpg). This is one of the disk shop screens, listing eight different technique disks that you can purchase. Going from top to bottom we have...

Agdeal
Barta
Rabarta
Defdeal
Zonde
Razonde
Resta
Regene

The two new ones, agdeal and defdeal, are listed as fire- and ice-based techniques respectively. I get the feeling they're not attack techniques, however. Some may recall a couple of consumable items called agtalide and defbalide. Agtalide temporarily increased your ATP like shifta, and defbalide temporarily increased your DEF like deband. Assuming the prefixes used here are meant to reprensent the same thing, perhaps these two new techs are the new names for shifta and deband?

Taking things even further, I wonder if the other consumable items in that category (zodialide, retialide and megistalide) will have castable variations?

EDIT: Changed the subject since now many more than two new techs have been revealed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2006-08-27 09:45 ]</font>

mattdude
Aug 27, 2006, 09:29 AM
cool

Nisshoku
Aug 27, 2006, 09:48 AM
That'd be quite interesting if they indeed were. In the terms of Support Techs, we haven't seen much in PSU so far...

DarK-SuN
Aug 27, 2006, 10:15 AM
That's definitely very interesting!
Let's see if we learn more about them, and if they really replace Shifta and Deband in PSU, in the following days.

Fleece
Aug 27, 2006, 10:29 AM
its out in a few days....we'll know a lot in about all this next week lol.

Pacpunk
Aug 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
awsome more stuff, wish we had screens of them though

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pacpunk on 2006-08-27 08:49 ]</font>

Emrald
Aug 27, 2006, 10:49 AM
Lol yes we will

Kers
Aug 27, 2006, 11:22 AM
Taking things even further, I wonder if the other consumable items in that category (zodialide, retialide and megistalide) will have castable variations?

EspioKaos you so got me thinking about the possibilities of a full Expert Force having a megistalide buff.

Kupi
Aug 27, 2006, 11:29 AM
The interesting thing about this (if your speculation is correct-- no offense) is that the support Techs are now distributed by elements. So, if they benefit from that whole "matching elemental Techs" system at all, that means that you can't just slap all your support techs on the same Cane or Staff; you'd have to pair them with your attack Techs as well.

This also throws a monkey wrench into my plans to have two Forces, one who specializes in Fire, Lightning, and Light Techniques, and the other who specializes in Ice, Earth, and Dark Techniques. They may not be able to fully support the party in that case. Well, we'll see what happens when the game comes out, I suppose. Neat find.

EspioKaos
Aug 27, 2006, 11:38 AM
Nisshoku just pointed out to me that the image board I found that at had been updated with a few more pics revealing even more techs. Here they are:

http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2542.jpg
http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2543.jpg
http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2544.jpg

Here's a complete list of the techniques shown in these screens.

Rafoie
Damufoie
Agtal
Agdeal
Barta
Rabarta
Damubarta
Defbal
Defdeal
Zonde
Razonde
Nosuzonde
Zodial
Zoldeal
Deega
Radeega
Damudeega
Nosudeega
Resta
Regene
Retial

One of the -deal tech descriptions is shown, and from that, it looks like I was right about them being support techniques. Zoldeal, the description shown, is an electric-based support technique which temporarily decreases an enemy's accuracy and evasion.

Emrald
Aug 27, 2006, 11:54 AM
Why are they doing this by elements? it was better when the supports were their own class

Kyuu
Aug 27, 2006, 12:02 PM
They're doing it by elements because of the fact that muitiple spells on the same weapon gives a boost. Also, since they have elements, it's likely that, for example, the lightning-based status effect that lowers enemies' ATA and EVP wouldn't be very effective against lightning-based enemies.

Lyrise
Aug 27, 2006, 12:04 PM
I highly doubt Megistride will get a spell format. Just the item itself was overpowered enough, that's why it was hard to extremely hard to make. To have a spell form of it would totally defeat the purpose of it.

Kyunji
Aug 27, 2006, 12:07 PM
On 2006-08-27 09:54, coolcat33333 wrote:
Why are they doing this by elements? it was better when the supports were their own class

It makes for better strategic value, I would say. Sure, it might be easier to just create a few techniques that will always increase and/or decrease attack and defense power proportionally depending on the various subjects' levels, but this forces you to make decisions beforehand about what weapons to take.

On that note, I can't help but notice that Phantasy Star Universe it looking to be much, much more complicated than its predecessor. Between the elemental attack/defense modification techniques, the ability to attack enemies from different angles for higher accuracy, the limits on how many techniques you can carry, the limit on how many shots you can fire from a particular gun, the vehicles, and many, many more factors, I would say that Phantasy Star Universe will require much more thought than Phantasy Star Online did.

As always, thanks for keeping us informed, EspioKaos.

Emrald
Aug 27, 2006, 12:10 PM
Well when you put it that way it does make sense ^_^

Blueblur
Aug 27, 2006, 12:34 PM
This is becoming pretty complicated, huh? At least no one can complain now that there won't be enough spells.

DarK-SuN
Aug 27, 2006, 12:54 PM
Wow, this is looking better and better by the second.
FOs will be much more challenging to use this time around, I like that.

EspioKaos
Aug 28, 2006, 08:05 AM
And we have even more now!

http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2597.jpg

Listed here are the following:

Giresta
Regene
Regrants
Retial
Megid
Ramegid
Damumegid
Nosumegid

Pseudo
Aug 28, 2006, 08:16 AM
Seems theres a megid series techniques, wonder if they will all have low acuraccy like in pso.
Although an uber powerful megid spell that succeded every time would be a tad too extreme.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 28, 2006, 08:26 AM
well there are the ones that reduce enemys evasion, and one to increase your evasiveness....and another one if im not mistaken which i very well could be...i think there might have been one to temperarily to increase your movement speed, not saying those are legit just saying, i could have been very drunk or very high at the time...lol

Mewn
Aug 28, 2006, 08:39 AM
On 2006-08-28 06:16, Pseudo wrote:
Seems theres a megid series techniques, wonder if they will all have low acuraccy like in pso.
Although an uber powerful megid spell that succeded every time would be a tad too extreme.

There's nothing to say that all the Megid techs are just purely insta-kill spells, some might do damage too, I guess we'll have to wait until someone translates descriptions to get more info though.

mechatra
Aug 28, 2006, 08:57 AM
XD

This is sounding excellent! I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new stuff in action.
Less than a week until My JP copy arrives ^_^

I think the first video I really really look forward to seeing is a full "Photon art exhibition" video, with all Hunter Ranger and Force Arts shown.

zandra117
Aug 28, 2006, 09:00 AM
yes, they brought back the old Gires

zandra117
Aug 28, 2006, 09:28 AM
ZOMG Zodial is like Saner mixed with Vision!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-28 07:45 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 28, 2006, 10:53 AM
Guess now everyone will be shouting OMG FO Y U NO A/D???/?? instead of OMG FO Y U NO S/D???1?

This does interest me, though, the prospect of having 1 force who focuses solely on support and ano0ther who focuses on casting might give me a reason to make two forces.

I still wish we had the old fashioned Shift and Deban, though.

PandaMasterX4
Aug 28, 2006, 10:57 AM
So now we're gonna have to be region supporters too.

Saner
Aug 28, 2006, 11:18 AM
On 2006-08-28 07:28, zandra117 wrote:
ZOMG Zodial is like Saner mixed with Vision!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-08-28 07:45 ]</font>

Yay! yippee skippee! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

EspioKaos
Aug 28, 2006, 10:13 PM
Sorry for not providing translations for the descriptions when I posted this info this morning. I was already running late for work since I noticed it right before I was supposed to leave, and I didn't need to make myself any later.

Anyway, here's a little more info.

Regrants (http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2596.jpg)
By holding down the casting button, this technique will generate explosions of light while continually draining your PP. If I'm translating it properly (the text is kind of blurry, so it's difficult to tell), it says that not only will your targets take damage, but the spears of light it generates may hurt you as well. o_o;

Damumegid (http://psu.rdy.jp/src/up2597.jpg)
This is another tech that can be continually cast by holding down the button it's assigned to. It says that this attack technique generates a gravitational field in front of you, possibly causing infection in the enemies caught within it. (So, now we have proof that dark attacks cause infection.)

zandra117
Aug 28, 2006, 10:33 PM
Oh no, PVP with Regrants.

Mewn
Aug 29, 2006, 10:19 AM
Wow, those techs certainly sound interesting. Thanks for the translations, as usual, Espio, and even if you made a mistake because of the blurriness of the pictures, it won't be difficult to correct when the game comes out for real.

Kupi
Aug 29, 2006, 12:24 PM
Hmm. The fact that Infection is tied to dark-type Techs makes me wonder if Infection is the new form of instant death. To put some speculation out there, what if Infection as a status lasts for a set amount of time, then kills you instantly? It would mean that getting hit by whatever variant of Megid wouldn't be truly instant death-- you've got a window to cure the status and therefore not die, but it's still a plenty awful thing to have on you.

As always, we'll see.

TheStoicOne
Aug 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
That sounds plausible enough. They have spells like that on other game too.

Brus
Aug 29, 2006, 03:16 PM
Wow Ragrants sounds like megid from phantasy star II. Although I'm a bit worried, hopefully it only hurts the caster and not party members or it might be PK city.

Saner
Aug 29, 2006, 06:02 PM
Megid was a classic damaging technique.

if they treat it as a Vol technique (chance of instant kill), then it might be not as useful since those things dont work on bosses.

A2K
Aug 29, 2006, 06:51 PM
What exactly is the "Infection" status effect? Is it similar to poison or "on fire" in that it saps away HP, but dark-elemental?

This gravitational field stuff makes the Megid series in PSU sound a bit like the "Gra" series of techs in ye olde schoole Phantasy Star. What was the Japanese name of those, anyway?

How will Giresta differ from Resta? Extended range?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-08-29 16:52 ]</font>

Kupi
Aug 29, 2006, 07:27 PM
The difference between Res and Gires might be the same as the difference between Res and Sar in the old PS games: weaker healing, but a more convenient increased range.

PrinceRhys
Aug 29, 2006, 09:29 PM
I don't know, that seems a bit redundant since Resta already heals in a radius. Gires with longer range and weaker power? I don't know. Maybe if one gave a lot of hp back to one character?

Plus, I think in old school PS, Res healed one person while Sar healed the group. This may be what you are saying anyway. Either way, it's closer to PS3 where Res healed the individual and GiRes healed the group.

Kupi
Aug 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, that's what I meant. Resta heals you and people directly adjacent to you. I'm not sure if its range improved as the Technique levelled up in the Beta, but what I'm saying is that Giresta may be to Resta what Sar was to Res. It may be that Resta is a more personal healing Technique, restoring more HP at a much tighter range, while Giresta heals fewer HP but has a much larger range, making it easier to heal the party if they're more spread out.

Actually, you're probably right about the PS3 thing. That's a far more apt comparison. Figures, coming from you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

PrinceRhys
Aug 29, 2006, 10:32 PM
Trust me, I'm not the PS3 buff you think I am. I just am one of the few who played the game (j/k) and I think Rhys was cool with the swinging-shouldered, majestic march.

Anyway, back on topic--now that the tech list is expanded, let's hope they included rare techs like we know they'll have rare weapons.

Kupi
Aug 29, 2006, 11:40 PM
Nn. The problem with rare Techs is that Technics are Photon Arts. Would there be rare Skills to go along with the rare Swords the Hunters will be wielding, or rare Bullets for the Rifles? If not, why should there be rare Technics for the rare Staves for Forces? If so... well, that's cool, I guess.

mechatra
Aug 30, 2006, 04:09 AM
That's something I've beent hinking about myself.

A simple comparison is PSO's Lavis series weapons. Three very VERY rare weapons which have a completely unique special attack.

It kinda makes sense for certain weapons to maybe have unique attacks attached to them.

Though again it may prove difficulty in balancing.

EspioKaos
Sep 1, 2006, 08:41 PM
Lots and lots of new techs, again! For the sake of having a complete list, I'll copy-paste the translations I just finished and added to PSUPedia here.

Foie: Fire-based attack technique. Shoots a ball of fire in a straight line in front of the caster.
Explodes upon hitting an enemy.
Rafoie: Fire-based attack technique. Creates a blast of fire in front of the caster, damaging enemies around it.
Damufoie: Fire-based attack technique. A technique that generates a continuous flame in front of the caster, draining their weapon's PP at a fixed rate depending on how long the casting button is held.
Gifoie: Fire-based attack technique. Generates a wall of flames around the caster damaging any enemies within range.
Agtal: Fire-based support technique. Temporarily increases the ATP of the caster and their allies.
Agdeal: Fire-based support technique. Temporarily decreases the ATP of enemies.

Barta: Ice-based attack technique. Generates cold air which travels in a straight path in front of the caster.
Rabarta: Ice-based attack technique. Creates a block of ice in front of the caster, damaging enemies around it.
Damubarta: Ice-based attack technique. A technique that generates a continuous blast of frigid air in front of the caster, draining their weapon's PP at a fixed rate depending on how long the casting button is held.
Gibarta: Ice-based attack technique. Generates a wall of ice around the caster damaging any enemies within range.
Defbal: Ice-based support technique. Temporarily increases the DFP of the caster and their allies.
Defdeal: Ice-based support technique. Temporarily decreases the DFP of enemies.

Zonde: Thunder-based attack technique. Generates a bolt of lightning which will penetrate an enemy in front of the caster.
Razonde: Thunder-based attack technique. Generates a thunderbolt in front of the caster, damaging enemies in a radius.
Gizonde: Thunder-based attack technique. Generates a dome of thunder over the caster, damaging any enemies within range.
Nosuzonde: Thunder-based attack technique. Generates a dome of thunder over the caster, damaging any enemies within range.
Zodial: Thunder-based support technique. Temporarily increases the ATA and EVP of the caster and their allies.
Zoldeal: Thunder-based support technique. Temporarily decreases an enemy's ATA and EVP.

Deega: Earth-based attack technique. Launches a ball of fire and rock with a parabolic flight path. This ball explodes upon impact.
Radeega: Earth-based attack technique. When cast a mass of fire and rock will is summoned from the ground at a distance. Will damage any enemies caught in the blast radius.
Damudeega: Earth-based attack technique. A technique that continually generates poisonous fog in front of the caster, draining their weapon's PP at a fixed rate depending on how long the casting button is held.
Gideega: Earth-based attack technique. Causes the ground beneath the caster to violently break apart damaging any enemies within the attack radius.
Nosudeega: Earth-based attack technique. Generates serpents that automatically pursues an enemy as long as the casting button is held down. The number of serpents increases with the level of this technique.
Deezas: Earth-based support technique. Temporarily generates a field around the caster which decreases the damage taken from melee attacks.

Resta: Light-based healing technique. Uses the power of photons to heal and restore the cells of a body. Restores the HP of the caster and allies.
Giresta: Light-based healing technique. Allows the caster to revive a fallen ally. It also increases the body's healing abilities by adding an automatic HP regeneration effect.
Regene: Light-based healing technique. Uses the power of photons to enable properties of immunity. Removes all negative status effects.
Regrants: Light-based attack technique. Consumes PP at a fixed rate depending on how long the casting button is held. This technique generates explosions of light which damage enemies and possibly the caster.
Rendis: Light-based support technique. Temporarily generates a field around the caster which decreases the damage taken from ballistic attacks.
Retial: Light-based support techqniue. Temporarily increases the TAP and MST of the caster and their allies.

Megid: Dark-based attack technique. Launches a gravity sphere in front of the caster. Has a low probability of completely incapacitating an enemy in battle.
Ramegid: Dark-based attack technique. Generates a gravitational field in front of the caster damaging any enemies within the attack radius.
Damumegid: Dark-based attack technique. Consumes PP at a fixed rate depending on how long the casting button is held. This technique generates a gravitational field in front of the caster which can cause infection.
Nosumegid: Dark-based attack technique. Generates a sphere of gravity that automatically pursues an enemy as long as the casting button is held down. The amount of damage dealt depends on the caster's remaining HP.
Megiverse: Dark-based support technique. This technique restores the caster's HP by absorbing it from enemies. Consumes PP at a fixed rate depending on how long the casting button is held.
Megistal: Dark-based support technique. The ultimate support technique which temporarily raises all attributes of the caster in exchange for a large amount of HP.

EDIT: Slight update to the description of megiverse.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EspioKaos on 2006-09-06 13:00 ]</font>

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 08:52 PM
I'm sure there are rare Photon Arts to find, and in fact I'm wondering if Photon Arts might not begin to replace WEAPONS as the things everyone wants. Obviously, it's very cool to own a weapon that no one else has, but in PSO, when you got right down to it, a saber was basically a saber and that was that.

Photon Arts directly affect the way you attack. As far as I know, any Saber PA can be used with any Saber weapon, which makes sense to me and also allows for some nice variability in each weapon.

As far as rare PA for guns, in my Story Mode game I recently picked up a PA for Dual Pistols that causes it to fire an ORANGE (not red) colored shot that does almost 2x as much damage as normal and also causes a status effect (I'm not sure what). It's not rare, but I've found a few PAs as drops now and some are very nice, like Hyuga's triple Saber strike attack. So I'm sure there WILL be rare ones.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see a massive abundance of rare EVERYTHING, from clothes and household items to weapons and techs. More to hunt for means more reason to play the game, and also if there are many kinds of rare clothes and household items, then not everyone will be wearing and using the same kinds of things.

Kyuu
Sep 1, 2006, 09:43 PM
I frankly doubt that there will be "rare" Photon Arts, Bullets, or Technics. While higher level ones will, of course, have to be found in higher difficulty ranks/areas, I don't think there will be any that are actually rare. I could be wrong, of course.

And I thought there was a vendor in the cities who sold you PAs, BAs, and Technics? So there shouldn't be any reason to wait for a drop unless you're just hard up for meseta. Or maybe you can find the drop at a lower level than the vendor will allow you to buy it?

Also, I very much approve of the list of Technics. A very good variety, and the dark Technics in particular are quite interesting. One question, though: it doesn't mention status ailments caused by lightning or ice Technics. Are they not capable of causing paralysis or freezing enemies occassionally?

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 09:48 PM
On 2006-09-01 19:43, Kyuu wrote:
I frankly doubt that there will be "rare" Photon Arts, Bullets, or Technics. While higher level ones will, of course, have to be found in higher difficulty ranks/areas, I don't think there will be any that are actually rare. I could be wrong, of course.

And I thought there was a vendor in the cities who sold you PAs, BAs, and Technics? So there shouldn't be any reason to wait for a drop unless you're just hard up for meseta. Or maybe you can find the drop at a lower level than the vendor will allow you to buy it?

Also, I very much approve of the list of Technics. A very good variety, and the dark Technics in particular are quite interesting. One question, though: it doesn't mention status ailments caused by lightning or ice Technics. Are they not capable of causing paralysis or freezing enemies occassionally?

I don't see any reason for there NOT to be rare ones.

And yes, you can buy SOME, but for instance, at the time I found the Hyuga saber PA, it wasn't available to me to buy (I'm not sure if it still isn't as I haven't checked the shop in a while.)

Wubbie
Sep 1, 2006, 09:49 PM
Oh no! Too many Technics... Make a Force happy, yet a Anal-retentive Force very very sad...

Where am I going to find the room to place these into hotkeys! ^_^.

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 09:53 PM
You won't, because spells are set to weapons now and you only get six 'ready' slots to switch between in battle. I haven't actually played with magic yet so I'm not positive how it works, but if it's anything like the melee setup then you're going to have to think hard about what you want to take into battle with you.

RoninJoku
Sep 1, 2006, 09:54 PM
ah, cool stuff... I'm liking all the new support techs! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kyuu
Sep 1, 2006, 09:59 PM
On 2006-09-01 19:48, Nekomimi wrote:

I don't see any reason for there NOT to be rare ones.

I don't see any reason FOR there to be rare ones. There weren't any "rare" techniques in PSO, unless you count maybe the level 30 technique disks (especially for megid and grants). Those weren't really rares, though.

Also, every class will have plenty of rare weapons to find/synthesize, and every class has to level up their PAs, BAs, and technics through use, so "rare" PAs, BAs, or technics would just be superfluous, in my opinion. Not to mention there has been zero mention of them anywhere, in any preview or interview, nor have there been any reports of anyone seeing any sign of them in the beta, premiere disc, or so far in the final release.

Nodachi
Sep 1, 2006, 10:01 PM
Deffinitely liking all these support based techs too. Lot bigger of an incentive for some to play the support role http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 10:07 PM
PSO can't really be referred to in this case, as PA didn't even exist. Although techniques are PAs, a PA is not always a technique, it is a special skill to learn and level up. It makes literally NO sense to have them all easily available to buy. And just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are a lot of things in PSO that people might never have heard about if the game hadn't been hacked to bits.

A2K
Sep 1, 2006, 10:08 PM
Good God, some of those sound insanely powerful, and there's a good variety, too.

Retial: Magic Booster?!
Megistal: Wow. Just wow.
Megiverse: I'm not sure how this counts as a "support" technique, but it sounds an awful lot like Phantasy Star II Megid, sucking out HP for damage.

EspioKaos
Sep 1, 2006, 10:10 PM
I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned it yet; about the description of nosudeega. At first, I thought I was misreading something, but I double- and triple-checked my translation, and yes, that technique is actually supposed to summon snakes that chase down your targets! XD (I'd still like to see pictures of this, however, just to confirm it.)

On 2006-09-01 18:52, Nekomimi wrote:
As far as rare PA for guns, in my Story Mode game I recently picked up a PA for Dual Pistols that causes it to fire an ORANGE (not red) colored shot that does almost 2x as much damage as normal and also causes a status effect (I'm not sure what). It's not rare, but I've found a few PAs as drops now and some are very nice, like Hyuga's triple Saber strike attack. So I'm sure there WILL be rare ones.
That was probably the PA called Twin Gravter; it's an earth-based attack which has the chance of causing silence.

On 2006-09-01 19:43, Kyuu wrote:
One question, though: it doesn't mention status ailments caused by lightning or ice Technics. Are they not capable of causing paralysis or freezing enemies occassionally?
Oh, I just neglected to include that information. It doesn't specifically say that in some of the descriptions, but I'm pretty sure most if not all attack techs have the chance of inflicting their respective status effects on enemies.

Kyuu
Sep 1, 2006, 10:11 PM
On 2006-09-01 20:07, Nekomimi wrote:

It makes literally NO sense to have them all easily available to buy.Please qualify this statment? I don't really see it. And it's not like you can buy them right off the bat, you can't buy them from the vendors until you reach a certain level, I don't believe.

A2K
Sep 1, 2006, 10:15 PM
On 2006-09-01 20:10, EspioKaos wrote:
I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned it yet; about the description of nosudeega. At first, I thought I was misreading something, but I double- and triple-checked my translation, and yes, that technique is actually supposed to summon snakes that chase down your targets! XD (I'd still like to see pictures of this, however, just to confirm it.)

I'm thinking they're actually like... snakes, yes, but actually just long snake-shaped rocks. But yeah, it was interesting. The whole "poisonous gas" thing doesn't seem to quite fit, either, although I guess volcanoes do emit of noxious gases.

Interesting how "Twin Gravter" is a Earth elemental when it seems more of the Dark attacks actually make mention of gravity fields. Not that the Earth can't obviously be associated with gravity, of course.

Ah, yes, Giresta. Now there's a surprise. It's not just a souped up Resta, it acts like Reverser AND has a HP regeneration effect. Endurance stat, anyone? I wonder if this is the only way to take advantage of it, though...

What are all the status effects, anyway?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-01 20:18 ]</font>

Espada
Sep 1, 2006, 10:17 PM
Hi all! While I'm new to the forums, I was in PSO since the Dreamcast days of version 2 (offline) and I played the Xbox version (yay for multiplayer!) until I completely burned myself out on it (sadly...highest I ever got was 142, I think). I've been peeking off and on for info on PSU until I stumbled onto those recordings of the gameplay and character creation on YouTube.

Suffice to say, I'm hooked without even having played it yet. >_< Now I feel like City of Villains/Heroes is just passing the time until I can FINALLY get PSU into my hands...October must come FASTER!

----------

*cough* Anyways...

Wow! Thanks for translating that. I never imagined that there would be so many different techs. I like how it's balanced out, though. If that expert class thingy works like I hope (blending classes) then I might be able to recreate my favorite Ice-wielding HUnewearl. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I have been wondering though... Since Casts can...uh...cast now, does that mean they've lost access to their trap-related abilities? Has anyone even encountered traps in PSU?

A2K
Sep 1, 2006, 10:18 PM
It seems that now traps are usable by everyone, actually. You have to buy them in stores, I think.

Espada
Sep 1, 2006, 10:32 PM
Interesting. Thanks. In a sense, I feel like my HUcaseal is less unique...but then again, androids get SUVs now. ^_^

Kupi
Sep 1, 2006, 10:37 PM
Y'know, with all these available Techniques, maybe people will actually let me get away with that aforementioned tri-elemental character idea. There's just no way to carry all the support techs *and* get an elemental synergy bonus without a hellish amount of cane-juggling.

Oh, and I just LOVE Megistal. It perfectly fits the theme of the character I was planning to be mostly dark-elemental. I am pleased.

Alisha
Sep 1, 2006, 10:58 PM
with the revelation of the extra clases i hope some of thhose support techs are hutekker only(FO+HU) and i hope some of the damage techs are forte tekker only as well.

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 10:59 PM
On 2006-09-01 20:11, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-09-01 20:07, Nekomimi wrote:

It makes literally NO sense to have them all easily available to buy.Please qualify this statment? I don't really see it. And it's not like you can buy them right off the bat, you can't buy them from the vendors until you reach a certain level, I don't believe.

From a business standpoint, it keeps people paying longer if they have something to shoot for, like rare items. More rare items = more paying customers for more time.

From a gamer standpoint, it's fun to look for these kinds of things so you can say 'HEY! Look what I can do that you can't!'. So no. It doesn't make any sense at all, not to mention who wants to be doing the exact same thing as everyone else all the time? It's BORING.

Alpha-Hunter
Sep 1, 2006, 11:07 PM
That would be pretty cool. even though you are both the same class with the same weapon one has a chance to be able to pull off a move with that weapon that the other can't. can def add more than it could possible take away.

Kyuu
Sep 2, 2006, 12:16 AM
It's boring to be doing everyone else is doing? So you've never enjoyed any other game? I've never seen any game where everyone was doing different things from every other player. No matter how many different classes there are, there are going to be other people with the same class as you, with the same abilities, doing similar things.

Sorry to say, but having different abilities from other people isn't what makes a game fun. Everyone who played Sonic or Mario had the same abilities as everyone else who played the game. Everyone who plays WoW picks a class, and their class plays the same as everyone else who picks the same class (with a small variation from Talents, but there's only 500 other people on your server with the same talent build as you).

And from a business standpoint, they should have made another EQ-clone with timesinks out the ass. Timesinks are what get you people paying for a long time.

And anyways... whatever. Either there are or there aren't. Until someone reports finding one, I'll go ahead and assume there aren't, since there's zero indication of their existance. Maybe I'll be wrong. *shrug*

Nekomimi
Sep 2, 2006, 02:51 AM
You just declared all religions invalid, as well as belief in other life in the Universe, the theory of relativity, and any other unproven idea. GJ.

Anyway, you're attacking small points of my argument which is a pretty common tactic when one has nothing left to say of any real value. Obviously I have enjoyed many games before as being different isn't the be all and end all of a video game. It's not required, of course not. But does it add an extra layer of sugary goodness? Yes, obviously. It's basic human nature to want to be 'better' than the other guy, to have something they do not. You can't deny the impulse.

And you're right. WoW got boring pretty quickly once you hit 60, because everyone looked the same and did the exact same thing, all the time. In their persuit of that epic item that not everyone has, to differentiate themselves from their peers, they unconciously molded themselves all into the same build for maximum effiency.

And a game doesn't have to have timesinks ala EQ to have an effective business model. The rares in PSO, for a direct comparision that can be applied to the topic at hand, had insane drop-rates back in the day and some still do. This spurred people on to keep playing in an attempt to procure an item that very few other people (legitly) had. This is the same reason cheaters tend not to last very long. They cheat, they get their stuff, they lord it around for a while and grow bored because there's nothing left to do (because they got it all already) and then they leave.

And anyways... whatever. Either there are or there aren't. Until someone reports finding one. I'll go ahead and assume there are, since there's zero indication of their non-existence. Maybe I'll be wrong. *shrug*

EspioKaos
Sep 2, 2006, 08:28 AM
On 2006-09-01 20:15, A2K wrote:
Foie causes burn which gives damage to your character at a fixed rate over time. Barta freezes you in place temporarily. Zonde inflicts shock which paralyzes you. Deega causes silence making it impossible for your character to cast techniques. Damudeega may induce poison, but I'm not sure since I haven't seen it in use. Megid can cause infection which is more or less like poison from what I've read.

Kyuu
Sep 2, 2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah yeah, and you're attacking the argumentative skills of the person who disagrees with you, which is a pretty common tactic when someone has no real basis from which to argue anymore. And so on, back and forth, we could go on forever.

All I really have to say is... "no indication of their non-existence?" Lol. Well, there's no indication of the non-existence of an uber weapon called the Hulk Smasher, where your character is holding the Striker tank and uses it to smack enemies across the landscape, so I'll go ahead and assume it does exist in-game, even though I just made that up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-02 08:39 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 2, 2006, 12:17 PM
On 2006-09-02 06:28, EspioKaos wrote:

On 2006-09-01 20:15, A2K wrote:
Foie causes burn which gives damage to your character at a fixed rate over time. Barta freezes you in place temporarily. Zonde inflicts shock which paralyzes you. Deega causes silence making it impossible for your character to cast techniques. Damudeega may induce poison, but I'm not sure since I haven't seen it in use. Megid can cause infection which is more or less like poison from what I've read.

There are status effects that aren't associated with elements, as well, though, aren't there? Like Poison, maybe.

Kyuu
Sep 2, 2006, 04:47 PM
I believe all status affects have a corresponding element. Poison goes with the earth (deega series of spells) element, I believe. Even agtal and defbal (the equivalents of shifta and deband) are associated with elements (fire and ice, respectively).