PDA

View Full Version : How is it compared to WOW?

Werther
Aug 27, 2006, 07:00 PM
I never played PSO so what is it like compared to world of warcraft? Is endgame raiding like WOW? Hows the loot and size of the world?

mech259_
Aug 27, 2006, 07:05 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

Hello!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/donut.gif

Maybe you should actually do your own research instead of posting on the forums! ^_^

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

mattdude
Aug 27, 2006, 07:05 PM
its amazing, can't explain it, because it is too good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif lol ummm you should try out psobb.com, and try out a month of that, it costs like 10 dollers a month, its worth it.

Yoruichi
Aug 27, 2006, 07:09 PM
Think exactly diablo 2 cept more world and a closer view of it. Theres not point in trying to relate it to WoW. If you don't know diablo 2 then just look it up your getting the same basic jist with a futuristic theme and some more nice fluff.

Eclypse
Aug 27, 2006, 07:23 PM
It doesn't compare to WOW because WOW is a true MMORPG where as PSO/U is more of an action RPG than a true MMO.

...to Mech259_; there is no need to be an ass. It's people like you that give posters a bad name, this is a message board and if someone asks for an opinion, be helpful or shut the hell up.

Shadow_Wing
Aug 27, 2006, 07:33 PM
Hmmm I wouldn't say D2 is a close match to it. Eclypse is right on the money when s/he said that it is more like an action RPG, so think of popular games like Kingdom Hearts with the aspects of a few MMOs placed into it.

WoW is totally different game than PSO/U, abiet I do hate when ppl try to compare one game to another, I say just try it out if you think it's good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif.

DrewSeleski
Aug 27, 2006, 07:34 PM
to ecylpse there is no need to be an ass. It's people like you that give posters a bad name, this is a message board and if someone makes a joke you should laugh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Phaze37
Aug 27, 2006, 08:09 PM
I've played both games, but I couldn't bring myself to play WoW for very long because of it's MMO-ness. For example, in WoW you get a full world to explore, but in PSO and PSU you choose the mission you want to play and then you simply teleport there. In WoW you might have to spend 5 minutes travelling to a new area and maybe half an hour assembling a party, but in PSO/PSU it is MUCH faster because you can simply join a game in progress and teleport to the mission location. PSO is the only online RPG I've played where I can easily get in a good game with a full party of random people in less than an hour.

PSO/PSU doesn't have time sinks like MMORPGs do, almost all the time you spend playing the game is time spent actually playing the game, not waiting around for a party or travelling between areas. Also, you can actually play with people you know in PSO/PSU! Pretty amazing concept don't you think? The biggest disapointment for me with WoW was how the game had so many things preventing me from playing with people I knew. When I bought WoW, I knew 3 different groups of people who played the game. Since you're stuck on the server you choose, I had to choose which of these groups I wanted to play with. I met people at work who played the game but I couldn't play with them because they were on a different server and to me that seemed absolutely retarded. If you meet a random person IRL who plays PSO, you can actually play with them. In WoW when someone is a significantly higher level than everyone else in the party, he gets most of the exp which FORCES you to play with people at your own level. In PSO you can play with anyone. Yes, this means that power levelling is possible and some people may view this as a negative thing, but I'd much prefer that over not being able to play with my friends once their level gets too much higher than mine.

Combat in PSO/PSU is actually FUN. Instead of simply double-clicking an enemy and watching your character fight him, you have full control over your character in real time. The combat plays like a simple action game, rather than like a RTS with one character http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif . You can dodge enemy attacks by physically moving out of the way of them instead of relying entirely on your stats. In PSO, player skill is at least as important as a player's stats. This makes grinding feel like much less of a chore, and it really helps immerse you into the game because of the direct control you have over your character.

PSO has no endgame because getting to the maximum level (200) will take you well over 1000 hours. I'm not joking. I like this because you don't see maxed-out characters running around wherever you go. Maxing out your character is a HUGE accomplishment in PSO, whereas I've heard that a player who knows what they're doing can do that in WoW in under a month. Maxing out your character in PSO should not be a goal unless you're truly hardcore. Noone is impressed by the fact that your character is level 60 in WoW, but if you get to level 200 in PSO that's something to be proud of, because it's such an impressive feat.

There are a ton of reasons why I prefer PSO over WoW, and this is only the tip of the iceberg. To sum it all up, PSO/PSU is much more user friendly, and it suits my tastes far better than any MMORPG ever will.

Zeota
Aug 27, 2006, 08:39 PM
PSO/PSU and WoW = apples and oranges.

I prefer the faster paced combad of PSO/PSU over the "click and watch" affairs of traditional MMOs.

Blueblur
Aug 27, 2006, 08:46 PM
PSO/U is really more akin to an Action RPG. It rewards you with instant action and challenging gameplay. The only reason I tried it back in 2001 was because it easily combines action and RPG gameplay in one beautiful package. You should look up videos online at sites like Youtube, GameSpot and IGN and see for yourself how the games play.

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 27, 2006, 09:24 PM
On 2006-08-27 18:39, DarkEpyon00 wrote:
PSO/PSU and WoW = apples and oranges.

I prefer the faster paced combad of PSO/PSU over the "click and watch" affairs of traditional MMOs.

you mean PSO/PSU and WoW = MORPGs with MMORPGs

Eclypse
Aug 27, 2006, 09:26 PM
On 2006-08-27 17:34, DrewSeleski wrote:
to ecylpse there is no need to be an ass. It's people like you that give posters a bad name, this is a message board and if someone makes a joke you should laugh http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Show me a joke and I will gladly laugh.

DrewSeleski
Aug 27, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-08-27 17:05, mech259_ wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

Hello!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/donut.gif

Maybe you should actually do your own research instead of posting on the forums! ^_^

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/ducky.gif

kajioni
Aug 27, 2006, 11:21 PM
no need for people to get hostile. hostility is evil. eeeevil. otherwise, i have never played WoW. WoW = too much mindless grinding. I play Guild Wars. PSO/U Is more like guild wars pvp put in pve form. Random characters can easily join you. And you have to have alot of personal skill. A hi-level character helps in pso, but if you're realy bad at playing PSO, it won't. In guild wars it's entirely player skill, so PSO is much more forgiving. PSO is a wonderful game that i have been playing since version 1. I tried playing the japanese version of BB. PSO Is addictive.

Werther
Aug 28, 2006, 12:06 AM
So do the bosses drop the high end loot like in WOW?

Eclypse
Aug 28, 2006, 12:09 AM
Bosses drop rares at a random drop rate so in essense....the answer is yes.

Kuzzle
Aug 28, 2006, 12:12 AM
Ugh, I hate Guild Wars... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I have that game, and the community is horrible.

As for the loot thing... Well, if I remember right, you got better stuff from the bosses in PSO, but I only ever got rares from creatures that weren't bosses. No, wait, I think bosses dropped rares in front of me a couple times, but the people I was grouping with were douchebags and they grabbed them all. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Eclypse
Aug 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
Regular enemies, and bosses each drop rares in PSO. I wouldn't expect them to change the formula in PSU so I would expect bosses and normal enemies to drop rares as well.

Kyuu
Aug 28, 2006, 02:53 AM
No, the bosses don't really drop the "high-end loot."

Don't try and compare it to WoW at all, because they're nothing alike. PSU is not an EQ clone.

UniKoRn
Aug 28, 2006, 03:23 AM
The bosses in PSO do drop rares but they are never guaranteed to drop something decent like they do in WoW. The PSO drop rates were very low, sometimes you'd get nothing at all!

I'm not sure how it will pan out for PSU but my guess is that it will probably be like PSO.. people who have played the trial or premiere disc might know more definate answers.

Foxix
Aug 28, 2006, 03:38 AM
The upside to the rares on PSO to other games were also interesting. In other games you would need very specific items, weapons, or armor for your level otherwise you would be considered kind of weak.

However in PSO if you found a rare, that sucker was yours. It was like your signature, and noone ever considered a person weak unless their equipment was VERY old for their level. It was all about your play style really.

AngelLight
Aug 28, 2006, 05:08 AM
Yes, there are drop tables in the same vein as WoW or any MMO. Yes, bosses typically drop better gear then normal mobs, but that's not to say that some very rare mob wont drop something even better (cause of the difficulty finding this said rare mob).

MoonSblaise
Aug 28, 2006, 08:26 AM
Weeeeee This is getting me excited. I Look forward to being high level enough to solo some bosses all by myself in a gruesome battle XD Even if they don't drop something uber cool, would still be awesome <.<!

Kyuu
Aug 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
NONE of the best rares in PSO were dropped from bosses. Not a single one. Did you people play the same game I did? o_0

kajioni
Aug 28, 2006, 11:11 AM
i have never in all my years of playing the multiple pso's ever found a good rare from a boss. The best weapons are dropped by normal enemies. Armor is questionable though, like celestial armor in ver 1 could only be found in very hard from Dark falz 3. But other than armor and shields, most rare weapons can only be found from enemies. Check the drop charts. Drop charts are accurate enough. Asiode from that. PSO has difficulty levels, WoW doesn't. In PSO your only chance of finding something rare was usually in very hard or ultimate. On Hard mode you get the more basic rares. /endrant

Valkayree
Aug 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
Its not an mmo like WoW (not massively persistent, i.e. only 6 people per room), it is action based, unlike most mmos, and for starters, there are no real money traders and notorious monster campers because you create your own room and only six people can go in. You can password protect them too. Looking for a specific item that drops off a certain monster? Start a mission that has a lot of that monster, run through it, hope for a drop, and repeat. Noone will stop you or use an illegal bot to steal your drop from you. Pick who you choose to play with you. The guy in your room is a lying cheat only concerned with playing unfair, leave him there and make a new room! Therefore imo it is better than any other online rpg you will find. The only thing that ruined PSO was the hacking/duping, and sonic teams refusal to do anything about it because the characters were all stored on the player side. With PSU characters are stored server side, making for some good all around honest play. Tired of competing with 50 RMT's trying to get that notorious monster that drops an item worth 5 million 1% of the time, appears once an hour, and no one will let you in their party unless you have it? Don't want to cheat and buy in game money online just to have fun with the game? Then play PSU, you will like it.

Valkayree
Aug 28, 2006, 11:54 AM
Lol, and I remember Musashi and Yamato dropped of the Forest 1 dragon boss. Musashi dropped off the Hard and Yamato off the Very hard difficulty. So yes, specific items drop off bosses that dont drop anywhere else. Gal griffons feather comes to mind, whereby you can make the gal wing (correct me if the name is off) which was a pretty decent force weapon that kind of had the mechanics of the section ID card weapons.

Ryudo
Aug 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
On 2006-08-28 09:01, Kyuu wrote:
NONE of the best rares in PSO were dropped from bosses. Not a single one. Did you people play the same game I did? o_0

Tell that to Kondrieu

Pure-chan
Aug 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
On 2006-08-28 09:51, Valkayree wrote:
The guy in your room is a lying cheat only concerned with playing unfair, leave him there and make a new room!

Can't you kick people out of the party in PSU? If so, I'm launching anyone that joins asking for "SUM FREE RAREZ?!". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

On 2006-08-28 09:56, Ryudo wrote:

On 2006-08-28 09:01, Kyuu wrote:

Tell that to Kondrieu

Some of the mini-bosses had pretty sweet drops, too.

Tycho
Aug 28, 2006, 01:59 PM
I think it's hard to compare WoW to PSO/PSU. Keep in mind that in PSU the maximum party size will be six, and that there is no guild system. You shouldn't expect 'once a week' areas either, so the game would yield quite a bit more freedom than World of Warcraft would. I did kinda like the feat-system in WoW, but I'm starting to think of PSU's crafting system as pretty interesting as well. You should just try to find some gameplay videos on Youtube, or try the game some time.

Kyuu
Aug 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
Bah, Kondy never showed up in ult, so he doesn't count. =P

Asides, those were all units. We're talking about manly stuff like big-ass swords and guns here! >.>

Miyoko
Aug 28, 2006, 06:55 PM
-everything- drops "high end loot" in PSO. It's not restricted to bosses.

There is no raiding.

The bosses in PSO/U are like the raid bosses in WoW -- they're huge, require skill, strategy, teamwork.... The only difference, is bosses in PSO/U don't require 40 people ;p

EDIT: Oh, one much better thing about PSO/U ... You don't need a dedicated tank, healer, DPSer, etc for your fights. You don't need "the perfect team make up" like you do in WoW (which consists of one tank type, one healing type, etc). If you wanted, you could have an entire team of forces (mages) and do perfectly fine http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miyoko on 2006-08-28 16:58 ]</font>

Foxix
Aug 28, 2006, 07:02 PM
On 2006-08-28 10:22, Pure-chan wrote:

Can't you kick people out of the party in PSU? If so, I'm launching anyone that joins asking for "SUM FREE RAREZ?!". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Actually, yes you can kick people out of a room.

UniKoRn
Aug 28, 2006, 07:20 PM
In PSO, I think the only place where you needed a balanced team is Challenge Mode.

eg: more than one FO in the team made it kinda tough because of their lower HP and need for TP to attack... FO's going melee in Cmode was a little suicidal sometimes!

Phaze37
Aug 29, 2006, 04:33 AM
In PSO the best team (imo) was one competent force and the other 3 can be any combination of Hunters and Rangers. You only need one force because their support techniques are what make them valuable, and you only need one good force to support a party. Any combination can work though.