PDA

View Full Version : Using a gamepad on the PC

Jinto117
Aug 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
So ever since I decided to get the PC version of PSU I have been contemplating over whether or not to use a gamepad for play. Having never used one for a pc game I'm at a loss. I'm one who believes Phantasy Star is best played on a console, but ever since reading the news about the 360 version and it not being connected to the PS2 and PC user base I made up my mind. So basically what I'm asking is do you think I should use a gamepad to play PSU on the PC or should I just stick to using the keyes? By using a gamepad will the controls be awkward and clunky or will they be fine?

Microsoft annoucned they would be coming out with a wirless 360 controller for use on the PC. Does that mean I'll be able to play with PS2 users on my PC yet have high-res and console controls at the same time?

VioletSkye
Aug 27, 2006, 11:25 PM
I personally will be playing PSU on my PC with an XBox 360 controller because it seems more natural. Others may prefer the mouse/keyboard option and adapt to playing the game that way. Ultimately it depends on what you feel the most comfortable with. And yes, you will be able to play with PS2 users on your PC and still have higher-res and console controls. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well the gamepad works with PSU http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-27 21:26 ]</font>

Jinto117
Aug 27, 2006, 11:48 PM
Like you I also prefer console controls when it comes to PSO/PSU. I just wasn't sure if gamepads had the same feel and control like the console versions do. But from what you say the gamepads controls should be just fine. I'll take your word on that.

Inazuma
Aug 27, 2006, 11:55 PM
using a gamepad on pc is the same, if not better than on an actual console. you have more options open to you for how you set up your controls. i doubt psu on ps2 will let you change your control setup at all.

hypersaxon
Aug 28, 2006, 01:27 AM
An Xbox 360 pad will be perfect, I'm sure. It's got that Dreamcast-type layout with the analog stick up in the left, and the four face button setup.

Just don't get the PC version, get the regular Xbox 360 controller. It's $10 cheaper, and all you need to do to get it to work is download the drivers.

UniKoRn
Aug 28, 2006, 01:59 AM
I currently use an Xbox controller to play PSO Blue Burst on my PC. Using the keyboard is just awful. So yeah, I highly recommend getting a controller!

Although PSU will need more buttons, so I'll probably get a USB wired 360 controller because you don't need an adaptor for those.

Krupp
Aug 28, 2006, 03:34 AM
How well does this game control with just the mouse and keyboard? I'm curious.

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 28, 2006, 03:42 AM
Go Xbox 360 pad! I got one and it works wonders for any of my games (that accept controllers.)

And the fact that PSU is on 360 and is nearly identical to a PS2 controller (button layout wise.)

Legenden
Aug 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
A good alternative to the Xbox360 would be
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p990.htm

It is cheaper and have the first 6 buttions right where the Mega Drive used to have them:)
I used the RumblePad version for half a year now and had no problems.

Only thing I miss would be a Turbo buttion, witch would be perfect for a game like this, but looks like there are no PC gamepads I like who have that.

Fleece
Aug 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
I used a 360 pad on PSOBB and i got this program which is fucking amazing. it lets you replace ANY command with a button or stick, so any game that you couldnt use the joypad on you just bind the buttons to what the keys are on the kb and set one stick as mouse and your rocking.

Theres a 30 day free trial at :

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Its genius. give it a try on a first person shooter, it also comes with default layouts for almost every game and supports updates off the net, give it a go if you like it, buy it.

definately worth it if you own any dual analogue joypad and cant be bothered playing with the mouse and keyboard layout.

I use it on elder scrolls 4 : oblivion

Edit : I forgot to mention, that software enables the ring lights in the middle of your pad you know the ones for players 1 - 4.... LOL!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleece on 2006-08-28 10:09 ]</font>

mattdude
Aug 28, 2006, 01:02 PM
I just bought a Logitech controller, I would recomend a XBOX360 controller but.....Logitech controller works fine too.

kazuma56
Aug 28, 2006, 02:56 PM
I bought a PS2-PC adapter for my PC, it works great and i've been playing PSO:BB with my Ps2 controller just to get the "feel" of how it wil be when PSU hits shores for the PS2/PC.

Jinto117
Aug 28, 2006, 03:55 PM
On 2006-08-27 23:27, hypersaxon wrote:
An Xbox 360 pad will be perfect, I'm sure. It's got that Dreamcast-type layout with the analog stick up in the left, and the four face button setup.

Just don't get the PC version, get the regular Xbox 360 controller. It's $10 cheaper, and all you need to do to get it to work is download the drivers.

Now that I think about it, what is the point of the 360 gamepad when the original 360 wired controller already has a usb connection? They sell them as if they were two totally different products. I mean does the 360 gamepad come with installation software as where the console 360 wired controller doesn't?

Blueblur
Aug 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
This sounds great. I'm not a fan of the mouse and keyboard set-up. I definitely pick up another 360 controller for this (wired this time, of course).

VioletSkye
Aug 28, 2006, 05:09 PM
On 2006-08-28 13:55, Jinto117 wrote:

On 2006-08-27 23:27, hypersaxon wrote:

Now that I think about it, what is the point of the 360 gamepad when the original 360 wired controller already has a usb connection? They sell them as if they were two totally different products. I mean does the 360 gamepad come with installation software as where the console 360 wired controller doesn't?

Exactly. You can just download the drivers from Microsoft, or download the actual Xbox CD drivers from here:
http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html **
**Credit goes to Watashiwa for posting the above link in this thread:

http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=117528&forum=9&13

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-28 15:10 ]</font>

Nuclearranger
Aug 28, 2006, 05:13 PM
Take my word on it that saitek Gamepad up there is high quality n.n
Saitek has some very nice stuff n.n

Jinto117
Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 PM
If anyone has any questions about the 360 gamepad controller, I found this and it explained exactly what I needed to know.

"The difference between buying a normal non-wireless Xbox 360 controller and buying the "Xbox 360 Controller for Windows" is that the latter comes with a driver disc. That's it. The Windows version one is a little hard to find—we noticed that Best Buy is selling it for $5 more than the normal wired Xbox controller, but we confirmed with Microsoft that retailers are supposed to sell it for the exact same $39.99 price.

You don't even need the driver disc, because drivers are already up on Windows Update and are found automatically when you plug in the controller for the first time and choose the option to search online for drivers. In other words, if you want one of these things, you can just as easily buy the Xbox 360 controller and download the drivers, because there's no difference at all. Just make sure you don't buy a wireless controller, as they don't work with Windows."

Now I know what hypersaxon was talking about. Thank you buddy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinto117 on 2006-08-28 15:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinto117 on 2006-08-28 15:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinto117 on 2006-08-28 15:41 ]</font>

Zalana
Aug 28, 2006, 06:15 PM
I'd recommend the Xbox360 PC ver. of the controller and/or Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2.

Jinto117
Aug 28, 2006, 07:31 PM
Will the PC version of PSU support voice chat? Just asking since the 360 gamepad has the headset jack.

VioletSkye
Aug 28, 2006, 08:41 PM
No, but setting up a TeamSpeak or Ventrilo server is a snap, so voice chat will be easily available to PC players http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Parn
Aug 28, 2006, 08:58 PM
That's pretty much what two of my friends and myself will be doing on PSU. Having both text and voice chat at your disposal rocks. Gotta love technology.

Blueblur
Aug 28, 2006, 09:29 PM
If WoW players did it, why not us? It'll make the game much more entertaining. The PS2 version looks less attractive everyday.

Jinto117
Aug 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
But why do some people have this thing against voice chat in PSO/PSU? Sure, if your playing with some 12 year old noob it can be annoying but if you are playing with fellow intelligent fans and or friends then what's the big deal?

Phaze37
Aug 29, 2006, 02:37 PM
You'll definitely want to get a gamepad for PSU. The keyboard controls on Blue Burst were terrible. I still have to decide which controller I want to use though. Most people seem to recomend the xbox 360 controller, but the fact that it only has two shoulder buttons and less buttons than the PS2 controller alltogether might cause problems, since the game is designed with a PS2 controller in mind. Where the heck did the black and white buttons go?!? I used a standard xbox controller on blue burst and it worked fine, and it was great being able to set resta and anti to my black and white buttons.

I'm very picky about my controllers. I've looked at PS2-style PC controllers in various game stores and none of them are quite good enough. I was looking at the controller that Legenden linked to http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p990.htm but the square-ness of the base of the analog stick would bother me. Ideally I'd like mine to be octagonal like the gamecube analog stick but round like a PS2 analog stick is fine too. Just not square. I don't want to order anything online because shipping usually costs more than the product itself to ship it to my little island, but one of those PS2 to PC adaptors would be perfect for me. Why does all the good stuff have to be ordered online....

Phaze37
Aug 29, 2006, 02:42 PM
And Jinto, I'm against voice chat too, but mostly for personal reasons. I'm partially deaf so unless voice chat is loud and clear (unlike PSOX) its useless to me. And even if I could hear well it would still be hard to understand what people are saying when two or more people talk at once. With text you can be sure that your teammates will understand you properly, and you can set chat shortcuts for important phrases so that you can ask for help even faster than with voice chat.

AndrewLD16
Aug 29, 2006, 03:17 PM
I will definitely be using a gamepad for the PC. I tried using the keyboard with BB, and it was horrid (for me anyway >_>).

Jinto117
Aug 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
On 2006-08-29 12:42, Phaze37 wrote:
And Jinto, I'm against voice chat too, but mostly for personal reasons. I'm partially deaf so unless voice chat is loud and clear (unlike PSOX) its useless to me. And even if I could hear well it would still be hard to understand what people are saying when two or more people talk at once. With text you can be sure that your teammates will understand you properly, and you can set chat shortcuts for important phrases so that you can ask for help even faster than with voice chat.

Well yes you do have a point there. And I'm sorry about your hearing. But as for myself I have to at least give it a try for I have never tried it. I'm not sure how clear the audio will be on the PC, hopefully good. I'm sure a group of good buddies would prefer voice chat otherwise if one were to just join a random party then text chat would be acceptatble.

Legenden
Aug 30, 2006, 08:13 AM
Anyone knows any good PC gamepad with TURBO?
Only Pc pad with Turbo I can find is:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations.jspa?seriesId=71&productId=75

Also If I used something similar to this:
http://shop.soyousa.com/customer/product.php?productid=313&js=n
and connected a PS2 pad with Turbo, would it still work (with Turbo)?

Phaze37
Aug 30, 2006, 03:14 PM
I feel dumb. I was wrong about the Xbox 360 controller having fewer buttons. Noone I know has an Xbox 360 (We're all waiting for the Wii) so I've never had the chance to see one up close. I looked at it in the package and all I saw was the lack of black and white buttons. Now that I know that it has the same button layout as a PS2 controller, I'm going to use an Xbox 360 controller for PSU.

Jinto117
Aug 30, 2006, 06:59 PM
^ I'm sure you'll like the 360 gamepad very much. The controller itself is just to damn comfortable. You should be able to play long sessions without getting to cramped.

Undubbed
Aug 31, 2006, 07:32 AM
Using a keyboard in PSO BB is so dreadful. Only reason I use it is cause I don't feel like setting up my wirless controller to just play one game whose free subcription will end in a few days.

Kyuu
Aug 31, 2006, 12:29 PM
On 2006-08-30 13:14, Phaze37 wrote:
I feel dumb. I was wrong about the Xbox 360 controller having fewer buttons. Noone I know has an Xbox 360 (We're all waiting for the Wii) so I've never had the chance to see one up close. I looked at it in the package and all I saw was the lack of black and white buttons. Now that I know that it has the same button layout as a PS2 controller, I'm going to use an Xbox 360 controller for PSU.
With the differences being that the controller is more comfortable, more attractive, and instead of four shoulder buttons, it has two shoulder buttons and two analog trigger buttons.

Legenden
Aug 31, 2006, 02:21 PM
PS2 Gamepads has two analog trigger buttions, at least mine do:)