PDA

View Full Version : Ranger class actually fun?

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 06:04 PM
I was thinking about playing with a focus on Ranger this time around, but when I think about how much they sucked (IMHO) in PSO, I'm a little frightened. Could anyone tell me how they play on PSU, and, mostly, if it is fun?

RLoge21
Aug 28, 2006, 06:10 PM
Rangers were great in PSO and they are probably great on PSU as well.

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 06:15 PM
Well, like I said before, I hated PSO RAs. It was so boring to just stand there and shoot. It looks better on PSU, but I would like the opinion of a Beta player.

Blueblur
Aug 28, 2006, 06:20 PM
Depends on you played the class, man. I a few rangers and I had a lot of fun. I used rifles and melee weapons so I never got bored. Maybe you need to explore the class some more (in PSO)?

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 06:22 PM
Well it is a bit funner when you have a group and a good weapon, but I can't play PSOGC online, so its all offline with people level 80ish when my RA is like 20ish.

Blueblur
Aug 28, 2006, 06:26 PM
Its gets better. Rangers are tiresome in the early levels, but if you stick through it and get to Very Hard and Ultimate, you can get some decent rares and have some fun. Then again, playing offline can be boring period.

Yoruichi
Aug 28, 2006, 06:27 PM
Shooting like melee has no "combo" feater you shoot almost as fast as you can press the button. There is a default delay between shots but its short and after 3 shots you don't "pause". Theres also a aiming system which is neat for hitting monsters that fell down or in the air. I'm not sure if aiming at a normal monsters head or other vital spots grants more damage.

TheStoicOne
Aug 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
please get rid of this topic before someone competent sees it.

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 06:38 PM
Hmm. If I wasn't in such a good mood, I would take that as an insult.

Parn
Aug 28, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-08-28 16:36, TheStoicOne wrote:
please get rid of this topic before someone competent sees it.
You're one to talk. You can't even get your shift key to work.

The door is that way. ----------------->

mechatra
Aug 28, 2006, 06:39 PM
*someone competent*

This topic dissapoints me.

You're asking a question of personal tastes. People can advise all they want but its always going to be second hand experience.

Just do what you want, it's not going to kill you trying out different classes, particularly now since you can change classes whenever you really feel like it.

*EDIT*

Just to add, I do not mean this in any sort of offensive way at all. Im moreso just pointing out that you're asking a rather awkward question by asking "Is it fun?".

Perhaps rephrasing may help.

Just again, I don't mean to sound rude at all ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mechatra on 2006-08-28 16:41 ]</font>

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 06:43 PM
I don't really care if this topic dissapoints you. Yes, I am asking a question of personal tastes, but my question has yet to be answered. The closest I have gotten was a straight up answer of how they play. I want to know if you, the general public, finds Rangers on PSU fun or not. It isn't that hard, really.

EDIT:
Your edit made me less pissed off, thank you. I honestly thought you were saying that for the sake of being annoying. I relise it is a bit of an akward question, though, so you have a point there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: princejake2 on 2006-08-28 16:45 ]</font>

PandaMasterX4
Aug 28, 2006, 06:47 PM
I do understand where this guy is coming from. I myself couldn't get into RA in PSO. The auto targeting and shots with no down fault gave the people who played the job very little thought compared to say a HU and FO.

RA this time around does look a lot better and taking what Yoruichi said, it sounds like it. Photon Points limit the use of one weapon as well, so preperation is needed.

I liked being a FO how ever with duel mechs. Closed ranged rapid fire after a good stun, and i'd have loads of fun. I couldn't get the same enjoyment out of RA.

TheStoicOne
Aug 28, 2006, 06:51 PM
Parn. I'm dissapointed in you.

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 06:52 PM
What a witty retort from the dissapointed child.

TheStoicOne
Aug 28, 2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah...well I'm in a witty mood. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

mech259_
Aug 28, 2006, 07:01 PM
I don't think you'll like playing a RA in PSU if you didn't like it in PSO. I played a RA in PSO and in the PSU beta and I found it fun, but there weren't many differences. You still stand as far back as you can and shoot at the enemies, just this time you're not limited to 3-hit combos. However, you can add status effects to your weapons that have a chance of affecting the enemy with every shot, so you'll want to have multiple weapons on you to help inflict status effects and weaken enemies.

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 07:03 PM
Sounds alot worse then what the videos make it out to be.

Arrow203
Aug 28, 2006, 07:24 PM
I've played the PSU closed Beta on PC as a RAcast, might i add its quite fun imo with the FP option, also i loved the fact that my ammunition had levels http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif so i had to lvl up my fire bullets my plasma etc... overall i'ma choose RAcast in the actual game.

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the real responses, guys. Were the weapons varied enough to be enjoyable? How do dual handguns handle?

Arrow203
Aug 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
Eerrr.. I didn't do dual handguns, i mostly used the rifle, did experiment with the mechgun veriants tho but still dont like em lol, the rifle system is quite awesome when you go into first person mode http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

princejake2
Aug 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
Can you dual the mechguns? And are they full auto?

Sorry about all the questions, but I'm trying to make a decision.

JasonWFD
Aug 28, 2006, 09:31 PM
Didn't play the beta, but I'm sure you can dual mechgun as well as dual handgun.

I saw a video of someone using a single mechgun with a saber. He just spammed the button while strafing and skipping back and forth, lining up the enemies into his stream of constant fire. Ate up PP like nobody's business, and each shot was small on damage, but there were so many numbers!

If anything, dual handguns and mechguns win on style points IMO.

Bleu
Aug 28, 2006, 10:37 PM
Yea, I've seen that movie too. Although I did not play the BETA or the Premier :sob:, as far as I know, dual handguns you can do. Dual mechguns, no. The machine gun looks like its full auto in the videos, kinda scary how fast you go though the PP. But I'm still waiting for the JP release to find out the real story. Is it thursday yet? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

-Source: PSUPedia

Kyuu
Aug 28, 2006, 10:50 PM
I myself have been much, much more interested in playing the Ranger class in PSU than I ever was in PSO (I had practically zero interest in the class in PSO, really). My only worry is if PP management will turn out to encourage smart gameplay and variety, or just become a chore. Also, I rather wish Bullet Arts were shot with a different button like Photon Arts, rather than passively affecting every shot from the weapon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-28 20:50 ]</font>

Axios-
Aug 28, 2006, 11:02 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned strafing yet. Being able to move while shooting is a plus for me. Additionally, you have the first person view with some weapons. You aren't restrained to a combo system so the guns will act a bit more like guns. Finally, there are different bullets and status effects at your disposal. I didn't play the beta so I don't know how 'fun' PSU rangers are when compared to PSU hunters and forces for me, but it certainly appears that PSU rangers will have enough variety to break out of the monotony of PSO rangers. Note: my RAmar in PSO was my favorite character.

Kakashi_Xero
Aug 28, 2006, 11:02 PM
wow these posts are funny to read...lol

Sgt_Shligger
Aug 28, 2006, 11:10 PM
Fun is a subjective term. Fun is the same as 'distraction.' You aren't having fun when you play games, your being easily distracted.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 29, 2006, 01:08 AM
I was a HUmar in PSO but played like a half-assed RAmar with just handguns until Very Hard mode when it became necessary to switch to Swords on occasion (but still handguns on bosses). I found it boring the whole way through (both my half-assed Rangerness and when I finally made use of my Hunterness) except for when I found out about quick weapon switching.

While I have only seen videos and read in forums about PSU, Rangerness (not to mention Hunterness, Forceness, the whole damn game) has gotten more than significantly better. Talking about Rangers specifically, you can fully manually aim your attacks (no auto-target to FAIL BABYSIT! you), aim in first person (but you stop moving) with most guns (it seems that Machineguns and Shotguns can't). You can strafe and fire with the small guns, but I think you need to stop to fire the bigger guns. You'll have the advantage over other classes when it comes to (boss) enemy weak points and flying enemies. PP (think TP or ammo) limits how much you can shoot, but you should still be plenty able to thump enemies with a (Ranger-usable) melee weapon when recharging and/or conserving ammo.

If I'm wrong on something, please correct me. Especially you beta testers/Premiere players.

therealAERO
Aug 29, 2006, 01:26 AM
I switched back and forth between Ranger, and Hunter on my Character D'Jango. I gotta say if it didn't eat up all my PP I would be more than happy to stay a ranger, especially since dual wielding hand guns is pretty sweet, and having a mechgun is always fun(Full on AUTO, wastes pp in a matter of seconds, but still fun)

I reccomend for PSU that you try out every class before you choose.

"Playing is Believing"

Numnuttz
Aug 29, 2006, 01:48 AM
well you can do what im planing on doing and that is make one of each class and switch off from each one. i decided why have only one class when i can have them all. Also since the inventory is shared between your characters its easy to grab the right equip for the class that your using or so i hope.

Arias
Aug 29, 2006, 03:32 AM
I'll start off with a ranger cuz I luv em, but I htink I'll be switching to a Hunter pretty soon, since they look like a lot more fun in PSU than in PSO.

Don't get me wrong, i loved rangers in PSO

princejake2
Aug 29, 2006, 06:41 AM
Well with the whole job-class thing, you can switch between each on the fly, right? Are there penalties besides maybe not being able to use the S-Rank weapons?

Valkayree
Aug 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
Rangers are support. They enfeeble the enemy using freeze and paralyze mostly, keep it so forces can nuke instead of heal, and so that hunters can meele without taking as much damage. Plinking from a distance works very well as a strategy in some cases, and if you ever played s-rank runs in PSO you would know that a ranger is mandatory. Not to mention if you are a cast, you can also see, set, and disarm traps. To say they suck would be to say that your thumb sucks because all it can do is help you grasp objects.

Kyuu
Aug 29, 2006, 10:56 AM
On 2006-08-29 04:41, princejake2 wrote:

Well with the whole job-class thing, you can switch between each on the fly, right? Are there penalties besides maybe not being able to use the S-Rank weapons?
No, not "on the fly." You can only switch classes in a city, at the appropriate counter. And each time you switch, it costs money, with the cost rising each time you do it. The purpose isn't to allow anyone to constantly switch between classes on one character, but to allow them to change to a different class if they find they're not enjoying the one they're using, without having to make a new character.

Mewn
Aug 29, 2006, 11:03 AM
Rangers are good fun on PSU, in my opinion. They are more support-orientated though, as you use bullets to disable or otherwise impede enemies so that Hunters and Forces can finish them off. That said, Rangers have a few melee options themselves, and are capable of dealing decent damage, they just don't do it as well as Hunters or Forces.

Another thing to note is that playing a Ranger well requires strategy (at least at the start when you don't necessarily have guns with lots of PP), since if you go in all guns blazing (literally) you may well end up with no PP left on any of your guns, in which case you'll be forced to melee.

AlucardTepes
Aug 29, 2006, 08:52 PM
Rangers do sound like a lot of fun in this game. It sounds like there will be a little more strategy to use them which will keep them interesting. I really can't wait to try them out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlucardTepes on 2006-08-29 19:16 ]</font>

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 29, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ranger is the 2nd best class (Force being Number 1 of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) in PSO how could anyone be dissapointed with it? hopefully its not because some of you the same mag for all jobs, no I am not suggesting a dex mag, RAs don't need much dex, they need power and mind(to boost the effectiveness of shifta to in turn raise the pwnage of shot weapons)

Zinsian
Aug 30, 2006, 02:17 AM
Manual aiming would seem interesting to me. Now it seems more like an FPS.

Valkayree
Aug 30, 2006, 10:12 AM
On 2006-08-29 19:33, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
Ranger is the 2nd best class (Force being Number 1 of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif) in PSO how could anyone be dissapointed with it? hopefully its not because some of you the same mag for all jobs, no I am not suggesting a dex mag, RAs don't need much dex, they need power and mind(to boost the effectiveness of shifta to in turn raise the pwnage of shot weapons)

Lol, spoken like a true force. Imo, rangers need DEX more than power, because we aren't trying to do insane damage, we are trying to get that low hit% status effect to stick. And as a cast (highest accuracy ftw) I wont be needing much mst.

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 30, 2006, 11:52 PM
Oh i'm not saying rangers don't need dex, they just don't need it as much as the other classes so you can be more liberal about it. It doesn't need to be their primary focus, yeah special attacks are fun but in the end you want them dead more than anything. If your not into soloing then this style may not appeal to you if your more into backline/support. With high power, mind, and some decent Dex you can tear everything up with Shot series weapons more efficiently than a HU with high attack and a partisan or slicer. You are also primed for TTF runs since shot series weapons own the hell out of the Nano Dragon, De Rol Le and Vol Opt.

Pirat
Aug 31, 2006, 02:11 AM
hi, i'm new.
i like rangers in pso and also want to play one in psu.
but i dont understand how this PP-thing works with guns.
so this is like ammo and with every shot you loose pp? and when its empty you cant use the gun anymore? and how do you reload the weapon? items or does it reload itself?
would be nice if somebody could explain this to me. thanks