PDA

View Full Version : Do You think they will update offline?

SClass
Aug 29, 2006, 01:45 AM
Do You think they will update offline?
I mean like new clothes,weapon ect.. for Extra Mode?

Kimil
Aug 29, 2006, 02:17 AM
KNowing ST.... No

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 29, 2006, 02:38 AM
Knowing ST, PSU version 2

Killuminati
Aug 29, 2006, 02:46 AM
No.

A2K
Aug 29, 2006, 02:47 AM
For these sorts of things, it's usually only the dynamic, online component that's updated: either out of necessity (bug and exploit fixes) or for new content (expansions, etc.) Oftentimes single player modes--campaigns, story modes, what have you--are left alone even when the multiplayer components are dramatically altered.

In PSU's case, though, I imagine in Extra Mode a good majority of the clothes and what not will be available, although you might have to earn it. I doubt all of it will be, though--some things I can see being exclusive to Story or Network Mode. Extra Mode is just that: "extra". It's a bonus in and of itself.

Zalana
Aug 29, 2006, 02:52 AM
There's a possibility. lol >_>

Natrokos
Aug 29, 2006, 02:55 AM
If they make an expansion for online they might include updates for offline mode.

Arias
Aug 29, 2006, 03:38 AM
I like the clothes of all the story characters, though for Extra Mode... You only have one chance http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If you don't want to destroy your characters looks, make him/her already on the PSU creation site

Phaze37
Aug 29, 2006, 03:53 AM
If they make an expansion for online they might include updates for offline mode.
These updates would have to be small enough to fit on a PS2 memory card. New weapons and clothing would probably be too big. Online can potentially receive much bigger updates because they are kept on the server, not a tiny memory card that's only meant to hold game saves. Besides, it's not really fair to force people to go online to get all of the offline content, because the offline game is mainly meant for those who aren't going online with PSU.

Natrokos
Aug 29, 2006, 04:00 AM
I wish they had made PSU compatible with ps2's HDD.

DraginHikari
Aug 29, 2006, 08:37 AM
On 2006-08-29 02:00, Natrokos wrote:
I wish they had made PSU compatible with ps2's HDD.

The PS2 hardrive was not used well and the slim PS2 couldn't use them anyway.

Saiffy
Aug 29, 2006, 08:52 AM
On 2006-08-29 01:53, Phaze37 wrote:

These updates would have to be small enough to fit on a PS2 memory card. New weapons and clothing would probably be too big. Online can potentially receive much bigger updates because they are kept on the server, not a tiny memory card that's only meant to hold game saves. Besides, it's not really fair to force people to go online to get all of the offline content, because the offline game is mainly meant for those who aren't going online with PSU.

You can't just create items serverside, you do need to download data to update the client. Weapon data isn't huge, though.

Plus the game would need the textures for it.

SephYuyX
Aug 29, 2006, 09:45 AM
On 2006-08-29 06:52, Saiffy wrote:
Plus the game would need the textures for it.

Welcome to FFXI where new content is still being used by 4y/o textures.

Saiffy
Aug 29, 2006, 09:48 AM
Because certainly, two different companies use the same business practice with two different games.

Can we stop ignoring the fact that PSU doesn't = FFXI, for like, 2 minutes?

SephYuyX
Aug 29, 2006, 09:53 AM
On 2006-08-29 07:48, Saiffy wrote:
Because certainly, two different companies use the same business practice with two different games.

Name one game that doesnt reuse textures.

It's the most practical (yet crappy) way to incorporate new content.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-29 07:54 ]</font>

daddy_zach
Aug 29, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-08-29 07:53, SephirothYuyX wrote:

On 2006-08-29 07:48, Saiffy wrote:

Name one game that doesnt reuse textures.

It's the most practical (yet crappy) way to incorporate new content.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-08-29 07:54 ]</font>
dragon quest

Phaze37
Aug 29, 2006, 04:02 PM
The PS2 hardrive was not used well and the slim PS2 couldn't use them anyway.
Actually, a friend of mine told me that you can get an external hard drive for slim PS2s. Before I heard this, I thought that not requiring a hard drive was a good idea, but if my friend is correct about the external hard drive, not requiring a HD is a bad idea because any PS2 can have one. Oh well, at least this means we don't have to go out and buy hard drives for our PS2.

MrPOW
Aug 29, 2006, 04:44 PM
Before I heard this, I thought that not requiring a hard drive was a good idea, but if my friend is correct about the external hard drive, not requiring a HD is a bad idea because any PS2 can have one.

Only the hardest of the hardcore would go out and buy a hardrive just for one game when its not bundled with the game like FFXI was. Requiring it would just (seriously) decrease sales of the game. I'm betting we'll get several "upgrades" in the form of new versions of the game (e.g. Version 2, Episodes I & II). If the Wii takes off I wouldn't be suprised to see PSU show up there with an upgraded version. Because the Wii's specs are alot closer to the PS2 then the 360 and PS3's the game wouldn't look so "bad" on it. If anything they could use the extra horsepower to implement splitscreen play. But now I'm getting off topic...