PDA

View Full Version : whats up with that

Jaske
Aug 29, 2006, 04:46 PM
yeh so I noticed in a lot of movies i've seen that there is attack lag, like the enemies and players don't react to attack when they happen and whats worse it looks like it's 1 to 3 seconds after the attack that they react to it... well just wondering if everyone thinks thats a beta thing or something, also with character movement on the online movies all the people other than the player were doing the teleport lag thing.

Dingo
Aug 29, 2006, 04:51 PM
Those attacks are probably run through the server before any damage is done or something. Can't really think of another reason.

EDIT

*200 fricken posts baby!*

sorry about that...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dingo on 2006-08-29 14:52 ]</font>

Valkayree
Aug 29, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I just thought it was the video streaming quality... Happens all the time with damn near every video I download. I doubt it's the game, well I hope it's not the game.

Saner
Aug 29, 2006, 05:00 PM
even FF11 has a slight delay of registering damage. you see the hit count but it isn't until a moment or two later that they finally fall.

quite natural. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Emrald
Aug 29, 2006, 05:00 PM
It's only one to three seconds...I never even noticed

zandra117
Aug 29, 2006, 05:01 PM
Most of the PSU videos found on youtube were filmed by JP closed beta players playing from the US. All damage was transferred through the server so there was a delay. JP players don't experience as much of a delay as US players playing on the JP server. When the US version is released, US players on the US server should experience little to no damage delay.

Ether
Aug 29, 2006, 05:03 PM
In PSO, nearly everything except is controlled client side. You hit an enemy, the game decides how much damage you did, and that info is sent to the server

In PSU, you hit an enemy, that info goes to the server, it decides how much damage you did, the number comes back to you, and then the enemy flinches. This is why the game is a lot less 56k friendly than PSO, theres a heck of a lot more data being sent, and playing a hunter will be difficult if enemies never flinch to your attacks

Saner
Aug 29, 2006, 05:12 PM
hmm I wonder why they switched it around? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Hozanto
Aug 29, 2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah but not all videos were like that when a hunter attacked.

vitius137
Aug 29, 2006, 05:42 PM
On 2006-08-29 15:12, Saner wrote:
hmm I wonder why they switched it around? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

probably some sort of hack preventing method.

Pure-chan
Aug 29, 2006, 05:48 PM

mmm... I think I read somewhere that changing it cut out the damage-negate issues? Could a CBT'er possibly verify that for us?

Cross
Aug 29, 2006, 05:54 PM

Because any information that the client is allowed to decide on its own is a potential cheat waiting to happen. If hits are registered on the client, it's easy to just change the data the client sends and say that you were never hit, ever, no matter what's going on.

Side note: Haha at '"even" FFXI has a delay'. That game has the worst in-built lag I've ever seen. It's like playing a game with a constant 500+ ping. But the point does stand; it's present in every game that isn't completely overrun by east cheats.

Saner
Aug 29, 2006, 05:57 PM
um Why do you have that silver and green flower symbols under your post?

Cross
Aug 29, 2006, 05:59 PM
Witchcraft.

Phaze37
Aug 29, 2006, 05:59 PM
I'm not a CBT'er (whatever that is) but they made it so that damage is calculated server-side to prevent damage cancel. Damage cancel had a significant impact on PSO. Because of damage cancel, constant technique nuking with a Force was a bad idea. I didn't learn that until my FOnewm was level 120 and now he's pretty much useless because i gave him a nuking build when actually a melee build is far better. I had to start a new force who's a support/melee FOmarl at level 82

Jaske
Aug 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
so yeah I guess we'll find out... I don't know to me it just seems like a big issue because on a more of an action based game you'd expect quicker reactions. I mean if you watch some of the online movies the other character movements look terrible compared to the controller but oh well hopefully it's not that way.

Earthsunderer
Aug 29, 2006, 09:10 PM
On 2006-08-29 15:57, Saner wrote:
um Why do you have that silver and green flower symbols under your post?

If you hover your mouse arrow, you should probably be able to read his ICQ-status. The green flower is a direct link to the ICQ-website.

ICQ is a chat-program.

Kers
Aug 29, 2006, 09:22 PM
On 2006-08-29 15:01, zandra117 wrote:
Most of the PSU videos found on youtube were filmed by JP closed beta players playing from the US. All damage was transferred through the server so there was a delay. JP players don't experience as much of a delay as US players playing on the JP server. When the US version is released, US players on the US server should experience little to no damage delay.

Jaske, I think Jandra117 cleared it up.
Tips to avoid this: have a decent internet connection, play the appropriate version of PSU for the closest servers, and avoid playing on overpopulated servers.