PDA

View Full Version : Can we really not get along?

jungleking45
Aug 30, 2006, 08:26 AM
according to an interview I read, it claims that the jappenese and u.s. servers will be kept seperate from one another because "Japanese and American players just get can't get along". Personally I have mixed feelings, yes because the game will be realeased in Japan first, they will have had a head start, which will be a bit of a pain, and some naughty little otakus will have figured out how to hack this game (I mean come on, name one MMORPG that doesn't have people who cheat. But on the flipside, that doesn't mean we absoulutely hate eachother, and in time we'll be about as strong as they are, and its not like there are other games where they manage to live in harmony (sarcasim). What do you guys think?

Halcyon17
Aug 30, 2006, 08:40 AM
It worked great for blue burst and i appreciate them doing it again. I expect inazuma's answer to be along the same lines http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

p.s. my copy just arrived

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Halcyon17 on 2006-08-30 06:48 ]</font>

Zeig123
Aug 30, 2006, 08:43 AM
yah I know kinda what you mean but I really dont care if there seperate or not......just as long as I get to play

jungleking45
Aug 30, 2006, 08:43 AM
you've got a point, but its still kind depressing...least for me it is.....

Frezzo
Aug 30, 2006, 08:54 AM
one problem could be that they dont speak any language besides japanese and only a few of them do speak english ... never had big problems playing with japanese people challenge-mode on PSO was so funny @ japan prime time there was a ship always crowed by that time i didnt notice any problems at all... but then in FF11 i noticed there was always a big NO .... English party no thanks^^ and i rarely managed to play with japanese gamer as far as i can remember i had maybe 10 partys with japanese gamer in FF11 (played allmost 2 years^^)
Another thing could be that the japan gamers are usually older then the Usa- EU audience for videogames... my 2 cents

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Frezzo on 2006-08-30 06:56 ]</font>

SephYuyX
Aug 30, 2006, 09:03 AM
Generally it's the Japanese who treat Americans like crap. Since the game comes out for them first they have to deal with us noobs when it comes out for us. In FFXI for example.. Most JP only deal with JP, the party with JP and do quests with JP and dont like to do stuff with NA, however not all of them are like that.

But unless you use perfect Kana (If you use Romaji they will ignore you), they wont want to have a thing to do with you.

jungleking45
Aug 30, 2006, 09:04 AM
brr.... that's pretty cold.

Halcyon17
Aug 30, 2006, 09:19 AM
On 2006-08-30 07:03, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Generally it's the Japanese who treat Americans like crap. Since the game comes out for them first they have to deal with us noobs when it comes out for us. In FFXI for example.. Most JP only deal with JP, the party with JP and do quests with JP and dont like to do stuff with NA, however not all of them are like that.

But unless you use perfect Kana (If you use Romaji they will ignore you), they wont want to have a thing to do with you.

Generally it's the Americans who treat Americans like crap. Have a serious think about that one.

Valkayree
Aug 30, 2006, 10:05 AM
On 2006-08-30 06:26, jungleking45 wrote:
"Japanese and American players just get can't get along".

I know in FFXI, speaking from personal experience, american players are willing to party with whoever, but Japanese players seem to have a preference of JP only. They aren't willing to use autotranslator for the most part, and like to laugh at the NA most all the time and treat you like you are inferior when they do accept you into a party. (I know the "w" stands for lol, and they always add it after typing my name for some reason.) Eh, maybe it is for the better, if nothing else than for knowing that the day I get the game I won't hear that "some naughty otaku" has hacked it.

DraginHikari
Aug 30, 2006, 10:10 AM
Oddly I never saw quite that kind of hostility in the GCN verison of PSO. I never had any issues playing with them when I did. But then again all kinds of people have their bad seeds as well.

phunk
Aug 30, 2006, 10:17 AM

QFT

and its not just NA, its sometimes the Europeans that get put on blast from JP players.

Not all are like that but some tend to be elitists.

To each his own though, I find these games are best played when the community as a whole can understand that its a MMO and you'll have to learn that you're not the only one on earth; there are other cultures out there and got to respect that.

jungleking45
Aug 30, 2006, 10:42 AM
I think one problem might be that Sega Team is looking at the bad instead of good. Yes there are players who refuse to play when anyone except those from their country. But their also those who are willing to help out newbs (not noobs). It might be that sega team is afraid of the situation getting out of control, and figure its easier just to kill the possibility of chaos all togther, than have actually MANAGE and MODERATE a server. my 4 cents

Shadow_Wing
Aug 30, 2006, 11:03 AM
I like the seperation, as much as it's cool playing with JPs, NAs, and EUs in FFXI the whole I can't speak to JPs and they can't speak to me made my experience with them utter hell. They myth of JPs being "better" or "skilled" is as much of a lie as JPs elitiest thinking that NAs all suck.

On the most part I'll always take a NA over a JP for the sheer reason trying to communicate with them is impossible, trying to convoy "Lets move to a different area because this place is getting crowded" using a limiting auto translator is almost impossible. Or trying to give out complicated instructions on specific matters and fights are almost impossible.

Being a very popular job on FFXI I've played with both sides of the world, and it isn't the fact that many JPs are shunning us, it's infact that they too can't communicate to us as well. Some may say that it's their second language but hell, I'm Canadian and can't speak a lot of French.

I've teamed with a lot of JPs myself to know that most are pleasent people, and many of them aren't the "Elitiest" most people think they are, don't assume most JPs players think of us are "lesser players" (though they hate to take risks I find... which makes their party experiences kinda boring lol). Many JPs I've met agree with why I don't party with any JPs if I had the choice, the communication barrier sucks and I rather play with people I can understand.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2006-08-30 09:04 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Aug 30, 2006, 01:30 PM
it isn't the fact that many JPs are shunning us, it's infact that they too can't communicate to us as well. Some may say that it's their second language but hell, I'm Canadian and can't speak a lot of French.

While I too saw my fair share of rude Japanese players in my 3 years of FFXI, of the Japanese people I did know who spoke english, this was the number one response to why JP players prefer not to play with US players: inability to communicate.

Nekomimi
Aug 30, 2006, 01:34 PM
If you think the average JP online gamer is rude, try getting on a PVP server (any game) sometime and having a conversation with 'CloudRox21462' or 'Sefiroth' or 'GokuSSJ4DAMAN!'.

Spellbinder
Aug 30, 2006, 01:37 PM
Well for me there was somewhat rude (in my opinion, but maybe a cultural misunderstanding) and then there were scenarios which include my favorite quote that I'll never forget "NA **** NA KILL" and a bunch of other profane use of english they threw around. The former, I shrug off.. the latter, I consider rude.

Authenticate
Aug 30, 2006, 01:54 PM
I never noticed any JPs being elitist when I was playing my RDM in FFXI. I got plenty of invites from them, I even put "EN ONRY" as a joke in my search comment and still got invites from 'em. Maybe I never ran into the bad ones, I dunno. I never really saw much heat between people unless it was about those world bosses.

It doesn't bother me that they're not connected, but why not even give people the option? I wouldn't want to play on the JP servers even if they were connected, just because of the extra latency. I can see why others may want to, though.

ulyoth
Aug 30, 2006, 02:03 PM
I spent almost my first 6 months on PSOGC only playing on the Japanese servers and the vast majority of the time they were great, im dissapointed they are not connected but what can we do? Life goes on i suppose..

Kers
Aug 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
It doesn't bother me that they're not connected, but why not even give people the option? I wouldn't want to play on the JP servers even if they were connected, just because of the extra latency. I can see why others may want to, though.

Maybe it's because of the difference in the online progression. Since the JP version is released first, I suppose it would have more content unlocked before our's does. If that's a reason, it would make some sense to me.

takuhi
Aug 30, 2006, 02:06 PM
It's sort of heart-breaking, because if you remember when PSO came out, all Yuji Naka ever talked about was his vision of bringing the people of the world together with his icon-based chat and whatnot. Then as soon as he's gone, they dump out the melting pot and try again.

I think it sucks. They should have Japanese and American and European servers, but anyone should be able to enter them. That way people who prefer to play with people of their own cultures (a group that will probably include 100% of the malicious assholes who ruin the experience for other people) won't have trouble finding them, but people who want an interesting cultural experience can go to another country's server.

Kers
Aug 30, 2006, 02:14 PM
Well if there would be a couple US servers that are connected to the other versions, it would be kind of wierd to be in servers of different phases in the online story. I dunno, it could be addressed or argued about more.

Fleece
Aug 30, 2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah Lucky Japan, I have to be put on the American Servers and well no offense to anyone but a lot of you are morons.

Blitzkommando
Aug 30, 2006, 02:27 PM
I had a number of Japanese buddies so to speak on PSOGC. We even would teach each other a little bit of each other's language which was fun. It was something I didn't much care for about BB and I see I won't care much for it in PSU. I see the reasoning for it, and it comes from both sides of the Pacific. Oh well. C'est la vie.

White_Zephyr
Aug 30, 2006, 03:55 PM
On 2006-08-30 08:05, Valkayree wrote:

I know in FFXI, speaking from personal experience, american players are willing to party with whoever, but Japanese players seem to have a preference of JP only. They aren't willing to use autotranslator for the most part, and like to laugh at the NA most all the time and treat you like you are inferior when they do accept you into a party. (I know the "w" stands for lol, and they always add it after typing my name for some reason.) Eh, maybe it is for the better, if nothing else than for knowing that the day I get the game I won't hear that "some naughty otaku" has hacked it.

First of all, this whole topic is totally biased. As for FFXI, if you even bothered to learn a fraction of the Japanese language and/or learned how to play FFXI correctly, you would not be shunned by Japanese players. More than 60% of the English speaking players on FFXI, (also speaking from personal experience), were mentally incompetent or lazy or both. Simply, they could not play. Many times I was asked by Japanese parties to join, I would respond in English, they would say oh sorry JPN only, then I would just simply say {ꂪ*킩܂..
Bam...invite, (and might I add they were the best parties I was ever in). So don't say the Japanese are elitist, it's more like NA players have again and again labeled themselves as dumb through their actions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: White_Zephyr on 2006-08-30 13:58 ]</font>

Sev
Aug 30, 2006, 06:23 PM
On 2006-08-30 13:55, White_Zephyr wrote:

On 2006-08-30 08:05, Valkayree wrote:

First of all, this whole topic is totally biased. As for FFXI, if you even bothered to learn a fraction of the Japanese language and/or learned how to play FFXI correctly, you would not be shunned by Japanese players. More than 60% of the English speaking players on FFXI, (also speaking from personal experience), were mentally incompetent or lazy or both. Simply, they could not play. Many times I was asked by Japanese parties to join, I would respond in English, they would say oh sorry JPN only, then I would just simply say {ꂪ*킩܂..
Bam...invite, (and might I add they were the best parties I was ever in). So don't say the Japanese are elitist, it's more like NA players have again and again labeled themselves as dumb through their actions.

If this whole topic is biased. You're not helping the situation.

60% of the Online gaming communitty in general, both English and Non-English are mentally incapable. I have no problem playing with a language barrier, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a hassle. Why the hell should I speak Japanese just to get a party invite when they won't speak English to get one from me? Isn't that a double-standard or am I missing something?

We can say it would've been best to give an option... But in the end that's Sonic Team's decision. It's already decided that the US and EU versions would be behind in content, so that's one hurdle already. Then you would have to maintain these speciffic servers that have to cater to EU, JP, and US aside from the one that just cater to their speciffic regions. I just have to assume that'd be extra work that they might not feel like doing. I thought it was even said that it would be possible for them to connect us later, but don't you think it would be wise to wait until we're caught up in terms of content?

This whole topic is biased, in one direction or in the other. What people seem to forget, is that being a stupid jerk isn't restricted by region, it's universal. It's easier to get offended by the negative comments made by people outside of your country, race, and religions. That's probably why everything is seperated in the first place. What's the difference between as jerk from New York, and jerk from Greece, and an jerk from Osaka? Only where they live and what they look like. Either way, they're gonna be annoying right?

Edited for language before someone else edits it for me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sev on 2006-08-30 16:31 ]</font>

Ffuzzy-Logik
Aug 30, 2006, 06:30 PM
On 2006-08-30 07:19, Halcyon17 wrote:

Generally it's people who treat other people like crap. Have a serious think about that one.

Fixed.

regardless of their nationalities, age, or any other factors, people will just never get along.

CypherGreen
Aug 30, 2006, 06:36 PM
Well from all mypso experiance most jp do speak english at some level...
A fair few quite fluently..
The jp/eu-us divide annoys me...
My friends and i would spend days having fun in c-mode which was almost entirely JP

Although it would be arare occasion (apart from for C-mode) that i'd go to the jp ships it annoys me that the choice has been taken away...

Also we noticed as long as you mentioned you were English, not american they wouldnt run away/be nasty.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CypherGreen on 2006-08-30 16:38 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Aug 30, 2006, 06:58 PM
I think an easy solution to the problem would be to have the majority of the servers segregated - with one or two "Shared" servers that anyone can access. This will allow players from the EU, JP, and US to mingle together if they so choose - but also allow players to return to the sanctuary of their own regions servers should they decide that they don't want to play with forigners - which is something they largely couldn't do on PSO.

Sev
Aug 30, 2006, 07:13 PM
On 2006-08-30 16:58, Sinue_v2 wrote:
I think an easy solution to the problem would be to have the majority of the servers segregated - with one or two "Shared" servers that anyone can access. This will allow players from the EU, JP, and US to mingle together if they so choose - but also allow players to return to the sanctuary of their own regions servers should they decide that they don't want to play with forigners - which is something they largely couldn't do on PSO.

It's a great idea, I'm just wondering how much trouble it would be to implement it and to have it run fairly well for all the players on it. Plus with the servers being limited to around 500... Then again, it would be better then nothing.

EGO-BOT
Aug 30, 2006, 07:41 PM
I dont think the relationship between Japanese and western players really so bad we have to be separated.

I doubt separation has anything to do with the Japanese players having a head start, because as with PSO youll just start games with people that are the same level as you. And if language was an issue then the German, Italian, French, Spanish etc players all be separated too.

On 2006-08-30 12:06, takuhi wrote:
It's sort of heart-breaking, because if you remember when PSO came out, all Yuji Naka ever talked about was his vision of bringing the people of the world together with his icon-based chat and whatnot. Then as soon as he's gone, they dump out the melting pot and try again.

I think it sucks. They should have Japanese and American and European servers, but anyone should be able to enter them. That way people who prefer to play with people of their own cultures (a group that will probably include 100% of the malicious assholes who ruin the experience for other people) won't have trouble finding them, but people who want an interesting cultural experience can go to another country's server.

I agree with all this. Great post.

Jinto117
Aug 30, 2006, 07:43 PM
Japan is still mad about that bomb we dropped on them a few years back.

EGO-BOT
Aug 30, 2006, 07:45 PM
On 2006-08-30 17:43, Jinto117 wrote:

Yeah thats probably the reason.

Shiro_Ryuu
Aug 30, 2006, 07:58 PM
On 2006-08-30 12:06, takuhi wrote:

I agree, I mean, I also played PSO with some Japanese people and they haven't been giving me problems or something, they seemed pretty cool, but then again, I am able to speak some Japanese and have mastered both katanana and hiragana so that might help somewhat. Its sux that I won't be able to play with the Japanese in this game though.

phunk
Aug 30, 2006, 08:01 PM
On 2006-08-30 17:45, EGO-BOT wrote:

As bad as that is I couldn't help but laugh at it.

Jinto117
Aug 30, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yes as bad as my comment was It was the first thing that popped into my head oddly enough.

Ryoten
Aug 30, 2006, 08:24 PM
Well it may be WAYYYYY to late to add this within the game but why not have different server for Americans to play with other Americans, Japanese to play with Japanese, or everyone to play together on one server. But just thats me talking...

Niki
Aug 30, 2006, 08:27 PM
On 2006-08-30 13:55, White_Zephyr wrote:
So don't say the Japanese are elitist, it's more like NA players have again and again labeled themselves as dumb through their actions.

As a citizen of the USA, I prefer the term 'ignorant'.

jungleking45
Aug 30, 2006, 08:27 PM
why can't we be friends...why can't we be friends.........

AlucardTepes
Aug 30, 2006, 09:12 PM
Something tells me it's just running international servers on a game of this caliber is a headache that SEGA doesn't want to deal with. I played FFXI for a couple years(which, by the way, had no problem with JP players) back, and while the auto-translator was nice, it was a bit of a hassle. I had no problem with the JP players, but I would prefer an English-speaking player of an equal skill level.

I'm kind of glad that I don't have to worry about auto-translating when running a party in PSU. It's one thing to do it in FFXI where there is lots of downtime, but PSU is an action-RPG with constant motion. You have to attack and also be aware of your surroundings. Maybe SEGA feels auto-translating and mixing the servers is one hassle too many. That's my guess.

DrizaSiegmund
Aug 31, 2006, 07:12 AM
Generally it's the Americans who treat Americans like crap. Have a serious think about that one.

But it doesnt end there, lets dig deeper. A high percentage of US players on online games are also known for:
#1 assuming everyone knows english
#2 spamming (you tell me which jp players spam)
#3 verbally abusing one another
#4 begging

#5 sticking together when it comes to rascism, but competing for superiority against one another otherwise :J

I have been in too many US exp partys in FFXI where an error would occur, and that person is isolated and insulted, as opposed to the large amount of jp partys where errors can be fixed cause they take time, as do all learning processes.
It's the american lack of understanding of this, and many things that arent concidered that lead to too much stupidity. And before u even jump to conclusions, no i am not anti-american, no i am not a japan-fan.

The BIGGEST server seperation problem is that the PAL servers are soooo going to be seperate from the others, i know it, you know it, i fear it. Now to spend my time putting up with "plz" "join" and other assorted rudeness. Enjoy your Servers people! i know japan sure is.

Chronicbeast
Aug 31, 2006, 11:28 AM
They're looking at the fact that on PSO GCN, it was mainly NA/EU causing the sever problems. Therefore, a handfull of people brought down (or up should i say) a strong barrier of distrust between JP and NA/EU gamers. The thing about using perfect kana if false. I used romanji on them, and they got good laugh out of it, but they were nice about it (or at least pretending to be). But, I've actually sat and chatted with them everynow and then. Especially with this 32 yr old HuNewearl XD.

PJ
Aug 31, 2006, 11:43 AM
This is funny

On PSOGC, it was so easy to get along with them. You shouldn't have to know Japanese to be able to play with them. Just don't suck.

I like the argument about how 60% of NA is retarded. Try again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif (I know, he said in game, blah blah sue me)

Nekomimi
Aug 31, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-08-31 09:43, PJ wrote:
This is funny

On PSOGC, it was so easy to get along with them. You shouldn't have to know Japanese to be able to play with them. Just don't suck.

I like the argument about how 60% of NA is retarded. Try again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif (I know, he said in game, blah blah sue me)

In my experience, in online games, Americans tend to be total and complete rejects more like EIGHTY percent of the time.

Sexy_Raine
Aug 31, 2006, 01:47 PM
Good, I'm glad it's seperated. They don't really give a damn about us, why should we care about them?

DraginHikari
Aug 31, 2006, 03:07 PM
As stated there are alot of culture difference that you tend to run into in places like JP then you'll find in NA and even in Europe. And in my opinion those differences go slightly beyond 'american games act like morons'

DarkShadowX
Aug 31, 2006, 03:09 PM
To be honest either way I could care less that they're seperated tho I do hope that sometime in the future we could play together.

NightHour13
Aug 31, 2006, 03:33 PM
Jeesus. This thread is spewing some pretty violent stuff.

Listen guys, AlucardTepes said it best. Think of the mechanics. This game is an action RPG - were constantly moving and fighting. It's gunna be hard enough to talk to eachother in english...Imagine having to shuffle through some phrases in a auto-translator? Although there are some differences amongst eachother, it's the same attitudes that everyones catching here that start genocide.

Stop using FFXI as an example. Not only is that game totally different from this one, but it plain out sucked.

JohnBerserker
Aug 31, 2006, 04:26 PM
the japanese arent retards. they speak english. most of them at least. if the majority of the JP players are older then the majority of US players than they should be able to communicate fine. or at least understand you. JP just prefer to use their own language. if you cant understand what they say that says that they care more about us than we do them. if you can't form a simple sentence(or at least say hi) in japanese thats kinda sad(unless your younger then highschool) personally i'd love to join JP servers. thing is that im flat broke and cant get xbox live or anything. but if they add the fused servers later on once we're at the same point i'm fine with that.

Sev
Aug 31, 2006, 04:53 PM
On 2006-08-31 14:26, JohnBerserker wrote:
the japanese arent retards. they speak english. most of them at least. if the majority of the JP players are older then the majority of US players than they should be able to communicate fine. or at least understand you. JP just prefer to use their own language. if you cant understand what they say that says that they care more about us than we do them. if you can't form a simple sentence(or at least say hi) in japanese thats kinda sad(unless your younger then highschool) personally i'd love to join JP servers. thing is that im flat broke and cant get xbox live or anything. but if they add the fused servers later on once we're at the same point i'm fine with that.

Let me just point this out...

English is one of the most widely used languages in the world. For the Japanese at least, it's a course they take throughout their education.

Now, tell me just how many High Schools, Middle Schools, or Elementary Schools in the United States require you to learn Japanese let alone give you a choice to do it? Not many. I know mine only offered Japanese through a Satellite Course that your parents had to pay for. Needless to say, I didn't take Japanese in High School.

What little of the language I picked up, I picked up on my own because of my personal interests. Now, if there's someone who lives in a major city like New York, Austin, Miami, or LA and doesn't know how to say "Hi" in Spanish... What you said would be valid. Whether or not someone from Japan keeps tabs on their English is up to them. They learn it in school, but honestly... Once you're done with school, if you don't have to use it then you probably won't. The language barrier is there, it'll be there for a long time. If ST doesn't find it worth the effort to have us accessing the JP servers, then I'm fine with it.

Communication problems have very little to do with ones intelligence. It's simply hard to understand each other sometimes. Learning Japanese isn't a simple as some people make it out to be, learning Romanji might not be as hard for us native English speakers, but there's alot more to their text then just Romanji.

JohnBerserker
Aug 31, 2006, 05:13 PM
yes, romaji, hiragana, katakana, and kanji tho romaji isnt technically a real written part. it's just all the other signs written in our english alphabet. but your right about schools not requiring it. i'm sure no school requires it. but im sure a lot of schools offer it. but thats why i added the other part. ask anyone. chances are they know how to say "hi" in japanese. maybe not spell it in one of the regular styles but they sure know romaji for it. konichiwa? most people know that. but seeing as japan is one of the main countries that play video games(actually i think all countries have at least 1 system, but seriously, japan and america make and sell a good portion of everything video game) you'd think that more americans would be interested in that language. you dont even have to take a course for it. you can find just about anything on the internet. including how to learn certain languages.

Chronicbeast
Aug 31, 2006, 05:45 PM
You can look at it this way also. Spanish is the offical second language of America, yet most of us don't even know past "hola!" You'd think that we would go beyond that, but not many people in America don't see eye to eye with Mexican, Spanish, Portugese people/gamers. I mean, I had Spanish cramed down my throat since elementary school, and I still suck at it... CUZ I CHOOSE TO. I've studied Japanese in a shorter time than Spanish and I'm better it. This is all done by choice and influence of power. People in Japan are taught English since middle school because America has a great monetary/military influence on the world. It isn't needed for us to learn Japanese or any other language because none of them have a great influence on a worldwide scale. IMHO, the language thing goes beyond a gamers scale, it's more political.

kassy
Aug 31, 2006, 05:49 PM
On 2006-08-30 06:40, Halcyon17 wrote:
It worked great for blue burst

If by "worked" you mean "sucked".
Terrible updates and support for US/EU BB.

Generally it's the nOObs who treat anyone and everyone like crap.

Fixed.

The same can be said about US and EU players encountering foreign speaking players, it's not JP specific. Youll find many players regardless of their region that dont want to play with players they dont understand. Unfortunate that language barriers stopped ppl playing on PSO together, as constant communication wasn't really needed to enjoy playing a game such as PSO, dialog was only needed more so for the socializing aspect of the game, I found at least.

I have loads of fond memories of playing with the JP community back on v1 using only symbols and word select.

All that said, Ive heard the horror stories of FFXI, perhaps it is for the best this time round http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

WiLDFiRe
Aug 31, 2006, 05:50 PM
Actually the British have a lot more to do with the wide spread use of the English language than the United States ever will ever have.

Language barriers are a lazy excuse to make up for ignorant and rude players.

Chronicbeast
Aug 31, 2006, 06:15 PM
The same can be said about US and EU players encountering foreign speaking players, it's not JP specific. Youll find many players regardless of their region that dont want to play with players they dont understand. Unfortunate that language barriers stopped ppl playing on PSO together, as constant communication wasn't really needed to enjoy playing a game such as PSO, dialog was only needed more so for the socializing aspect of the game, I found at least.

I have loads of fond memories of playing with the JP community back on v1 using only symbols and word select.

All that said, Ive heard the horror stories of FFXI, perhaps it is for the best this time round http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Yeah, I've done challenge mode with JP players and all we did was use picture chat to tell where to go. No one spoke unless someone died (I woulda been afraid of what might have happened if I had died ><)
Chatting with them was cool, especially the random English that would pop-up XD

When it all boils down to it, communication was never needed in PSO. I don't know if these online missions of PSU are gonna be as liner as PSO was, but hey, they might flip the script on us and make it to where you have to search for stuff. Never can tell 'til we get there. NPCs didn't really tell you vital info, either. They just tried to progress the story.

White_Zephyr
Aug 31, 2006, 06:29 PM
My previous post was pretty angry sounding, but I won't change it. I want to add that it's very sad how little Americans know about their own country, God forbid, the rest of the world. The illusion of security provides a simple excuse to be ignorant. All the time I hear this bull**** about how the US is the greatest country on earth. I live in the most rednecky part of Florida, so I hear it A LOT. I gotta say, I have no facts or sources, but if you have never left the US, you really can't decide that the US is the best. That isn't to say that I hate the US, I love it, but I'm not so ignorant that I'll believe spoon-fed lies. I know why I love it. Hell, it's sick how few people know what rights the first amendment grants. But you can argue with me all day and night, afterall, I believe constitutional monarchies are the ideal form of government. Hey, what do I know. *shrug*

Back on topic...Yes, it's very sad that Yuji Naka's vision, (only a few years old), has become such a dead horse all of the sudden. I can still remember PSOv1 on DC, and playing with a Japanese guy for the first time, it was so unreal. Even I have to admit, I'm jaded to the subject now. All I can really say is that it's sad that the ability to communicate across the world will be gone in PSU. I mean it as the whole BASIS for PSO.

DarkShadowX
Aug 31, 2006, 06:34 PM
Agreed, like I said earlier while the separation of the servers doesn't bother me, but I enjoyed playing with JP players and all, especially in challenge mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkShadowX on 2006-08-31 16:35 ]</font>

lostinseganet
Aug 31, 2006, 06:48 PM
On 2006-08-31 13:33, NightHour13 wrote:
Jeesus. This thread is spewing some pretty violent stuff.

Listen guys, AlucardTepes said it best. Think of the mechanics. This game is an action RPG - were constantly moving and fighting. It's gunna be hard enough to talk to eachother in english...Imagine having to shuffle through some phrases in a auto-translator? Although there are some differences amongst eachother, it's the same attitudes that everyones catching here that start genocide.

Stop using FFXI as an example. Not only is that game totally different from this one, but it plain out sucked.

I am guessing you never played the orginal for the dreamcast. All were connected many played from other places. It was a selling point of the orginal PSO. SIGHH...good times.. (^_^)

Halcyon17
Aug 31, 2006, 07:37 PM
On 2006-08-31 15:49, kassy wrote:

Updates arent the do all end all of the game. The community is more important and with the split the JP version managed to miss the majority of hassle the US servers experienced. In other words there was significantly less l33tssjsephiroth's running around. To the sound of 0.

Nekomimi
Aug 31, 2006, 07:42 PM
On 2006-08-31 17:37, Halcyon17 wrote:

Updates arent the do all end all of the game. The community is more important and with the split the JP version managed to miss the majority of hassle the US servers experienced. In other words there was significantly less l33tssjsephiroth's running around. To the sound of 0.

Sounds like Heaven. I may just pick up the JP PC version when I get to Okinawa and forget about ever understanding the story outside of plot summaries on Wikipedia and the like.

PJ
Aug 31, 2006, 07:50 PM

Are you fucking joking?

You've gotta be fucking joking

This is full of lol

Sega of America was SO GOOD TO EVERYONE ON USBB. "Wah fucking wah we want this." You know what they gave you? THAT. If they were so shit, you still wouldn't be able to get your goddamn Bunny/Cat Ears. Frankly, it's people like you that would make them stop doing such a damn good job.

Sev
Aug 31, 2006, 09:24 PM
Really, this isn't anything to be that upset about. They didn't see a need to keep them connected, so they aren't. If you're that deadset on playing with JP players, you can always import your copy. Yes, you may think that's something you shouldn't have to do, but if that's what it takes that's what it takes.

I didn't play PSO:BB that long. I know one thing though. I'm sure that the support for it was way better then it was for the other versions despite being seperated. It's easier to doubt, then it is to believe. And it's alot easier to complain than to appreciate.

At least ST already let us know, we'll be behind in content. They didn't say there would be anything exclusively JP.

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 31, 2006, 09:28 PM
Heres a little perspective, how many of you make ties with people that you are UNABLE to communicate with in any online game? I doubt their is more than a handful of people that do who do not matter towards such a decision. In the end it shouldn't matter if we can play with peeps around the world or not, things are more streamlined. This doesn'y mena I don;t agree with being able to play with peeps around the world however.

White_Zephyr
Aug 31, 2006, 10:40 PM
Streamlined ≠ Good. (Don't mean for that to be baneful or anything, just trying to keep the thunder in this sensitive topic to a medium)

Tatsurou
Sep 1, 2006, 12:21 AM
I think most of you have the wrong idea about Japanese gamers. There are elitists here, there are elitists there, but I don't it's because US players were causing problems, it's just because it's difficult and a pain in the ass to play with non-Japanese because of the language barrier. To generalize, Japanese are somewhat xenophobic, and if a non Japanese speaking person wants to join a group with them, it is 'TAIHEN' to the Japanese. They don't want to waste time trying to communicate with their broken English. I guess it's all for the better, but I personally am a little upset because I won't be able to play with my Japanese friends, and playing on JP servers. Hope I made sense?

Velocity_7
Sep 1, 2006, 12:28 AM
Not quite as TAIHEN as you think, Tatsurou. There are plenty of Japanese who are also intrigued by playing with foreign players as well. Some speak good English, others not so good, but as long as you know some Japanese most won't mind you joining the fray.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Velocity_7 on 2006-08-31 22:29 ]</font>

Tatsurou
Sep 1, 2006, 12:46 AM
On 2006-08-31 22:28, Velocity_7 wrote:
Not quite as TAIHEN as you think, Tatsurou. There are plenty of Japanese who are also intrigued by playing with foreign players as well. Some speak good English, others not so good, but as long as you know some Japanese most won't mind you joining the fray.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Velocity_7 on 2006-08-31 22:29 ]</font>

Oh, of course, but for the most part, many see foreign players as just an obstacle, not someone to play with. This is rather unfortunate http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 1, 2006, 01:01 AM
Being able to play with peeps around the world isn't something that we need in order to enjoy the game, it was just something neat. The same thing goes for games that choose to massive even though they don't need to be.. a massiveness is just a neat feature but its not something we really need to enjoy and adventure game. We need to embrace these facts since they make things less of a hassle from the consumer end and the production end. Last thing I want to do is play with JP players that have things we can't get or can't get yet since it tends to make other players whine about it, remeber angel wing and devil tail mags?

Kurosawa
Sep 1, 2006, 01:19 AM
With the servers being seperated, I'd say that assures there will be few updates for US or EU users, and probably very little in the way of bug/cheat fixing.

I'd say my interest in getting PSU is hurt by this information. Nothing good can come of it.

Chronicbeast
Sep 1, 2006, 02:35 AM
On 2006-08-31 23:19, Kurosawa wrote:
With the servers being seperated, I'd say that assures there will be few updates for US or EU users, and probably very little in the way of bug/cheat fixing.

I'd say my interest in getting PSU is hurt by this information. Nothing good can come of it.

Sorry, but that's the kind of negative attitude we need to stop. I played PSOBB (the only example of seperate world servers we have atm) and it was kick-ass with or without JP players. Sure, we did take longer to get updates in NA/EU than said Japanese players, but that's just how things are. They test it there, if it works out, then we get. If they see a problem, then A) they'll fix it towards the target audience, or B) we just plain won't get it cuz it's too much trouble or it's a problem for the target audience. Main thing is, I think SOA did a great job of keeping the servers maintained for BB. Bugs and cheating were at a minimum due to the fact that it was all server side saving and not done on the hard drive where you have free will and control at your fingertips. You can't blame that on an entire country of players. That's just stereotyping, man... and I know all too well what's it's like to be sterotyped. But keeping up an ungreatful attitude will prevent further things to come and cause us to miss out on a lot. T_T

Why are we importing the JP vers of PSU instead of waiting for the US to release? We're any of us really thinking about wiether the servers were connected before this topic was brought to light? Or, was it because it's a great game that you wanna enjoy reguardless of combining cultures or not? Who's to say that they might do something to the US vers after witnessing some events on the JP vers of PSU and make it slightly betterO_O?

If the same group of people are working on the PSU server as they did for the BB in the US, I'm sure this'll all work out fine! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

UniKoRn
Sep 1, 2006, 03:16 AM
I am sad that I won't be able to make any international friends besides english speakers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I liked being able to play with people all around the world on PSO (Dreamcast & Gamecube versions), even if we couldn't understand eachothers language... there was still the fun of the word select for simple communication =)

Natrokos
Sep 1, 2006, 03:20 AM
On 2006-09-01 01:16, UniKoRn wrote:
I am sad that I won't be able to make any international friends besides english speakers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I liked being able to play with people all around the world on PSO (Dreamcast & Gamecube versions), even if we couldn't understand eachothers language... there was still the fun of the word select for simple communication =)

I agree. I always liked playing with people on the otherside of the world and not just the otherside of the state.

Kurosawa
Sep 1, 2006, 11:04 AM
On 2006-09-01 00:35, Chronicbeast wrote:

On 2006-08-31 23:19, Kurosawa wrote:

Sorry, but that's the kind of negative attitude we need to stop. I played PSOBB (the only example of seperate world servers we have atm) and it was kick-ass with or without JP players. Sure, we did take longer to get updates in NA/EU than said Japanese players, but that's just how things are. They test it there, if it works out, then we get. If they see a problem, then A) they'll fix it towards the target audience, or B) we just plain won't get it cuz it's too much trouble or it's a problem for the target audience. Main thing is, I think SOA did a great job of keeping the servers maintained for BB. Bugs and cheating were at a minimum due to the fact that it was all server side saving and not done on the hard drive where you have free will and control at your fingertips. You can't blame that on an entire country of players. That's just stereotyping, man... and I know all too well what's it's like to be sterotyped. But keeping up an ungreatful attitude will prevent further things to come and cause us to miss out on a lot. T_T

Why are we importing the JP vers of PSU instead of waiting for the US to release? We're any of us really thinking about wiether the servers were connected before this topic was brought to light? Or, was it because it's a great game that you wanna enjoy reguardless of combining cultures or not? Who's to say that they might do something to the US vers after witnessing some events on the JP vers of PSU and make it slightly betterO_O?

If the same group of people are working on the PSU server as they did for the BB in the US, I'm sure this'll all work out fine! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I seriously doubt it'll be better. Nor will it be as good. There's still quests for PSO that Americans never got.

ST has screwed us over yet again. I'll get PSU and give it a chance, but it's not looking good. I'm sure the game itself will be fantastic, but I played PSO too long to trust ST with online service.

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 01:08 PM
Aren't you all a bunch of negative nancys.

Sev
Sep 1, 2006, 03:41 PM
Whether the servers are connected or not, we can be left behind in content. If they did it in PSO, they can do it in PSU if they damn well choose. It wouldn't even matter if we were able to play with the JP players or not, if it's not implemented for us, then it simply isn't.

ST is already making promises for conent in Japan, this 2 month gap gives time for this content to be translated and put into effect on our servers. Basically, I'd expect to see us getting Story Missions every 2 weeks just like they are, since they have a good bit of time to work on getting it in order for our servers.

Basically... This isn't PSO. Stop comparing it. Most people can get information fairly quickly about what's going on, when I was playing PSO, I didn't know that we were getting shafted in content at all. Now, it's easy to find out what they got over their, and if we're not getting it, make inquiries. There's no reason to be left behind in content in this day and age, and there's no reason to get taken advantage of.

PJ
Sep 1, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2006-09-01 13:41, Sev wrote:
Basically... This isn't PSO.

This topics winner http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dahilia
Sep 1, 2006, 04:19 PM
On 2006-08-30 16:30, Ffuzzy-Logik wrote:

Generally it's people who treat other people like crap. Have a serious think about that one.

Fixed.

regardless of their nationalities, age, or any other factors, people will just never get along.

/Agree Thank you.

On 2006-08-30 17:45, EGO-BOT wrote:

ROFL

sakeru
Sep 1, 2006, 05:20 PM
I am really hurt to find out that we cant have the servers link. Unfortunately this is gonna end up bad. The xbox version of Pso had no link servers. And the population on it dwindled quickly. I think once they see the population of people playing going down they will link them. Come on if ii wanted to spk to another english speaking person like my self i would just step outside of my door. If i wanted to play with them all i need is to ask them to come over and play a two player game. But a link server is nice because u can learn from one another . I learn most of my japanese from jap players . And now since it not gonna be link i fear i will forget the language sniff.

Nekomimi
Sep 1, 2006, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the small population of players on Xbox servers was more due to the fact that it was not really the type of game your typical xboxer plays very much.

sakeru
Sep 1, 2006, 05:26 PM
This really pisses me off sniff.

Kurosawa
Sep 2, 2006, 01:11 AM
On 2006-09-01 13:41, Sev wrote:
Whether the servers are connected or not, we can be left behind in content. If they did it in PSO, they can do it in PSU if they damn well choose. It wouldn't even matter if we were able to play with the JP players or not, if it's not implemented for us, then it simply isn't.

ST is already making promises for conent in Japan, this 2 month gap gives time for this content to be translated and put into effect on our servers. Basically, I'd expect to see us getting Story Missions every 2 weeks just like they are, since they have a good bit of time to work on getting it in order for our servers.

Basically... This isn't PSO. Stop comparing it. Most people can get information fairly quickly about what's going on, when I was playing PSO, I didn't know that we were getting shafted in content at all. Now, it's easy to find out what they got over their, and if we're not getting it, make inquiries. There's no reason to be left behind in content in this day and age, and there's no reason to get taken advantage of.

I hope you're right, but I had high hopes with every different version of PSO that things would improve too, and as far as the online service goes, it never did. It may have on BB, which I never got to play.

ShinMaruku
Sep 2, 2006, 01:45 AM
On 2006-09-01 11:08, Nekomimi wrote:

Negative?! This is Sonic Team, fuck ups are almost ineveitable!
As for the Region separating, I hope the Euro ones ain't shanked becuase it would be good to enjoy cussing time with me mates over in the UK.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-09-01 23:46 ]</font>

Sev
Sep 2, 2006, 03:28 AM
On 2006-09-01 23:45, ShinMaruku wrote:

As for the Region separating, I hope the Euro ones ain't shanked becuase it would be good to enjoy cussing time with me mates over in the UK.

You can be negative about any game though. There's not a game out there that people can't find somethin to whine about. Whether Sonic Team touched it or not.

And let's leave the bad reputation for ST with the crappy ass Sonic Games. That was that, and this is this.

Kazzi
Sep 2, 2006, 08:42 AM
On 2006-09-01 15:20, sakeru wrote:
I learn most of my japanese from jap players .

It's ironic how you call them jap even though jap is considered racist apparently.

Sadly there are alot more people who are willing to hack on the US servers and they affected the JP servers of PSO pretty badly. Maybe they're trying to prevent that? To be honest i dont know but i dont really see the downside of not having a linkage. We chose to buy the JP version?

-STE-
Sep 2, 2006, 08:50 AM
Most of my jp friends will like to have connected server.

But i dunno about common jp players who cant speak english ... maybe they dont mind or they dont want to see western player in theyr server...

Fleece
Sep 2, 2006, 08:56 AM
When i played FF11 japanese people didnt want to party at all until i told them i was english and not american. They explained (in english) to me that it was because most of the american players they met didnt know the meaning of teamwork and when the going got tough just looked after themselves and either :

A) Healed only themselves
B) Ran away from the fight screaming "RUN RUN WERE GOING TO DIE!!" so they didnt die and lose EXP, thus leaving everyone else to contend with the animal and generally leaving everyone else in the lurch.

White_Zephyr
Sep 2, 2006, 09:02 AM
On 2006-09-02 06:56, Fleece wrote:
When i played FF11 japanese people didnt want to party at all until i told them i was english and not american. They explained (in english) to me that it was because most of the american players they met didnt know the meaning of teamwork and when the going got tough just looked after themselves and either :

B) Ran away from the fight screaming "RUN RUN WERE GOING TO DIE!!" so they didnt die and lose EXP, thus leaving everyone else to contend with the animal and generally leaving everyone else in the lurch.

Exactly.

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 2, 2006, 09:07 AM
Cross-regional play has no significant effect on gameplay.

-STE-
Sep 2, 2006, 09:08 AM
Not on gameplay. maybe i think about game life i mean maybe after 1 year eu and usa ships will have less players "maybe" but im sure japanese will always have lots.

DarkShadowX
Sep 2, 2006, 09:12 AM
On 2006-09-02 07:08, -STE- wrote:
Not on gameplay. maybe i think about game life i mean maybe after 1 year eu and usa ships will have less players "maybe" but im sure japanese will always have lots.

Thats probably true, but I'll still be on... PSU all the way!!!!!!!!!

jungleking45
Sep 2, 2006, 09:15 AM
I just feel like we should at least be given a chance. I mean, think about it, Sega hasn't even given international servers a shot with PSU. Who knows what could happen. No one would know till it was tried...

DarkShadowX
Sep 2, 2006, 09:17 AM
On 2006-09-02 07:15, jungleking45 wrote:
I just feel like we should at least be given a chance. I mean, think about it, Sega hasn't even given international servers a shot with PSU. Who knows what could happen. No one would know till it was tried...

Agreed, until it is tried we won't kno what'll happen, but the sad thing is, is that it isn't for us to decide.

White_Zephyr
Sep 2, 2006, 09:33 AM
On 2006-09-02 07:07, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
Cross-regional play has no significant effect on gameplay.

This isn't about gameplay necessarily. It's more a discussion on how it would be possible to further enjoy the game. You may not care, but you're in the minority based on the posts here.

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 2, 2006, 10:06 AM
unless you plan not to play this game for this very reason then this is a non-issue, and yes I'm I am the minority of POSTERS cause I'm the only one pretentious enough to make such a comment. I'd understand if you have existing associates that are outside the US that you would want to keep in touch with, I have some as well. other than that its not a significant enough issue just to be able to play with strangers from another region, it won't make the game any less enjoyable. Making friends in NA can still suffice since their are many people FROM those regions alread here, It wasn't until this topic was created that I thought about the importance of such a feature the same way I though about the significance of making a game massive(an aspiring Game designer should think about these things).

Features such as these have to really be weighed for the edvancement of a game, I'm not just speakign from a jaded gamers perspective. What we choose to value in a game has a significant effect on the industry, and sometimes you have to realize that less is more. otherwise ypu'll have the industry pumping out what it seems like you want until you realize how little value a highly desired feature adds to a game out of being merely a "neat" feature.

Look at PSO eps3, that game has given us a new spin on the franchise as well as somehting to play when we want to take a break from the hacknslash mechanics. Unfortunatly people were expecting a game to migrate to rather than another option of how to spend our time which many so-called "fans" didn't seem to udnerstand, it was meant to be a side dish and nothing more. People ahve to seriously consider what they want versus what is important to something that they want or choose to play because what you "want" and what you "like" are 2 different things.

ShinMaruku
Sep 2, 2006, 10:47 AM
On 2006-09-02 01:28, Sev wrote:

On 2006-09-01 23:45, ShinMaruku wrote:

You can be negative about any game though. There's not a game out there that people can't find somethin to whine about. Whether Sonic Team touched it or not.

And let's leave the bad reputation for ST with the crappy ass Sonic Games. That was that, and this is this.

Same people, same results, maybe tbhey chanfged but at this jucture I still say a screw up somewhere is inevitable.
hey still do some practicies that are rather fool hardy even now.

Chronicbeast
Sep 2, 2006, 01:00 PM
On 2006-09-02 07:02, White_Zephyr wrote:

Exactly.

*sniff sniff* I smell hate...

I got the perfect solution for all of this 'ish. Get the Japanese persons MSN Messenger name you so dearly love to chat with, and talk with them doing that. Cuz that's all that's gonna happen in PSU. No one really chats during fights. Maybe after all the monsters are destroyed. But if ur lvl grinding/ hunting rares, you're really gonna concentrate on fighting, not talking.

And once again... that's FFXI you're talking about. Two TOTALLY DIFFERENT MMOs cannot be compaired. From battle system to character interaction, they all work differently. Stop using that game as an example cuz it ain't the same.

Sev
Sep 2, 2006, 03:13 PM

And that's why I hate stereotyping. A few bad experience makes up their whole concept of how players from one region are, and the US players are no different. It's retarded, and if I have to deal with things like this on a daily basis like I did on FFXI then I'd rather not have the regions connected at all. Before we can play together on a game, we need to work on understanding that each person is different, no matter where they're located, not all people will function in the same way because that's just how people are.

On 2006-09-02 08:47, ShinMaruku wrote:

Same people, same results, maybe tbhey chanfged but at this jucture I still say a screw up somewhere is inevitable.
hey still do some practicies that are rather fool hardy even now.

And I still say that every game company screws up somewhere. That's way too general. FFXI had their economy and completely un-user friendly play style. WoW had a time when I logged in, and all the NPC's were gone. City of Heroes disconnects me at the most random of times, sometimes causing me to redo missions. Lineage II's economy was beyond recovery, not to mention I had the same random disconnect problems. Guild War's simply couldn't keep my attention past the second hour of it. You show me a game without flaws, and I'll show you it's flaws (As long as I can play it of course) because that's just how things work.

I've had some rough times with Sega. They took alot of my characters and items away from me on DC and GC, and well... They made me suffer through Sonic Adventure 1 DX. But I think they'll do fine this time around.