PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Fire?

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 31, 2006, 12:43 AM
What happens if you hit a partner? Will you do damage? Make them flinch? Will the partner's body interfere with melee or ranged attacks (making rangers need to move or aim better)? How about techniques?

Sev
Aug 31, 2006, 12:55 AM
On 2006-08-30 22:43, Jife_Jifremok wrote:
What happens if you hit a partner? Will you do damage? Make them flinch? Will the partner's body interfere with melee or ranged attacks (making rangers need to move or aim better)? How about techniques?

You'll most likely just swing straight through the person. It may be unrealistic but it's alot less of a hassle for it to work that way.

Killuminati
Aug 31, 2006, 12:57 AM
I'm geussing you never played a Phantasy Star Online game before but this isn't even an issue as there is no friendly fire and your weapons have no effects on your team mates.

Only kind of incident were you could hit the other character was in battle mode which PSU won't have.

I'm glad theres no friendly fire I never saw the point of having feature or even turning it on while playing any game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Killuminati on 2006-08-30 22:59 ]</font>

Phaze37
Aug 31, 2006, 12:59 AM
If you could hit your teammates that would make a ranger's job much more difficult.

McLaughlin
Aug 31, 2006, 01:02 AM
Or alot more fun...>_>

Killuminati
Aug 31, 2006, 01:04 AM
On 2006-08-30 23:02, Zeta wrote:
Or alot more fun...>_>

I hate team killers when playing PDZ that gets really annoying.

McLaughlin
Aug 31, 2006, 01:07 AM
Yeah it does. That's why the last PDZ related player on my Recent Players List was last seen by me 204 days ago >_>

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 31, 2006, 01:15 AM
On 2006-08-30 23:02, Zeta wrote:
Or alot more fun...>_>

I'm agreeing with this one. No, not because it's fun to shoot your own team (though I aint denying it!), but becasue it takes more skill to not hit your partners or to not get in their way.

And I'm sure it can be oimplied from the answers to my questions, but can a Ranger's shots simply go through a player to easily hit the enemy behind them? (sucks to be the monster being doubleteamed by the hunter and the ranger!)

Phaze37
Aug 31, 2006, 01:37 AM
can a Ranger's shots simply go through a player to easily hit the enemy behind them?
If it's like PSO, and I assume it is, then yes.

Nekomimi
Aug 31, 2006, 01:39 AM
At least in story mode, nothing you can do can hurt your teamates in any way.

sigseven
Aug 31, 2006, 02:25 AM
Friendly fire has its place in games like DoD or CS, but given the mechanics of PSU it would be absolutely horrible. All it would add is griefing and frustration. Sure, it might not be as realistic, but even in a team that is working together, friendly fire would make it nearly impossible to use multi-target attacks. Especially with 6 players in a group now, finding a side of the enemy you can go to attack where another player isn't in the way would just be a nuisance.

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 31, 2006, 04:25 AM
He must have previously played Monster Hunter where your attacks had to be more tactile otherwise you'll knock-over, interupt, or send your team-mates flying.

Jife_Jifremok
Aug 31, 2006, 04:56 AM
On 2006-08-30 22:57, Killuminati wrote:
I'm geussing you never played a Phantasy Star Online game before but this isn't even an issue as there is no friendly fire and your weapons have no effects on your team mates.

I've played PSO before, just not online. The few times I did get to play with someone, I never thought to do friendly fire and it never happened by accident.

On 2006-08-31 02:25, Blackwaltz-R wrote:
He must have previously played Monster Hunter where your attacks had to be more tactile otherwise you'll knock-over, interupt, or send your team-mates flying.
Right you are! And I laughed every time some GreatSword user sent me sailing clear over the enemy or a Lancer charged me straight to the ground. I laughed even more if it was because my Sword-n-Shield using self moved right into someone's way while I attacked or evaded.

But in MH the majority of battles were up against foes plenty large enough that space really wasn't an issue, and small enemies (including the 'Dromes) weren't an issue at all unless you had a stone/egg carrier or a Gunner in the group to guard (and in the latter case, only if small stuff would annoy the Gunner during the wyvern fight). I'd imagine it might be so in PSU with *gasp* STRONG normal enemies that won't die in two or three hits. (if my expeirence in PSO's higher ranking levels is the same here, then yeah, small fry will be PLENTY strong till my level matches the stage)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-08-31 02:58 ]</font>

Blackwaltz-R
Aug 31, 2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah the size of the monsters in PSO was always one of my peeves, I would have liked it even more if they were much larger. The it would prolly make it easier for the mobs to box you in if they were larger.

WiLDFiRe
Aug 31, 2006, 05:10 AM
Ever make a battle game on PSO and just go about like it was a regular game? I use to sneak in a Battle mode sometimes back on ver2, annoyed my buddies to no end. We made it to the Dragon exactly once out of all the games we played like that. Most of the time everyone would yell at me after the second Rafoie hit, leave and not let me make the games for awhile.

Arias
Aug 31, 2006, 06:24 AM
On 2006-08-30 22:55, Sev wrote:

On 2006-08-30 22:43, Jife_Jifremok wrote:

You'll most likely just swing straight through the person. It may be unrealistic but it's alot less of a hassle for it to work that way.

Yeah, I'd rather have no Friendly Fire, as long as the sword-fighting swings aren't like in PSO, that you swing your Twin Saber or whatever through yourself (combo of hucast/humar)

Spellbinder
Aug 31, 2006, 06:26 AM
The "challenge" of friendly fire wouldn't be in the least bit fair to a Force using Technics. They'd kill the whole team before they took any of the monsters down.

Killuminati
Aug 31, 2006, 11:04 PM
On 2006-08-31 04:26, Spellbinder wrote:
The "challenge" of friendly fire wouldn't be in the least bit fair to a Force using Technics. They'd kill the whole team before they took any of the monsters down.

Exactly, friendly fire in this game just wouldn't work.

Alisha
Aug 31, 2006, 11:36 PM
weapons like shots and spread needle would of been totally useless with friendly fire,and snow queen would just lead to team deaths.

Natrokos
Sep 1, 2006, 03:08 AM
Friendly fire is simply unacceptable in an MMO...(Yes I realize PSU IS NOT A TYPICAL MMO) but it does share very similiar characteristics and friendly fire wouldn't be feasible. I only know one MMORPG that had friendly fire and it was only on one server and it was very complicated.

zandra117
Sep 1, 2006, 05:30 AM
Actually guys the descripton for the technique Regrants in psu suggests that It could cause friendly fire.

Regrants: By holding down the casting button, this technique will generate explosions of light while continually draining your PP. Not only will your targets take damage, but the spears of light it generates may hurt you as well.

VanHalen
Sep 1, 2006, 09:17 PM
it might be a little more fun or funny if you can hit your teammates you can be like the 3 stooges lol but as long as you hit everyone except me