PDA

View Full Version : PS2 broad band latency?

RoboKy
Aug 31, 2006, 02:10 PM
If I use the PS2 to play PSU will it lag like other PS2 broadband games? I played Monster hunter and that metal gear online thing, both lagged occasionally. But it was alot worse with metal gear. I also had socom but don't remember if it lagged because I only played it once.

watashiwa
Aug 31, 2006, 02:13 PM
Are you talking about graphical lag or network lag? PSU definitely has graphical lag on the PS2 when a lot of stuff is going on.. but network lag can be eliminated by having a decent ISP.

When I played Monster Hunter back in the day, I don't remember too much graphical lag, and my network lag was almost non-existant too. It was actually one of the better online experiences I've had..

RoboKy
Aug 31, 2006, 02:16 PM
I don't know if it's graphical lag. I mean like when the rathalos stays in one spot in the air, or you shoot someone and it looks like you got them, but he's not there anymore. I don't know if it's because those games are hosted on the server or the host's ps2.

Cross
Aug 31, 2006, 02:18 PM
Monster Hunter's servers are pretty dilapidated these days; it lags all over the place. It's an issue with the server. When the game was new, the servers were kept in good repair and it was smooth almost all of the time.

PSU should only suffer the same fate if Sega slacks off. Not that they have a real good track record, but I like to have a little good faith that they're actually trying this time around.

Kano-Okami
Aug 31, 2006, 02:18 PM
He's probably talking about network.
I've had a couple of situations like that on MH aswell, and pso too.
I doubt its the ps2 thats the problem, its the isp as watashiwa mentioned.
I use to lag occasionally on psogc occasionally, for no apparent reason, seeing as I was using a broadband connection.
I used verizon back then, and it gave me hell.. *sigh*

watashiwa
Aug 31, 2006, 02:21 PM
Your Rathalos description is definitely network lag. Caused either by bad connection to the server from ISP, from either you or your teammates, or just the server goofing up like Cross said.

Yeah, when Cross and I used to play back in the day, MH was great. The "lag" was very little to none, really. It's kind of depressing to hear that the servers are in bad condition nowadays.

Nekomimi
Aug 31, 2006, 02:31 PM
The MGO servers are pretty decent. If he's lagging in that too, it's his ISP or his own fault.

Fleece
Aug 31, 2006, 03:50 PM
PSU's graphical lag on the ps2 is minimal until you get a party of 4 all doing PA's at the same time with about 7 monsters on screen.

RoboKy
Aug 31, 2006, 10:43 PM
How's it my own fault? I'm pretty sure if you look at the gamefaqs forums for MGO you'll see people complaing about lag kills or that shot gun lag glitch.

I'm not saying the lag's all the time or makes playing unbareable, but when I use the PC to play MMORPGs I hardly get lag unless it's crowded city or I'm doing something in the background if that can help with the ISP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RoboKy on 2006-08-31 20:52 ]</font>