PDA

View Full Version : Rollback Announcement: 9/03

uhawww
Sep 2, 2006, 09:29 AM
http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=29

"Beginning last night, there were some issues with reading character data. We have discovered a related issue were item and meseta duplication was possible if this issue was exploited.

We consider this problem critical, however we are unable to respond individually to this problem based on the number of inquiries we have recieved. Also, we have projected that this issue will cause unrecoverable problems in the future if left as is.

Because of this, we wlil be enacting a rollback to a time prior to last evening when the anomalies occured. We are currently developing plans to compensate players who currently have active characters, though it has not been formulated yet.

In case there are any further problems, your corresponence is not only appreciated, but critical at this time.

We apologize for these issues from the bottom of our hearts and we ask for your utmost understanding, however if we do not resolve these issues immediately, the playability of the game would be compromised, and we have a wish and goal to maintain a fair and level playing field for all players for a long time."

Good.
Nip this crap in the bud.

I don't think they were ready for the number of people that were going to get this and try to get online, as the character data problem, and subsequent exploit, seem implicitly related to the network capacity issue, and not an intrinsic failure in the game itself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-02 07:34 ]</font>

Kyunji
Sep 2, 2006, 09:31 AM
Looks like Ryna wasn't the only one to experience the character loading glitch. Problem solved, I guess. The fact that they discovered a major bug requiring rollback on the first day of the game's release doesn't bode well with me, however.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyunji on 2006-09-02 07:32 ]</font>

Alpha-Hunter
Sep 2, 2006, 09:34 AM
It's great that they are handling it now. i hope people understand it for the best to avoid greater problems later...

White_Zephyr
Sep 2, 2006, 09:40 AM
<-- almost happy he didn't import http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Ifrian
Sep 2, 2006, 09:41 AM
I understand it
But my char is gonna be erased so....im NOT happy

At all.....

Kazzi
Sep 2, 2006, 09:43 AM
On 2006-09-02 07:41, Ifrian wrote:
I understand it

At all.....

You'd probebly loose your character in a body swap anyway.

A rollback is good and fair to the huge numbers of players who been bugged and glitched. Its no loss loosing a few levels or even your character this early in the game's release. At least they are planning to compensate. Good on them!

Parn
Sep 2, 2006, 09:45 AM
Ah, the launch days of online games are always amusing. Here's hoping they don't have as many problems as Square did and resolve the server issues within the first month. =P

Mewn
Sep 2, 2006, 09:46 AM
Better a bug-free game and a rollbacked character than a messed-up game with no rollback.

Ifrian
Sep 2, 2006, 09:46 AM
On 2006-09-02 07:43, Kazzi wrote:

On 2006-09-02 07:41, Ifrian wrote:
I understand it

At all.....

You'd probebly loose your character in a body swap anyway.

A rollback is good and fair to the huge numbers of players who been bugged and glitched. Its no loss loosing a few levels or even your character this early in the game's release. At least they are planning to compensate. Good on them!

I never said they doing the wrong thing.

And i prefer 10-000 times to lose my character now , than have a glitched game later.

But i wont be happy losing my character no matter what.

Anyway i praise sega for taking it seriously this time.....

Saiffy
Sep 2, 2006, 09:57 AM
rofl, people are acting like this is unheard of in online games.

If you imported, you shoulda expected the worst.

Ryna
Sep 2, 2006, 10:00 AM
I wonder if the "new" Ryna will still exist after the rollback?

It is kind of unfortunate though, I was able to secure another Sonic statue off a friend and I found a rare room decoration on my second tutorial run-through.

Fleece
Sep 2, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hmmmm God bless backup Tapes and RAID.

tank1
Sep 2, 2006, 10:27 AM
Im glad ST is taking glitches in the game etc seriously instead of sitting on there hands.

Velocity_7
Sep 2, 2006, 10:53 AM
Ryna: You can run the tutorial twice and find new rare room decor? o_O

Ryna
Sep 2, 2006, 10:57 AM
On 2006-09-02 08:53, Velocity_7 wrote:
Ryna: You can run the tutorial twice and find new rare room decor? o_O

After recreating my character (yet again), I did the tutorial and found a rare room decoration. It was a Linear Line hologram.

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2006, 11:10 AM
The fact that they discovered a major bug requiring rollback on the first day of the game's release doesn't bode well with me, however.

Bodes just peachy with me. Were this PSO, the bug would never have been fixed, and ST would have ended up having to release a patched version which plays on different servers. That would have taken months, meanwhile new bugs and dupe methods start being developed - this time without a fix due to the cost of issuing yet ANOTHER release.

So you loose a day or two's worth of effort? Not to sound callous, but I've lost years worth of work to codes and stupid corruption bugs. If they are vigilant and stay on top of the cheating issue - then I'll gladly lose a day or two here or there in the effort to patch bugs and create a more stable-secure community.

Shadow_Wing
Sep 2, 2006, 11:28 AM
Wow.... ST doing something for once. If I was online right now, it wouldn't be a problem for me, games are complicated things and network programming isn't something that can't be done flawlessly at times. These things happen, and it's good that ST is doing some quick about it.

Glitches and flaws will happen, we are after all human.

Spellbinder
Sep 2, 2006, 12:03 PM
After all the online games I've played, all I have to say is good job. It's been a rough opening weekend, but ST has been spot on, finding problems, fixing them, and even offering compensation in this case.

A set back perhaps, but I'd roll back a day of gaming perhaps 12 hours after the inception of the problem over a lasting unignored glitch in the game, showing the carelessness of a company any day.

Kurosawa
Sep 2, 2006, 12:44 PM
One day and there's duping. ONE DAY! Of course they're doing the right thing by nipping it in the bud, but they will probably figure out another method after people get their characters developed enough to the point that they're not willing to lose them.

This is CLASSIC Sonic Team. That's just beyond a joke. One day.

-STE-
Sep 2, 2006, 12:47 PM
I think SEGA will never make a PSO PSU PSX without a bug.
Bugs are normal of course every game has bugs but i will like to see how can sega patch all bugs without a real patch system.. ps2 has only memory card.

I hope they can patch all bugs just from server.

AC9breaker
Sep 2, 2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, as the the original progammers for nintendo said, "its impossible to code perfect code."
This is a good sign that Sega is taking the necessary steps to rectify this situation. However, the real question lies in how long can Sega continue this service and, can we expect the same treatment once the US/EU copies arrive.

Jinto117
Sep 2, 2006, 01:04 PM
Well I think it's safe to say that most of the problems should be ironed out by the time of the North American and European releases. We shouldn't have to go through these errors. I guess that's one good thing to getting the game a few months later, evem if it means waiting in agony.

peenk
Sep 2, 2006, 01:05 PM
kinda saddens me to say this, but I was right from the begining thinking SEGA will f*ck something up
Duping on first day of launch? (or second, wtfever) give me a break SEGA

Not even going to bother getting PSU untill i actually try it out offline because it looks like they alerady are f*cked up the online part

poepl need to get real (chappel style), if a game AFTER BETA TEST has this kinda bugs, why would it get any better later on? you CANT PATCH retarted PS2 w/ its lame 8 mb card

wish they went ahead and just made it for x360+pc rather than include PS2 .. or wait untill PS3 comes out and make HD a MUST for this game ... but nooooo...

i really hope it will get better but SEGA made mistakes in the past, made them w/ launch of this game and no doubt will continue to screw up

ricodead
Sep 2, 2006, 01:08 PM
On 2006-09-02 10:56, AC9breaker wrote:
Yeah, as the the original progammers for nintendo said, "its impossible to code perfect code."
This is a good sign that Sega is taking the necessary steps to rectify this situation. However, the real question lies in how long can Sega continue this service and, can we expect the same treatment once the US/EU copies arrive.

Sega did rollbacks at the start of USA-EU PsoBB as well as later.

This sounds much like the fiasco of japanese gamecube with 1.0 having a dupe bug.

At that time they did not have server side saving and released version 1.1 giving you the option to play on a dupe ridden 1.0 or start from fresh on a supposedly clean 1.1 server. (which also got hacked)

Japan has its fair share of users who cheat and/or look explicitly for glitches.

I know this from experience playing on Jp DC GC PsoBB.

Its a shame its happened so fast....again

A2K
Sep 2, 2006, 01:11 PM
On 2006-09-02 11:05, peenk wrote:
kinda saddens me to say this, but I was right from the begining thinking SEGA will f*ck something up

Not even going to bother getting PSU untill i actually try it out offline because it looks like they alerady are f*cked up the online part

poepl need to get real (chappel style), if a game AFTER BETA TEST has this kinda bugs, why would it get any better later on? you CANT PATCH retarted PS2 w/ its lame 8 mb card

wish they went ahead and just made it for x360+pc rather than include PS2 .. or wait untill PS3 comes out and make HD a MUST for this game ... but nooooo...

i really hope it will get better but SEGA made mistakes in the past, made them w/ launch of this game and no doubt will continue to screw up

I believe duping exploits are found rather soon after ANY online game with items comes out, actually. And yes, you can patch the PS2 version by putting files on the "lame 8MB memory card".

Online games are constantly being patched, and PSU will likely be no different. It'll be much easier now that most of the data is server-side.

peenk
Sep 2, 2006, 01:29 PM
8mb is not even enough for me to take 2 pictures w/ my uber leet 5 megapixel camera
you expect sega to be able to fix ALL the bugs PSU will have by combining them into a ONE super patch thats less than 8mbs? dont forget you will have some kinda data saved on that card from PSU already

so yes .. lame 8MB memory card

look at ANY mmorpg, even if they DONT add new areas/items/etc all the bugs they have to fix still come out to tens to hundreds of MBs ...

or does sega expect YOU ( i am not getting PS2 fo sho ) to buy 15x8MB cards? somehow i dont think they will allow you to use USB 512 MB or the like to patch the game

Online games ARE constantly being patched ... but how can you patch PS2? Oh thats right .. announce an expansion of PSU on the same day PSU launches.. GJ SEGA.

I wanted PSU to be the PSOv1 game without all the bugs. I wanted to be able to play with Japanese and European players and I wanted ALL the servers to be connected. Thats why I was against the PS2 in the first place especially after they announced no HD support. SEGA screwed up and there is no reason to defend it. Time will tell.

Julian
Sep 2, 2006, 01:35 PM
When will this Rollback happen? I noticed my character was still level 6 when I logged on this morning, and everything was a-okay. However ... I want to know if I am wasting my time by trying to play, if they'll just time-warp back to either level 1 or nothing at all. Thanks in advance.

VioletSkye
Sep 2, 2006, 01:35 PM
You need to bare in mind however that not all patches need to be downloaded. More and more, developers are able to patch the servers themselves to resolve issues.

Cross
Sep 2, 2006, 01:37 PM
Anybody freaking out about the "OH MY GOD IT'S ONLY BEEN ONE DAY AND THERE IS DUPING FUCCCCCKKKKK YOU SONIC TEAM" thing is probably jumping to conclusions. The problem is almost certainly related to the servers being so jam-packed, rather than being a vicious bug/exploit in the client's code waiting to be cracked open.

Sometime last night, I went into My Room. That by itself wasn't easy, because the servers were so overloaded that you'd be disconnected four times out of five every time you did.

I took three items out of my Partner Machinery, and was disconnected before I could do anything with them. When I logged back on, the items weren't in my inventory, and they weren't in my Partner Machinery. My character's inventory data wasn't saved while my PM's was. In this case, I lost items. If I'd done that in reverse, I'd probably have ended up inadvertantly duping those items.

I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence that there's anything worse going on than some really critical server congestion problems. These sorts of things do happen when servers get so overloaded that they aren't perfectly in sync. It's way too early to predict that they've shipped the next PSO in terms of cheating. There's a huge difference between exploits that result from an insecure game and bugs that crop up because there's an issue with the servers only when the hardware is under extreme load.

Hatori
Sep 2, 2006, 01:37 PM
So has the rollback already happened or is the time still undecided? Don't want to continue exping and have it go to waste.

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 2, 2006, 01:38 PM

instead of b1tching about all the small 8Mb cards you have and buy a 64Mb one for 25 buck it wouls save alot of money and lack of space it would hold everything comfortably, this isnt entirely directed twards you, alot of people b1tch about all the 8Mb cards they have that wont hold anyhing instead of just buying the big one, like i said not just directed at you, im sorry but this is no complaining, ive lost my chracter as well im glad they are doing something about it its only been out a very short time, thre is no room for b1tching about a server there trying to keep clean...

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
Well I think it's safe to say that most of the problems should be ironed out by the time of the North American and European releases. We shouldn't have to go through these errors. I guess that's one good thing to getting the game a few months later, evem if it means waiting in agony.

good point

Kazzi
Sep 2, 2006, 01:42 PM
Sorry Ifrian didnt mean to offend you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

We do have to remember even though this isnt a beta test anymore there WILL be bugs and errors, and which each update there will be another problem. It's the same with every online game, just be thankfull sonic team are working to fix these and i hope the continue to do this! By the time it comes out in the US/EU there will be bugs because of the language change but most of the ones like this will have been fixed. Just have some patience, it's not like there isnt a huge offline mode to play if the server is down or being buggy.

At least they have found the bug sooner rather than later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kazzi on 2006-09-02 11:43 ]</font>

peenk
Sep 2, 2006, 01:44 PM
On 2006-09-02 11:39, Kakashi_Xero wrote:

good point

another good point:
GC PSO v1.1 servers.

also, unless it says on back of the PS2 version that 64mb card is requiered for play, SEGA wont be releasing any patches more than 8 mbs ..
kthx

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peenk on 2006-09-02 11:46 ]</font>

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 2, 2006, 01:44 PM
i wasnt offended, just mearly sharin my thoughts

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 2, 2006, 01:46 PM
sorry kazzi i thought you were talking to me at first i read the begginin of your post wrong

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2006, 01:54 PM
nstead of b1tching about all the small 8Mb cards you have and buy a 64Mb one for 25 buck it wouls save alot of money and lack of space it would hold everything comfortably

Uh.. that wouldn't matter since PSU only takes up a set amount of memory. Somewhere around 3.5MB I think. If you bought a 64MB memorycard in anticipation of PSU, then you'd only be wasting 60MB of it.

As for not having enough room to patch, you're wrong. PSU plays mostly server-side, meaning that exploits can easily be patched no matter how large, with only a minimal amount of code being needed to download to your system to make the update compatable with your game. (If even that)

3.5MB of memory is PLENTY of space. Consider that the Dreamcast's memorycard was only 128Kb (BITS, not Bytes. 8bits = 1Byte). Yet it was capable of downloading multiple quests such as letter from Lionel and Central Dome Fire Swirl, and storing save files from other games as well. These games weren't programmed onto the disk... which is why you never saw AR codes to "Unlock" downloadable quests. Instead, all the materials needed to make the quest (Textures, Sounds, Effects, ect) were present - and download simply consisted of an instruction set - instructions for the game on how to build the quest. Those instruction sets are a helluva lot more complicated than the compliance patches which Sonic Team will be downloading to your PS2 and PC (which also has the same patch space limitation as the PS2 IIRC). With the PSU save file you have around 32 TIMES the space you had available on the DC's memorycards.

Hell, look at EverQuest Online Adventures for the PS2. They do (or did) constant patching and updating for years with only a 4MB file. The only time they had to release and update was when they offered the "Frontiers" expansion - which obviously could not fit on a 8MB memorycard with all the new textures, areas, effects, ect.

peenk
Sep 2, 2006, 01:56 PM
On 2006-09-02 11:54, Sinue_v2 wrote:

nstead of b1tching about all the small 8Mb cards you have and buy a 64Mb one for 25 buck it wouls save alot of money and lack of space it would hold everything comfortably

Uh.. that wouldn't matter since PSU only takes up a set amount of memory. Somewhere around 3.5MB I think. If you bought a 64MB memorycard in anticipation of PSU, then you'd only be wasting 60MB of it.

As for not having enough room to patch, you're wrong. PSU plays mostly server-side, meaning that exploits can easily be patched no matter how large, with only a minimal amount of code being needed to download to your system to make the update compatable with your game. (If even that)

3.5MB of memory is PLENTY of space. Consider that the Dreamcast's memorycard was only 128Kb (BITS, not Bytes. 8bits = 1Byte). Yet it was capable of downloading multiple quests such as letter from Lionel and Central Dome Fire Swirl, and storing save files from other games as well. These games weren't programmed onto the disk... which is why you never saw AR codes to "Unlock" downloadable quests. Instead, all the materials needed to make the quest (Textures, Sounds, Effects, ect) were present - and download simply consisted of an instruction set - instructions for the game on how to build the quest. Those instruction sets are a helluva lot more complicated than the compliance patches which Sonic Team will be downloading to your PS2 and PC (which also has the same patch space limitation as the PS2 IIRC). With the PSU save file you have around 32 TIMES the space you had available on the DC's memorycards.

Hell, look at EverQuest Online Adventures for the PS2. They do (or did) constant patching and updating for years with only a 4MB file. The only time they had to release and update was when they offered the "Frontiers" expansion - which obviously could not fit on a 8MB memorycard with all the new textures, areas, effects, ect.

God, I hope you are right.

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 2, 2006, 02:02 PM
nope i have one so i can store all of my games data on it, cause i have alot of games, plus i hate having a bunch of cards where i have so many i dont know what is what, but i can understand if PSU is the only game you have for the PSU but its better to have a bigger one in case you do plan on getting other games as well

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2006, 02:05 PM
Well, why do you think that PSU needs a broadband connection to play? There's a shitload more traffic going back and forth from your console to the server. PSO played client side, which meant that when you press your attack button, your console registered the attack, calculated the damage, and then sent that information to the server which then distributed it the other people in your team/lobby. PSO's servers were nothing more than an elaborate match-making system for P2P gameplay.

When you press the attack button on PSU, your console registers the attack - then sends that to the server which determines the damage, status effect %, ect, and then sends the results back to your console to be processed and displayed on the screen. It's an extremely simplified example, but think of the servers as your PS2 - and the ethernet cable as one huge controller cord. Your PS2 just reads a lot of the larger data (like textures, maps, sounds, ect) which won't fit through the pipeline efficently. The server's information is stored on HDD's, which information can be added to or deleted from easily. It doesn't pull data from DVD's which cannot be edited.

IIRC, Sega bought some pretty beefy and cutting edge servers for PSU and it's other online games going into the next generation. They wouldn't need all that extra power if PSU was similar to PSO.

Patches for offline mode will most likely be non-existant. If cheats are found for that, it won't matter, since only the cheater is affected by their own actions. This is also why Online and Offline mode are completely seperate. No awesome goodies (TTBOMK) are unlockable online by completing offline mode under certain specifications - because offline mode can be cheated, and by seperating the modes, Sonic Team negates the need to make massive local patches.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-09-02 12:14 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Sep 2, 2006, 02:12 PM
They will be using Force10 Networks (http://www.force10networks.com/) TeraScale E-Series servers.

SEGA Deploys Force10 Networks (http://news.taborcommunications.com/msgget.jsp?mid=537680&xsl=story.xsl)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-09-02 12:13 ]</font>

Julian
Sep 2, 2006, 02:17 PM
Still no news on when/if the servers will be rolled back? Don't want to keep playing if so -- will wait for the rollback. Sorry for being annoying...

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2006, 02:17 PM
Mmmm... Sexy. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

AxelgearVII
Sep 2, 2006, 02:33 PM
I never did mind glitches showing up in games, as long as the problem is remedied in a timely fashion. Glad to hear ST is fixing these problems right away before the damage is too extensive; for once. It gives me a little more faith in the future. Well, at least the future of JPPSU...

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2006, 02:36 PM
You know, I don't think anyone actually explicitly duped with this glitch. Sega just saw the potential to dupe with it.

This is a good sign already, in that Sega is taking a more proactive approach to stopping cheating, rather than the purely reactive stance they've previously had - waiting till a player exploited glitch got out of control before fixing it.

RoboKy
Sep 2, 2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah that's hot, it looks like they're going to crack down on hacks and stuff. Or at least that's what I got from "the playability of the game would be compromised, and we have a wish and goal to maintain a fair and level playing field for all players for a long time".

Kyunji
Sep 2, 2006, 03:41 PM
On 2006-09-02 09:10, Sinue_v2 wrote:

The fact that they discovered a major bug requiring rollback on the first day of the game's release doesn't bode well with me, however.

Bodes just peachy with me. Were this PSO, the bug would never have been fixed, and ST would have ended up having to release a patched version which plays on different servers. That would have taken months, meanwhile new bugs and dupe methods start being developed - this time without a fix due to the cost of issuing yet ANOTHER release.

So you loose a day or two's worth of effort? Not to sound callous, but I've lost years worth of work to codes and stupid corruption bugs. If they are vigilant and stay on top of the cheating issue - then I'll gladly lose a day or two here or there in the effort to patch bugs and create a more stable-secure community.

Actually, I was referring to the fact that the game went through two beta tests plus whatever in-house testing they did without this being discovered, but if it was, indeed, just from overcrowding of the servers, then that argument is void. I do agree with you about this being for the good of the community.

Sinue_v2
Sep 2, 2006, 03:51 PM
Well, even if it wasn't just a problem getting the hiccups out of the new servers under actual market conditions, beta testing isn't fool proof. Alot of the people who play the beta are doing just that - they're playing. They're not actively testing the system... they're not probing every square inch of the game looking for glitches... they're having fun, and reporting what they happen to find along the way. Bugs are going to slip through - and I'm sure there's a whole fuck-ton of them left to discover. The important thing, though, is that Sonic Team stays on top of the problems as they arise.

A little too early to be patting them on the back, I think, but the news is very encouraging.

ANIMEniac
Sep 2, 2006, 04:26 PM
On 2006-09-02 10:44, Kurosawa wrote:
One day and there's duping. ONE DAY! Of course they're doing the right thing by nipping it in the bud, but they will probably figure out another method after people get their characters developed enough to the point that they're not willing to lose them.

it would be one thing if it was a dupe trick that was unsolved... like pso. duping is not ST's fault at first untill they dont do anything about it. at first ST did something about the shop dupe trick, though it took them about 4 months. then the checkroom thing neve... nm, the important thing is that ST is actualy treating psu like an online rpg ^_^

peenk
Sep 2, 2006, 04:30 PM
On 2006-09-02 14:26, ANIMEniac wrote:

it would be one thing if it was a dupe trick that was unsolved... like pso. duping is not ST's fault at first untill they dont do anything about it. at first ST did something about the shop dupe trick, though it took them about 4 months. then the checkroom thing neve... nm, the important thing is that ST is actualy treating psu like an online rpg ^_^

Although its only been 2 days and you cant really say whether ST doing a good or bad job, judging from past experiences, problems are just begining show up.

DarkShadowX
Sep 2, 2006, 04:34 PM
Its better that the problems are showing up now, rather than in a couple months from now where it'll be a huge pain in the ass to get rid of, especially if done by rollbacking the servers, probably causing everyone to lose their well-trained characters.

Kyuu
Sep 2, 2006, 04:40 PM
This isn't something only Sonic Team deals with. ALL large-scale online games have problems on top of problems when they're first released, no matter how much beta testing is done. If this glitch that is being solved by a small rollback is the biggest problem PSU experiences with its launch, then it'll be, by far, the most bug- and glitch-free MMO launch ever.

Sega is tackling the problem timely and responsibly, and that is what's important. Total prevention is impossible.

And there were no reports of large-scale (or even small-scale) duping. Sega just said there was the potential to exploit this glitch for that purpose. They're rolling the servers back, and addressing the problem. What else do you want?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-02 14:49 ]</font>

Kyunji
Sep 2, 2006, 04:46 PM
On 2006-09-02 14:30, peenk wrote:

On 2006-09-02 14:26, ANIMEniac wrote:

Although its only been 2 days and you cant really say whether ST doing a good or bad job, judging from past experiences, problems are just begining show up.

So what you're saying is this: Sonic Team missed a serious issue that could not have possibly been detected without purposely attempting to flood the servers with more people than they were ever intended to support. They fixed the problem. Therefore, this is a bad sign... how? (And don't give me any "They should have held an open beta!" nonsense. Nine times out of ten, the only reason anyone ever wants this is to play the game before other people and brag about it afterwards. If they wanted to, they would have held an open beta.)

At any rate, the problem is now, apparently, fixed, with fairly minimal loss of data. Sure, it occured on the first day, but they also fixed it on the first day. Better than waiting for months to do anything about it, then forcing everyone to start over from level one.

Nisshoku
Sep 2, 2006, 05:11 PM
Personally, I'm glad that Sega/Sonic Team are keeping on the ball. I for one, am glad they're taking this head on, before others set to exploit it.

zaff100
Sep 2, 2006, 08:27 PM
Before any hacking or exploiting occurs ST and SEGA need to fix the coding so it actually works without any outside interfereance. Sinue gave you a pretty good explanation of what happens without going into too much detail, lets just sit back and see what happens. The chances are for all your PSU JP importers that your 30 day trial will be extended depending on the length of the server downtime and the magnitude of the problems ST find.

It is afterall only a game and all games have teething problems, the only thing is online games need players to find these rather than paid testers.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 4, 2006, 01:27 AM
Very quick & rough translation of the update:

Due to a problem on release day, all hands have been working on fix but have been unable to do so thus far. Service will be restored as follows:

-Service back up on the evening of 09.06 (Wednesday -- Japan time)
-Service during the month of September will be on a trial basis
-Service starting in October will be official (free trial periods will start then)

They're expecting the servers to get hammered, so admit there might be more problems. They also say there MIGHT be more rollbacks during the "trial" period of September.

Etc etc. There's more, but that's the main gist.

Zeota
Sep 4, 2006, 01:58 AM
Welcome to pre-2003 Ragnarok Online, folks. Sega has been bought out by Gravity. Merry christmas.

Lagging and rollbacks and bots, oh my!

LAGGING AND ROLLBACKS AND BOTS, OH MY!!!!!!

OK, so maybe not that bad, but I am too cynical for my own good.