PDA

View Full Version : PSU-Item: Machine guns

Cry0
Sep 2, 2006, 05:25 PM
Hello. Longtime reader, firsttime poster. vet on pso.

I was wondering, there is a short description of the machine gun in the items section of PSU. And as far as I know, there has never been yet a post on, or a video on how they actually work.

Machine Gun
Left-Handed
Usable By: Rangers

Known Skills:
Burning Fever, Frozen Fever, Gravter Fever, Plasma Fever

Description:
A rapid fire gun that consumes a lot of PP. The machine gun is best used in close-quarters combat. You cannot go into Subjective Viewpoint Mode with this weapon, but it allows you to strafe around enemies without using any extra controls.

Does this mean:

a) you can not hold 2 machine guns at one time (like a saber)
b) using it would b like a third person shooter (ie you can move and shoot), but without a lockon?
c) only for high levels? or attainable later in game? because i have never seen anyone use them.

thank you http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nekomimi
Sep 2, 2006, 05:27 PM
I've used a mechgun. It wasn't very good although for a ranger they might be better.

DarkShadowX
Sep 2, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hmm, interesting I personally love mechs and hope to use them again and hopefully 2 mechs not just one though that might also be a bit better.

Tycho
Sep 2, 2006, 05:46 PM
a): Right.
b): Yes, though there is still an automatic lock-on system.
c): Nuh-uh, not all that hard. People had been running around with them in the beta even. They're kinda like the Needles from PSO v3/4, with a rapid-fire option when holding the button.

zandra117
Sep 2, 2006, 05:49 PM
dual wielding 2 mechguns is impossible, heres a video of a female newman using a mechgun. http://youtube.com/watch?v=PGs36UxuiYw

vitius137
Sep 2, 2006, 06:06 PM
why is it impossible? if you can hold a mech in one hand and a saber in the other then why not be able to have 2 mechs?

Kupi
Sep 2, 2006, 06:09 PM
If for any reason, then I would guess it would be "Dual Mechguns don't exist". You can't dual-wield Sabers; you have to find an individual item of the "dual saber" type. It may be that "dual mechguns" doesn't exist.

Cry0
Sep 2, 2006, 06:15 PM
Hmm, thx.

I guess they are only really good if your base atp is good. and you dont hv 2 left hands http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

like in pso then.

DizzyDi
Sep 2, 2006, 06:21 PM
I don't see why people want to dual-wield mechguns anyway. If you dual-wielded your PP would be gone in like 5 seconds flat.

vitius137
Sep 2, 2006, 06:32 PM
On 2006-09-02 16:09, Kupi wrote:
If for any reason, then I would guess it would be "Dual Mechguns don't exist". You can't dual-wield Sabers; you have to find an individual item of the "dual saber" type. It may be that "dual mechguns" doesn't exist.

ah, i see. so you cant dual weild 2 of the same type of weapon unless you find a dual "insert item here" ?

Nekomimi
Sep 2, 2006, 06:44 PM
People don't understand that guns are kinda cruddy now due to the PP system. If you use them too much and rely only on them, your PP will be gone and you won't be able to attack.

DarkShadowX
Sep 2, 2006, 06:48 PM
On 2006-09-02 16:44, Nekomimi wrote:
People don't understand that guns are kinda cruddy now due to the PP system. If you use them too much and rely only on them, your PP will be gone and you won't be able to attack.

Ah I see, well thats all right I'm not much of a gun user anyways.

Kaply
Sep 2, 2006, 08:32 PM
The PP for weapons do recharge over time, albeit in some cases very slowly. What sucks is they have to be held in order to charge, meaning that with a two handed weapon you have no other ways to do anything until the photons recharge a little. (As opposed to saber + gun where you can use the saber while your gun charges)

Kuzzle
Sep 2, 2006, 08:48 PM
Well, that makes the Saber/Gun combo seem a lot more useful.

Niki
Sep 2, 2006, 08:54 PM
On 2006-09-02 16:44, Nekomimi wrote:

Does this not reinforce the idea that PSU is a team game and that Rangers are a support class in terms of combat? If so, does this not in some ways give Rangers the proverbial shaft?

Kaply
Sep 2, 2006, 09:03 PM
I should add one more thing, the game mechanics aren't there for it to work the way above posters are saying. When you are dual wielding (at least for gun/saber combo), you can only attack with one of the weapons at any one time. You swap in another "attack panel" in order to use the secondary weapon. So the most likely possibility for dual wielding mechguns is if there are actual items that take up both slots that are dual mechguns.

One other thing, there's sort of two ways to overcome the problem with using up PP. You can use items to recover item PP. I think that's what the fluids (or their equivalent) do now. I do remember seeing some PP restoring item, but I don't remember what they're called. The second way is to carry more weapons. I think you can hotkey like 6-8 weapons? I didn't really count them, but it was approximately that many. Of course like I mentioned earlier though, once you swap the weapon out, it doesn't charge though.

watashiwa
Sep 2, 2006, 09:14 PM
Well, I've been a Ranger up to LV 20.. did all of the open missions on C rank and even a few on B rank.. I didn't find running out of PP that bad unless I was in an area where the monsters were incredibly hard. (Like quite a few levels above me..)

As a Ranger, you don't have to rely on guns 100% of the time anyway. I use my guns alot.. but I also get in there with my Saber and Dagger (sometimes my poking stick too) and hit a couple of times then use my Photon Art.

For rangers, I think, for optimum play.. you definitely need a group for the best effect. If you're playing solo, plan to melee a lot if you fight lower level enemies (Although it is fun to plow through them with dual guns and watch them die really fast..) For enemies around your level, you can mix and match. (I find I hardly run out of PP as much as people make it out to believe.. but I carry a lot of guns. I have a Saber/Handgun, Dagger/Handgun, Rifle, Dual Guns and my pointy stick with me at all times.. I switch when appropriate for whatever situation. I seem to be able to make it to the chargers in the dungeons just as I'm running out of everything... UNLESS we're fighting extremely higher leveled monsters, like I said.. then sometimes I have to return to base to use the PP charger..)

I find playing a Ranger is really fun .. I'm sure Hunter is great too .. but I kind of consider myself a RA/HU .. Keeping my distance when fighting hard enemies and using status effects to help out the party (freezing enemies with my rifle) or getting right in there with my Handguns and melee weapons when we're fighting low or enemies around our level. I guess you could say I play more like a RA/HU..! (Which is probably what I'm going to become as an Expert job..)

Nekomimi
Sep 2, 2006, 09:55 PM
Something I haven't tested yet is if PP usage on guns is decreased while you're actually playing a Ranger. While it makes sense, I doubt that's the case. :/

Eclypse
Sep 2, 2006, 10:03 PM
I like that they implemented the PP because in reality a gun will never have unlimited bullets as they did in PSO. Even though the guns in PSO didn't fire bullets as we know them, even in a fantasy game, it seems more inline to have it seem like the gun uses a powercell that has to recharge or something as opposed to just constantly firing and never running out of juice/bullets.

Never been a fan of the RA type characters, but I could see that some people will feel shafted with the PP system in play.

A2K
Sep 3, 2006, 12:40 AM
Rangers would be rather broken if all anyone had to do was sit back and just shoot shoot shoot without having to worry too much about mobs retaliating.

Bring a few more guns and have a melee as backup.

You can recharge them with an item (Photon Charge, I think it was called) but they're hard to find/expensive.

It's certainly a change, but it's not really as much as a detriment to play as a ranger as it seems.

Cry0
Sep 3, 2006, 01:39 AM
ranger almost sounds dissapointing.

but i think i'll still like it. cant beat a good gun, and if you've got a double dagger or whatever to back it up, then np.

and i don't care about money so much anyway. once u get a higher level and get more, just bring enough of them fluids till you gt to a recharge point.

Pure-chan
Sep 3, 2006, 02:16 AM
The 'PP per bullet' idea is a fair tradeoff for not forcing players into a three or five-hit combo when using guns.

Having a gun that can only fire three shots before cooling down doesn't feel very modern (especially for a game based thousands of years in the future). With the exception of single shot weapons (like a bolt-action rifle) most guns can pull off more than three shots before the shooter needs to pause. Even revolvers can double the output of the PSO handgun. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Next consider game balance. Sans cooldown and/or ammunition, all you would need to do is continuously kite the AI with a rifle. Without some sort of cost in place, what stops players from indiscriminately spamming fire into every mob? Guns have a farther reach, hit at a higher rate of fire and miss less than their melee counterparts.

+ good range
+ solid damage & great accuracy
+ no PP cost from non-PA attacks
+ no combo cap
-------------------
would = gun spam ftw.

Instead, it looks like rangers will have resource managment to consider (more so than HU). Hopefully this helps protect non-RA players from the exp-whoring mindset seen with berserk needle carrying RAcast-types (while at the same time offering new strategic challenges for a very enjoyable class). http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaply
Sep 3, 2006, 04:04 AM
All the balancing for ammo, etc. sounds good until you see forces who are basically under the same management system with techs... except for one thing. My force never had as much trouble running out of PP for their techs and they use it a lot more. I'm not sure if there's a specific stat that governs the recharge rate, or if it's just that newmens recharge faster.

Cry0
Sep 3, 2006, 04:14 AM
btw isn't double handguns better then machine gun then? more power, less pp consuming and equal fire rate?

watashiwa
Sep 3, 2006, 04:17 AM
Cry0: For me.. YES.

TimeBombPlus
Sep 3, 2006, 04:20 AM
this may have been asked in another forum topic, and if so just ignore it, but if you have two handguns in your inventory can you use both of them at the same time or do you actually have to find an item called "double/twin handguns"? i was reading through here and that confused me. anyways if you could maybe clear that up that would be helpful, thanks in advance

watashiwa
Sep 3, 2006, 04:22 AM
You have to purchase double handguns. ;(

Alisha
Sep 3, 2006, 04:29 AM
how are monsters distributed? what mean by this is if a ranger is using elemental bullets how often would they need to change ammo for maximum damage/effectiveness?

TimeBombPlus
Sep 3, 2006, 04:30 AM
hmm... i thought you could just stick any weapons that could dual weld together and just use them, but actually buying double handguns so you can use two handguns sounds um.. weird. i wonder if i would ever get used to that or like it

mechatra
Sep 3, 2006, 04:53 AM
Normally single types of enemies will attack in packs, but often two different packs will come at you at a time.

Diablohead
Sep 3, 2006, 11:02 AM
I can see the mechguns getting better for areas later on, groups of mobs etc since you can hit more then one enemy at a time with it at ease. Kind of like the pso shotgun weapons, not the best on one mob but better against 5 at once as support.

Blueblur
Sep 3, 2006, 11:23 AM
I'm a ranger-fan and I'm happy with the changes seen so far. I feel that the different classes are now more balanced than ever.

Fleece
Sep 3, 2006, 11:29 AM
6 people with mechguns would rock a gang of monsters

Pure-chan
Sep 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
On 2006-09-03 02:04, Kaply wrote:
All the balancing for ammo, etc. sounds good until you see forces who are basically under the same management system with techs... except for one thing. My force never had as much trouble running out of PP for their techs and they use it a lot more. I'm not sure if there's a specific stat that governs the recharge rate, or if it's just that newmens recharge faster.

I was under the impression that newman FO and cast RA had a quicker PP recharge rate than other race/class combos. Can anyone verify this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-09-03 10:51 ]</font>

Cry0
Sep 3, 2006, 01:19 PM
i know cast regrows pp faster thenothers. dunno about the newm though. so u lose pp with guns, even if you shoot normal, and if u use a special, u lose even more?

Skye-Fox713
Sep 3, 2006, 02:47 PM
the pp system on the guns can also make for some interesting stiuations for missions. For example you and your group of other rangers are traped by a relentless mob of monsters that seem to never end and the group is running out of ammo only to delay the inevitable then finaly run out of ammo and are finaly over wellmed by the mob. Just my 2 meseta, also I have been wondering about how do you hold a mechgun if you only have the mechgun equiped. Do you just hold it in your left hand or do you hold it with 2 hand like a rifle

oShojino
Sep 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
if equiped alone I believe it is equiped in your main hand (right hand) and shot with one hand. Also to clear something up about dual wield, you only have to buy dual packages if you're trying to dual two weapons of the same type (saber x saber, gun x gun etc). It is possible to take a single saber and single gun and equip them together, if I remember correctly (although I really wanted to see more combos that didnt require a gun, like saber x dagger).