PDA

View Full Version : PS2 dial-up

DoubleJG
Sep 2, 2006, 07:13 PM
Someone told me that dial-up has been reported of being capable to play PSU online.

My question which still remains is, will dial-up work for PSU on the PS2 version? Nearly all games other than FFXI must be broadband in order to play online for PS2 yet PC gets by with alot of dial-up games.

Any PS2 jp version PS2 dial-uppers out there? Any other just plain helpful information would work.

*I have wireless for my laptop yet I enjoy playing console much more. So, laptop is my backup.

Dhylec
Sep 2, 2006, 07:18 PM
I do not think PS2 supports dial-up; the new slim model has a built-in ethernet port. Unless you can find a modem adaptor for the older model?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2006-09-02 17:19 ]</font>

Kyunji
Sep 2, 2006, 07:19 PM
It works, but expect to wait about five to ten seconds or so for any server-handled action to occur, which includes just about everything except character movement and such.

Also, please don't become another xenokai and keep asking over and over again after people tell you otherwise.

DoubleJG
Sep 2, 2006, 07:27 PM
I don't intend to repost this. Someone told me that dial-up was indeed supported but as for which one platform was not specified. Now I have my answer, either way I'll be able to get online thankfully.

*Spelt report, meant repost..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DoubleJG3288 on 2006-09-02 18:28 ]</font>

Kyunji
Sep 2, 2006, 08:11 PM
On 2006-09-02 17:27, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
I don't intend to report this. Someone told me that dial-up was indeed supported but as for which one platform was not specified. Now I have my answer, either way I'll be able to get online thankfully.

I think you missed the point here. Dial-up works with Phantasy Star Universe; it just renders the game virtually unplayable. The amount of lag experienced with the game is (reportedly) almost unbearable.

DoubleJG
Sep 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'd imagine that the lag would be unbearable and that the only things you could possible do to experience as little lag as possible would be to go to your room or venture out alone.

What I meant by being able to get online either way was via laptop wireless. I'll still give dial-up a shot, yet I believe it when people say "nearly unplayable" because dial-up sucks.

Kyunji
Sep 2, 2006, 08:36 PM
On 2006-09-02 18:31, DoubleJG3288 wrote:
I'd imagine that the lag would be unbearable and that the only things you could possible do to experience as little lag as possible would be to go to your room or venture out alone.

What I meant by being able to get online either way was via laptop wireless. I'll still give dial-up a shot, yet I believe it when people say "nearly unplayable" because dial-up sucks.

Even venturing out alone would result in horrible lag due to damage, monster positions and status, and various other things being calculated server-side. Staying in your room would be fine until you tried to actually do something.

At any rate, sounds like you might be able to play anyways. You'll need a very high-end laptop, however; Phantasy Star Universe can be very graphics-card intensive.

DoubleJG
Sep 2, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ya, I suppose you're right when it comes to monsters and whatnot..

As for my laptop, it's pretty new, only a month old. It's able to handle FFXI on the highest graphic resolution so I'd imagine that it'll be able to handle PSU (even at the lowest resolution, assuming that resolution can be modified).

Fleece
Sep 3, 2006, 03:59 AM
Dial Up will work fine but expect about a half second to second delay between any reaction to your input.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, i'm hungover AGAIN

And dont gimme crap about 5 to ten second delay. thats SEVERELY over exagerating. your ping will be about 300 - 500. I.E .3 of a second to .5 of a second delay. Much like playing Final Fantasy as everyones bandwidth was cut to the level of 56k no matter how fast your connection was.

But i guess you already knew all that.

Kyuu
Sep 3, 2006, 11:54 AM
300 to 500 on dialup? o_0 On WoW, 300-500 ping was the average for people with broadband.

Dahilia
Sep 3, 2006, 01:09 PM
Lol, I had 300-500 ping on WoW when I played it on dialup, and I was on one of the most crowded servers (Unless I went into Alterac Valley, then it went to 1k-12k).

That aside, I love how people get in a tizzy over dialup. The "worst" issues I've had on dialup gaming were just it taking a while to download patches.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 3, 2006, 01:12 PM
you never played starcraft then. You'd get kicked if you were downloading a custom map and it would take 5 minutes to finish.

Dahilia
Sep 3, 2006, 01:25 PM
Isn't starcraft older? Like, pre-DSL and when cable was still a phenomena?

Disconnections during a download would likely corrupt the file, especially if it didn't ovewrite when you tried again (if that's an issue with a pay to play game these days, you need a refund). With patches, it's more annoying than a problem but it's endurable since they generally overwrite the incomplete file-or, even better, pick up where they left off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dahilia on 2006-09-03 11:44 ]</font>

Sinue_v2
Sep 3, 2006, 02:38 PM
Uh, as I understand it - 56k works on games like EQ and FFXI, because their combat system is automated - with the only thing the player having to worry about is casting spells and special attacks. That SEVERELY reduces traffic being sent and recieved. If you notice with those games, it's not uncommon to see enemies or allies warp around - or for combos to fail unless timed precicely right. When I was playing EQOA, it wasn't uncommon for even a little bit of lag to "Freeze" the game, only to find your player dead when the lag cleared up.

In PSO, this was most evident in Lobby Ball (or Lag Ball, as it's nicknamed). You could have the ball kicked half-way down the feild before seeing it dissapear and reappear under the control of opposing players. This is because the servers did the work determining the ball's position, who was kicking it. Your GameCube or Dreamcast would only show you kicking the ball until the information packets from the server caught up - at which time the game fixed the conditions.
Can you imagine the whole game being like that? Even worse, since it's almost entirely played serverside and there's a helluva lot more data being sent and recieved.

I don't think it's an exaggeration at all to expect a lot of warping, and long delay times between action you preform and seeing it taken place on screen on 56k.

DoubleJG
Sep 4, 2006, 12:46 AM
As long as I am able to connect and do basic stuff, such as even being able to check my Player Shop will be fine for me. I mean sure, I'd LOVE to be able to play with little to medium lag on my dial-up PS2 version, but as far as I know I will be playing PSUPC on my wireless laptop.

Still, I will have hope until I experience it with my own eyes. Thanks for all the input all.