PDA

View Full Version : Just got PS collection

Foxix
Sep 3, 2006, 03:00 AM
Well on thursday or so game crazy called telling me it came in http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (unfortunately my game boy player is still on its way http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif ) I thought I would wait for it to come in and play phantasy star like it should be played, on a nice big t.v. but I couldn't resist http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif So I am using my DS lite instead... the old SP is soo bad in comparison.

After reading all these different reviews about how poorly the game had aged and how it sucked compared modern rpg's I was prepared for the worst. Well I popped it in and was pleasently suprised by the fact that those people must have been on crack. I have only gotten to the bit where you get Myau and have to find Odin, but I am amazed at just how ahead of its time this game was.

The battle system is a bit confusing and I would normally consider it outdated in another title, but here I feel it just compliments the already blazing difficulty. My only problem so far is the serious lack of direction, but thats what the internet is for. The advantage is though, if I don't use a guide, I end up leveling A LOT while I am figuring out what to do next.

Also, I know this was not intended but I think that this is one of the funniest games I have ever played. Ranking right up there with Conker and Disgaea just because so much of it is so poorly translated that I find myself giggling while playing it... is that wrong?

Anyway I can't wait to beat them and then replay numbers 2 and 3 on the Sega genesis collection. I will then get to play PS 4 and finally complete my only goal in life @_@

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Foxix on 2006-09-03 01:12 ]</font>

Polly
Sep 3, 2006, 03:01 AM
The battery in my Phantasy Star Collection for GBA died pretty damn fast :( By that time the game was already scarce and Sega wasn't much help. Glad I still have the originals, but I'd have liked to save some wear and tear on em xD

Foxix
Sep 3, 2006, 03:16 AM
hmm? can't believe it died that fast. You should look into how to replace the battery it's a shame to let it go to waste like that.

I had originally planned on getting the originals but I figured that this way is just more cost efficient. I can deal with a save glitch now and then, considering I save the game constantly without mercy. However should my GBA version die I will hunt down a power base and PS1 till the end of the earth.

Sinue_v2
Sep 3, 2006, 07:48 AM
After reading all these different reviews about how poorly the game had aged and how it sucked compared modern rpg's I was prepared for the worst.

What kind of reveiws have you been reading? Most of the reviews I see for the original Phantasy Star series (expecially those comming from RPG dedicated sites) hearald them as triumphs of their time. Of course they're not going to hold up against modern RPGs, and most level headed reviewers understand that. Phantasy Star was the first console RPG released in the US - and was one of the big three (DW,FF,PS) which really made RPGs popular in Japan.

An no.. there wasn't a whole lot of direction or heavy storytelling back then. A lot of RPG fans would actually like if RPGs would take a lesson from those old games, since many modern RPGs lead you around by the nose from area to area so much that they lose a lot of their challenge and sence of exploration. And if you look at it - Phantasy Star had pretty much always been far ahead of it's contemporarys in terms of storyline and graphics. Phantasy Star was the first console RPG to feature cutscenes, after all. By the time the SNES came out and really started the classic RPG revolution, the Phantasy Star series was already in it's third incarnation and introducing players to the generational divided storyline of PSIII. PSIV was going to be the first RPG with fully animated pre-rendered cutscenes (Or perhaps Lunar was, what year did Lunar come out?). Either way, Phantasy Star IV's storyline and gameplay was every-bit on par with the Final Fantasy classics like VI. It was a magum opus of it's time, and still often considered by RPG fans to be one of the brightest gems of the 16bit generation.

Phantasy Star II, expecially, I've noticed gets a LOT of praise for it's (though primitively told) philosophical and tragic storyline - which was years ahead of it's time.

Ranking right up there with Conker and Disgaea just because so much of it is so poorly translated that I find myself giggling while playing it... is that wrong?

If you find it funny, more power to you. I find it shameful that Sega did such a poor job of the translation... but hey... that was the standard of the day I guess.

The battery in my Phantasy Star Collection for GBA died pretty damn fast

Uh... I didn't think the GBA Collection used batteries to save information. I thought it was saved on some sort of solid-state ROM chip like it is for most modern cartridge games.

Arias
Sep 3, 2006, 09:35 AM
And to think I thought I was a fan of Phantasy Star...
Only played Phantasy Star Online for gamecube by now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif waiting for PSU

Polly
Sep 3, 2006, 12:00 PM
On 2006-09-03 05:48, Sinue_v2 wrote:
Uh... I didn't think the GBA Collection used batteries to save information. I thought it was saved on some sort of solid-state ROM chip like it is for most modern cartridge games.

Ya got me, I just know mine's dead xP

Foxix
Sep 3, 2006, 03:17 PM
Most of the official reviews were pretty good but in some cases of user/reader reviews who had never played them before, they were pretty low.

Sinue_v2
Sep 3, 2006, 07:36 PM
You mean those stupid GameFaqs user reviews?

Those aren't to be trusted.... they are reviews from fanboys, for fanboys. Everything is usually 9/10 - 10/10 or 1/10 - 0/10. Most of them aren't even reviews - they are just rants (weither pro or con) with an arbitrary score attached.

Leviathan
Sep 3, 2006, 07:56 PM
Umm. PS 3 is really great! Just haven't got out of the 1 generation yet, lol.

SubstanceD
Sep 4, 2006, 03:08 AM
I never owned a Sega Genesis console so I never had an oppurtunity to play these games the first time around. My first introduction to the Phantasy Star series was via PC Emulation.

Anyhow, I own The Phantasy Star collection for the GBA. To be honest, I have mixed feelings towards these games. Phantasy Star 1 isn't really suited to my tastes. Phantasy Star 2 is an okay game although I haven't reached very far in it because it can be a very tedious game to play since I find myself spending hours and hours just leveling up. I haven't really spent any time playing Phantasy Star 3 so I can't really judge it yet. Shame really, at the end of the day the only Phantasy Star game that I really want to play ( beside PSO and PSU ) is Phantasy Star 4 which I think is awesome and that game isn't included on the Collection.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SubstanceD on 2006-09-04 01:09 ]</font>

agenevil
Sep 4, 2006, 12:20 PM
I still have a boxed (though not sealed) copy of the GBA collection... I keep it more for sentimental and collecting purposes, seeing how I don't really care for the game itself.