PDA

View Full Version : Death in PSU?

Pitchshifter
Sep 3, 2006, 03:34 PM
So do you still drop weapons and your meseta when you die in PSU? I haven't seen that answered anywhere and would like to know.

I hated that on Dreamcast, even more when you ran out of Scape dolls, and had to go back to Pioneer 1 or lay there and watch someone swipe your stuff then lay a Pipe and run out of the room, too many thieves.

Phaze37
Sep 3, 2006, 03:46 PM
PSU doesnt do that, and PSO hasn't done that in a long time either. In PSO Episodes 1&2 for gamecube and xbox, you'd lose all of the money you had on you at the time if you don't get resurrected, and your mag would lose some of it's synchro, but your weapon was safe. In PSO Blue Burst on PC, you'd lose some experience. From what I understand, in PSU you get a rank at the end of each mission, and this rank determines the reward you get, which includes meseta and job experience. Naturally, dying lowers the rank for your whole team, so when I finally get to play PSU I'm gonna be really careful about not dying, especially since I'll probably be playing as a frail Force.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-09-03 13:52 ]</font>

Cross
Sep 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
You don't drop any items, lose any meseta, or lose any experience, as far as I can tell.

What you do lose is ranking. When you're in a Trial (some sections in Story Mode offline are Trials, bosses are Trials, and Free Missions are Trials, and almost everything online is a Trial), every death on your team incurs a -300 point penalty toward your overall rating at the end. A perfect rating is 1000 which is an S-Rank, and from there you're ranked A through D depending on your overall score.

Depending on what your rank is, you get a certain amount of meseta and/or items, and (most importantly) Job Experience. If you die a lot, your job level is going to lag behind really badly.

DarkShadowX
Sep 3, 2006, 03:59 PM
As thats interesting, though I had a feeling thats how it would work out.

Ryoga4523
Sep 3, 2006, 04:05 PM
Wow.... that is cool. So no more gimme gimme gimme players (ppl who will run torward a special item with out fear of death) in a group hopefully

Phaze37
Sep 3, 2006, 04:09 PM
In PSU I think the default setting is to have rare items appear in a random players inventory, rather than drop on the floor. I think the team leader can change it back to having the rare drop on the floor, but I'm not going to play in any team that does that. I missed out on way too many awesome rares in PSO just because I was at a distance because I was using a ranger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-09-03 14:10 ]</font>

DarkShadowX
Sep 3, 2006, 04:11 PM
On 2006-09-03 14:09, Phaze37 wrote:
In PSU I think the default setting is to have rare items appear in a random players inventory, rather than drop on the floor. I think the team leader can change it back to having the rare drop on the floor, but I'm not going to play in any team that does that. I missed out on way too many awesome rares in PSO just because I was at a distance because I was using a ranger.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-09-03 14:10 ]</font>

How true, I'm glad they added that. That way noone will start bitching and moaning about how you stole their rare or something(though they'll probably still bitch anyways)

Cry0
Sep 3, 2006, 04:21 PM
I found the ground thing a good idea. First come first serves.
Now, even if a rare drops you'll sometimes have even only 1/6 chance of getting it. I don't like that. Best way is to let the team leader distribute them, or let m drop on floor imo.

if you're hunting something, obviously do it alone or with people you know.

Kyuu
Sep 3, 2006, 04:32 PM
The loot setting doesn't change whether or not items drop on the ground or not, but simply determines how it is distributed. So if it's on the random setting, for example, then, no matter who picks it up, the item is randomly given to one of the party members.

I could be wrong, though.

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 3, 2006, 05:23 PM
Reminds me of Monster Hunter, yet alot of people don't like MH in the US.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 3, 2006, 05:37 PM
if you die in story mode without a scape doll, GAME OVER.

Diablohead
Sep 3, 2006, 06:01 PM
I like the random inventory placement for rares when you play in public games, but if its like pso on dc I will play with mates 90% of the time, much more fun and a nicer chat also http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nekomimi
Sep 3, 2006, 07:06 PM
Lots of people in the US like Monster Hunter. 90% of people who actually try it, like it. The misconception that American's don't like MH is due to the fact that GAMESPOT and IGN don't like it, give it low scores, and then the mindless drones do not buy it.

It's a great game and most people enjoy it very much. It's just a low amount of people even bother to try it because they don't know how to form an opinion on their own without someone or something else telling them how.

Emrald
Sep 3, 2006, 07:30 PM
I personally don't like this new random distribute thingy...I mean seirously it should be first come first serve....if your smart what you do (if your with real good psu friends) is say Look I get these items and you get those items....but I hardly did that with strangers...only wtih good pso friends....but random is still stupid becuase then you still miss out on an item you want if someone gets it other then you....

Nika
Sep 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
First come first serve give too much adventage for Hunter

Emrald
Sep 3, 2006, 07:38 PM
Unless you were a smart force as my self and just did techs up close when you could

DraginHikari
Sep 3, 2006, 07:40 PM
You pretty much then have to decide, no one is forcing you to do it one way or another, they're giving a choice in the matter. If your playing with good friends anyway it won't matter if it goes to you or to one of your friends if you call it.

Shinjiro
Sep 3, 2006, 08:04 PM
On 2006-09-03 15:23, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

I <3ed MH, I can't wait for MH Dos to come out, although I'd much rather have PSU come out in the US right now. *Waits*

Oh yeah, sorry if this is kinda spam for this topic xD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinjiro on 2006-09-03 18:05 ]</font>

Nekomimi
Sep 3, 2006, 08:17 PM
On 2006-09-03 18:04, Shinjiro wrote:

On 2006-09-03 15:23, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

I <3ed MH, I can't wait for MH Dos to come out, although I'd much rather have PSU come out in the US right now. *Waits*

Oh yeah, sorry if this is kinda spam for this topic xD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinjiro on 2006-09-03 18:05 ]</font>

MHDos isn't coming out in America...

Sorry. But, MHP2nd probably will. It has all the new weapons and monsters, so, you can get your fix there.

UniKoRn
Sep 3, 2006, 08:27 PM
So you don't lose experience points from death.. but it can effect your ranking for experience points at the end of the level... and onto some questions...

all players in a team get an equal amount of experience per area/quest?

therefore each individual monster kill does not get you experience points, but tallys to the teams overall end of quest experience?

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 3, 2006, 08:30 PM
I don't really like the item distribution cuz then, I only have a chance of getting the rares unless I solo or something.

Nekomimi
Sep 3, 2006, 08:33 PM
EXP is still distributed the same way as PSO. That is, if you kill the monster, you get more than someone who only hit it, and if you don't hit it at all, you won't get anything.

As for people complaining about random item distribution, if you're hunting something specific, make it known before you start the quest, and if you're playing with any kind of decent group, they'll just give it to you. Other than that, it's a totally fair way of playing.

This isn't like WoW where rare items bind to the person who picks them up.

Number6
Sep 3, 2006, 08:38 PM
You can still do first come first serve. It's called "Finder's Keepers" and it's the default. So =P

jnblz316
Sep 3, 2006, 08:46 PM
From what I understand, in PSU you get a rank at the end of each mission, and this rank determines the reward you get, which includes meseta and job experience.

YES!!! You can get experience as rewards in PSU? nice. They should have done that on PSO when completing the quests.

Nekomimi
Sep 3, 2006, 08:48 PM
JOB experience, not regular, kill an enemy experience. As far as I know, it's the only way TO get Job Experience.

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
On 2006-09-03 17:06, Nekomimi wrote:
Lots of people in the US like Monster Hunter. 90% of people who actually try it, like it. The misconception that American's don't like MH is due to the fact that GAMESPOT and IGN don't like it, give it low scores, and then the mindless drones do not buy it.

It's a great game and most people enjoy it very much. It's just a low amount of people even bother to try it because they don't know how to form an opinion on their own without someone or something else telling them how.

yeah but when you don't sell over a few hundred thousands titles you pretty much have to presume a region doesn't like a title. Selling a few thousand won't really cut it, if even that many, only about 500-700 people play MH online which isn't a lot.

Kuzzle
Sep 3, 2006, 09:07 PM
On 2006-09-03 18:48, Nekomimi wrote:
JOB experience, not regular, kill an enemy experience. As far as I know, it's the only way TO get Job Experience.

So, theroretically, if you played with friends, and you just kind of hung out in the back, never getting a hit in, you could have a higher Job level than your regular level? Hm...

Nekomimi
Sep 3, 2006, 09:10 PM
On 2006-09-03 19:00, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

yeah but when you don't sell over a few hundred thousands titles you pretty much have to presume a region doesn't like a title. Selling a few thousand won't really cut it, if even that many, only about 500-700 people play MH online which isn't a lot.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I'm well aware of the difficulties MH hit in the US. The PSP title however is probably the best selling PSP title in the US not counting GTA.

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 3, 2006, 09:13 PM
On 2006-09-03 19:10, Nekomimi wrote:

On 2006-09-03 19:00, Blackwaltz-R wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I'm well aware of the difficulties MH hit in the US. The PSP title however is probably the best selling PSP title in the US not counting GTA.

Yeah MH would be the ONLY reason I would even look at a PSP let alone touch it.

Pitchshifter
Sep 3, 2006, 11:07 PM
This is good to hear. I haven't played PSO since Dreamcast (no xbox live, no gcn, and a kinda crappy pc) so I had no idea what the others were like... just know I hated playing with a random group and running out of scape dolls, had too many and seen too many rares stolen from it.

The money didn't really bother me much, as it was easy to get on DC, maxed my bank and had max on me at one point legit.

I read about the ranking and stuff on here but didn't see anything about if you dropped your weapons from death or not, not that it would of stopped me from getting PSU, but just wanted to know.

BoxyBrown
Sep 3, 2006, 11:26 PM
yeah it is cool that people cant steal.
and now that rares r given to random people that just makes it a luck game.
i think that if u kill the monster then that should be ur rare.

BoxyBrown
Sep 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
huh u do have a point.
although u could just master some techniques and that would make killing easier but that would take a lot of effort.

Nekomimi
Sep 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
On 2006-09-03 21:26, BoxyBrown wrote:
yeah it is cool that people cant steal.
and now that rares r given to random people that just makes it a luck game.
i think that if u kill the monster then that should be ur rare.

What if you're playing a Force that specializes in support techniques instead of attack techniques?

Kyuu
Sep 3, 2006, 11:34 PM
Luck > selfish bastards who steal all the rares.

BoxyBrown
Sep 3, 2006, 11:34 PM
yes thats true thats y i like the luck thing more than a race.
still i like the idea of whoever kills the monster gets the rare.

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 3, 2006, 11:52 PM
The need to import Monster Hunter Dos is why I'm probably not importing PSU. I'm looking at enough Japanese that I can't understand despite taking a year of classes already...freaking kanji.

About the loot, Monster Hunter gave everyone the same amount of carves (loots) and each carve was a random item. From what I understand in PSU's random item distribution, isn't it just ONE random item that gets distributed to one random person? (Thanks to PSU's trade system, having an MH-style loot system would merely discourage less-than-max-people parties. Imagine having six times the loot and having it all given to a single player because the other five are all so nice!)

Also, is dropped money evenly distributed or given to a random person like an item?