PDA

View Full Version : Story Mode Loves and Gripes (spoilers?)

Number6
Sep 3, 2006, 07:03 PM
I've been playing story mode for 4 Chapters now thanks to the servers being down. I do like the game a lot and so far it's pretty fun offline.

It's not perfect however, and I'd like to comment about some of these awkward times. First of all, your party's A.I.... it sometimes makes MOME seem like an articulate genius. Seriously, though, why is my party so afraid to fight? Are they scared that they are stealing my EXP? Because they certainly are not. They get smacked silly and don't attack much unless they get run over or I initiate combat.

I especially got a tad upset during a mission where you had to wipe out those SEED globes near the beginning of the game. (This won't make sense unless you did this part already, as to avoid spoiling it, I'm being vague.) When I'd go into infrared mode, they'd seem to constantly stand right in my way so I couldn't see the globes and had to readjust my position. Then to make things more fun, they wouldn't exterminate them until I was on top of fiery lava, and we'd all get hit for no reason other than bad A.I.

Minor gripes, but it's sad when you wish MOME was here. =)

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 3, 2006, 07:13 PM
if its gonna be like that, hopefully you won't fail the mission if they die or something, just as long as I can fight to the best of my ability.

Nika
Sep 3, 2006, 07:32 PM
Then, how to get rank S in story mode if AI is very suck ? Have you ever gotten one ?

Number6
Sep 3, 2006, 07:37 PM
Lots of As, but no S so far.

A2K
Sep 3, 2006, 09:02 PM
I don't think party deaths count against your rankings in Story Mode missions. That said, you shouldn't be relying too much on them. The only party member I seem to get any use out of is Maya for her support techniques, but even then she seems rather off and on about those too.

Unknown_PC
Sep 3, 2006, 09:33 PM
Party member deaths will only deduct points to rankings in a small amount of story missions. An example would be the De Ragan boss fight.

I've been playing some story mode up to chapter 8 since the servers are down. It appears that one could achieve S rank in any Free/Story mission by getting 1,000 points at the end.

In most Free missions, you just need to beat it within a target time and kill most if not all monsters to get 1,000 points. Each second over the target time seems to deduct 10 points 1 point. Not defeating 1~2 enemies in a mission also deducts 10~20 points depending on the mission.

So for example, if you do the first Free Mission : Primitive Creature Suppression (原生生物鎮圧) :

Beat the stage within 1:50 - 600 points
Defeated all enemies - 400 points
Total - 1,000 points, S rank

But if you go over the target time :

Beat the stage in 1:51 - 599 points
Total - 999 points, A rank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Same applies to monsters defeated :

Defeated all but 1 enemy - 395 points
Total - 995 points, A rank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Edit : point stuff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Unknown_PC on 2006-09-03 20:18 ]</font>

vitius137
Sep 3, 2006, 09:36 PM
On 2006-09-03 19:33, Unknown_PC wrote:
Party member deaths will only deduct points to rankings in a small amount of story missions. An example would be the De Ragan boss fight.

I've been playing some story mode up to chapter 8 since the servers are down. It appears that one could achieve S rank in any Free/Story mission by getting 1,000 points at the end.

In most Free missions, you just need to beat it within a target time and kill most if not all monsters to get 1,000 points. Each second over the target time seems to deduct 10 points as far as I could tell. Not defeating 1~2 enemies in a mission also deduct 10~20 points.

So for example, if you do the first Free Mission : Primitive Creature Suppression (原生生物鎮圧) :

Total - 1,000 points, S rank

But if you go over the target time :

Beat the stage in 1:51 - 590 points
Total - 990 points, A rank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Same applies to monsters defeated :

Defeated all but 1 enemy - 395 points
Total - 995 points, A rank http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Very informative. I especially liked the use of sad smiley faces http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaply
Sep 3, 2006, 09:57 PM
Odd, I'm not too sure which free mission I was working on, but the first one available from the first planet has it such that it's about one point per second. I kept beating the stage with like 1:53 and ended up with 998 pts or so.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 3, 2006, 10:01 PM
I think the story is very, very lame. Most game stories are though, so not much of a surprise.

Unknown_PC
Sep 3, 2006, 10:15 PM
Odd, I'm not too sure which free mission I was working on, but the first one available from the first planet has it such that it's about one point per second. I kept beating the stage with like 1:53 and ended up with 998 pts or so.

Now that you mentioned it, you're probably right, my mistake.

I'll double-check if I have time once I get off from work later today

Edit : Just tested it, it is indeed 1 point deduction per second.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Unknown_PC on 2006-09-04 02:38 ]</font>

Kyuu
Sep 3, 2006, 10:19 PM
On 2006-09-03 20:01, GaijinPUnch wrote:

I think the story is very, very lame. Most game stories are though, so not much of a surprise.
Two questions: are you playing the PSU Story Mode?

And if you are, can you understand Japanese and so know what is going on?

If the answer to either question is no, then I don't see how your opinion has any validity.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 3, 2006, 11:38 PM
If the answer to either question is no, then I don't see how your opinion has any validity.

Yes to both, obviously. One, this topic is about story mode. Two, why would I criticize the story if I couldn't understand it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2006-09-03 21:39 ]</font>

Kyuu
Sep 3, 2006, 11:42 PM
On 2006-09-03 21:38, GaijinPUnch wrote:

Yes to both, obviously. One, this topic is about story mode. Two, why would I criticize the story if I couldn't understand it?Hey, this is the internet. Not only that, it's a forum on the internet. Since when do people need to have a basis for their opinion? Didn't mean any offense to you personally.

So, in that case... meh. I'm not as uptight about what constitutes a "good" story as most people, so I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

A2K
Sep 3, 2006, 11:45 PM
I find it amusing so far. I imagine it gets rightfully "epic" later on. Although, that twist at the end of Chapter 3 involving the doctor was rather unexpected. A lot was going on in Chapter 5 surrounding Karen that I couldn't comprehend... eh, I can't wait for the domestic so I can actually understand what was going on.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 4, 2006, 12:52 AM
I don't deny that it could get better, but it's horribly cliche' thus far. Admitedly I'm in Chapter 2, but so far the characters (especially the three morons you run into in Chapter 1) left a pretty cheesy taste in my mouth (no pun intended).

Kyuu
Sep 4, 2006, 04:18 AM
Let us know what you think after you've gotten a few more chapters in, Gaijin, since you're one of the few around here who can actually understand what the crap is going on. o_0