PDA

View Full Version : Animated Series

vitius137
Sep 4, 2006, 12:06 AM
After watching some PSU cutscenes I had an idea. Bear with me for a minute.

How many of you would like to maybe see a PSU animated series some day? If it were to happen (unlikely) it would probably be Japan exclusive but it wouldn,t have to be anime (although I wouldn't mind anime). It could be 3D animation similar to Advent Children. While I was watching the cutscenes I sort of didn't want them to end. This is a crazy idea but I just wanna see who would be up for it.

PS. The making of the animated series would not interfere with updates and maintenance for the game.

BoxyBrown
Sep 4, 2006, 12:08 AM
i thought that a PSO series was going to be made?
meh i guess that they will make one.
although i dont care for a series ill still say yes because i think there will be one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BoxyBrown on 2006-09-03 22:09 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 4, 2006, 12:17 AM
I'd like to see an animated series on Gurhal TV, something like the Exaggerated Adventures of Ethan Waber, or maybe Magashi's Bungling Lab Mice. I mean, we'd be watching the program on our own TVs but there could be all sorts of merchandise manufactured and bought within Gurhal's malls, and NPCs could be talking about it.
"Wow, I finally have a use for my TV other than watching the News!"
"This show is great! Now if only the Gurhal Cartoon Network would make other cartoons!"

Nekomimi
Sep 4, 2006, 12:18 AM
I'd like to say no, because eventually CN would pick it up and it would get butchered by 4kids or something, but, any publicity is good publicity and I want more PS games.

RoninJoku
Sep 4, 2006, 12:20 AM
Well, I might as well be the hater and say hell no! Simply because I don't think an anime series could do justice to the franchise... I suppose it could if it was high enough budget... But it probably wouldn't be... Also, I hated Advent Children and the FF series http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

JAR
Sep 4, 2006, 12:20 AM
I would like to see PSU animated series, but preferably an old school anime version any/all of the Phantasy Star 1 to 4 installments would really be top drawer!!!

Naes_Siwel
Sep 4, 2006, 12:21 AM
haha I had this in mind the other day while talking with a friend. Instead of making it based on the offline story, make it a side story of some sort based on Network mode. Of course cameos would be made by characters in the offline mode story.

He called it Phantasy Star Universe: SA (Side Arc) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Come to think of it, They could make some sort of Prelude to Illumines as well though an animated series...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Naes_Siwel on 2006-09-03 22:23 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 4, 2006, 12:22 AM
The cutscenes gave you that idea? It started feeling all "anime" to me when every chapter starts and ends with an OP and ED. o_o

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 4, 2006, 12:22 AM
Remember, a high budget does not guarantee that it won't suck.
Just look at certain Spirits from Within...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-09-03 22:22 ]</font>

zandra117
Sep 4, 2006, 12:28 AM
Xenosaga did it, why can't PSU. http://youtube.com/watch?v=XRIiuBc7wtc

vitius137
Sep 4, 2006, 12:30 AM
On 2006-09-03 22:18, Nekomimi wrote:
it would get butchered by 4kids or something

qft

zandra117
Sep 4, 2006, 12:37 AM
On 2006-09-03 22:30, vitius137 wrote:

On 2006-09-03 22:18, Nekomimi wrote:
it would get butchered by 4kids or something

qft

It would probably never come to the US. Xenosaga the animation never did.

A2K
Sep 4, 2006, 01:40 AM
Disgaea's animation, however, is. Apparently Geneon licensed it.

Fortunately for anime fans in general, it seems that 4Kids is moving away from anime licensing for now.

It's pretty safe to assume that if it's made and comes here via anyone else, it'll be uncut--at least on DVD. I don't think we'll ever see it on TV, therefore there's no real reason to edit it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-03 23:43 ]</font>

Pacpunk
Sep 4, 2006, 01:43 AM
yes and no

UniKoRn
Sep 4, 2006, 03:12 AM
Anime of Phantasy Star Online/Universe would be a dream come true for me!

tank1
Sep 4, 2006, 04:29 AM
I think aslong as its done right and 4kids and that lot dont get there hands on it. It could be a good show.

kassy
Sep 4, 2006, 05:06 AM
Keep the 3D CG animation to the big-budget movies, budgets for debuting animated series usually aren’t large enough to do it well at all http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Nilot
Sep 4, 2006, 09:34 AM
Well theyre more than capable of doing it, after seeing the EP 3 cutscenes (not like I ever got many anyway) prolly would get trashed by cartoon network and such though, I agree *Puts flowers by Naruto's grave* >_>

Skye-Fox713
Sep 4, 2006, 11:45 AM
it would be interesting enoughf that i would buy the series dvd set when it came out, but the chanses of an animated seires for pso/psu would be very slim to none. but would be very interesting indeed

how good were the pso EP3 cut seens any way. I should probably jet the game just for kicks cause i never gave it a chanse because of the "cards", and i didn't know about the cut seens. I should have gave it a chanse cause it is a phantasy star game after all.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skye-Fox713 on 2006-09-04 09:50 ]</font>

Asim
Sep 4, 2006, 11:57 AM
All anime is terrible, guys.

Flamingo99
Sep 4, 2006, 11:57 AM
I would hate it if they make an animated series it would be lke playing a pokemon, yugi oh, or nataru (sp?) game. they will probably start to make quests based off the show and all that trash. there would be hundreds of (insert animated character name here) running around. most of them would probably be 8 years old too (not that its a bad thing, but if you played halo 2, those kids normally don't have a clue what they are doing). everything would seem very unoriginal. i think it would kill the game.

JasonWFD
Sep 4, 2006, 11:59 AM
An animated series is highly unlikely. I believe our best bet is to wait and see if any talented people out there in the Intarwebs use PSU to make some entertaining machinima with it.

Red vs. Blue, I believe, really set the precedent for that sort of thing, and you can find tons of good WoW videos out there. Considering the character creation abilities of this game, there are a lot of possibilities here, just waiting for the right people to invent the next Caboose or Leeroy Jenkins.

Zeig123
Sep 4, 2006, 12:09 PM
On 2006-09-04 09:59, JasonWFD wrote:
An animated series is highly unlikely. I believe our best bet is to wait and see if any talented people out there in the Intarwebs use PSU to make some entertaining machinima with it.

Red vs. Blue, I believe, really set the precedent for that sort of thing, and you can find tons of good WoW videos out there. Considering the character creation abilities of this game, there are a lot of possibilities here, just waiting for the right people to invent the next Caboose or Leeroy Jenkins.

yah Leeroy Jenkins

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 12:38 PM
who would rather watch an anime of this than playing this game online???? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

it's really the game itself that makes itself popular.

anime is non-interactive and so linear and limited in comparison.

Eternal255
Sep 4, 2006, 12:40 PM
thatll kill the game imo
a lot of animated shows are pretty emo, and kill a lot of things, and usually end up making anything related to the show retarded too

EtherForce
Sep 4, 2006, 12:41 PM
I'd like to see an original anime/cg series/movie which was not based on any of the games.

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 12:44 PM
an anime series, even original story, would give Phantasy Star a bad name.

just like that Donkey Kong show back then. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

A2K
Sep 4, 2006, 03:43 PM
But the way PSU's story mode is set up it seems like they could just adapt the game straight-up without any trouble. I doubt an animated series would have anything but a positive effect on the series' standing in general, unless of course it just wasn't true to the general spirit of the series at all.

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:46 PM
its sad cartoons are ruining children's minds these days.

the stuff on TV now is horrible and recycled concepts. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

DizzyDi
Sep 4, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2006-09-04 09:57, Asim wrote:
All anime is terrible, guys.

LOL!

QFT, except I wil say that MOST anime is terrible.

QuadTail
Sep 4, 2006, 05:09 PM
It all depends on if ST can make it without intervenience from others, which could ruin PSU's image, and just add another sucky TV-show that's just embarrasing.

It could work, and I'd much like it, as long as ST gets to do it without some other people wanting to to this and that with the script or whatever.

Um... So, in short. Provided the quality is good enough: Yes.

Naes_Siwel
Sep 4, 2006, 05:14 PM
Agreed with the quality and Licensing(sp?) comments. I mean they did go though with Sonic X (yes I realise its something completly different from what were talking about but I thought it would be a good example of another ST franchise that was turned into an anime series) and it was good for a few epdisodes, then it got to a point where it turned rediculous to the point where it became unwatchable imo. So as long as they don't turn the wrong route, then a animation of PSU just might be possible.

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 4, 2006, 05:33 PM
On 2006-09-04 13:43, A2K wrote:
But the way PSU's story mode is set up it seems like they could just adapt the game straight-up without any trouble. I doubt an animated series would have anything but a positive effect on the series' standing in general, unless of course it just wasn't true to the general spirit of the series at all.

Yeah, if you want to be optimistic and contrary.

A2K
Sep 4, 2006, 05:41 PM
Elaborate, please. One sentence dismissals tell so little aside from, "I disagree."

Blackwaltz-R
Sep 4, 2006, 05:54 PM
How was I not clear? you made an optimistic statement based on nothing lol

"I doubt an animated series would have anything but a positive effect on the series' standing in general"

What is the basis of this statement? Being a PS fan? Flawless logic.

phunk
Sep 4, 2006, 05:59 PM
Anime, no thanks.

If its CG then I'd give it a look.

p.s. Advent Children was just eye candy, the movie was horrible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-04 16:04 ]</font>

Nilot
Sep 4, 2006, 06:39 PM
On 2006-09-04 10:40, Eternal255 wrote:
thatll kill the game imo
a lot of animated shows are pretty emo, and kill a lot of things, and usually end up making anything related to the show retarded too

zomgz if animated shows were emo they'd have pikachu slitting his wrists and stuff!! *cry* Scyther use fury swipes on self! ;-;

Kazzi
Sep 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
Yes it could be like the Tales of Symphonia anime and take 4 years to be released only to be turned into an OVA instead!

Seriously though, It doesnt really need an anime. If they choose to make one it'd be nice but most anime to games and vice versa tend to suck.

Skye-Fox713
Sep 4, 2006, 09:30 PM
It would be nice if sonic team made a nicly done animated movie like for say from the PSU story line and used the CG cut seens for parts of the movie and filled in the gaps when the players would be playing the game and such and that might make an ok movie. After they up the rendering, phisics, animation, and ect to the level of Avent Children or have it done in a traditional 2D animation style. Then it might actualy be an ok movie. Or they could do a prolonging of events like DBZ and turn it in to an 2d animated sieries. Also note that I think that they would have a better sucess using a preset story line like PSU or PS 1-4 wich all have a actual story line that could be followed.

Kuzzle
Sep 4, 2006, 09:47 PM
Well, that reminds me of .hack//(sp?). Which is to say; It could be good, or it could be ridiculous kiddy crap. All depends on how they want to set it up. If they wanted to make a good series, they could, but they'd just have to aim a little higher in terms of their target audience.

If they did make a series, it'd be cool if they based it on the online modes, and occasionally included actual player characters in as background people every now and then. That'd be friggen' sweet!...

Oh, and I like the look of anime. Yeah, a lot of what we get over here is retarded kiddy crap, and those annoying, high pitched voices that they sometimes toss in piss me off, but the general style looks good. I'm not a big fan of CGI, because in a couple years, it'll look out-dated. Plus, it would cost a ton more, and the series likely wouldn't last as long, because it might not be able to justify that kind of budget.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

Tystys
Sep 4, 2006, 10:16 PM
I would love to see them make an animated series about PSU IF they based it in the Online version.

I'd love to see them make a comedy anime using the online mode. It'd be inside joke central! XD

Inu_Shadi
Sep 4, 2006, 10:22 PM
gaaaaah if 4kids got their hands on a PSU anime series that would ruin the games too!!! All Sonic games have 4kids voices because Sonicteam let 4kids get their hands on SonicX, then they fired the original voice actors and now 4kids does all voices related to Sonic.

Ryudo
Sep 4, 2006, 11:35 PM
Ragnarok Online had an anime, and even though it was somewhat iffy (13 terrible episodes 13 great episodes) it had nothing but a positive effect for the popularity of the game.

Sexy_Raine
Sep 5, 2006, 01:58 PM
Oh God, I hope not.

vitius137
Sep 5, 2006, 02:51 PM
On 2006-09-04 20:22, Inu_Shadi wrote:
gaaaaah if 4kids got their hands on a PSU anime series that would ruin the games too!!! All Sonic games have 4kids voices because Sonicteam let 4kids get their hands on SonicX, then they fired the original voice actors and now 4kids does all voices related to Sonic.

which is why is not buying any more sonic games... ever. (Actually its because I don't want Sonic Wildfire and I'm not getting a 360 or ps3)