PDA

View Full Version : Online

Kindaichi
Sep 4, 2006, 01:55 PM
Does psu have alot more content online then pso?

Ether
Sep 4, 2006, 01:59 PM
Technically right now, it doesn't. Theres only 6 different looking areas, and 3 bosses. Once they feel like unlocking everything it'll be much larger

Kindaichi
Sep 4, 2006, 02:15 PM
Ah, that sucks. Hopefully they will release alittle after the NA release. Will it cost money for like the expansions do you think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kindaichi on 2006-09-04 12:35 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 4, 2006, 02:56 PM
At this point, it just seems they'll update the servers every few weeks to give us something new.

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 02:58 PM
hmmm that is clever..... I still think it's more satisfying drinking a glass of lemonade all in one gulp than in tiny sips.

but if that's their plan to unseal new stuff every few weeks, then that's a nice stragety too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

tank1
Sep 4, 2006, 03:11 PM
I dunno just seems inconvenient to me

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
ya in a way they should of at least made Moatoob available from the start.

but storywise I think you need a license to go to specific planets, and I think Guardians that start out must have some time before they get that license automatically when they finally unseal Moatoob and stuff.

Kindaichi
Sep 4, 2006, 03:32 PM
Could it be that they have a low lvl cap and little content beause they dont want jp to get to far ahead of NA?

DarkShadowX
Sep 4, 2006, 03:34 PM
I doubt that was it at first, but with the problems that they had with the servers recently, I think JP won't be that far, if far at all, of NA now.

Cross
Sep 4, 2006, 03:37 PM
Personally I think it's because they're being assholes and want to force you to play for months before you can have even as much content as the (relatively short) offline mode.

Either they've got something goddamned spectacular for the online story (no, not an online mission with story characters who talk a little, but something that's seriously new and hasn't been seen before in an online game), or they don't think that their game is good enough to keep people playing for a long period of time unless they dole it out so slowly that players have to play for months because it's getting unlocked more slowly than they get bored of it.

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:37 PM
they are resetting everything October 1st, but Japan will still be ahead of US since US gets it later in October.

not that it matters since these regions are unlinked servers anyway.

watashiwa
Sep 4, 2006, 03:42 PM
On 2006-09-04 13:37, Saner wrote:
they are resetting everything October 1st, but Japan will still be ahead of US since US gets it later in October.

Now hold on a second, they never said ANYTHING about resetting ANYTHING on October 1st. All they said was official service would start October 1st.

Don't give anyone the wrong idea here..

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:43 PM
even as slowly as they unseal more stuff , people won't get bored because the new stuff that keeps on coming and the stuff they currently have to do and buy and find and stuff.

plus the new stuff means it gets better and better over time.

so if you look at it from a long term payment perspective for too slow updates, just hold off on buying the game for like a year, then jump in and join us. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Now hold on a second, they never said ANYTHING about resetting ANYTHING on October 1st. All they said was official service would start October 1st.

Don't give anyone the wrong idea here..

huh then what does Rollback mean?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-09-04 13:44 ]</font>

DarkShadowX
Sep 4, 2006, 03:47 PM
The rollback is being done now, however once the servers are back up between then and Oct.1 if they see a problem that requires another rollback they will rollback again.

watashiwa
Sep 4, 2006, 03:48 PM
On 2006-09-04 13:43, Saner wrote:
huh then what does Rollback mean?

They never stated they'd roll anybody back on October 1st either.

What they've stated is that during September, they would roll back everybody IF NECCESSARY should complications arise during that month. Rollbacks would occur whenever needed but they don't foresee any future rollbacks being neccessary besides the initial one that is going to happen on the 6th.

What a rollback is, is just rolling everybody's data back to a point before an anomoly occured. For example, if on Tuesday you were level 15 and you obtained level 20 on Wednesday and they scheduled a rollback to occur on Thursday to roll everybody back to Tuesday.. you'd be level 15 again. It's like Windows XP's System Restore.. a snapshot of the network and data in a state.. rolled back or restored to that state.

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:50 PM
oh what about body swapped characters?

did players have to remake their character and delete the other one?

watashiwa
Sep 4, 2006, 03:52 PM
Don't know about that.. apparently they're going to rollback to a point before all that occured.. I s'pose if it doesn't address a particular character's problem in time, you could contact them if you know Japanese, but you're most likely out of luck either way.. and would be forced to just recreate. It's not like we've all been playing for weeks on end.. so it's not that bad. It's only been a couple of days.

Nuclearranger
Sep 4, 2006, 03:55 PM
Thats not nice to say. As someone said sometime "This is segas labor of love" to them this game is alot to alot of JP players obiously this game is alot. If you have played Phantasy star since 1989 This game is alot. Just because you dont this it is "good enough to keep people playing for a long period" Other people do.

People on thease boards will be plaing this game for litarly years to come so a couple of months is nothing....

Saner
Sep 4, 2006, 03:55 PM
that's kind of interesting that the IGN previewer even experienced body swapping. funniest article ever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

but at the sametime it's a serious problem if it stays that way. but they'll fix it.

Tankster
Sep 4, 2006, 04:05 PM
On 2006-09-04 13:37, Cross wrote:
Personally I think it's because they're being assholes and want to force you to play for months before you can have even as much content as the (relatively short) offline mode.

Either they've got something goddamned spectacular for the online story (no, not an online mission with story characters who talk a little, but something that's seriously new and hasn't been seen before in an online game), or they don't think that their game is good enough to keep people playing for a long period of time unless they dole it out so slowly that players have to play for months because it's getting unlocked more slowly than they get bored of it.

calm down. think about what you said. then evaluate. Now, try and realize that your post was nothing but spam.

MoonSblaise
Sep 4, 2006, 04:08 PM
Quote: "calm down. think about what you said. then evaluate. Now, try and realize that your post was nothing but spam"

Heck if i did that, i wouldn't be posting at all ^_^ Let people speak their minds and b-i-t-c-h away, gives people like me something to laugh at http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cross
Sep 4, 2006, 04:24 PM
On 2006-09-04 14:05, Tankster wrote:
calm down. think about what you said. then evaluate. Now, try and realize that your post was nothing but spam.

Emphasis mine.
You shouldn't use words unless you understand them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-09-04 14:31 ]</font>

Kyuu
Sep 4, 2006, 04:36 PM
I'd have to agree with Tankster on this one. Cross obviously has zero clue what he's talking about.

watashiwa
Sep 4, 2006, 04:39 PM
Why does Cross have no clue what he's talking about?

Cross has an opinion. His opinion might be that of the popular one, but it's still his opinion nonetheless. Everybody's entitled to one and just because his opinion isn't the popular one, doesn't neccessarily make anything he's saying or what others believe to automatically be made fact.

Who knows? It would be highly hilarious if what Cross says in his opinion turns out TO BE fact. But no one really knows what's in store for PSU online except Sonic Team.. so don't go spouting off about how Cross doesn't know anything.. or that Cross' posts are spam.. just because you simply don't agree with what he's posted.

None of you people know anymore than him.. so you can't prove or disprove what he is saying. All you can do is insult and say "WTF!? STFU, CROSS, YOU NOOB." which, actually, just makes you look worse.

Kyuu
Sep 4, 2006, 04:41 PM
On 2006-09-04 14:39, watashiwa wrote:

Blah blah blah...
Mmkay... and I'm perfectly entitled to think what I do of his opinion. It obviously hasn't occurred to him that Sega has perfectly good reasons for only releasing a little bit of content at a time. Like, for example, how bad do you think the problems might have been if they had released absolutely everything in one fell swoop? And, yes, Sega might want to draw things out just a little bit because, *gasp*, they're a company. (Companies exist to make a profit, in case you didn't realize.)

But no. Obviously, Sega is filled with asshole employees whose sole purpose in life is to do whatever they can to torture people whose online forum names begin with C (sorry Coolcat =P). Either that, or they're stupid. Obviously.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-04 15:01 ]</font>

watashiwa
Sep 4, 2006, 04:45 PM
Just you posting what you just posted makes YOU look like retard, because I never said you aren't entitled to thinking what he posts is retarded. I said that everybody is entitled to their opinion about PSU and what's to come from it... of course you're also entitled to an opinion about Cross and what he posts. However, for you to just shrug off anything anybody says regarding their opinions of things or how they perceive something to be going down makes you look like more of an asshole or a retard than him.. simply because you can't acknowlege or respect somebody else's thoughts.

All you see or acknowledge is what YOU think about.. how YOU perceive stuff.. that your's and only your opinion is a valid one.. which is actually quite sad. People who aren't capable of stepping into other peoples' shoes and seeing things from a different perspective are the type of people that fail at life.

Cross hasn't been completely negative, though, he loves the game and can't wait for the server to come back up.. he just has his doubts about the online content. When Sega does reveal what they have for online.. I'm sure he'll either be happy or he'll just be confirmed in his opinion.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-04 14:46 ]</font>

Kyuu
Sep 4, 2006, 04:52 PM
Whee, in circles we go.

Okay, so Cross is entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion that his opinion is retarded. So what are we arguing about?

And here, let me finish the rest of our posts:

You: No U.
Me: No U.
You: No U.
Me: No, U.
Mod: Locked because you're both retarded.

There, now the thread can resume its normal course without getting locked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-04 14:57 ]</font>

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 4, 2006, 05:02 PM
if they're releasing stuff little by little, then I think it would help with the playability of this game, if you rush through and get everything in one shot, then it just gets repetitive and boring after a while.

Kyuu
Sep 4, 2006, 05:08 PM
I agree... if you're determined to rush through and power level to the cap... then it seems like you're determined to limit your own playing experience anyway. There are plenty of established MMOs out where you can do just that if you like. I say let PSU develop at its own pace. If they keep the level 50 cap and the small number of areas for a long time, then that'd be different. But for now, it's more than sufficient. Especially seeing as how they need to concentrate on getting the servers stable. All the content in the world isn't going to do you much good if the servers are down all the time (and body swapping when they are up).

Sev
Sep 4, 2006, 05:12 PM
Apparently, people love to rush through things, skipping over at least half of it just so they can say they were the first to be so and so level or the first to do this and that. As somoene who doesn't do anything like that, I don't see a cap being a problem... Especially when they've already stated that Online has more content then Offline. It's not like they're going to lie to their customers and think they'll get away with it... Especially the ones in Japan.

Crispin
Sep 4, 2006, 06:20 PM
Oh my, someone seems to be calling me out. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

On 2006-09-04 14:52, Kyuu wrote:
Okay, so Cross is entitled to his opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion that his opinion is retarded. So what are we arguing about?

Perhaps you could elaborate on why you think Cross' opinion isn't valid? You're very much entitled to disagree with it by calling it stupid or retarded or whatnot, but I don't see how that simply makes it spam. If anything, simply throwing names around with no further elaboration serves no purpose to further the discussion.

On 2006-09-04 14:41, Kyuu wrote:
Mmkay... and I'm perfectly entitled to think what I do of his opinion. It obviously hasn't occurred to him that Sega has perfectly good reasons for only releasing a little bit of content at a time. Like, for example, how bad do you think the problems might have been if they had released absolutely everything in one fell swoop? And, yes, Sega might want to draw things out just a little bit because, *gasp*, they're a company. (Companies exist to make a profit, in case you didn't realize.)

But no. Obviously, Sega is filled with asshole employees whose sole purpose in life is to do whatever they can to torture people whose online forum names begin with C (sorry Coolcat =P). Either that, or they're stupid. Obviously.

The online problems thing doesn't really mean anything; developers are expected to do such things as stress testing for the express purpose of ensuring that such problems don't happen in the first place. Besides, I don't see how having more content would make the servers fail more catastrophically or whatever you're implying.

The disagreement about the content distribution method comes from where the content comes from. This isn't new content being created by the developers at all - it's content that we've already paid for that's just slowly unlocked. Maybe it's not your style, but some people would like to dash through the game, finish it and move on to some other game. Right now you're really just paying $60 upfront for the offline portion, and $10 installments for parts of the online game if you commit the heinous crime of purchasing the game at launch.

It's really just another artificial way to increase playtime in order to get the fees rolling in, except it's even more transparent than The Grind. Say you finish all of the currently available content in 20 hours or so, so you don't have anything else to do but repeat it over and over or stop until the next "update". It's a cheap way of trying to make your game feel long and epic, when it really could have been finished in maybe a week of play.

On 2006-09-04 14:41, Kyuu wrote:
And, yes, Sega might want to draw things out just a little bit because, *gasp*, they're a company. (Companies exist to make a profit, in case you didn't realize.)

That still doesn't mean that we can't disagree with the way they do thing. They aren't free from criticism, and people are allowed to believe that the way they do things can be much improved. Unfortunately, the general atmosphere here seems to be "SEGA Can Do No Wrong!" so anyone with a dissenting opinion seems to get jumped on without any decent elaboration or explanation to their arguments (Or attacks, as it seems).