PDA

View Full Version : So how fun is this game?

Marks
Sep 5, 2006, 10:05 PM
I have 3500+ hours in world of warcraft and WoW is getting really boring, while I was always a big fan of PSO since dreamcast. I tried PSO again in the form of blue burst but it just isn't fun after I already made so many characters and pretty much did everything in the game. So is this game entertaining? Is it a big world? Is the combat fun? The 3 hit combos of PSO got really old...

I know there are millions of previews about everything in PSU, but I am just looking for a personal opinion. I was very happy to quit ffxi for WoW, do you think I will be happy to quit WoW for psu?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marks on 2006-09-05 20:18 ]</font>

Pengfishh
Sep 5, 2006, 10:36 PM
Super fun.

Number6
Sep 5, 2006, 10:38 PM
If you liked PSO even a little, you'll love it. WOWOWOWO! Wheee!

Dre_o
Sep 5, 2006, 10:39 PM
In my opinion, you should've quit WoW LONG ago and just waited for PSU, waiting is more entertaining that WoW by a long shot.

Anyways, this game makes WoW look like kindergarden play, oh wait! IT IS.

(No offense to OP )

Kindaichi
Sep 5, 2006, 10:40 PM
Depends, i mean it cant be compared to wow in any way...wow has loads more content and same with ffxi. I'm quiting ffxi for it because i;m just done so ill be playing psu and guild wars i guess.

Blueblur
Sep 5, 2006, 10:42 PM
Have you played WoW? Chances are that it certainly does have more content. Gigs of more content.

Dre_o
Sep 5, 2006, 10:42 PM
On 2006-09-05 20:40, Kindaichi wrote:
Depends, i mean it cant be compared to wow in any way...wow has loads more content and same with ffxi. I'm quiting ffxi for it because i;m just done so ill be playing psu and guild wars i guess.

Quick question, but.....we haven't even seen the FULLLY RELEASED PSU yet (ie online unlocked areas, bosses, items, quests, clothes, accessories etc), and you say WoW has more content?....

(god I'm sounding stuck up tonight???)

-Crokar-
Sep 5, 2006, 10:43 PM
its as fun as a pair of pants full of geckos

Tetsuro
Sep 5, 2006, 10:52 PM
its as fun as a pair of pants full of geckos

Holy s*!t that sounds fun

A little more on topic: As someone who played PSO since its launch on DC I can tell you that if PSU is half as good as PSO was, then it will be better than WoW. (And yes I have played WoW)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tetsuro on 2006-09-05 20:58 ]</font>

Kirashi
Sep 5, 2006, 11:24 PM
I was a long term FFXI player (i imported 2 months after jp release) and quit 2004 and a long term WoW player (started a early beta) and quit not long ago, 2 months maybe? I have to say this game is no where near the content of those, but it doesn't mean it can't be fun, especially casual. I am no longer a lazy college student, I work long hours now. So I think PSU is a good match for me. I finished the story mode already, I'll try to play a bit online mode on the jp version since we get untill nov free (hopefully NA version will come out by then, even though I am fluent in japanese, it still doesn't come as natual as english).
Dre_o, i have seen you saying on many posts on how much they can release content for this game. However I wonder what can they do on the ps2 version if they don't support harddrive. PS2 version is a single layer dvd with not all it's space used, it's about 4.3 gig of data on the disc. It's kinda set. With data taken out that's used for online only, such as voice acting, cut scene, the space goes down a bit more. i don't think we should argue about how much content is there in this game. It's not as much as FFXI or WOW, but I can garentee that the battle system is really fun and active. For once I enjoy playing hunter (warrior type) and ranger (archer type).

Deprimenthia
Sep 5, 2006, 11:30 PM
Well. He also means missions, Kirashi. They can put a lot more missions, events, etc. etc.

But obviously the content is not gonna be as much. PSO is more of an overall experience than just a game for me. Id rather sit in the lobby of PSU than play WoW http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kirashi
Sep 5, 2006, 11:40 PM
How "good" it is, that is really a personal opinion. Not saying PSU is bad, because I honestly had a lot of fun in the story mode and am planning on having fun online. However I just felt that calling wow or ffxi "bad" just because you didn't like it or if it wasn't your thing a justified statement. I believe the way they are going to update PSU on ps2 is through the memory card? And how big is the memory card? 8mb, (if there's a bigger version, someone please correct me). However even with a big memory card, the content update can have no way matching a hard drive using game. My argument was against content, I believe his was also.
"we haven't even seen the FULLLY RELEASED PSU yet (ie online unlocked areas, bosses, items, quests, clothes, accessories etc)"
I believe the we have seen at least 50% of the stuff in offline mode already. Even if the online mode can expand twice as much as the offline mode content wise. It is still shy from FFXI/WOW by a few miles, long miles.

SpikeWT1
Sep 5, 2006, 11:48 PM
On 2006-09-05 21:24, Kirashi wrote:
I was a long term FFXI player (i imported 2 months after jp release) and quit 2004 and a long term WoW player (started a early beta) and quit not long ago, 2 months maybe? I have to say this game is no where near the content of those, but it doesn't mean it can't be fun, especially casual. I am no longer a lazy college student, I work long hours now. So I think PSU is a good match for me. I finished the story mode already, I'll try to play a bit online mode on the jp version since we get untill nov free (hopefully NA version will come out by then, even though I am fluent in japanese, it still doesn't come as natual as english).
Dre_o, i have seen you saying on many posts on how much they can release content for this game. However I wonder what can they do on the ps2 version if they don't support harddrive. PS2 version is a single layer dvd with not all it's space used, it's about 4.3 gig of data on the disc. It's kinda set. With data taken out that's used for online only, such as voice acting, cut scene, the space goes down a bit more. i don't think we should argue about how much content is there in this game. It's not as much as FFXI or WOW, but I can garentee that the battle system is really fun and active. For once I enjoy playing hunter (warrior type) and ranger (archer type).

I thought psu was a dual-layer disc on ps2 and pc.

Kirashi
Sep 5, 2006, 11:56 PM
PC it is, single layer on ps2. There really arent many PS2 games DL now days, some prefer releasing in 2 SL discs because the legacy problem of some ps2 with DL discs.

Marks
Sep 6, 2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah I don't expect PSU to have anywhere close to the content of ffxi or wow, but I hope it's fun to keep playing. I'm glad the combat is decent, at least you can have fun killing monsters. Killing monsters in ffxi is a nightmare and in WoW it gets boring fast. After about level 30, killing monsters is called grinding, which is a synonym for irritating and boring, for good reason. I guess there won't be any 40 people parties killing raid bosses, but it's probably for the best. An action rpg that you can play online with yours friends and that is always evolving does sound funner than wow or ffxi.

Killuminati
Sep 6, 2006, 12:38 AM
On 2006-09-05 20:05, Marks wrote:
I have 3500+ hours in world of warcraft and WoW is getting really boring, while I was always a big fan of PSO since dreamcast. I tried PSO again in the form of blue burst but it just isn't fun after I already made so many characters and pretty much did everything in the game. So is this game entertaining? Is it a big world? Is the combat fun? The 3 hit combos of PSO got really old...

I know there are millions of previews about everything in PSU, but I am just looking for a personal opinion. I was very happy to quit ffxi for WoW, do you think I will be happy to quit WoW for psu?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marks on 2006-09-05 20:18 ]</font>

3500+ hours? Jesus christ, I played ffxi for almost 2 years and only clocked in 120 hours and I use to play at the least 6 hours a day.

Marks
Sep 6, 2006, 01:19 AM
Uhh 120 hours at 6 hours a day is only 20 days... not 2 years. 6 hours a day for 2 years is around 4400 hours.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Marks on 2006-09-05 23:22 ]</font>

Kirashi
Sep 6, 2006, 01:27 AM
Heh... i remember i never logged out in ffxi... i had over 500 days playtime.....
Ya... those days of haijin was horrid

KylePhoenix
Sep 7, 2006, 11:49 AM
ill be playing psu and guild wars i guess.

Ultimate Super Legendary Fail.

tank1
Sep 7, 2006, 11:56 AM
Now now thats not nice.

Ryoga4523
Sep 7, 2006, 12:18 PM
I have played both FFXI and WOW... To be honest I thought it was rediculous that I had to team up with ppl after level 10 or so in FF, so I switched to games like CoH and CoV... It was fun for a while and then just got boring. WOW was good for a little, but then as I approached level 50+ it turned into the whol 40 person 5 hour raid. I wanted the good weapons and armor, but I found it equally rediculous that I could not go get the REALLY good stuff on my own. I would always tell my brother, " Why cant I just have a really powerful mag and go kill stuff on my own..." Back when I was playing PSO no one ever called going through ruins on Ult. grinding. I just did it to get some good weps. Sure WOW and FFXI have good guild structures and a TON of content (which btw I really doubt SEGA can have, I have like 5.5 Gigs of WOW on my PC), PSO was teh MMO that brought into online RPG's, and nothing has been like it ever since...

Shadow_Wing
Sep 7, 2006, 01:04 PM
Well I'd have to say that PSU will definately be more fun, by the looks of it at least. Also take into consideration that Sega is also planning loads of content they haven't even begun to release so there is a lot of potential still.

Also updating might be a bit easier if they really truely are emulating most of the game via the servers and just using the disc for graphics and stuff, that opens up a lot of potential for content.

Nodachi
Sep 7, 2006, 01:30 PM
You played on Ragnarok didn't you Kirashi? And yeah I agree. XI and WoW content wise are more than likely, massive in comparrison to PSU. But that doesn't change how much fun you can get out of PSU. The three games mentioned arn't even apples and oranges for comparrison's sake, it's more like Trucks and Jet Skis lol. I view PSO/U as a much less hardcore game (for the better). One that doesn't require endless hours of play to achieve your goals and doesn't require set blocks of time to play it. Don't get me wrong, I love XI (still play it) and respect WoW, but it's gona be so nice to play a laid back game with my friends. One where I don't have to worry about end game drama or RMTers.

Nilot
Sep 7, 2006, 03:28 PM
Besides, FFXI and WOW can't really shake much against PSU's customization features, FFXI only let you choose from 8 different face types, everything was predone for you, at least this way theres more individuality, even if PSU has less content than the other two it still has enough potential to hold it's own against them. Also, I agree with Deprimenthia and Nodachi, that the experience itself is worth it, being able to relax without the drama will be a godsend too, afterall thats what games are for right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif relaxing and having fun while pummeling rappies