PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on PC or 360

jnblz316
Sep 5, 2006, 10:35 PM
I want to get the PC version but my pc is not the powerhouse it used to be and gives me problems running games as of late. I can't even install some games because the Rom drive just can't read the discs. Now I am leaning towards 360 because of the mic and the controls should be a really nice fit fot this game. Also the grahics should be top notch (not like the PS2 version http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

To anyone that has the PC import how does the PC controls hold up to the game? If the controls work then I might get it because of the bigger community. The thing that is holding back for the xbox version is that everyone will stop playing in less then a year just like PSO. I'm not asking you to tell me which version to get just give me some pro and cons that i forgot to mention and just give some feedback that's all.

Thanks

Kindaichi
Sep 5, 2006, 10:45 PM
This is just my opinon:
PC:
Cons- Because of system requirements you may not be able to enjoy your experience due to lag. The keyboard and mouse just ruins the whole pso feel for me. There "could" be chance of hackes

Pros- Graphics should be awesome. You would be joined with the ps2 community making it possibly a bigger one than 360.

Xbox:
Cons: Secluded community. $60 price instead of $50.

Pros- Because of the system xbox360 you have way less chance of any hacking. Voice communication. The graphics should be top notch. XBOX just rules imo lol.

Miphesto
Sep 5, 2006, 10:47 PM
360 will reign supreme...the population only grows larger

Kindaichi
Sep 5, 2006, 10:47 PM
On 2006-09-05 20:45, Kindaichi wrote:
This is just my opinon:
PC:
Cons- Because of system requirements you may not be able to enjoy your experience due to lag. The keyboard and mouse just ruins the whole pso feel for me. There "could" be chance of hackes

Pros- Graphics should be awesome. You would be joined with the ps2 community making it possibly a bigger one than 360.

Xbox:
Cons: Secluded community. $60 price instead of $50.

Pros- You should experience little to no lag. Because of the system xbox360 you have way less chance of any hacking. Voice communication. The graphics should be top notch. XBOX just rules imo lol.

Chaobo99
Sep 5, 2006, 10:52 PM
Xbox 360 will be the best on my opinion. Most online games for Xbox start small but they groqw bigger. Man! Why do we have to be isolated from PS2 players. I don't like the voice chat.. I'll be using keyboard the whole way. I mean the voice chat ruins the FEEL of PSO.

Deprimenthia
Sep 5, 2006, 10:56 PM
"I mean the voice chat ruins the FEEL of PSO. "

Exactly. I would love to get the 360 version if it wasnt isolated and didnt have people screaming into the mics. But I might be stuck with the PS2 version. Oh well.

Ryoga4523
Sep 5, 2006, 11:03 PM
Hmmm... De Jevu anyone... if you look at the community base (not the immediate base either) pso:bb is still somewhat strong on the PC, and apparently there are ppl still playing the GC version. The Xbox version was dead when I got it like a couple months after the game came out. I was ignored or yelled at pretty much in every room I joined. Xbox players just have a different mindset than PC and PS2 players, each system draws a different crowd i guess.

Tetsuro
Sep 5, 2006, 11:03 PM
I personally will go PC only because I have a few freinds in real life who will be as well. I will however get the 360 version if sega decides to link all the servers, mainly for the controller and the ability to sit on the couch as I play.

phunk
Sep 5, 2006, 11:06 PM
How does it ruin the "feel"?

I think it'll actually do the game some justice since the battle system is enhanced. On FFXI, as well as other MMOs, my guilds use voice chat to set tactics when fighting bosses or other events.

If you don't want to hear someone talk, plug out your mic http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

I just don't get how it'll "ruin the FEEL of PSO."

Deprimenthia
Sep 5, 2006, 11:25 PM
I dont want to hear the voices of tons of screaming idiots. And if I dont liste, I may not be getting information I need. I want to listen to the music, and look at the scenery, not be overwhelmed by immature crazy people. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

JAFO22000
Sep 5, 2006, 11:35 PM
IF you don't want to hear the annoying people just MUTE them.

The ONLY reason I gave up on PSO for xbox was the duping/cheating. Being that this will be difficult, if not impossible to do this time around (saved on their servers) I will definitely play for a longer time. 360 will be the first version to "die" however, imo. There will be a glut of players at first just going for the acheivement points (which will HOPEFULL Y be all offline tasks) or because there is nothing else to play. Once the next shiny thing comes along, the will run to that (read: Halo3).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JAFO22000 on 2006-09-05 21:36 ]</font>

Kindaichi
Sep 6, 2006, 12:16 AM
In psox there weren't a ton of screaming idiots there were alot of cool ppl and having a mic makes the game 10 times better imo.

Dynheart
Sep 6, 2006, 03:32 AM
Since they are holding characters server side, wouldn't it be easier for them to just link all the communities? Like PC can play with PS2, and PS2 can play with 360 players?

Is it not like this already? Or are the communities really split up...I hope not.(the only thing that may make me not purchase the game, considering I'll be buying it for online).

Clarify please.

Losodo1976
Sep 6, 2006, 03:39 AM
On 2006-09-06 01:32, Dynheart wrote:
Since they are holding characters server side, wouldn't it be easier for them to just link all the communities? Like PC can play with PS2, and PS2 can play with 360 players?

Is it not like this already? Or are the communities really split up...I hope not.(the only thing that may make me not purchase the game, considering I'll be buying it for online).

Clarify please.

For some reason they're isolating the 360 user base from the PC and PS2 userbase. Probably because most people will use voice chat on the 360.

I couldn't imagine using voice chat in this game. The speech bubbles were so key to the PSO experience, lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nodachi
Sep 6, 2006, 03:45 AM

Clarify please.

It is possible for the three to play together. It's already being done with Final Fantasy XI by Square-Enix. Choice is all up to Sonic Team and Microsoft's XBox department really. I'm thinking I read confirmation that they've decided to keep PC and PS2 together but 360 seperate but I can't say for sure.

The key difference if they do remain seperate is because 360 is choosing to keep voice chat standard for PSU play. In FFXI voice chat ins't standard, though you can invite others to a private chat and talk while playing.

Dynheart
Sep 6, 2006, 03:46 AM
On 2006-09-06 01:39, Losodo1976 wrote:

Clarify please.

For some reason they're isolating the 360 user base from the PC and PS2 userbase. Probably because most people will use voice chat on the 360.

I couldn't imagine using voice chat in this game. The speech bubbles were so key to the PSO experience, lol. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: NM. PC+PS2 playerbase = enough for me! I'm a happy camper.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dynheart on 2006-09-06 01:49 ]</font>

Nekomimi
Sep 6, 2006, 05:02 AM
Could have something to do with the rumored fact that the X360 version won't have a monthly fee.

parabolee
Sep 6, 2006, 12:25 PM
On 2006-09-05 21:03, Ryoga4523 wrote:
Hmmm... De Jevu anyone... if you look at the community base (not the immediate base either) pso:bb is still somewhat strong on the PC, and apparently there are ppl still playing the GC version. The Xbox version was dead when I got it like a couple months after the game came out. I was ignored or yelled at pretty much in every room I joined. Xbox players just have a different mindset than PC and PS2 players, each system draws a different crowd i guess.

This was not my experience at all. I found the PSO-X community to be a decent community. Sure it was smaller than the GC version but I was playing no more than 5 months ago and we still had around 500 people online!

Sure the idiots stand out more because of the MIC, but you can mute idividual people if you find them to be morons, and when you get a good group of buddies the convenience of voice chat makes going back to keyboard chat difficult. And I love keyboard chat, the humour is different and very enjoyable, I wouldn't say one is better than the other but they certainly don't spoil the game. In many ways it makes it better, especially in the heat of battle!

Valkayree
Sep 6, 2006, 12:38 PM
On 2006-09-05 20:35, jnblz316 wrote:

To anyone that has the PC import how does the PC controls hold up to the game? If the controls work then I might get it because of the bigger community. The thing that is holding back for the xbox version is that everyone will stop playing in less then a year just like PSO. I'm not asking you to tell me which version to get just give me some pro and cons that i forgot to mention and just give some feedback that's all.

Thanks

Don't kid yourself, the 360 community will be large. PSOX shrunk in size because you had to cheat to excel because everyone had a J-Sword. Characters were stored on the console, so when your XBOX cratered, as many would over the years (R.I.P XBOX 2002 ;_; ) bye bye characters, bye bye account. Characters are now server side, so 360 blows up, your characters aren't gone. As long as they charge a fee for the 360 version, they will support it. Not to mention the original was a port. The earliest anyone has this game (PSU) is August 31, so instead of the years that XBOX had to wait for a game that cycled through dreamcast and gamecube before coming to XBOX, now we get it two months later, and we get our own servers, so those two months really isn't enough time to even write a game guide. That means for the first time in history, an XBOX user can get an online rpg on the first day, hop on and automatically gain veteran status from that point forward. We can solve situations on our own, and actually sontribute to a drop chart or a game guide for once. We actually get the surprise of maybe getting a drop that no one else has seen. PC users and PS2 users have seen this for years (WoW, FFXI, etc.) and now we finally get our shot. Not to mention you get voice chat and thats damn cool. And whats the big deal about a "large community." This ain't an mmo. You get 6 people in a room, so really all you need is 6 ppl online at a time, and hell you can solo if ya want, no harm. This board had 20+ say they were getting it, so there, thats 3 teams ^_^. Plus if your computer is old you won't lock up as much on 360 (hopefully). If that's not enough to get you playing the 360 version, then I'll drop the mic and walk off, cause I can't see why anyone would choose anything else, other than to get the game first I guess. Maybe you guys just like typing. Typing while my hands are on a controller strikes me as a hassle. But then again, maybe it's just me.

tikigod13
Sep 6, 2006, 01:00 PM
Im getting PSU for PC scince i have a top notch computer. Also ill get an xbox 360 controller that works with the PC aswell. Then i use my keyboard to type aswell! But i hope PSU lets u use controllers >.> if not oh well i dont have a ps2 or an xbox 360.

parabolee
Sep 6, 2006, 01:49 PM
Well PSO Blue Burst worked really well with the 360 controller so PSU should work the same.

Saiffy
Sep 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
Considering how many people have a PC or a PS2, it's kinda safe to assume most people will be on the PC version.

Hell, I'm getting the PS2 version cause I don't have the cash to upgrade my computer yet(And I'
d rather buy a whole new one anyways, heh), and I know damn well the PC version, graphics wise, will be a lot better.

So, personal opinions aside? PSUX isn't gonna have no one, but it's obviously going to have less people.

Valkayree
Sep 6, 2006, 01:57 PM
So, personal opinions aside? PSUX isn't gonna have no one, but it's obviously going to have less people.

All I need is 6.

AppieDPC
Sep 6, 2006, 03:15 PM
Just thought of something that might (who am I kidding?! WILL) happen in the PC/PS2 community: cheats.
So in that way, if Xbox is alone (as in with no PC users) it might have a lot less trouble with cheats or at least for a longer period of time I'd think and be a better choice to play. Sure, you could hack a PS2 or 360 to get the same effect, but it's so much easier to do on PC. FFXI anyone?

If you don't care about cheats this won't change your decision, just thought I'd mention it in case you did care.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-09-06 13:18 ]</font>

Nodachi
Sep 6, 2006, 03:34 PM
The type of 'cheats' in XI though wouldn't even effect this type of game really. With the exception of maybe POS hacks. So long as people arn't able to A) Hack levels, B) Create or dupe items. C) Damage other's accounts. There's not much anyone could do to effect my game and how I play it. There's nothing in the game that requires you outclaiming others, well lol... maybe item boxes?

But you do have a good point. If cheating does happen/stay around (was handled swiftly this first sign of it for JP PSU), it will be more likely to happen on PC.

Sessilu
Sep 6, 2006, 04:07 PM
You know..If they isolated the voice chat and join the Xbox360 with all versions, I'm sure the community would be even larger then some expect.

Voice chat may be cool, but I still have the need to die while typing my last message, ah.. Good days XD

Valkayree
Sep 6, 2006, 04:11 PM
On 2006-09-06 13:15, AppieDPC wrote:
Just thought of something that might (who am I kidding?! WILL) happen in the PC/PS2 community: cheats.
So in that way, if Xbox is alone (as in with no PC users) it might have a lot less trouble with cheats or at least for a longer period of time I'd think and be a better choice to play. Sure, you could hack a PS2 or 360 to get the same effect, but it's so much easier to do on PC. FFXI anyone?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-09-06 13:18 ]</font>

Absolutely correct. Map Hacks, 3rd party software to create gil, all PC. What sickens me more is that having 3rd party software that gives you every map with ??? marks at every location written in, notorious monster spawn locations, etc all in game on the mapper program they have isn't considered by those that use it to be cheating, and Square Enix doesn't give a damn about it even though those players have an unfair advantage just because they have a PC and can download a Windower. Screw that, Microsoft doesn't play that bs on the 360. I'll stick with my box any day, at least I can play the game in my recliner, with a controller, and a voice chat headset. Imo, thats better any day than sitting upright in an uncomfortable desk with a mouse and keyboard typing trying to fight.

Sessilu
Sep 6, 2006, 04:15 PM
Or like Vallkayree said, wich was awesomly explained as to why you should get Xbox360 xD

Eclypse
Sep 6, 2006, 05:59 PM
Well a friend and I plan on playing the PC version until the X3 version comes out and then jumping ship similar to when the GC version of PSO was out and then the Xbox version hit.

Once you play PSO or PSU with voicechat, there is no other substitute. I mean sure you can use secondary programs to get voice, but it's nothing like having voice in XBL using no add-ons.

As all the previous people have stated, there are plenty of reasons that you should do one or the other, but as you said in the first place, if you don't think your PC can handle it, it's pretty much common sense as to which one you should buy. I personally couldn't see the logic behind ugrading your PC just to play a single game. Now if you plan on upgrading your PC just because it needs to be updated, that's another issue.

Folofle
Sep 6, 2006, 06:09 PM
On the 360 apperently there isn't going to be a fee. Here is somekind of proof read until you get to sega.Here is somekind of proof read until you get to sega. (http://orangeloungeradio.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=621)

Eclypse
Sep 6, 2006, 06:56 PM
If that news is indeed valid, that wouldn't surprise me seeing as they had a nice amount of people on the Xbox version of PSO, and NONE OF US appreciated that we were paying an Xbox Live fee and a Hunter's License fee.