PDA

View Full Version : Naruto, Hellsing Nominated for Quills Award

Ether
Sep 5, 2006, 11:01 PM
Naruto and Hellsing have been nominated (http://www.thequills.org/2006.html) for The Quills book award in the graphic novel category. The Quills is an "industry-qualified 'consumers choice' award" launched by Publishers Weekly parent Reed Business Information and NBC. Winners will be announced October 10 in New York City. You can vote (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13737567/) for each category on MSNBC.com. Thanks, Leah Cornish.

Polly
Sep 5, 2006, 11:04 PM
Le sign...definitally could have picked better choices, even in the American category. Of the nomintees Fun Home deserves the win in my opinion, and judging by the attention from the mainstream press it has gotten (which is probobly the quota for being nominated) it should win (Mom's Cancer could be a darkhorse though, as it is a landmark in webcomics and all-around exellent).

Ether
Sep 5, 2006, 11:06 PM
I see that you can also vote for the graphic novel nominees to be "Book of the Year" (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13737550/).

I wonder if Naruto fans are going to stuff that ballot box too and make Naruto "Book of the Year" (out of all books, not just Graphic Novels) and make the Quills Award lose whatever tiny shred of credibility in the publishing world that it might have had?

That would actually be kind of amusing.

Polly
Sep 5, 2006, 11:08 PM
Actually, I don't think many Naruto fans really care. Yesterday I was on the forums for one of the most famous Naruto websites in the world (I can't give out the URL because they provide fansubs, but most people already know which site I'm talking about) and I posted that everyone should vote for Naruto. Half the replies I got were from people who gave me answers like "sry dood, bt who cares? so what if it wins or not?" and "ill git 2 dat later. naruto isnt me hole lyf!" Now, I don't think these people can be used to represent the whole fanbase of Naruto, but I'm guessing that it represents a fair amount of them. But.... I do see Naruto winning over Hellsing. I'm pretty sure there are much more Naruto fans out there than Hellsing fans.

Ether
Sep 5, 2006, 11:09 PM
I voted for Naruto since it's is one of my favorite series, and I have yet to see Hellsing, so I don't know much about it. Hopefully one of the manga volumes will win in the graphic novel section... It's good that some manga was at least nominated. Hopefully more and more people will vote for one of the volumes. I'm guessing that me going on there and voting for Naruto everyday won't work, right?

Polly
Sep 5, 2006, 11:11 PM
Publisher's Weekly itself (the organization putting on The Quills) is quite respectable and credible in the publishing world. It's a trade magazine, which means that it's pretty much the diametric opposite of fanboy fodder; only serious book nerds and "industry insiders" give enough of a crap to read it (although that also breeds a shortsightedness of an entirely different flavor). In fact, the Publisher's Weekly Comics Weekly is a regular online feature that I'd say is required reading for anyone who follows the business side of comics and manga or, heck, just wants to be well-informed.

It's just that the way they've decided to structure The Quills hands it over to the teeming masses instead of, you know, people who would probably be well-qualified to make selections under each category -- like Heidi MacDonald and Calvin Reid Laughing. I mean, who's dumb enough to nominate a prose novel just because it's written by a comics guy and based on comic characters?

So it pays to be wary of "industry awards" in general. They all have slants depending on who runs them, who's on the nominating panel, who's on the judging panel, what Pokemon type they are, and whether Pluto is a planet or not. Hell, I even take the Kodanshas, the Shogakukans, and the Tezuka Cultural Prize with a grain of salt. They've all got some agenda. And the Eisners and Harveys are right out.

Dhylec
Sep 5, 2006, 11:13 PM
hm.. more naruto goodness?

naruto eh?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/dhylec/bump3.gif for great justice ;3

EJ
Sep 5, 2006, 11:16 PM
I perfer hellsing over naruto so no naruto goodness for joo DHY :3

Sinue_v2
Sep 5, 2006, 11:33 PM
I voted for Naruto since it's is one of my favorite series, and I have yet to see Hellsing, so I don't know much about it.

Too bad, because I think you'll change your mind once reading Hellsing.

Honestly, I can't really see how Naruto could win over Hellsing on a litterary level - the whole chapter 4-5 arc was an allusion to Wagner's opera Der Freischutz (The Magic Bullet Marksman) where Rip played the role of Kaspar, and Alucard the role of Zamiel. If you notice, she only fires six shots throughout the Manga. In the Opera, Kaspar and Max create seven magic bullets. The seventh shot which kills Kaspar and allows Zamiel to take him to hell is represented in the Manga with Alucard impailing rip through the heart with her own gun.

"If thou presemuth to flirt with spirits, thou shalt join them"

I don't think that Naruto has anything on that level. Not to mention all of the other references found throughout the series. Though truthfully, neither one of them are really qualified to win any litterary awards.

Bah... Naruto will win, because as has been said, the rabid fanboys will hump the ballot box into submission. It's the goddamned DragonBall Z of the new millenium.