PDA

View Full Version : PVP??

Miphesto
Sep 6, 2006, 09:30 PM
i'm currently being called an idiot in another post...and it's time to live up to the name...
i'm not sure if this subject is being covered...but i'll ask, cuz i dont know...

is it going to exist? pvp i mean...

Dhylec
Sep 6, 2006, 09:33 PM
As of now, no. There is no PVP in PSU. The creators didn't plan for that mode, at least for now.

Miphesto
Sep 6, 2006, 09:37 PM
what is a game w/o pvp...

Kers
Sep 6, 2006, 09:39 PM
PvE!

Tankster
Sep 6, 2006, 09:39 PM
On 2006-09-06 19:37, Miphesto wrote:
what is a game w/o pvp...

alot of things...it just doesn't have PvP XP...and i dont think PSU is really ment for PvP anyways.

Deprimenthia
Sep 6, 2006, 09:40 PM
No Battle mode? Ouch. It doesnt take too much off for me, but still. It was nice to have once in a while. ;_;

Tankster
Sep 6, 2006, 09:41 PM
On 2006-09-06 19:40, Deprimenthia wrote:
No Battle mode? Ouch. It doesnt take too much off for me, but still. It was nice to have once in a while. ;_;

They might add that later i heard...

Kers
Sep 6, 2006, 09:43 PM
ok dude...Player...Versus...Environment...

OK?

Check out the PSU FAQ (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2368)

phunk
Sep 6, 2006, 09:50 PM
I think they should stick to PvE until the game has become stable with the playerbase. Once they're ready to push out new content, maybe they'll add PvP; its not bothering me any though, this kind of game is more on the team-based side.

NightHour13
Sep 6, 2006, 09:51 PM
PVP rocks, I hope they implement a battle mode as soon as possible.

Deprimenthia
Sep 6, 2006, 09:57 PM
PvP would be nice in the future, yeah. But I guess I am not that worried about it. Heck, I play Battle Mode on PSO maybe once every 5 months, and thats when I am incredibly bored. I think I will be okay without PvP http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

sigseven
Sep 6, 2006, 10:18 PM
It's so rare that an MMO is actually balanced for both PVE and PVP at the same time that I'd rather they just stuck with PVE and made that as good as possible, instead of just sticking PVP in as an afterthought like in PSO and possibly screwing up PVE balance in the process.

Miphesto
Sep 6, 2006, 10:21 PM
all i want is a way to fight ppl...i dont care if it's elaborate...

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 6, 2006, 10:29 PM
PvP is not needed, especially if it would be like the unbalanced joke of a PvP system PSO had. Now don't get me wrong, Battle 6 can be interesting (assuming no forces spamming techs), but most of the rules were poorly designed.

Miphesto
Sep 6, 2006, 10:34 PM
yeah psos pvp sucked balls...they should copy wow's pvp

sigseven
Sep 6, 2006, 11:01 PM
On 2006-09-06 20:34, Miphesto wrote:

Hahahaha, ok this has to be a joke.

Alexandrious1
Sep 6, 2006, 11:17 PM
On 2006-09-06 21:01, sigseven wrote:

Hahahaha, ok this has to be a joke.

I sure hope its a joke. 70 percent of WoWs PVP fights was based on who has better equipment, 30 percent of it skill o_O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious1 on 2006-09-06 21:17 ]</font>

DoubleJG
Sep 6, 2006, 11:29 PM
If you like playing with people, in a team based scenario, stick to PSU.

If you insist on playing a PVP based game, try Guild Wars. I personally have never played it, but from what I hear/read it's one of the best PVPs out there, simply because it's based on your skills as a player unlike better armor, etc.

*Ofcourse Battle and Challenge mode would be awesome additions later on. Will they ever debut? We shall wait and see.

Nekomimi
Sep 6, 2006, 11:53 PM
PvP is the domain of insecure little children. I'm glad the designers of the game aren't bowing to the lowest common denominator and including a way for children to 'pwnz0r' each other. Working together is more fun, rewarding, and educational.

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 7, 2006, 12:04 AM
All I know about Guild Wars PVP is that knowing how to build your character and what skills you take with you are VERY important. But since the core combat mechanic is the same ol' MMORPG command-&-click targeting stuff (just on steroids so it's faster-paced than other MMOs), I'd say it's less about actual player skill and more about pre-battle build strategy(?) and HOPEFULLY even more about ingame what-skill-to-use-now quick-thinking strategy. (I'd know more but I only played one PVP battle at level 5, bleh)

Garroway
Sep 7, 2006, 02:30 AM
They're better off waiting a bit before implementing PvP. Most of the time games will go through a periode of instability, then a few features will be added, then some new content, followed by some class balancing (and much whining), then maybe we'll see a form of dueling or a PvP area (followed by more whining).

Overall I would be surprised if PvP was not added in some form eventualy, but I really don't think we're going to be seeing it very soon either.

Natrokos
Sep 7, 2006, 02:44 AM
I just want the opportunity to get my ass handed to me by my friends....I don't really want to fight any random person so I hope they implement it somewhere down the road.

ShadowDragon28
Sep 7, 2006, 02:58 AM
My feelings about PVP are pretty much the same as Nekomimi's, PVP in online RPG's or in an action rpg game are rather trite and lame IMO.

Ibuka
Sep 7, 2006, 03:20 AM
I think they'll add it later on. After all, PVE gets boring after months and months of play.
Take Monster Hunter for one thing. That had no PVP in it and it got boring a few months later... which i'm up set that Monter Hunter 2 has some type of PVP form and Monter Hunter 1 didn't... I saw my self playing PSO Battle Mode 6 or Ep3 most of the time after getting 7 characters high levels, Humar 200. RAmarl 190. HUnewearl 187. HUcaseal 160. FOnewearl 151. FOmarl. 147. I just hope Sonic Team adds something in the game for the Battlers or C-Moders later on, Cause the stuff in PSU seems sweet, But to Battlers and C-Moders it'll only last for so long..
So there gonna have to add something if they want me to pay a monthly fee for months and months to come

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ibuka on 2006-09-07 01:31 ]</font>

Losodo1976
Sep 7, 2006, 04:31 AM
Pvp? meh...

Alpha-Hunter
Sep 7, 2006, 04:34 AM
Talk about taking the words right out of my mouth...

On 2006-09-06 21:53, Nekomimi wrote:
PvP is the domain of insecure little children. I'm glad the designers of the game aren't bowing to the lowest common denominator and including a way for children to 'pwnz0r' each other. Working together is more fun, rewarding, and educational.

Tystys
Sep 7, 2006, 05:11 AM
No wonder you're being labeled as an idiot, original poster. Ever since PSO, the Phantasy Star...universe....*ahem*...has always been about working with your freinds to accomplish a common goal. The PVP mode of PSO was only added for people who were desperately trying to use their OMFG 1337 level 200 to "own" noobs,-_-.

I'm glad they don't have PVP yet. Makes playing the actual game alot more fun when you're not pressured to take people on in the game.

A2K
Sep 7, 2006, 05:57 AM
I see nothing wrong with a little friendly competition or sparring. I can see where the negative sentiment is coming from, though.

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 7, 2006, 03:08 PM
A little sparring or friendly competition isn't always about having a special mode for it. Players can sometimes get a little creative in making their own little unofficial PVP modes. I'll take Monster Hunter and use that as an example...

Upon successful completion of a hunting quest, the players have to stay in the quest area for an additional minute. This minute is used to carve the big kill. You can cook some meat or gather stuff during the rest of this minute, but players most often just wail on each other. (Usually there's someone with a Great Sword trying to upswing everyone else.) It's like brief PVP sessions that are of no consequence. Friendly sparring.

I have a friend who loves GS dueling. That is, two players get a Great Sword, take an easy quest, find a good spot, and just fight each other. We usually kept score (first to 10 hits wins) or played king of the hill, where we tried to send each other flying off the cliff. It's a complete waste of time, but it's fun.

So, we shoudl be able to find some ways to compete in PSU.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 03:20 PM
I dont agree with PvP but I admit that it does benefit in something else to do and nothing is lost by doing so.

Besides I can tell they will give in and add PvP maybe later on, so just remember it's purely optional, and ppl can just do whatever. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/cone.gif

Nilot
Sep 7, 2006, 03:42 PM
yeah, totally, I'm not all up for PvP either, but with the new play controls (backstepping and sidestepping) it should make the concept a lil more interesting, but I gotta agree with Nekomimi 95% http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif PvP usually spawns a lot of online tension between players, especially when you win all the time like me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nilot
Sep 7, 2006, 03:44 PM
OH btw, nano blast and SUV weapon would put humans and newmans at an extreme dissadvantage, and from what I've seen so far, from char creation to gameplay PSU seems to be aiming for fairness in all fields

zandra117
Sep 7, 2006, 03:49 PM
On 2006-09-06 19:43, Kers wrote:
ok dude...Player...Versus...Environment...

OK?

Check out the PSU FAQ (http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2368)

But we must protect our environment and stop global warming.

peenk
Sep 7, 2006, 03:50 PM

oh hell no

Tetsuro
Sep 7, 2006, 04:40 PM
Lol you mean Wow's Capture the flag? If they do implement PvP I hope its balanced, cause' in PSO a force with all lv 30 techs would woop everyones ass.

Authenticate
Sep 7, 2006, 05:27 PM
I still think it woud be perfectly plausible to add a "Training Arena" where you fought other Guardians as a form of practice, and maybe have a few tournaments or something. Anything gained from this should be purely aesthetic. Stuff like trophies for your room, new costumes, etc. Just something to mess arround with. Nothin' too fancy.

Miphesto
Sep 7, 2006, 05:43 PM
for the guy who said wow pvp was 70% gear and 30% skill, i'm sorry you never made it past lvl 20....coz u musta got pwned by twinks or something....

wow's pvp is 50% skill, 50% gear, being fair....if you've pvped enough, you can tell just by a character's class, then play style, wether your going to beat them or not, because you can use their skill disadvantage to get around thier t2 gear.....

granted u cant do much with shitty gear, but if u get some decent shit on, you can dominate in pvp...even ppl with much better gear....AND wow's pvp is hella balanced....so for that matter, whoever doesnt know wtf they are talking about is instructed to shut thier fuckin mouths

RPG PVP is the best kind, because it brings out all your hard earned gear and puts it to use, rather than just like a fighting game, start you out at the same lvl as the opponent, and leave everything up to skill....

i do beleive in being good at a game, but all of the countless hours you put into it should count for something...IMO

and if u think PVPing is for small children to get out thier anger....21 yr olds have pent up rage too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Hozanto
Sep 7, 2006, 05:59 PM
PVP in PSU would be so much better then PSOs, but you think they would add offline mutiplayer?
Yeah that would be hard as shit to do like say u have a 8 inch TV lol, but if that was the case u could.... just not play that mode.
and what if they add GO BALL IN LOBBIES AGAIN?!... or like in a room certain room on the planet?

Garroway
Sep 7, 2006, 06:04 PM
I can understand why people don't want an open PvP environment. I can't say that I agree, but the teeming hordes of faceless simpletons seem to like the idea of everything being manufactured by nerf. The part that I don't understand is why people are so against the idea of a controled method for PvP where both parties agree to the match, and the match takes place in such a way that doesn't interrupt a nonparticipants game. I always have a problem with people that want everyone to be forced to enjoy an activity their way. In my opinion, that steadfast unwillingness to compromise is just as, if not more, childish than the people that actualy do want to use PvP to ruin someone elses expierence.

Ibuka
Sep 7, 2006, 06:29 PM
On 2006-09-07 16:04, Garroway wrote:
I can understand why people don't want an open PvP environment. I can't say that I agree, but the teeming hordes of faceless simpletons seem to like the idea of everything being manufactured by nerf. The part that I don't understand is why people are so against the idea of a controled method for PvP where both parties agree to the match, and the match takes place in such a way that doesn't interrupt a nonparticipants game. I always have a problem with people that want everyone to be forced to enjoy an activity their way. In my opinion, that steadfast unwillingness to compromise is just as, if not more, childish than the people that actualy do want to use PvP to ruin someone elses expierence.

Gotta admit, He makes a good point

Kindaichi
Sep 7, 2006, 06:32 PM
What would be cool if like you could expand your "My room" and add like a gym or whatever then you could invite friends to come and test eachothers skills.....this is probally stupid but it sounds cool in my head ><

Kano-Okami
Sep 7, 2006, 06:41 PM
Kindaichi said:
What would be cool if like you could expand your "My room" and add like a gym or whatever then you could invite friends to come and test eachothers skills.....this is probally stupid but it sounds cool in my head ><

Hehe, that sounds like something I'd see in an online shenmue.
I doubt it'd happen on PSU though, the photon attacks in their own right are space-consuming.
But still, pvp isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Miphesto
Sep 7, 2006, 07:10 PM
well i'm fresh off of wow, coming from a server where as a horde, we were outnumbered 6:1 by alliance...and i got ganked all day, and i still think PKing is tight...

Shadow_Wing
Sep 7, 2006, 07:13 PM
I don't like open PvP personally, however I do like games that allow PvP areas, similar to games like Guild Wars and CoX. I think allowing PvP in certain instances is a good way to introduce that additional urge to fight your fellow players with your character. The possibility of PSU having pvp is still up in the air, and I'm not one to say it's for sure a no.

Miphesto
Sep 7, 2006, 07:38 PM
the thing that PSO lacked in pvp was the inability to run away...and the crappy movement mechanics....in order for good pvp u neet rooting, and stuff like that, PSO's pvp was very inelaborate (is that a word?) they just basically enabled your attacks to damage other players...there is an amount of balance to be put into pvp, including dmg regulation, movement enhancements and debuffs etc....

dont get me wrong, i couldnt stand a new pso battle mode...that's not at all what i want

Tystys
Sep 7, 2006, 07:58 PM
Ofcourse the PVP mechanics aren't all that great, the game is over 5 years old, -_-

WiLDFiRe
Sep 7, 2006, 08:17 PM
PSO's battle mechanics weren't meant for PvP. PSO PvP battle became who can kill their teamates faster, yoink the most boxes and unequip faster. A lot of people made the best of it, but it wasn't for me.

If PSU's battle mechanics function anything like PSO, knocked down after 1hit with a few secs of invincibility while getting up, than PSU PvP wouldn't be much fun to me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WiLDFiRe on 2006-09-07 18:17 ]</font>

DraginHikari
Sep 7, 2006, 08:53 PM
Actually from what I've heard there is no longer invincibility when you fall to the ground your still capable of taking damage.

Shadow_Wing
Sep 7, 2006, 09:03 PM
Either way, PSO Battle Mode was god awful.

VanHalen
Sep 9, 2006, 01:30 AM
yeah and it was like one it per 30 secs(exaggerating but what the heck)