PDA

View Full Version : A bit worried about PSU for PS2

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 12:36 AM
Most of my PSO friends are gonna be on the PC and PS2 servers, and my pc is garbage. So PS2 is my only choice.

Anyways, I am a bit worried about the lag. Ps2 online has always been notorious for its lag. FFXI was not too bad, but PSU is supposed to be a fast paced game. And with even the small amount of lag FFXI had, it could ruin the experience. So, I am asking you ps2 PSU importers, how laggy is it?

Nekomimi
Sep 7, 2006, 12:37 AM
Lag is based on your network. It has nothing to do with the PS2 itself. If you've got a good network, then you will have low lag.

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hm. So all these people who keep saying the PS2 version is gonna lag to hell are ill-informed?

Nekomimi
Sep 7, 2006, 12:43 AM
It won't be any laggier than someone playing on the same connection on a PC.

The PS2 has SLOWDOWN though.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 7, 2006, 12:44 AM
...............................out of ALLthe things, lag is your biggest fear? <_< seriously there are other things to worry about.

Unknown_PC
Sep 7, 2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah, PS2 version definitely suffers from frequent framerate issues.

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 12:47 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Anyways, yes I am worrying about framerate/lag/etc. Because I hate playing my PS2 for just that reason. Now Im really crossing my fingers that the 360 version will crossover to the other servers.

Nekomimi
Sep 7, 2006, 12:49 AM
Lag is different than framerate. God. Damn.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 12:52 AM
IGN confirmed awful slowdown in the Xbox360 version and said the PS2 version is quite comfortable and smooth as it is.

and you are misinformed about lag, the system has nothing to do with lag, it has to do with your ISP and connection speed and the servers to some extent.

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 12:52 AM
I understand that. Sorry? =/

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 12:54 AM
Like I said, I understand. I just wrongly used lag as a general word for any type of slowing down.

Wow. All these sources say different things. Haha. Oh well.

JAFO22000
Sep 7, 2006, 12:56 AM
Saner is correct...this game was made with the PS2 in mind. 360 was added as an afterthought...I'd be surprised if the PS2 version is the "worst".

jaycougar
Sep 7, 2006, 01:00 AM
When it comes to MMO's most lag will come from Server side. When to many connections to a certain area, it bogs the server down. This shouldnt be a problem for any of the platforms it will be on becouse the game is not graphicly challanging and if u remember the DC ran off a 56k line. This is a bigger game but it is mostly built the same. 6 players per room.. The only way u should be worried is the lobby but hell even that shouldnt matter seeing as how they limit people there also.

drownedBYfire
Sep 7, 2006, 01:01 AM
Wasn't this game designed especially for the ps2 and its the 360/PC that are the ports. The graphics show this fully. PS2 will run it fine, but a heavy heavy server will slow it up a bit. Small price for the view from a couch.

xuse me. i meant that they have to adjust the game to be playable on the 360 and pc. PS2 disks dont work in those right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drownedBYfire on 2006-09-06 23:10 ]</font>

jaycougar
Sep 7, 2006, 01:05 AM
On 2006-09-06 23:01, drownedBYfire wrote:
Wasn't this game designed especially for the ps2 and its the 360/PC that are the ports. The graphics show this fully. PS2 will run it fine, but a heavy heavy server will slow it up a bit. Small price for the view from a couch.

yea but this game is designed for a console. there is no other way to play it ya know?

Cross
Sep 7, 2006, 01:08 AM
On 2006-09-06 22:52, Saner wrote:
IGN confirmed awful slowdown in the Xbox360 version and said the PS2 version is quite comfortable and smooth as it is.

IGN got to see the first three, simplest levels that shouldn't tax any system on a preview version of the game. In the final release, the PS2 has substantial slowdown in later areas (the first Mizuraki mission is a big offender).

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 01:10 AM
the couch thing isn't even 1/4 of the reasons why consoles are the best choice for many people who play these games.

but anyways that discussion is repeated endlessly, so no point since that just sparks system wars anyways.

TremorChrist
Sep 7, 2006, 01:13 AM

I'll be very surprised if the retail version of PSU360 has slowdown. A preview of an unfinished version of the game dosn't reflect the final game's preformance.

Losodo1976
Sep 7, 2006, 01:13 AM
yea but this game is designed for a console. there is no other way to play it ya know?

Absolutely. PSU is gonna be TIGHT on PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 01:15 AM
Haha. I suppose youre all right. The graphics arent crazily high tech, and there might be a bit of slowdown, but I can handle it. People over-exaggerate stuff a lot it seems. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 01:17 AM
On 2006-09-06 23:13, TremorChrist wrote:

I'll be very surprised if the retail version of PSU360 has slowdown. A preview of an unfinished version of the game dosn't reflect the final game's preformance.

it wouldn't be a surprise since there have been some regular Xbox game ports from PS2 that are in fact slightly worse visually and performance-wise than the PS2 versions.

it all depends on how they adapt it to another system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-09-06 23:18 ]</font>

-Shimarisu-
Sep 7, 2006, 02:19 AM
PS2 IS BRINGING US DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN MAN!

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 7, 2006, 03:07 AM
it will run fine on all of them so there, lol

AwakenSardis
Sep 7, 2006, 06:52 AM
Deep calming breaths people. Breath out the fear/anger, breath in the joy/calmness. Now say it with me:

"It's all goooooooood"

Nilot
Sep 7, 2006, 07:48 AM
good thing I've got high speed cable power action, my ps2 should be fine but it would be nice if it could be played on the PS3, someone from sega that I got a chance to talk to said that PSU will most likely have backwards compatibility with ps3

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:05 AM
All this Xbox and PS2 hate.

PC users must be really happy with theirs =P

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 08:07 AM

and you are misinformed about lag, the system has nothing to do with lag, it has to do with your ISP and connection speed and the servers to some extent.

Come on Saner you know better than that! Your constant PS2 defense and 360 bashing is getting annoying.

The 360 version in question was a VERY early port, you know that as well as everyone else as it has been discussed before. They have had plenty of time to get it running perfectly and since it is not a graphics heavy game (due to being designed for the PS2) it will be easy to maintain a solid framerate of 30FPS on 360. And that's if they rush it, if they spent a little time to make use of the hardware (and we are talking a TINY amount of time to optimise the PSU code for 360) it could easily run at 6FPS on the 360. Porting a (almost) finished game to 360 is an easy task but not one that would gaurantee perfect framerate with early code.

If the PC code can run at 60 FPS on a half-decent PC (Not top of the line needed at all from what I have heard) then the 360 should easily run at a locked 30fps (I'm hopeing for 60 as they could do it no problem).

BUT it is a FACT that the PS2 version suffers from framerate issue's. The article you quote probably only saw the PS2 version running earlier levels because from ALL sources once you get to Chapter 5 and 6 it suffers from serious frame rate drops. And that is not going to change for the US release.

Your lack of faith in Sonic Team's ability to port to the 360 is shamefull when compared to your agressive defense of them whenever anything in the PS2 version is brought into question. Sega have already proven they are pretty good at utilising the 360 hardware (Full Auto is a beautifull game and it runs at 60 fps, and was a launch title!. Graphically Full Auto far exceeds PSU).

But you are absolutley correct about lag, the PS2 *should* have no more or less lag than the PC as it is entirely dependant on Sega's network code. Unless you are using or playing with someone on dial-up (or an appaling connection of course), but it is certainly not the PS2 at fault.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 08:17 AM
On 2006-09-06 23:17, Saner wrote:

On 2006-09-06 23:13, TremorChrist wrote:

it wouldn't be a surprise since there have been some regular Xbox game ports from PS2 that are in fact slightly worse visually and performance-wise than the PS2 versions.

it all depends on how they adapt it to another system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-09-06 23:18 ]</font>

Again this is completly UNTRUE!!!

There has NEVER been a PS2 game ported to the Xbox that was worse on the XBOX! NEVER! When PS2 games were ported over to the Xbox they often (read:ALWAYS) looked worse than they would if they were created for the Xbox from scratch but they ALWAYS looked better on the XBOX. ALWAYS!

Most of the time they looked virtually IDENTICAL, but the Xbox version would always look slightly better for one important reason, anti-aliasing. The XBox versions would never ever suffer from the shimmering textures and jaggies because the anti-aliasing is pasrt of the graphics chip.

I should know because I have had both a PS2 and an Xbox from pretty much day 1 and would aways buy the Xbox version of multi-platform games. I loved bot systems but the Xbox was always supperior graphics wise.

So again your PS2 bias is tainting your view.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:19 AM
On 2006-09-07 06:07, parabolee wrote:

Come on Saner you know better than that! Your constant PS2 defense and 360 bashing is getting annoying.

The 360 version in question was a VERY early port, you know that as well as everyone else as it has been discussed before. They have had plenty of time to get it running perfectly and since it is not a graphics heavy game (due to being designed for the PS2) it will be easy to maintain a solid framerate of 30FPS on 360. And that's if they rush it, if they spent a little time to make use of the hardware (and we are talking a TINY amount of time to optimise the PSU code for 360) it could easily run at 6FPS on the 360. Porting a (almost) finished game to 360 is an easy task but not one that would gaurantee perfect framerate with early code.

If the PC code can run at 60 FPS on a half-decent PC (Not top of the line needed at all from what I have heard) then the 360 should easily run at a locked 30fps (I'm hopeing for 60 as they could do it no problem).

BUT it is a FACT that the PS2 version suffers from framerate issue's. The article you quote probably only saw the PS2 version running earlier levels because from ALL sources once you get to Chapter 5 and 6 it suffers from serious frame rate drops. And that is not going to change for the US release.

Your lack of faith in Sonic Team's ability to port to the 360 is shamefull when compared to your agressive defense of them whenever anything in the PS2 version is brought into question. Sega have already proven they are pretty good at utilising the 360 hardware (Full Auto is a beautifull game and it runs at 60 fps, and was a launch title!. Graphically Full Auto far exceeds PSU).

But you are absolutley correct about lag, the PS2 *should* have no more or less lag than the PC as it is entirely dependant on Sega's network code. Unless you are using or playing with someone on dial-up (or an appaling connection of course), but it is certainly not the PS2 at fault.

Qft,

You forgot Chromehounds and Condemned.

Its about time someone called Saner out on it though, it is a bit of a bother each and everytime someone says something about PS2 v 360 a post pops up about how badly the other server will be because of XBLive-Brats, etc...

Give it a rest and stop with the fanboy march, play a platform for fun not to act like you're part of a virtual army.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-07 06:22 ]</font>

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks, I loved Condemned!

And I have no system bias. I just want to play the best version. If Sega release a superior PS3 version of PSU I'll be there RIGHT AWAY!

Shit that would probably be enough to make me shell out $500 for the PS3! I would still play with my 360 character and have new characters on the PS3 (I did that with XB and GC too).

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:35 AM
On 2006-09-07 06:27, parabolee wrote:
Thanks, I loved Condemned!

And I have no system bias. I just want to play the best version. If Sega release a superior PS3 version of PSU I'll be there RIGHT AWAY!

Shit that would probably be enough to make me shell out $500 for the PS3! I would still play with my 360 character and have new characters on the PS3 (I did that with XB and GC too).

Ye,

That alone would probably justify me shelling out $600.00 for the PS3 besides just MGS4.

If the servers were linked to X360 that is.

No system bias here either, I'm just going X360 for voice chat and I like a small server pop.

McLaughlin
Sep 7, 2006, 02:08 PM

For **** sakes Saner. IGN played an unfinished version of the game. Give it a rest already. The PS2 isn't some kind of God, so stop worshipping it.

Every time something remotely negative about the PS2 pops up, you jump in and start critisizing the other platforms, while coming up with some conkinany defense for the PS2.

The PS2 suffers from framerate issues. Deal with it. The 360 isn't immune to the problem either, but it's being blown way out of proportion. Obviously the game is going to slowdown if it's incomplete.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 02:14 PM
who's worshipping?

you're the one who seems to get upset over what's laid down as fact, even for a unfinished version they previewed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Mikedot
Sep 7, 2006, 02:18 PM
Console wars make me lol.

Anyway, on topic: It really shouldn't matter what console you want to play PSU on. It's all the same game with some differences, but that DOES NOT make one version of the game more fun then the other.

Play PSU on any system, you'll get the same amount of fun out of it.

tank1
Sep 7, 2006, 02:22 PM
Console wars are made of squish and fail imo but they still make me lol.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 02:23 PM
No I am upset at your intentional miss-representation of 60% complete code, when we know you are well aware of the fact that it will probably be perfect by launch. Anyway more recent reports state that "if you do go for any version of PSU, make sure it is the Xbox360 version, as the difference between that and the PlayStation2 version is tremendous!" ([url]ragol.co.uk[url])

I bet you would be defending the hell out of it if it were the PS2 version in question.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 02:42 PM
I don't see it as offending and defending. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

their views are still subjective and highly opinionated like everyone else's.

"make sure it is the Xbox360 version"

what kind of biased and narrowminded 'command' is that? ragol.co.uk sounds like just another graphics nutcase. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

*in the future*
"Halo 3 is looking to have best graphix ever, even more so than the PC version! Get the X360 version! its game of the year, says I!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

TimeBombPlus
Sep 7, 2006, 02:43 PM
all this complaining and shit is getting on my nerves, framerate this lag that, if lag is an issue PLAY OFFLINE.. problem solved for lag... if framerate is an issue well ALL GAMES HAVE FRAMERATE ISSUES so get over it

McLaughlin
Sep 7, 2006, 02:46 PM
On 2006-09-07 12:14, Saner wrote:
who's worshipping?

you're the one who seems to get upset over what's laid down as fact, even for a unfinished version they previewed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The fact is you can't properly review a game cosmetically when it's only half-baked.

Every platform will suffer from latency, but to say that the Xbox 360 (or PC) versions will be worse (if not as bad) as the Playstation version is just being ignorant. But it was designed in mind for the PS2 you say? I couldn't care less what platform the game was originally intended for. Even if you use the exact same coding (which you can't) for all three versions, it's idiotic to say a more powerful machine will perform worse than an outdated console (yes, I said it. Outdated.).

And just because you put a smiley at the end of your post doesn't make it any less argumental.

Tee ****ing hee http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-09-07 13:00 ]</font>

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 02:55 PM
their views are still subjective and highly opinionated like everyone else's.

"make sure it is the Xbox360 version"

what kind of biased and narrowminded 'command' is that? ragol.co.uk sounds like just another graphics nutcase. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

It's hardly biased to state the simple fact that the 360 version is better than the PS2 version by a large margin, it is merely a fact.

And putting a smiley at the end of a confrontational statment does not make it less so.

Mikedot
Sep 7, 2006, 02:58 PM
How can Xbox 360 be better then the PS2 version? IT'S THE SAME DAMN GAME. Just because the X360 version looks better doesnt mean it will play better, you crazy kids.

McLaughlin
Sep 7, 2006, 03:02 PM
Too bad the entire debate is over frame rate issues and not gameplay. Thanks for reading though.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 03:03 PM
We are merely talking about framerate/graphics here Mikedot.

There is no debate over the gameplay, it will be amazing on ALL systems of course (best game ever in fact).

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 03:13 PM
On 2006-09-07 13:03, parabolee wrote:
We are merely talking about framerate/graphics here Mikedot.

There is no debate over the gameplay, it will be amazing on ALL systems of course (best game ever in fact).

hmmm

It's hardly biased to state the simple fact that the 360 version is better than the PS2 version by a large margin, it is merely a fact.

contradicting yourself saying it that way. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

McLaughlin
Sep 7, 2006, 03:17 PM
Facts cannot be biased. They're merely truthful tidbits of information which you constantly challenge or ignore completely.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-09-07 13:18 ]</font>

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 03:24 PM
Saner wrote:

contradicting yourself saying it that way. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

You know very well that I was talking about graphics alone.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 03:26 PM
On 2006-09-07 13:17, Zeta wrote:
Facts cannot be biased. They're merely truthful tidbits of information which you constantly challenge or ignore completely.

who is anyone to say what is a 'fact'? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

it's still all naturally based on preference.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 03:27 PM
On 2006-09-07 13:24, parabolee wrote:

You know very well that I was talking about graphics alone.

so Xbox360 has a prettier version. yippee kai yay. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

HUnewearl_Meira
Sep 7, 2006, 03:41 PM
All right, I'm going to lay it out right now.

The PlayStation 2 version will have lower-resolution textures, lower-poly models and no real anti-aliasing. This should come to no great surprise-- the console's technology is what, 7 years old? It's slower, and doesn't have the permanent and temporary memory needed to do what the PC and Xbox360 can do.

The PC version will likely be the smoothest, for the most part. As the game grows older, the available technology will get better, making the game run better on its last day than it did on its first. The textures will have higher resolutions and the models will have more polygons (though possibly with the option of using low-res textures and low-poly models, to the benefit of older PCs). Graphically, it will be better, in very much the same measure that PSOBB is graphically better than the GameCube and Xbox versions. If you want to see a better comparison, compare PSOBB to PSODC- the Dreamcast and the PlayStation 2 are terribly similar in the quality of their output, making this a likely difference. The PC version will also be more prone to more updates that are likely to be more comprehensive, as a patch can overwrite or add to any portion of the game/game data (as opposed to the PS2, the updates to which cannot exceed a sum of 8MB).

The Xbox 360 version will likely to be subject to quirks identical to the PC version; I really quite expect that the only reason we're seeing a 360 version at all, is because of the extreme practical similarities between the PC and the Xbox 360. By clever use of preprocessor directives to cover the few minor differences between the source code for both versions, they can make a simple change to one line of code near the top of the source file, and compile the same source files for both ports of the game. It will have fewer options to vary the graphical performance, favoring hard-coded settings, because the hardware doesn't vary significantly from one Xbox 360 to another, eliminating the need for performance adjustments. Like the PC version, the textures will have higher resolutions and the models will offer more polygons than the PS2 version. The PC and Xbox versions will therefore be the prefered versions for creating still screenshots.

Ultimately, the graphics will be marginally inferior on the PS2, and will vary greatly on the PC, depending on the PC's configuration. There really isn't any particular advantage to the PS2 version, beyond the fact that the PS2 is easily the most affordable platform to obtain at this point. If your end goal is just to play the game and you don't currently own a console it is being released on, then the PS2 is the way to go. Asside from that it's just a question of what you already have, how important it is to you that you get the best graphics you can, and which controller you prefer.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 03:53 PM
HUnewearl_Meira everything you just said is 100% true, however saner will either ignore or not read it at all.

The very fact that we continue to have this discussion is beyond me, HUnewearl_Meira has stated the obvious truth which we continue to have to debate with those that refuse to accept the obvious due to bias.

McLaughlin
Sep 7, 2006, 04:01 PM
On 2006-09-07 13:41, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

The PlayStation 2 version will have lower-resolution textures, lower-poly models and no real anti-aliasing. This should come to no great surprise-- the console's technology is what, 7 years old? It's slower, and doesn't have the permanent and temporary memory needed to do what the PC and Xbox360 can do.

The PC version will likely be the smoothest, for the most part. As the game grows older, the available technology will get better, making the game run better on its last day than it did on its first. The textures will have higher resolutions and the models will have more polygons (though possibly with the option of using low-res textures and low-poly models, to the benefit of older PCs). Graphically, it will be better, in very much the same measure that PSOBB is graphically better than the GameCube and Xbox versions. If you want to see a better comparison, compare PSOBB to PSODC- the Dreamcast and the PlayStation 2 are terribly similar in the quality of their output, making this a likely difference. The PC version will also be more prone to more updates that are likely to be more comprehensive, as a patch can overwrite or add to any portion of the game/game data (as opposed to the PS2, the updates to which cannot exceed a sum of 8MB).

The Xbox 360 version will likely to be subject to quirks identical to the PC version; I really quite expect that the only reason we're seeing a 360 version at all, is because of the extreme practical similarities between the PC and the Xbox 360. By clever use of preprocessor directives to cover the few minor differences between the source code for both versions, they can make a simple change to one line of code near the top of the source file, and compile the same source files for both ports of the game. It will have fewer options to vary the graphical performance, favoring hard-coded settings, because the hardware doesn't vary significantly from one Xbox 360 to another, eliminating the need for performance adjustments. Like the PC version, the textures will have higher resolutions and the models will offer more polygons than the PS2 version. The PC and Xbox versions will therefore be the prefered versions for creating still screenshots.

Ultimately, the graphics will be marginally inferior on the PS2, and will vary greatly on the PC, depending on the PC's configuration. There really isn't any particular advantage to the PS2 version, beyond the fact that the PS2 is easily the most affordable platform to obtain at this point. If your end goal is just to play the game and you don't currently own a console it is being released on, then the PS2 is the way to go. Asside from that it's just a question of what you already have, how important it is to you that you get the best graphics you can, and which controller you prefer.

Oh snap.

Point, HUnewearl_Meira.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 04:44 PM
On 2006-09-07 14:01, Zeta wrote:

On 2006-09-07 13:41, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Oh snap.

Point, HUnewearl_Meira.

^