PDA

View Full Version : PSU: Music

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:03 AM
I am really suprised that this topic hasn't been brought up as of yet.

Whenever asked about PSO there were two things I'd always comment on, how fun it was and how great the music was.

It matched PSO's atmosphere and did the game justice.

What of PSU, is it reminiscent of PSO's style; a bit of electronica here and there but kept things surreal by the amount of ambience.

I hope its like that, hell I still hum Vol Opt's theme here and there haha. As long as Sega doesn't go down the Square-Enix route and push pop culture into their series (FFVII: DoC) by getting some J-Pop idol then its all good.

easy~

uhawww
Sep 7, 2006, 08:35 AM
It's very reminiscent of PSO, actually, a bit more heavy, which also does this game justice.
Some of the areas have some great deep tracks (like Moatoob surface's kinda of NuJazz-y track, or the Gurhal Temple's Drum and Bass track).
Others more orthodox (Gurhal Temple Boss's Techno-Industrial).
Some are very flowing hybrid forms (Mizuraki's Ethnic House).
The instrumental tracks are nice as well (Save This World (Instrumental), My Room, Daguora City)

Quite possibly the most well done, diverse game soundtrack to come along in a long time.

ShadowNeo
Sep 7, 2006, 08:37 AM
To me, the only way I can describe it is, PSO music, "grown up". Alot of it is much more emotion-evoking stuff, such as the My Room theme tune. It still reminds me of PSO though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:38 AM
On 2006-09-07 06:35, uhawww wrote:
It's very reminiscent of PSO, actually, a bit more heavy, which also does this game justice.
Some of the areas have some great deep tracks (like Moatoob surface's kinda of NuJazz-y track, or the Gurhal Temple's Drum and Bass track).
Others more orthodox (Gurhal Temple Boss's Techno-Industrial).
Some are very flowing hybrid forms (Mizuraki's Ethnic House).
The instrumental tracks are nice as well (Save This World (Instrumental), My Room, Daguora City)

Quite possibly the most well done, diverse game soundtrack to come along in a long time.

Oh word?

So they went back and popped in some breaks (DnB) nice nice.

I'm looking forward to this then, really looking forward to it.

Is the OST out yet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-07 06:40 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-07 06:41 ]</font>

uhawww
Sep 7, 2006, 08:39 AM
Not for another week or so.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-07 06:42 ]</font>

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:41 AM
Oh, are there any classic remixes? Like PSO's EP. 1&2 had remixes of PSIV's dungeon songs blended into one in the VR simulator.

uhawww
Sep 7, 2006, 08:46 AM
I believe so, there are supposedly a couple bonus tracks and remixes on it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-07 06:46 ]</font>

EGO-BOT
Sep 7, 2006, 08:48 AM
Is there a sound test in the options menu?

Mewn
Sep 7, 2006, 08:59 AM
There's no sound test.

The music is pretty diverse and really well done, imo. I'll give the vocal tracks a miss, but unlike PSO this is a game where I will probably not switch off the BGM and load up WinAmp. Even if I do, PSU allows you to switch off the BGM in-game, unlike PSOBB.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:59 AM
On 2006-09-07 06:46, uhawww wrote:
I believe so, there are supposedly a couple bonus tracks and remixes on it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-07 06:46 ]</font>

Nice,

Always enjoyed PSO's tracks because of the EDM influence they had on them. If you can't bring it to the masses through the ones and twos got to find another way hehe.

A2K
Sep 7, 2006, 09:13 AM
Is that three disc soundtrack on sale already? I'm seriously considering importing one.

RoninJoku
Sep 7, 2006, 09:22 AM
On 2006-09-07 07:13, A2K wrote:
Is that three disc soundtrack on sale already? I'm seriously considering importing one.

I've been waiting for this aswell... No I don't believe it's out for a while though...

Haze2in1
Sep 7, 2006, 09:25 AM
Wow
Phunk you read my mind!! I was going to post a topic about the music
Isnt it great!! It kinda reminds me of my PSO dreamcast days........
Sonic team is always spot on about its music in games
Speaking of which does one know where I can find mp3s of PSO so I can reminiscence about those great times

mattdude
Sep 7, 2006, 09:26 AM
I wish that.....that would put PSU usic on Itunes, that would be awsome....they did that with Final fantasy tunes...it would be nice if they could.

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 09:29 AM
The music was great in PSO, and I can't wait to listen to PSU's music.

P.S. Although the Cave's music was extremely boring, you have to admit it matched the atmosphere http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 7, 2006, 09:34 AM
so far from what I've heard, the music from PSU seems to be much better than the music from PSO, seems more lively. I just didn't like most of the PSO stage music, but I do like some of the songs for the bosses, especially the Gal Gryphon.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 09:35 AM
On 2006-09-07 07:29, Deprimenthia wrote:
The music was great in PSO, and I can't wait to listen to PSU's music.

P.S. Although the Cave's music was extremely boring, you have to admit it matched the atmosphere http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ye, most def'. Caves was just a bore to get through. Caves 3 changed the atmosphere a bit, but then you run into De Rol Le for the first time and realize why you really hate the Caves.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-07 07:39 ]</font>

Inspektahdek
Sep 7, 2006, 09:36 AM
I downloaded the OST, it's pretty decent.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 09:40 AM
Junglist?

Nuf respect.

Deprimenthia
Sep 7, 2006, 09:42 AM
"especially the Gal Gryphon."

Haha. Ditto. The Gal Gryphon was a pretty epic boss period, and the music just makes it even more awesome.

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 09:47 AM
The VR Dragon was my favorite tune, had some amazing breaks in there and was an outright grimy tune to blast.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 10:34 AM
I have the Visual Book & Soundtrack which is only 9 tracks and 30 minutes long but the music is really amazing. I even love the super cheesy j-pop theme song!

Listen here - http://flat-life.com/temp/PSU/09-masamichi_amano-save_this_world-cocmp3.mp3

For those that care it was composed by Masamichi Amano who has done many great video game soundtracks. More info here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamichi_Amano

Not sure if he did the original PSO soundtrack but it could probably be looked up easily.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: parabolee on 2006-09-07 08:36 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Sep 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
No sound test? Maybe after you beat the game? Phantasy Star II & IV had it, as did PSO. I hope it was included. Hell, ANY game should have a sound test. Sometimes, you just want to hear music or sound fx...just because. Also, the little bit of music I did hear from the game, I like, & want to hear more. A friend of mine STILL has PSO sounds on his cell phone as ringers. Still trying to find out how he did it & wondering if he'll put PSU stuff on it.

A2K
Sep 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
On 2006-09-07 08:34, parabolee wrote:
I have the Visual Book & Soundtrack which is only 9 tracks and 30 minutes long but the music is really amazing. I even love the super cheesy j-pop theme song!

Listen here - http://flat-life.com/temp/PSU/09-masamichi_amano-save_this_world-cocmp3.mp3

For those that care it was composed by Masamichi Amano who has done many great video game soundtracks. More info here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamichi_Amano

Not sure if he did the original PSO soundtrack but it could probably be looked up easily.

I'm rather certain he doesn't do the entire soundtrack. I know at least Hideaki Kobayashi (who did the original's soundtrack, along with Fumie Kumatani and Kenichi Tokoi) makes a return. The only songs I imagine Amano does are the full orchestral pieces with the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra. Don't quote me on that, though.

And no, no sound test. I love the last dungeon's theme. So many horns...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-07 09:33 ]</font>

Dahilia
Sep 7, 2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for sharing, Parabolee.
Wow, that theme is corny, rofl. I thought PSO's opening theme was corny, too. Maybe it's a trend; corny opening, awesome rest-of-soundtrack.

Edit: After about listening to it 3 times, it's still corny... but catchy!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dahilia on 2006-09-07 12:11 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 7, 2006, 02:07 PM
It grows on you. I mean, it's really corny, but for some reason I can't stop listening to it.

Saner
Sep 7, 2006, 02:10 PM
I glad they didn't ever use piano music or jazz music or rap music or things that didn't fit the mood or theme

(remember Star Ocean 3's occasional rap boss battle theme? gaaaaaaah! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/frenchfries.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_ketchup.gif

On 2006-09-07 09:13, OdinTyler wrote:
No sound test? Maybe after you beat the game? Phantasy Star II & IV had it, as did PSO. I hope it was included. Hell, ANY game should have a sound test. Sometimes, you just want to hear music or sound fx...just because. Also, the little bit of music I did hear from the game, I like, & want to hear more. A friend of mine STILL has PSO sounds on his cell phone as ringers. Still trying to find out how he did it & wondering if he'll put PSU stuff on it.

sound tests are not popular in most games these days because they want ppl to get buy the soundtrack instead. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-09-07 12:11 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
Sep 7, 2006, 02:27 PM
lol me and my little bro used to joke about geting the caves music stuck in our head... try humming or whistling the caves BGM...

see ither u dont remember it or u sound like u have special needs, but it definately fit the mood. i own the Ragol odyssey sound track and i plan to get the PSU track ASAP. and i have been trying to tell ppl, som im glad then some1 else gets it... the opening is MAD chessy, so chessy it makes Kraft look lactose intolerant! but it is SOOOO catchy you cant help but humm it from time to time.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah I have that song stuck in my head all day http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Mind you I do have the soundtrack on my MP3 player http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nilot
Sep 7, 2006, 04:24 PM
I like the theme of Ohtoku city (Neundaiz city) the oriental style is soo relaxing

oShojino
Sep 7, 2006, 04:54 PM
*link removed*

Heres a rar of all the sounds/songs in the closed beta. If anyone is interested.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-09-08 04:50 ]</font>

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks much.

Inspektahdek
Sep 7, 2006, 06:13 PM
On 2006-09-07 07:40, phunk wrote:
Junglist?

Nuf respect.

bout time some more dnb heads played PSO

Kindaichi
Sep 7, 2006, 06:21 PM
thx shino, i have to say now that i think about it pso's music really was amazing. I never really listen to the music in games lol i usually play music in the background on pc our pop in my ipod but when im playing psox..i actually listened to it because it made me more "in" the game. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kindaichi on 2006-09-07 16:23 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
Sep 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
On 2006-09-07 14:54, oShojino wrote:
*link removed*

Heres a rar of all the sounds/songs in the closed beta. If anyone is interested.

2 bad i dont know how to use these dum sites -_- o well ill just wait 4 the soundtrack and show my aproval buy shelling out the meseta 4 it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-09-08 04:51 ]</font>

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 06:32 PM
On 2006-09-07 16:13, Inspektahdek wrote:

On 2006-09-07 07:40, phunk wrote:
Junglist?

Nuf respect.

bout time some more dnb heads played PSO

Of course haha this is the Junglist's game.

If you got a myspace add me up on that, easy.

ORM-D
Sep 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
On 2006-09-07 07:25, Haze2in1 wrote:
Wow
Phunk you read my mind!! I was going to post a topic about the music
Isnt it great!! It kinda reminds me of my PSO dreamcast days........
Sonic team is always spot on about its music in games
Speaking of which does one know where I can find mp3s of PSO so I can reminiscence about those great times

Well you have the illegal way (limewire) or the leagal way (buy the cd from japan). I got all the pso tracks off lime wire and loaded them onto my ipod.

Ryoten
Sep 7, 2006, 07:16 PM
Do that have any of the old PS songs on PSU? I'm hoping they did a remix of TrickTrack.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 07:25 PM
People still use limewire? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

oShojino
Sep 8, 2006, 02:11 AM
ANIMEniac, just click the link, input the the three letter code, hit enter then wait 45 seconds and a link will pop up. Then you simply download it, make sure you have pop up blocker off.

Haze2n1, what I did is downloaded blue burst and it came with all of pso's music, plus episode 4 in .ogg format. All of these will play in winamp or windows media player if you have an .ogg codec (search free-codecs.com for an ogg codec, theres plenty there). If you want to convert them to mp3 or wav files to put on ipod or other things, you can download a program called audacity (google it) it free and allows you to convert any sound file type to mp3 or wav, even lets you record sounds playing from your computer (any sounds). The only troublesome files are the dungeons .oggs, they have special coding in them that makes them switch to certain parts of the song when entering different situations (like when entering a battle, or going to another floor). What I did is just let the dungeon ogg's run in winamp and recorder them with audacity, then converted them to mp3. The quality isnt as good as the original, but its ipod and windows media player friendly.

I could upload them if you want the blue burst ogg's as well as the .mp3's of all the dungeon stages, I didnt convert the other ogg's cause they were either different them songs or just various sounds. Ill start uploading it in case if anyone wants it.

As for the PSU soundtrack, its available already I believe. If you're interested in it PM me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oShojino on 2006-09-08 00:12 ]</font>