PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt the expansion coming out on the PC?

tikigod13
Sep 7, 2006, 12:01 PM
This is so dumb i wont be able to play expansion and then they will just be splitting up all the communites in have. xbox360 is allready alone. Then PS2 Will be playing online alone because of the expansion. Why Sega?

watashiwa
Sep 7, 2006, 12:04 PM
It probably is. Most likely an oversight by the post.

The PC and PS2 play on the same servers.. if the PC isn't getting the expansion "disc", it's most likely getting an expansion download..

Relax. =P

Alpha-Hunter
Sep 7, 2006, 12:04 PM
there has to be a reason man. why freak out without details? someone mentioned in a nother thread that is may be because the PC can be easily patched... who knows...

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 12:06 PM
I gaurantee that anything released for PSU on PS2 and 360 will come to PC to. They either accidently didn't mention it OR it will be downloadable on PC as apposed to a new disk. Because PS2 doesn't support the HD and some 360 owners don't have a HD so they will release disk versions of both.

tank1
Sep 7, 2006, 12:08 PM
If they didnt release the expansion for PC it would defy the point of linking it to the PS2 like people have said its most likely just a typo.

Ryna
Sep 7, 2006, 12:08 PM
There was no mention of a PC version in the Gamefront article. However, it can be assumed that it will be coming out for the PC too.

Shiwayari
Sep 7, 2006, 12:53 PM
I think that the expansion will be downloadable for pc.
The only reason there is a CD for 360 and PS2 is because it couldn't possibly be saved on a mem card, i think.

btw. do you think they will add the expansion to the actual full game disc for US and EU releases?
cuz i think it would be really wierd for the expansion to come out the same day as the game..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shiwayari on 2006-09-07 10:54 ]</font>

NightHour13
Sep 7, 2006, 01:00 PM
I heard somewhere that all of the future stuff is already on the disk and just needs to be "unlocked" by sega some how.

Yeah thats a pretty far fetched idea, I musta dreamt it.

Jozon
Sep 7, 2006, 01:09 PM
or made it up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

sigseven
Sep 7, 2006, 01:35 PM
On 2006-09-07 11:00, NightHour13 wrote:
I heard somewhere that all of the future stuff is already on the disk and just needs to be "unlocked" by sega some how.

Was Blue Burst's US launch a dream of yours too?

SephYuyX
Sep 7, 2006, 03:02 PM

Youd be surprized how many software companies do that..

For example.. the program we use to do accounting here was updated to a new version a year ago.. I think it was 8 > 9, and all I had to do was pop the CD in, put the registration code in, and the new version was ready. No installing, no downloaded files, no nothing but a password.

It's actually a fairly common practice for companies to do, to make some extra $.

sp

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-09-07 13:04 ]</font>

Pure-chan
Sep 8, 2006, 03:33 AM

It's not really all that far-fetched. Every console build of PSO had all future content stored to the disc.

PSO was originally designed for Dreamcast, then ported onto other systems. The limited memory capacity for memory cards on consoles prevents the game from patching in new areas and missions later during the life cycle of the product.

This is the reason that you could find players with hacked versions of various ring colors, unreleased music discs and weapons like True Nei's, long before the content was released onto the server. All of the content was already on the disc waiting to be unlocked.

I'm trying to understand how ST announcing "Phantasy Star Universe: Illumines no Yabou" precludes content being to the disc. The PSU disc contains all of the PSU updates, while the expansion disc contains all of the expansion information. If the content wasn't saved to the disc, there wouldn't be a need for an expansion disc, right? All it would take for new areas to be unlocked is a server update/patch.

I'll go out on a limb here for content still being stored on disc based on the fact that a) SEGA has a long-standing history of storing all online content to disc, b) PSU is still an online title designed for a console - and as such, the memory limitations still hold true and c) Given the MAMMOTH size of the game, at 8+ GB it makes sense that the disc holds more than just story mode, free missions and a client...

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-09-08 01:36 ]</font>