PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Xbox360 Servers

Reclaimer
Sep 7, 2006, 03:21 PM
I just wanted to know: Has it actually been confirmed that the Xbox360 servers will be separate from the PlayStation 2 and PC's?

I ask because in all topics I see regarding this issue, people seem to think, and freely say, that the servers are, indeed, separate. I have not yet seen evidence to support this statement and just wanted to know if anyone else has. If so, I request that you please include a link or source directed to this information. Thank you for your time.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 03:22 PM
No but unless they announce a change VERY soon then it looks like it will be a fact. most people already consider it a fact.

AppieDPC
Sep 7, 2006, 06:43 PM
On 2006-09-07 13:22, parabolee wrote:
No but unless they announce a change VERY soon then it looks like it will be a fact. most people already consider it a fact.

So let's get this straight...
You can't provide a source with confirmation from Sonic Team saying that the servers are indeed seperate? Yet assume like "most people" that the seperation is already a fact? With no source?

The topic starter wants a source, not a request for an announcement to null everybody's assumption. Without a decent source all this could be made up by the playerbase, which seems highly likely after your reply in this topic which provided no source.

Garroway
Sep 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
The way I understand it is that the Xbox 360 servers were originaly planned to be seperate from the PC/PS2 servers. In that E3 interview, the question was asked more as of a confirmation of the seperation, but the official answer was actualy that the decision hadn't been finalised. The word finalised is pretty ambiguous so officialy nobody knows with 100% certainty.

DevilsArm
Sep 7, 2006, 06:54 PM
exactly what garroway said, when sonic team was asked they said the decision isnt finalized

AppieDPC
Sep 7, 2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks.

UniKoRn
Sep 7, 2006, 06:58 PM
It should be quite possible for PSU on Xbox 360 to be connected to the regular PC/PS2 servers...

Just as an example.. Final Fantasy XI for Xbox 360 is connected to the PC and PS2 versions isn't it? So in that case the FF servers would be handled by Square and not Microsoft..

So yeah.. just some thoughts...

Kindaichi
Sep 7, 2006, 07:03 PM
On 2006-09-07 16:58, UniKoRn wrote:
It should be quite possible for PSU on Xbox 360 to be connected to the regular PC/PS2 servers...

Just as an example.. Final Fantasy XI for Xbox 360 is connected to the PC and PS2 versions isn't it? So in that case the FF servers would be handled by Square and not Microsoft..

So yeah.. just some thoughts...

Yes but they could link them because they didnt have any different features. xbox will have voice communication and from what i have heard some other things that the other 2 versions dont have. I dont think they will be linked but i could be totally wrong. I really hope they arnt because it will lag less on 360.

Garroway
Sep 7, 2006, 07:06 PM
We all know that from a technical standpoint it is possible. That's where most of the anticipation is coming from, just because they can doesn't mean they will. It's also possible that they haven't decided yet. We can speculate until the release date but no matter how bad you want to know the answer - we just wont know until they tell us. If they do I'm sure it'll be all over these boards though so I wouldn't worry about not finding out when they do say.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 07:13 PM
So let's get this straight...
You can't provide a source with confirmation from Sonic Team saying that the servers are indeed seperate? Yet assume like "most people" that the seperation is already a fact? With no source?

The topic starter wants a source, not a request for an announcement to null everybody's assumption. Without a decent source all this could be made up by the playerbase, which seems highly likely after your reply in this topic which provided no source.

Ok Mr. Snarky here is a source which says just what I said -

PSOW: Let's talk about the different platforms that PSU will be available on. It was recently announced that PSU would be released for the Xbox 360. We found out shortly afterwards that the plan was to have the Xbox 360 servers separated from the PC and PS2 servers, which have already been confirmed to be linked. Has this decision been finalized?

Takao Miyoshi: It is actually something that is not finalized.

(At this point, we expressed our concern over having the community split up between platforms. Miyoshi-san seemed to understand the concern. We felt that it was good news that this decision has not been finalized yet, as it indicates that they may be reconsidering their previously revealed stance on the Xbox 360 servers. However, we didn't receive any further information on this particular topic.) "

From http://pso-world.com/phantasy-star-universe-e3-2006-takao-miyoshi.php

But since this was back on May 17th and we have had no announcment to contradict this it will probably remain that way. Which is a damn shame I know but that is why most people assume (probably correctly) that they will be seperate just like Xbox PSO.

And there was no need to be rude, he asked if it had been confirmed and I said no, why should I need a source to prove the LACK of confirmation?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: parabolee on 2006-09-07 17:15 ]</font>

Garroway
Sep 7, 2006, 07:32 PM
I didn't realise this was such a touchy subject, geez. I hope that they are linked because that would make my platform decision irrelevant. However I don't know what was meant by the decision being "finalised". It could mean that they were waiting on a simple signature, it could mean that they were in the final stages of testing linked servers. It could mean a lot of things. This is however a question that will be answered within the next couple of months, before we get all worked up about it why don't we wait and see how it plays out. Nobody here is going to look at it as a personnal failure on your part if it didnt go the way you wanted, you're not involved in the decision making process, it is not your success or failure. So settle down already.

AppieDPC
Sep 7, 2006, 07:51 PM
On 2006-09-07 17:13, parabolee wrote:

Ok Mr. Snarky here is a source which says just what I said -

PSOW: Let's talk about the different platforms that PSU will be available on. It was recently announced that PSU would be released for the Xbox 360. We found out shortly afterwards that the plan was to have the Xbox 360 servers separated from the PC and PS2 servers, which have already been confirmed to be linked. Has this decision been finalized?

Takao Miyoshi: It is actually something that is not finalized.

(At this point, we expressed our concern over having the community split up between platforms. Miyoshi-san seemed to understand the concern. We felt that it was good news that this decision has not been finalized yet, as it indicates that they may be reconsidering their previously revealed stance on the Xbox 360 servers. However, we didn't receive any further information on this particular topic.) "

From http://pso-world.com/phantasy-star-universe-e3-2006-takao-miyoshi.php
This actually doesn't say what you said, you already jumped the gun and joined "they will be seperated" bandwagon with:

On 2006-09-07 13:22, parabolee wrote:

As said in that interview it is not finalized. Meaning you can't jump the gun and join the "they will be seperated" bandwagon just yet. Not finalized doesn't mean they have to announce anything for a "change", there is nothing to change, since there is no yes or no. In other words: everything after the word no in your post should be left out.

But since this was back on May 17th and we have had no announcment to contradict this it will probably remain that way. Which is a damn shame I know but that is why most people assume (probably correctly) that they will be seperate just like Xbox PSO.
Answer was "not finalized" and you jump the gun yet again and call it a damn shame they are seperated while "not finalized" were their last words...

And there was no need to be rude, he asked if it had been confirmed and I said no, why should I need a source to prove the LACK of confirmation?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: parabolee on 2006-09-07 17:15 ]</font>

I'll explain why you were supposed to give a source and not the 100th standard reply of a dude in this forum concerning this topic of 360's linked or not servers:

On 2006-09-07 13:21, TetsuyaHShimomura wrote:
I just wanted to know: Has it actually been confirmed that the Xbox360 servers will be separate from the PlayStation 2 and PC's?

I ask because in all topics I see regarding this issue, people seem to think, and freely say, that the servers are, indeed, separate. I have not yet seen evidence to support this statement and just wanted to know if anyone else has. If so, I request that you please include a link or source directed to this information. Thank you for your time.

That's why.

Now the reason I got "snarky" is rather simple: Garroway and DevilsArm answered the OP's question properly, you did not. OP requested a source, Garroway pointed to the interview. That I like.

And yeah Garroway we aren't involved in the decisions of ST, but the OP and me too did want to know on which the assumptions of many people on this board that 360 was seperate were based. Now we know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-09-07 17:55 ]</font>

Tystys
Sep 7, 2006, 07:53 PM
Meh, sooner or later they'll probably post it on the site. Although, I highly doubt that the 360 version will be seperate from PC and PS2. They've already linked games like FFXI to their PC/PS2 counterparts....why not with PSU?

Tankster
Sep 7, 2006, 08:22 PM
On 2006-09-07 17:53, Tystys wrote:
Meh, sooner or later they'll probably post it on the site. Although, I highly doubt that the 360 version will be seperate from PC and PS2. They've already linked games like FFXI to their PC/PS2 counterparts....why not with PSU?

Well, i think they will definately be separate, because of exclusive voice chat and because they havent released the Xbox 360 version in Japan yet so... It probably means that IF the servers were joined then they would have the same launch date. makes sense...

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 08:27 PM
If the servers aren't segregated... I'll cry.

A cry of joy btw.. >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-07 18:31 ]</font>

Kindaichi
Sep 7, 2006, 08:54 PM
Same..I dont want joined servers, 360 will have enough players for a strong community and we wont lag nearly as much.

parabolee
Sep 7, 2006, 08:57 PM
AppieDPC dude you have attacked me for no reason! He asked a question and I gave him a quick answer, sorry i didn't have time to give a long in-depth answer at the time. The answer I gave was correct, and I didn't state it was a fact only that it looked likely to be a fact. Your huge post trying to dissect my 2 sentence post was unfair. He asked why people "freely say, that the servers are, indeed, separate." and that he has "not yet seen evidence to support this statement and just wanted to know if anyone else has. If so, I request that you please include a link or source directed to this information. " let me highlight the important part for you

IF So

Get that "IF SO. So since the answer was no I had no reason to source it. He was looking for a source that said it was a fact and my reply was that IT HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED AS A FACT therfore NO SOURCE NEEDED!!

I never jumped the gun and said "they will be seperate" as you claimed. I said that it will "probably remain that way. Which is a damn shame." You see that word "probably"? So why attack me because my opinion of what is going to happen is different to what you (and I) hope happens.

Your barking up the wrong tree by riling against me on the 360 server connection, I have been a huge supporter of a linked server, in fact if you look into older threads you will find a huge thread that I started saying that the 360 servers SHOULD be connected to the PC and PS2 servers. But I am being realistic and think that if SEGA had decided to link them at this point (being VERY close to release) they would have announced something.

I really really hope they do decide to link them, I would be VERY happy about it, BUT I think at this point it looks unlikely (GAIN NOT STATING AS A FACT BUT AS AN OPINION!!!).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: parabolee on 2006-09-07 19:02 ]</font>

Natrokos
Sep 7, 2006, 11:30 PM
I want them linked too but that's mostly wishful thinking.

AppieDPC
Sep 8, 2006, 07:30 AM
Parabolee w/e.
Thanks again Garroway for providing a decent answer for the OP.

edit:loltypo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-09-08 05:32 ]</font>

zandra117
Sep 8, 2006, 07:48 AM
I dont care if they are seperated or not, I'll get the 360 anyway. The only thing I'm concerned about is who is managing the servers for the 360 version, on PSOX neither sega nor microsoft would accept responsibility of the servers, that's why it's so messed up.

Alisha
Sep 8, 2006, 07:52 AM
On 2006-09-07 18:54, Kindaichi wrote:
Same..I dont want joined servers, 360 will have enough players for a strong community and we wont lag nearly as much.

ROFL!

first of all the 360 doesnt have anywhere near the installed base of a pc or ps2.

2nd tell me how it is that the 360 version will lag less when it has a program(xbox live) running in the background?

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 08:03 AM
On 2006-09-08 05:30, AppieDPC wrote:
Parabolee w/e.
Thanks again Garroway for providing a decent answer for the OP.

edit:loltypo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-09-08 05:32 ]</font>

Spoken like a true person in the wrong. Nice to know you are man enough to incorrectly and unfairly attack someone (with a HUGE post) and then not man enough to admit the mistake or apologise (or even bother to type out "whatever").

Calibur
Sep 8, 2006, 08:03 AM
On 2006-09-07 18:54, Kindaichi wrote:
360 will have enough players for a strong community

Thats a wait and see situation as of right now, I mean X-box PSO was deadville...

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 08:13 AM
There was plenty of people in PSO-X when I played. We had a 100+ member legit community too!

Maybe you came into it months after release but even then I always had plenty of people to play with.

I had just as much fun on PSO-X as I did on PSO GC (which was a slightly better version and better community).

Valkayree
Sep 8, 2006, 09:26 AM
On 2006-09-07 16:58, UniKoRn wrote:

It can be connected, but then you can wave bye bye to voice chat, the exact reason why I am going with 360, because what good is voice chat if half the people in your server are mute?

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 09:30 AM
This is true, Valkayree.

Unless youi do what I proposed, which was a seperate server/ship/area for voice chat only players, that way the PS2 and PC could add voice chat support (I mean why not? other games have it) and the people who want voice chat could all play together regardless of system and people who prefer keyboard chat could do the same.

Valkayree
Sep 8, 2006, 09:32 AM
On 2006-09-08 06:03, Calibur wrote:

Thats a wait and see situation as of right now, I mean X-box PSO was deadville...

I'd like to know how many years after the games release on the xbox were you playing... I played PSOX from the xbox day of release up to two and a half years later before my xbox exploded, and it was far from deadville. Apatite was always crowded if nothing else, and I never had trouble finding party members at ANY time. Maybe deadville for you is populatedville for me, cause if that was deadville I experienced on PSOX, then they were the living dead because there were a lot of em. If that was the case, then thats just creepy.

Valkayree
Sep 8, 2006, 09:40 AM
On 2006-09-08 07:30, parabolee wrote:
This is true, Valkayree.

Unless youi do what I proposed, which was a seperate server/ship/area for voice chat only players, that way the PS2 and PC could add voice chat support (I mean why not? other games have it) and the people who want voice chat could all play together regardless of system and people who prefer keyboard chat could do the same.

Right, because the last thing I want to do is to have private chat up while talking to just one person like I did in FFXI when I wish I could talk to the whole group.

mitchm
Sep 8, 2006, 09:41 AM
i hope they are separated... would be a good reason for them making PSU on the 360 FREE. Think about it... PS2 and PC dont have to pay for online service but they pay for the PSU Hunters Liscence every month... where as the 360 already pay for online and are separated from the others, what would be the point of separation if it is. If everything was the same on all consoles why not connect them all? it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense. why separate it and make two servers? when one would be cheaper wouldnt it? the only reason i can think of is maybe to many people on one server and needed two... i dont know though...

Valkayree
Sep 8, 2006, 10:05 AM
On 2006-09-08 07:41, mitchm wrote:
i hope they are separated... would be a good reason for them making PSU on the 360 FREE.

Don't kid yourself. No matter what the server situation, it won't be free, or we would not get support and/or new content without paying something. They charged for PSOX and people played, so why would they stop charging for PSU on 360 when they could make more money to pay more employees to make the 360 server better and more supported. Thats like finding a hundred dollar bill on the ground and saying, "Well, my family is starving, but eh, I'll pass this one up." I am really going to hate to hop on here and say I told you so once the game releases.

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 10:22 AM
PSU on Xbox 360 will cost a monthly fee, but you DO NOT need an Xbox GOLD account. Microsoft have said in the past that MMORPG and other online games that require a monthly fee will only require an Xbox Silver account, so for those wanting to play PSU on 360 but have no interest in other online games on 360, you don't have to pay any more than everone else on PC or PS2.

(note: this has not been confirmed as a fact yet but is my opinion.)

AppieDPC
Sep 8, 2006, 04:26 PM
On 2006-09-08 06:03, parabolee wrote:

Spoken like a true person in the wrong. Nice to know you are man enough to incorrectly and unfairly attack someone (with a HUGE post) and then not man enough to admit the mistake or apologise (or even bother to type out "whatever").

LOL! You know what's funny, I was gonna provide another long post instead of the "w/e" post, but seeing how it would just repeat my last post in different words I decided not to waste my time on it. Especially when the long post was already overkill to get my point across to start with.

My opinion remains unchanged: your reply to the OP added jackshit, Garroway's did add something. I'm not going to apologize for anything.

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Sep 8, 2006, 04:44 PM
Here's an interesting tidbit from the Phantasy Star Universe website.

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/news_gameid.php

While the billing system for Phantasy Star Universe is not completed, PC and PS2 users can get an edge on the rest by setting up a Game ID today. Creating a Game ID early will allow you to be one step closer to joining the online festivities once the game is released!

Setting up a Game ID is easy and doesn't require any payment details.

Note: If you are a Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst player, your Game ID can be used to purchase a subscription to Phantasy Star Universe; you do not need to create a second profile.

Note it doesn't include signup for an Xbox 360 account. Could it be true? No Hunter's License?!?

Saner
Sep 8, 2006, 05:34 PM
umm Hunters Guild doesn't exist in PSU.

Guardians is the occupation players are now. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

so Game ID, Guardian's License, Hunter's License. same thing I guess. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kindaichi
Sep 8, 2006, 05:37 PM
OH crap the rumor might be right.

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 06:53 PM
LOL! You know what's funny, I was gonna provide another long post instead of the "w/e" post, but seeing how it would just repeat my last post in different words I decided not to waste my time on it. Especially when the long post was already overkill to get my point across to start with.

No what's funny is how you think being offensive towards people on a message board is acceptable behaviour.

And the fact you were going to repeat your last post despite the fact I cleary pointed out how wrong you were is shamefull. He asked if it was confirmed and I said that it hadn't been. Question answered, I was at work and didn't have time to post an in-detail reply on why it has not been confirmed and source the lack of confirmation (which he only asked for if it HAD been confirmed). How shamefull, well at least I'm not someone who thinks being verbally abusive on a message board is better than posting an aswer without having time to go into detail.

McLaughlin
Sep 8, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-09-08 14:44, MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit from the Phantasy Star Universe website.

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/news_gameid.php

While the billing system for Phantasy Star Universe is not completed, PC and PS2 users can get an edge on the rest by setting up a Game ID today. Creating a Game ID early will allow you to be one step closer to joining the online festivities once the game is released!

Setting up a Game ID is easy and doesn't require any payment details.

Note: If you are a Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst player, your Game ID can be used to purchase a subscription to Phantasy Star Universe; you do not need to create a second profile.

Note it doesn't include signup for an Xbox 360 account. Could it be true? No Hunter's License?!?

They'll probably just bill the Creidt Card your Gamertag is linked to, like they did with PSOX.

MoNoMaTe_MoNkEy
Sep 8, 2006, 08:24 PM
That could be a possibility Zeta, however I am keeping my fingers crossed either for no license required with a Live Gold Subscription, or no license entirely.

On another note, Parabolee and AppieDPC, either keep your arguments via private messages, or else the moderators will come take care of both of you.

AppieDPC
Sep 9, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hey np, PM's go!
Dunno why I bother though XD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AppieDPC on 2006-09-09 12:54 ]</font>

Chaobo99
Sep 9, 2006, 03:29 PM
The thing is, on PSO-X, they released in months after PSO GC.......Therefore, people who anticipate PSO went to GC.1 month later, they ANNOUNCED PSO-X...
With PSU, they release on the same day and people already know about it. second, sega has there own server. Xbox live is ONLY in the background but has nothing to do with anything. It's just a name for xbox to get online...well, unless you're playing halo, it's a different story...