PDA

View Full Version : PSU: crisis of PSU

bay_sun
Sep 7, 2006, 10:38 PM
I am PSU user in Japan.
My English is unskilled.
However, I want to say the crisis of PSU to you.

I want you to see this. http://ps2.ign.com/articles/730/730404p1.html

It is actually more important.

A lot of bugs occur.
Most users cannot log it in.
Even if it is fortunately possible to log it in, it is cut soon.
It is said that it is lucky if the character can be made.
There is a server stop by maintenance many times.
Moreover, the schedule is delayed without fail.
It did not seem to have improved every day though it maintained.
The server cannot be expected to become normal in October.

There are a lot of people who return the commodity because PSU is defective
goods.

You think that you looked forward to PSU. We also. However, it was
betrayed.

I want you to tell it to a lot of people who look forward to PSU.

JAFO22000
Sep 7, 2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the warning, however I feel they will fix the servers eventually. Even if it takes a couple of months after launch, we will still have the offline modes to keep us happy...

phunk
Sep 7, 2006, 10:42 PM
On 2006-09-07 20:40, JAFO22000 wrote:
Thanks for the warning, however I feel they will fix the servers eventually. Even if it takes a couple of months after launch, we will still have the offline modes to keep us happy...

^

Kindaichi
Sep 7, 2006, 10:43 PM
I have faith it will be perfect come oct.24 and we can all get a taste of psu goodness.

Kyuu
Sep 7, 2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, but, you're NOT PAYING for the online service. You're not even using up your free month. You can still play offline in Story Mode and Extra Modes if you can't, or don't want to, get online. The game itself is not defective. The online servers are having serious problems, and you basically get to beta test for a month while they're fixing everything up. I dunno about you, but to me that's better than if the game had simply been delayed a month.

Natrokos
Sep 7, 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm not too worried. Every game has bugs, they will fix it.

JAFO22000
Sep 7, 2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah!! This guy has the game in his native language, and he's complaining about it!! If I had an English version of PSU, I'd just play the crap out of it until the servers were ready...

Blueblur
Sep 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
The Japanese are spoiled!... No, I was kidding.

Thanks for stopping by, bay_sun. We already know about what's been going on. Hopefully Sega will fix the servers in time for the North America release.

Chaobo99
Sep 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
Yeah, you should wait for the servers to clear. It wont be like that forever. I mean. Maybe UPON release the server won't be ready within the minute but they will be ready (^_^)

Alielle
Sep 7, 2006, 10:55 PM
I had a feeling that the first month or so would basically be a beta test, which is one of many reasons I didn't import.

Nika
Sep 7, 2006, 11:00 PM
I think the problem is SEGA don't have server large enough to contain all people from both PS2 and PC from both jp and some importers. That is why he separated the server to JP/US/EU. So. now the probelm can only be fix with larger server which need a lot of fund and time. So I think it isn't a easy problem to fix.

Garroway
Sep 7, 2006, 11:08 PM
Things are usualy pretty chaotic in the beginning so it might be a little too soon to pass judgement on the game. Of course how many times was it delayed? You would think that we could see a little more stability after pushing things back as far as they did. I'm hoping things will be a little more stable by the North American release.

Nisshoku
Sep 7, 2006, 11:12 PM
I really don't see why people would return PSU, since there is only minimal trouble with Network Mode currently.

Speaking as a english-speaking player on PSU, I see those around me who do fret about problems with Network mode.

It has only been released a little more than a week. And I believe that Sega didn't expect such a big turn-out, which is why they are scrambling to currently fix the problem of the Network Mode.

Story Mode and Extra Mode are also great parts to the game as well, which are some I also enjoy. Even despite problems currently, I know many people who still wish to play this game, as most network games go through rough starts.

I say enjoy PSU's other qualities, as network mode's problems will be rectified soon.

Kyuu
Sep 7, 2006, 11:15 PM
You would think that we could see a little more stability after pushing things back as far as they did. I'm hoping things will be a little more stable by the North American release.At no time were they able to hire 120,000 testers to stress-test their servers. The delays were to polish out the game itself and, possibly, to give time to build a better server system. This is the reason why MMOs pretty much always have problems: they have no way to test or predict how the server hardware and software will react with the game when it's put under a severe amount of stress, and so can't really do much about it until after the game is actually released.

Kuzzle
Sep 7, 2006, 11:15 PM
I could deal with some server issues when PSU gets released over here. Maybe then I'll actually get to play through story mode! XD

Inazuma
Sep 7, 2006, 11:16 PM
ドンマイ ドンマイ ^^
それでもPSUは一番大好きなゲームだ。

お互い頑張ろうぜ (^_^)/

Kindaichi
Sep 7, 2006, 11:16 PM
For the first time im glad a game came out in japan before NA, We probally wont have to deal with half the crap they are.

Kyuu
Sep 7, 2006, 11:20 PM
On 2006-09-07 21:16, Inazuma wrote:
ドンマイ ドンマイ ^^
それでもPSUは一番大好きなゲームだ。

お互い頑張ろうぜ (^_^)/
o_0 What did you say to him?

Kirashi
Sep 7, 2006, 11:22 PM
Bay_sun:
anata ha mou kocchi ga konai kamishiremasennka
demo, hanashitai koto ha hanasanakereba nannka shikarishinaiyone
phantasy star universe no mae no phantasy star online no sabi-su anata ha mo gozonnjideshou. dakara konnna koto attamo fushigi ha naiyone
netto ge-mu to iu mono ha fukuzatsu namono. ikkai dake de dekirumonodeha arimasenn. sega no official beta test ha 1kkagetsu mo suginakatta desuyone. sore yori, 1mann 3zenn hito dage no tesuto deshitakara, bagu ya stress wo subete kataduku wage ha naiyo!
ore ha sou iu demo jitsu ha fumann shiteruyo. demo konnna toki ni ha matsushikanai. hokano ii ge-mu mo ippai arudesou.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kirashi on 2006-09-07 21:30 ]</font>

ok i give up -_- typing japanese with safari or firefox on mac does not work with this forum

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kirashi on 2006-09-07 21:37 ]</font>

Cross
Sep 7, 2006, 11:24 PM
I agree with bay_sun. This service is just simply terrible. I believed when the servers first started to have problems that they had just neglected to do a stress test. That's still unprofessional and sloppy, but it's reasonable. Since then, though, the scheduled maintenance has gone on for more than twice as long as it was scheduled for, a day hasn't gone by without emergency maintenance, and even when the servers are up, on average you're wasting at least a half hour repeatedly trying to log in before you can play, unless you don't have a job or school to go to and are home during Japanese downtime.

If the problems are this severe, then this goes beyond "unforeseeable circumstances". They completely neglected to create stable server software and didn't do any large-scale testing.

Unless this maintenance lifts the restriction on simultaneous logins entirely, I'd definitely say that this is among the worst online game launches in history. This isn't "not smooth" or "they're trying their best". This is "the server has been down more often than it's been up, and they fucked up their testing".

It's really a shame, because PSU is a well-designed, fun game, and when you can play it, it lives up to all expectations. That doesn't change the fact that the servers have been grossly mismanaged.

Edit:

On 2006-09-07 21:15, Kyuu wrote:
This is the reason why MMOs pretty much always have problems: they have no way to test or predict how the server hardware and software will react with the game when it's put under a severe amount of stress,

"Open beta".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-09-07 21:27 ]</font>

peenk
Sep 7, 2006, 11:27 PM
Cross nailed it.

Chaobo99
Sep 7, 2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, Cross got it on most or even all points (-_-;)

bay_sun
Sep 7, 2006, 11:32 PM
I have already told the problem.

I pray for ... you do not regret.

uhawww
Sep 7, 2006, 11:43 PM
Cross makes probably the best assumption, where the server software and system is not stable under these conditions.
It was a critical blunder of Sega to assume that SEGAlink, an online community only months old, could handle maintaining the information of it's own design, on top of supporting PSU as an additional service as opposed to building a rigid and dedicated system for it.
If they can iron the issues out, then more power to them, as PSU is a kick-ass product that absolutely must be followed up on and kept.

I, for one, still do not regret for one second importing, however...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-07 21:45 ]</font>

watashiwa
Sep 7, 2006, 11:44 PM
You know what's funny? PSU not being advertised around here is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, we won't have nearly the population the Japanese game has.. on the other hand, our login server won't be jammed not even probably close to a 10th of the Japanese server's. Therefore, everybody will be able to get on.. and everybody will be happy.

You'll probably see Japanese people importing the North American version.. just so they can play the game online..

Sev
Sep 8, 2006, 12:03 AM
It'll work out.

-Shimarisu-
Sep 8, 2006, 12:27 AM
What are you trying to do here exactly bay sun, try to stop people playing the game?

Kyuu
Sep 8, 2006, 12:32 AM
On 2006-09-07 21:24, Cross wrote:

I agree with bay_sun. This service is just simply terrible. I believed when the servers first started to have problems that they had just neglected to do a stress test. That's still unprofessional and sloppy, but it's reasonable. Since then, though, the scheduled maintenance has gone on for more than twice as long as it was scheduled for, a day hasn't gone by without emergency maintenance, and even when the servers are up, on average you're wasting at least a half hour repeatedly trying to log in before you can play, unless you don't have a job or school to go to and are home during Japanese downtime.
Cry me a river. If you were paying anything, maybe then it'd be a real issue.

Sega realized they had a big problem, and they're rectifying it. Not only that, but they're not charging you for a full month while they work to get the servers running smoothly. What else do you want? What would be the difference between this and them delaying the game for another month to do an open beta massive enough to really stress test the servers? Not much, except that you'd only be able to play on the problematic beta servers every so often during the beta, and wouldn't get to play the Story or Extra modes the rest of the time.

Sega is handling this very responsibly. They didn't have to give you free anything, or do their best to rectify the problem as best and quickly as they could. They're doing both, which is very good service. You must've never worked in retail, because otherwise you'd hate customers who got all in a huffy about every problem that comes up. Problems happen. Good service isn't preventing every possible problem.

And look at the bright side. You can take this time to test out race/class combinations you otherwise wouldn't, or, I dunno, go outside for another month before you spend every waking moment in front of your TV/monitor desperately searching for rares.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-07 22:43 ]</font>

watashiwa
Sep 8, 2006, 12:38 AM
On 2006-09-07 22:32, Kyuu wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot we didn't pay for the retail box with the media and key code to play the game online.

Sev
Sep 8, 2006, 12:38 AM
On 2006-09-07 22:32, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-09-07 21:24, Cross wrote:

Sega realized they had a big problem, and they're rectifying it. Not only that, but they're not charging you for a full month while they work to get the servers running smoothly. What else do you want? What would be the difference between this and them delaying the game for another month to do an open beta massive enough to really stress test the servers? Not much, except that you'd only be able to play on the problematic beta servers every so often during the beta, and wouldn't get to play the Story or Extra modes the rest of the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-07 22:34 ]</font>

Would crying a pond work? A rivers pretty big, but I think a pond would work nicely. Ponds normally have ducks too, people could feed the ducks to relieve their depression. It's a great idea. I know it's a great idea, because I'm a great person afterall.

Ok... Enough with that. I understand where you're coming from with being upset the launch didn't work out. But you're not paying anything extra while they're working out the problems, and you still have a pretty decent amount of the game at your disposal, more then I have that's for damn sure. The only real reason I could see to be upset here, is if you got the game just to play Online, not worrying about the story because your Japanese isn't that great.

In which case, it simply sucks to be you.

Kyuu
Sep 8, 2006, 12:44 AM
On 2006-09-07 22:38, watashiwa wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot we didn't pay for the retail box with the media and key code to play the game online.
You're right. You payed for the retail box with media and key code.

You didn't pay for any online service.

You would've payed for the box full of paper and plastic disks whether it was released now or later. Plus, if you're like most people, you probably preordered. So, I don't see where you're actually out any money.

And you're one better than you would be with most MMOs: there's offline content.

On 2006-09-07 22:38, Sev wrote:

Ok... Enough with that. I understand where you're coming from with being upset the launch didn't work out. But you're not paying anything extra while they're working out the problems, and you still have a pretty decent amount of the game at your disposal, more then I have that's for damn sure. The only real reason I could see to be upset here, is if you got the game just to play Online, not worrying about the story because your Japanese isn't that great.

In which case, it simply sucks to be you.
Said it better than I did. Except, even if your Japanese sucks, there's still Extra Mode.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-07 22:50 ]</font>

Cross
Sep 8, 2006, 02:19 AM
On 2006-09-07 22:44, Kyuu wrote:
Plus, if you're like most people, you probably preordered. So, I don't see where you're actually out any money.

I would have immediately canceled my pre-order after seeing the servers like this, and I'd decide whether or not to go through the trouble of importing at the end of the beta based on whether things had actually improved.

And you're one better than you would be with most MMOs: there's offline content.

Said it better than I did. Except, even if your Japanese sucks, there's still Extra Mode.

Hahahahaha, yeah. The amazing offline content. Because I would sure as hell pay nearly double the cost of any other game (after the extra fees that importing incurs) for an RPG that's half as long as every other RPG on the market and has maybe a fourth as much story content.
I played through Story Mode already. In fact, nearly twice. It's got some cool story scenes, but the story doesn't cover much period.

Extra Mode and Free Missions are just a neutered version of Online mode that isn't any fun. The fact that anybody thinks that we should be "happy" with that waste of time in place of being able to play online just goes to show how you shouldn't be allowed to cheerlead Sega's screwups unless you've actually played the damn game. Those game modes are just so lackluster that I really can't fathom anybody actually trying them and still saying that sort of thing.

That said, I can log on at the moment. However, it's only 4pm in Japan, and primetime isn't for another few hours (that I can't stay up for tonight). If I can log on consistently at primetime, and they stop having emergency maintenance every day for four hours, and don't have to double the scheduled maintenance anymore, then I'll admit that they have turned around one of the worst launches I've ever seen into something acceptable - but it doesn't change the fact that the launch was absolutely unprofessional, and anyone who bought the game and is now complaining is completely justified.

It may have just been my imagination, but the monsters in-game tonight seemed much less in-synch than they used to be. I hope they haven't decided to loosen up the server's synchronization to alleviate the load, but I'm going to be optimistic and believe for the time being that I was either imagining things or there's some additional lag on my end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-09-08 00:19 ]</font>

Saner
Sep 8, 2006, 02:39 AM
*kisses money* thank goodness I wasn't crazy enough to import. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

don't worry both regions versions will be improved over time.

Sega and Sonic Team won't leave these as they are.

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 8, 2006, 02:47 AM
man people bitch too much.. i play a game i pay for errors or not...

Garroway
Sep 8, 2006, 02:57 AM
We'll just have to see how it plays out. With any luck they'll get most of the glaring inadequacies ironed out before the North American launch and this will all be mute.

Kyuu
Sep 8, 2006, 03:05 AM
No one said you should be happy with it. Some people just think you're overreacting, because you are. It's one thing to make a legitimate complaint, and quite another to go on about how your life is over and Sega is the worst company ever who only exists to screw you over.

You knew that there was going to be an NA release only a couple months after the JP release. You knew there was the possibility of some serious problems to start with (if you've ever played or even read about any MMO ever). There's kind of an assumed risk importing under those circumstances. Sometimes when you take a risk, you lose.

watashiwa
Sep 8, 2006, 03:27 AM
On 2006-09-07 22:44, Kyuu wrote:
You're right. You payed for the retail box with media and key code.

You didn't pay for any online service.

You would've payed for the box full of paper and plastic disks whether it was released now or later. Plus, if you're like most people, you probably preordered. So, I don't see where you're actually out any money.

Are you kidding me? You have to be kidding me. You really can't be this ignorant, can you?

OF COURSE we paid for the online service. The online service is one of the key selling points for PSU. It's one of the things Sonic Team has hyped up the most and is an important part of the product.

You have to understand that with PSU, there is no "FREE TRIAL" as people like to call it. You cannot simply just get a copy of PSU, for example a download like World of Warcraft or Phantasy Star Blue Burst, and be entitled to 30 free days just like that. You have to BUY THE GAME. The 30 days of online play are included with the purchase. It is actually a PART OF the purchase. They are not FREE.

Sega has taken the money from the people who have purchased the game. Even on the box it says 30 days of online play are included. (Once again, meaning they are NOT FREE..)

It's true that, say, they've set this month as a period for testing.. but their official service starts in October 1st now. If these problems persist and people are not able to utilize the 30 days of online play that came INCLUDED WITH THE PURCHASE PRICE of the game, then there IS something severely wrong.

Some Japanese players in Japan, as the original poster was saying, have returned their products as defective, because the box promised them the ability to go online... yet they can't. And, yes, the majority of the people who purchase this game purchase it FOR the online mode.. not to be stuck offline single player all day.

PSU isn't a game where you can just download it and get a free trial for 30 days regardless of who you are. You have to fork over the money first for 30 days of play then continue to play afterward.. The people who are currently playing on the servers have paid to play online, either way you look at it. It was all a part of the fee when they bought the game.

If there were any players who did not buy the game, enjoying the online service, then yes, they got on for free .. but as of right now, no, there is nobody playing online for free.. period. And you can't say the 30 days that are included in the purchase were extended either.. because there is no guarantee you're going to get online.

If you continue to sing the tune of "This is what you should have expected" or "Sometimes you lose for importing" come October 1st when the official service starts and peoples' included 30 days start being deducted when they haven't even been able to get online to play, then you're just being a moron.. because at that point then their money IS being wasted.. the money they've paid to play the game online with.. the money they spent on the game and box which has the 30 days of online play INCLUDED.. (Not free..)

LetLoveBleed
Sep 8, 2006, 03:29 AM
When Japan PSOBB came out, which I was on, there were bugs in the game and the general thoughts of people who did'nt import/download the game, was... the bugs will all be ironed out for the North America/Eu release.

This was Not the case...... there were a lot of bugs and roll backs and constant complaints about the western release.

Just need to look at the official psobb boards.

With any online game theres a high risk of defects/glitches being found as players play on mass.

The thing is ...if you sell a game as being online, you do expect that function to be readily available with the expectation of some downtime.

Sega....recalling the Gamecube 1.0 fiasco with the game disc being recalled and now this have a very poor track record.

Most people buy an online game...to play online with it.

Just lets all hope it does improve and they don't need to do a recall of the PSU disc as well.

Spellbinder
Sep 8, 2006, 03:42 AM
Has everyone forgotten that Sega pretty much said "Ok, we made a mistake. Let us take time out in September to fix it, and we'll give you October for free on us."

Excerpts from the translation of the JP PSU news 9/04/06

-Throughout the month of September, we will monitor the game's operation and immediately tackle any problem that may arise.

-October 1: Official service will restart. All players will have their free month renewed (Ending November 1)

Incumbent upon the forseen success of our tests, all players who have registered their game key will have their free 30 day period reset.

See? We did get something for free. Or maybe I don't get around enough, but I've never played an MMO where the company not only admits to their mistake, but compensates with a free month. Normally companies just go "oh well, we'll fix it eventually," and let players just sit there miserable, pestered with bugs and glitches while still paying but not getting the service they expected. Why can't people just be happy this company actually fixes their bugs, rather than complaining or gloating with "oh I'm so glad I didn't import."

Import or not, the situation is not permanent. Bugs and errors will be fixed, and the game will stabilize. When that happens, the importers can play and be happy with their JP PSU, and US players can play and be happy when they get their release. And don't be shocked if the first day of US release isn't silky smooth just because Sega of Japan is taking time out to get all the kinks worked out for itself.

So can we all just relax, shut up, and let SEGA do its job?

LetLoveBleed
Sep 8, 2006, 03:47 AM
You should have been around to tell the importers on Gamecube ep 1 and 2 to relax and shut up....

when Sega recalled the disc and split the servers into two (1.0, 1.1)

You may have got out alive...lol

watashiwa
Sep 8, 2006, 03:52 AM
On 2006-09-08 01:42, Spellbinder wrote:
See? We did get something for free.

No one really got anything for free. The 30 days you get when you buy the game aren't free from the get go, as I said in my post. You're entitled to them with your purchase of the game. It's not a "free trial". It's included in the purchase price.

They're including more time because people aren't able to use the time they've included due to all the problems. Simple as that.

Zeota
Sep 8, 2006, 03:56 AM
Well put, wata - very well put.
Am I upset that things are in their current state? Absolutely. Like a good number of us here, I've waited 2 years for this, and it breaks my heart that myself and others are constantly being denied the one thing that brought us to the dance - the online play.

But do I regret importing? HELL NO!

Even if I knew last december what I know now, I STILL would have imported. I'd do it all again.

Of course every online game has its bumpy beginnings, but "bumps" isn't a very accurate word. And how quickly we forget this isn't Sega's first go at this. I'm sure even the veteran MMOG network administrators would be hard-pressed to sympathize with Sega.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel as though these daily 2-3 hour maintenances are achieving NOTHING in the long run. The "myroom" concept is nothing new in online games. FFXI and EQ2 (and CoH/CoV to a larger extent) have this sort of thing, and you never hear about THEM crashing everyday or causing "body swaps", so I see no reason why Sega can't execute this portion properly.

Nika
Sep 8, 2006, 04:03 AM
If the problems are this severe, then this goes beyond "unforeseeable circumstances". They completely neglected to create stable server software and didn't do any large-scale testing.
They are doing it right now (this month = large scale testing)
I will tell you that they underestimate the number of domain. They fear that if they creat too large server and no player then they will collapse. So, they should realize now that the server is too small and try to make bigger server.
But still, I think they may afriad of people who return the game (if they create new large server for 100,000,while most player already quite and return the game = collapse)

Hotsuma
Sep 8, 2006, 04:08 AM
Well if it has bugs, oh well... I think most of us who have played PSO GC have gotten use to restarting characters 5 million times due to corruption, it's not a big deal, PHantasy Star online series is a type of series where even if you get crapped out of your character and it gets erased, you have a bitch fit and you just get over it and do it all over again because it's THAT good and fun, and it doesn't take 2 fucking years to do anything like some MMO's or other online RPGs... *cough FFXI cough* >.>; So I don't give a crap about bugs or what now, I've waited long enough for the game, I just want to have some PSU goodness, if it craps out my friends get to have some fun watching me go insane and screaming at the TV or Computer screeen >.> and then I'll just shrug it off and continue, either way the offline mode doesn't seem to have bugs no? So if you can't take the bugs simply play it offline, me though... I can't wait for it to come out, and I'ma have fun corrupting 5 million times 'cause I love Phantasy Star <3 so thanks for the warnings and concerns but... it's not like the series has EVER been stable so.. I'm use to it. Can't cry over spilled milk, just have some fun with it and try to be patient with SEGA, they'll figure it out EVENTUALLY. (b'-')b And.. hurray for an expansion already before the game has even come out in the U.S. >.> That's SEGA for you they don't like to ait to start working on projects lol... good 'ol SEGA gotta love those crazy mofos, anyway just wanted to add my 2-cents, peace.

Sev
Sep 8, 2006, 04:30 AM
The game is having trouble. They're fixing it.

They aren't taking anything away from you. You can disagree if you want, but it's the truth. If you think there shouldn't have been any problems to begin with, that's your own opinion. However, know that it's an opinion and nothing more. Sometimes, things don't work out the way you intended them to. In that case, you just have to hope that responsibility is taken. Sega is taking responsibility for their mistake.

If you wanna take the game back, that's fine. If you feel you don't wanna buy the game, that's fine too. But honestly, there's no need to keep voicing the same complaints. I know it's pointless for me to say that, because people will always try to find something to be unsatisfied with... But they're trying to fix their mistake. That's all they can do. They can't go back in time and change the way the launch happened.

I hope there's no problems with the NA and EU releases. If there are, I hope ST deal with them in the same manner.

ShadowNeo
Sep 8, 2006, 04:34 AM
If they had not been as open and apologetic with the problems as they have been, I would probably have a different opinion, but I'm fine with that they are doing at the moment.

If the servers aren't up, I just go and do something else, no biggie.

Tetsuro
Sep 8, 2006, 04:38 AM
it's not like the series has EVER been stable
Boy if that aint the truth! Takes me back to the Dreamcast days, and if anyone played that version than you know PSO had some serious issues. I hate to say it, but part of the fun on DC was the fact that you were always living on the edge, not knowing when or where your character would be corrupted.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tetsuro on 2006-09-08 02:40 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Sep 8, 2006, 07:27 AM
On 2006-09-08 01:52, watashiwa wrote:

On 2006-09-08 01:42, Spellbinder wrote:
See? We did get something for free.

No one really got anything for free. The 30 days you get when you buy the game aren't free from the get go, as I said in my post. You're entitled to them with your purchase of the game. It's not a "free trial". It's included in the purchase price.

They're including more time because people aren't able to use the time they've included due to all the problems. Simple as that.

You're still missing the point. Although they gave us more time because of the problems. THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE US FREE TIME.

If you can find somewhere in the Terms of Service where it says they have to compensate us with something such as a free month of service because of errors with the game. I will gladly be quiet. I'm pretty sure terms of service in most games say something along the lines of "we have the right to do this and if we feel it necessary" where "this and that" are things such as close the server for maintenance. They never say anything about having to give us anything for it.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 8, 2006, 08:18 AM
the same words........ are getting thrown back and forth by people,
..does no-one have faith anymore? is it soo hard ........to let go and hope that things will be alright?
or has the pain of a fallen online game of the past made soo many people weak and quick to make judgement..

see my perspectiv as nieve if you will, but this really is beyond all of us. alot of you know what it's like to not be able to progress due to lingering doubts shown towards you due to past mistakes.. so if we dont think for the best then how can sonic team hope to win this? ..think about it, please

SephYuyX
Sep 8, 2006, 09:00 AM
Maybe you all forget.. but this is Sega

Remember how great the PSO servers were? You guys sound surprized that PSU is having problems.

sp

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-09-08 07:04 ]</font>

Nodachi
Sep 8, 2006, 09:14 AM
On 2006-09-07 20:40, JAFO22000 wrote:

I agree with this. And I also don't think bay_sun is even Japanese lol.

I do feel a bit bad for importers, somewhat, ok not really. Importers should know there's always a huge risk before importing. But even with all this downtime, it hasn't even been two weeks of release right? Seems to have upset Cross the most. I'm sure servers will steady out with enough time before the EN release to get your ego leveled enough before it drops stateside. Like others have said, had you been billed for all this downtime, that would have been whack and a real reason to complain.

So chill, it'll pan out, and you'll be able to enjoy the game like you should be able to soon enough. In the interim, go do some pushups or something to relieve that stress.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nodachi on 2006-09-08 07:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nodachi on 2006-09-08 07:32 ]</font>

Valkayree
Sep 8, 2006, 09:20 AM
Two words... Play Offline.

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 09:25 AM
I have faith in Sega and Sonic team!

I think the reason the servers are down is because this time they are serious about getting it right and are willing to sacrifice the happiness of the players in the first few months to gaurantee all of our hapiness in the long run. 4 months down the line we will all be happy they did the right thing and fixed the servers before it was too late.

Even if the servers are not fixed for the US release i will not be too upset because it will give me the perfect excuse to plow through the single player before going online and not be worried that my friends are getting way ahead of me.

Spellbinder
Sep 8, 2006, 09:31 AM
On 2006-09-08 07:25, parabolee wrote:
I have faith in Sega and Sonic team!

I think the reason the servers are down is because this time they are serious about getting it right and are willing to sacrifice the happiness of the players in the first few months to gaurantee all of our hapiness in the long run. 4 months down the line we will all be happy they did the right thing and fixed the servers before it was too late.

Even if the servers are not fixed for the US release i will not be too upset because it will give me the perfect excuse to plow through the single player before going online and not be worried that my friends are getting way ahead of me.

Exactly.

SephYuyX
Sep 8, 2006, 09:38 AM
Considering the offline mode can be beaten in one sitting, and there is already an expansion planned.. that really doesnt sit well with me.

Just wtf goes through Sega's head? Im starting to wonder which business is worse. SE or Sega.

Nodachi
Sep 8, 2006, 09:46 AM
On 2006-09-08 07:38, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Considering the offline mode can be beaten in one sitting, and there is already an expansion planned.. that really doesnt sit well with me.

Just wtf goes through Sega's head? Im starting to wonder which business is worse. SE or Sega.

You don't have to actually support either. It's a shame you like the game they produce. I'm really doubting ST wanted this to happen or had they known it was going to happen they'd just sit by and ride it out.

SephYuyX
Sep 8, 2006, 10:02 AM
On 2006-09-08 07:46, Nodachi wrote:

You don't have to actually support either. It's a shame you like the game they produce. I'm really doubting ST wanted this to happen or had they known it was going to happen they'd just sit by and ride it out.

Yeah Noda I understand, im sure they didnt do it on purpose, but it's just wierd to hear that they didnt (or still dont) have enough servers for everyone to play, and doesnt sound like they bothered with a stress test.

Ill be buying PSU regardless (well not if online is cancelled indefinitely for some freak reason) even if I have to wait another month for online play. Seems like we will be playing two games that at points will have to stare at a login screen and hit retry over and over.

I cant wait for PSU as it will be a nice break from FFXI, and I know others are going to do the same, but I just hope their servers will be in good order by then.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-09-08 08:08 ]</font>

AngelLight
Sep 8, 2006, 10:08 AM
I have no faith in SEGA to maintain their own house...they just have a bad track record.......however, I also dont think SEGA is stupid either. Their new flagship title is out and they're having server problems. It's in everyone's best interest to keep ppl happy while they fix it to avoid publicity problems and this is a smart business move on their part. I'm sure it will be fine soon and shouldn't have this level of trouble on US launch

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 10:25 AM

HOW DARE YOU COMPARE MY BELOVED SEGA TO SONY!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Isn't the offline supposed to be 40 hours long? How the hell do you do that in one sitting? Thats 3 at a least (with little time for breaks!). Or were we lied to? Because I am only just on Chapter 3 and am already 4 hours in.

SephYuyX
Sep 8, 2006, 10:30 AM
On 2006-09-08 08:25, parabolee wrote:

HOW DARE YOU COMPARE MY BELOVED SEGA TO SONY!!! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Isn't the offline supposed to be 40 hours long? How the hell do you do that in one sitting? Thats 3 at a least (with little time for breaks!). Or were we lied to? Because I am only just on Chapter 3 and am already 4 hours in.

2ch had some guy with pics and such of the beaten game, stating he beat it, so, assumtion.

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 10:41 AM
He beat in how long? One Stitting? Second time through? Like I say I'm on Chapter 3 in 4 hours so you would have to rush through to do it in less than 10 hours (which would be the longest you can consider a single sitting IMHO).

ORM-D
Sep 8, 2006, 10:49 AM
Look you imported the game knowing there was going to be problems right? if you dident you are a complete idiot. Its a fricken online game for god sakes. Every online game that was popular has had some type of problem. If you dont like it stop cryin about it and spend this next few months of your cryin life being active or something or give me your copy. Just dont come on here and cry about how you IMPORTED the game and have problems with it. If the people who imported the game would of just waited a few months like the rest of us are we most likely wouldent have to listen to the whole "PSU omg it doesnt work" speech. There is a difference between letting us know the problem and crying about it. I would be happy just to have a game box with no disk or anything. You whiners are just ungreatful and selfish.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ORM-D on 2006-09-08 09:11 ]</font>

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 10:52 AM
On 2006-09-08 08:49, ORM-D wrote:
Look you imported the game knowing there was going to be problems right? if you dident you are a complete idiot. Its a fricken online game for god sakes. Every online game that was popular has had some type of problem. If you dont like it stop cryin about it and spend this next few months of your cryin life being active or something or give me your copy. Just dont come on here and cry about how you IMPORTED the game and have problems with it. If the Americans would of just waited a few months like the rest of us are we most likely wouldent have to listen to the whole "PSU omg it doesnt work" speech. There is a difference between letting us know the problem and crying about it. I would be happy just to have a game box with no disk or anything. You whiners are just ungreatful and selfish.

Who are you talking to?

You are aware that the topic creator is Japanese, right? And those of us who imported aren't complaining from what I saw (I admit I may have missed that post), I'm certainly not complaining about anything.

Did you read the thread?

watashiwa
Sep 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
He probably didn't. He just thought it'd look cool to come in, post about how he's so much better than everybody else because he can be satisfied with the simplest shit (such as a game box with no media or anything), and prove how much better he is... *lol*

He's probably one of those people who bid on the "Playstation 2 Box" back in the day on eBay for $500.. which was really only the box. No system, games, cables, or controllers. And when he got it, he was delighted.

He probably goes to McDonald's and buys a Big Mac, then is overjoyed when they screw him over by removing the meat before packaging it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-08 08:56 ]</font>

SephYuyX
Sep 8, 2006, 10:57 AM
On 2006-09-08 08:41, parabolee wrote:
He beat in how long? One Stitting? Second time through? Like I say I'm on Chapter 3 in 4 hours so you would have to rush through to do it in less than 10 hours (which would be the longest you can consider a single sitting IMHO).

Err sorry, thought I had put in 'on the same day as release'.

ORM-D
Sep 8, 2006, 11:04 AM
Um Yeah you nailed it. Cus im obviously not wastin my life cryin about some game. And i was talking to all you people who imported the game and are crying about it. Anyone could of told you to wait for the NA version. But nooo you just had to have it and yes i did read the thread and i posted about al the people who have been whining about the game not workin and not gettin 30 days free as Watashiwa puts it. Yeah your whole story about how the 30 days isnt free. It sure as hell is free. They dont have to give you squat for the first 30 days. But they decided to let you have 30 days free. You also know that if they dont have the servers fixed by the first they will most likely continue to make it free untill the matinance is over. And if you are so worried about wastin your free 30 days like i said befor go out side or something. You know you will get to play online sooner or later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ORM-D on 2006-09-08 09:16 ]</font>

Nodachi
Sep 8, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-09-08 08:52, parabolee wrote:

You are aware that the topic creator is Japanese, right?

I guess we have to take his word for it but I still don't buy the OP, bay_sun, is actually JP lol. I actually think he's some whack ass MC trying to stir stuff up.

Spellbinder
Sep 8, 2006, 12:04 PM
On 2006-09-08 09:04, ORM-D wrote:
Um Yeah you nailed it. Cus im obviously not wastin my life cryin about some game. And i was talking to all you people who imported the game and are crying about it. Anyone could of told you to wait for the NA version. But nooo you just had to have it and yes i did read the thread and i posted about al the people who have been whining about the game not workin and not gettin 30 days free as Watashiwa puts it.

[ This Message was edited by: ORM-D on 2006-09-08 09:16 ]

1.) Chill out

2.) All of this "that's what you get for importing" high horse nonsense needs to stop.

This is an online game. All online games have problems at launch. Regardless of how large or small said problems are, the US release of PSU will be no exception. So if anything should go wrong when US PSU is released, would you want importers or JP players to come in pointing saying "hah, I'm glad I imported, my bugs are fixed already"? No, I'm sure you wouldn't. So just leave it be. Yes alot of importers are upset, but they'll either quit and wait for US PSU and possibly have the same amount or fewer bugs to deal with upon release, or they'll get over it and wait for SEGA to do their job, and fix the bugs like they've been trying to.

After all, just how much complaining can people have when it's only been released for 8 days? sheesh...

Zodd
Sep 8, 2006, 12:16 PM
I have a feeling that bay_sun is from 2chan. And 2chan is full of unhappy people, anyway.

So you bought the import which costs more than domestic games, it's only been out for a week and you feel ripped off because you have difficulty logging in. Is that it? It's only been a week, man. A WEEK. What are you going to do, sue Sega for false advertising? BTW you CAN still play both online and offline, you agreed to pay the fee for the online content in the first place, and now you got another month for free. So what if PSU is going through a lot of down time? If PSU was down for a whole month and we didn't get that free month, than I would have taken sides with you.

We're not defending Sega, nor are we saying that you don't have a valid complaint, we're saying you are getting ahead of yourself by calling Sega a bunch of shitheads.

He's probably one of those people who bid on the "Playstation 2 Box" back in the day on eBay for $500.. which was really only the box. No system, games, cables, or controllers. And when he got it, he was delighted.

Maybe those people are rich... But who cares? So laugh at me for paying $70 for imported PSU. Some people think it's worth it, others are waiting for the domestic release because it's in English and it's cheaper.

What others do with their own money is none of my damn business and there is no point in making fun of them for it.

Mewn
Sep 8, 2006, 12:42 PM
I don't regret importing at all, but Sega have fucked this up, end of story. Stop hiding behind excuses like 'Every MMO is like this!', and 'But you get an extra free month!'. Sorry, I didn't pay - what is to me - a lot of money to participate in a post-release beta caused by Sega's ineptitude, thanks. If they had had an open beta maybe this problem wouldn't be so bad, if they just tested their servers under heavy load they could have prepared better.

Still, I'm not unhappy with the game, and I'll ride out this storm. It'll get better, Sega simply cannot afford to let matters go on like this and I know they'll fix it. The game itself is great, even though the offline content is lacklustre compared to Network Mode (clearly the real meat of the game).

The 'Story Mode is 40 hours' line is rubbish, by the way. It's closer to 25 hours, and it's not exactly the greatest story ever told, either. I enjoyed the gameplay, mind, and the story has its moments, but overall you shouldn't expect this game to be an epic Phantasy Star V or anything close to it. Extra Mode is just neutered Network Mode and pales in comparison, though it is enjoyable for short periods when you cannot get on the servers. Offline has game balance issues too, and is FAR too easy, in my opinion.

Sega are having problems with what is obviously supposed to be the most important mode of the game. Problems that could have been made a lot more bearable. That's my main gripe. Otherwise the game is great.

ORM-D
Sep 8, 2006, 12:43 PM
1.) Chill out

2.) All of this "that's what you get for importing" high horse nonsense needs to stop.

This is an online game. All online games have problems at launch. Regardless of how large or small said problems are, the US release of PSU will be no exception. So if anything should go wrong when US PSU is released, would you want importers or JP players to come in pointing saying "hah, I'm glad I imported, my bugs are fixed already"? No, I'm sure you wouldn't. So just leave it be. Yes alot of importers are upset, but they'll either quit and wait for US PSU and possibly have the same amount or fewer bugs to deal with upon release, or they'll get over it and wait for SEGA to do their job, and fix the bugs like they've been trying to.

After all, just how much complaining can people have when it's only been released for 8 days? sheesh...

Ummm dude you said exactly what i said just in different terms. And 1.) im not pissed or mad and 2.) I said that only cus they keep complaining and i stated befor that there is a difference between letting us know what the problem is and crying about the problem. So befor you tell me what to do and what not to do read what i have originaly posted and pls dont bite off of what i say. Which means dont tell me to chill out if your just going to say the same thing.

Spellbinder
Sep 8, 2006, 01:37 PM
1.) im not pissed or mad

To me you came off somewhat irritated, so as I said, chill out.

2.) I said that only cus they keep complaining and i stated befor that there is a difference between letting us know what the problem is and crying about the problem. So befor you tell me what to do and what not to do read what i have originaly posted and pls dont bite off of what i say. Which means dont tell me to chill out if your just going to say the same thing.

I wasn't telling you what to do. The quote I took from you of this:

Anyone could of told you to wait for the NA version. But nooo you just had to have it

When I said all the "that's what you get for importing" high horse nonsense needs to stop. I was directing that at everyone, not just you. So before you think I'm trying to tell you what to do, or that I'm trying to make a personal attack, maybe you should read what I wrote a little more carefully, because quite frankly, no one individual on the internet is worth that much effort.

ORM-D
Sep 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
Well since no one is worth that much effort why are you trying to let me know what you did and what you dident quote. But anyway end of subjuct this is starting to irritate me. BACK ON TOPIC PLS.

But yeah i just think this guy wanted to start stuff. If you havent noticed it obviously worked. lol Befor we can make any personal speculations on the NA version we first need to try it as they did the JP version. Yes someone has completed the game like a week ago. MR.Pow posted pics of them fighting the final boss. I think the lvl of the char was 78 or soemthing close to it. But it is possible to beat PSU in one sitting. There could of been no other way this player could of done it unless he already hacked it. Which i highly doubt.

Sev
Sep 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
Everyone knows that the launch got messed up. We don't have to keep reminding each other that it happened, it was only a few days ago so we'd hardly forget.

I just know that saying that they made a mistake is pointless. We don't need to say it, because they've admitted they're problems already. And who would know their problems better, us or them? I'm sure alot of you are thinking us, but you're most likely wrong.

And Spellbinder has a point. It doesn't matter if they imported, it doesn't matter if they're from Japan, and it doesn't matter if they're waiting on their respective release. The point is that it happened, they're fixing it, and that's all there is too it. If you think there's more to it, then you just simply wanna complain, and sorry to tell you, but I'm sure as hell not gonna feel sorry for you. If these problems duplicate on the NA servers and I have to wait, I'm not going to spend my time complaining durring maintenances. Why don't you try keeping happy thoughts?

Like fluffy kittens? Or burning fluffy kittens if you don't like cats? See. Happy thoughts.

ORM-D
Sep 8, 2006, 02:19 PM
On 2006-09-08 12:05, Sev wrote:
Everyone knows that the launch got messed up. We don't have to keep reminding each other that it happened, it was only a few days ago so we'd hardly forget.

I just know that saying that they made a mistake is pointless. We don't need to say it, because they've admitted they're problems already. And who would know their problems better, us or them? I'm sure alot of you are thinking us, but you're most likely wrong.

And Spellbinder has a point. It doesn't matter if they imported, it doesn't matter if they're from Japan, and it doesn't matter if they're waiting on their respective release. The point is that it happened, they're fixing it, and that's all there is too it. If you think there's more to it, then you just simply wanna complain, and sorry to tell you, but I'm sure as hell not gonna feel sorry for you. If these problems duplicate on the NA servers and I have to wait, I'm not going to spend my time complaining durring maintenances. Why don't you try keeping happy thoughts?

Like fluffy kittens? Or burning fluffy kittens if you don't like cats? See. Happy thoughts.

Seriously that all i was tryin to say. I just could find those exact words. But you did sev. Thanks. That was the simplest way of putting what i was tryin to say. Sorry if i offended anyone in my proccess of explination.

Kaply
Sep 8, 2006, 02:21 PM
The only complaint I have is about the login. Not so much that I cannot get in, but that they're forcing the players to sit there spamming the enter key in order to get in (for long periods of time in some cases). I would much prefer that they implemented a queue system so people can log in.

Flamingo99
Sep 8, 2006, 02:25 PM
Fourm drama in da HOUSSSSSSSSSSSEEEE!!!

Blah... look at it this way.... they're at least fixing the problem. And you'll get this online time for free (even though it isn't perfect). Just wait untill it's all said and done, this game will be great.

Wubbie
Sep 8, 2006, 02:27 PM
"At no time were they able to hire 120,000 testers to stress-test their servers. The delays were to polish out the game itself and, possibly, to give time to build a better server system. This is the reason why MMOs pretty much always have problems: they have no way to test or predict how the server hardware and software will react with the game when it's put under a severe amount of stress, and so can't really do much about it until after the game is actually released. "

Quoted for Emphasis, nicely written Kyuu

peenk
Sep 8, 2006, 02:33 PM
On 2006-09-08 12:27, Wubbie wrote:
"At no time were they able to hire 120,000 testers to stress-test their servers. ...

open beta?

Shadow_Wing
Sep 8, 2006, 02:36 PM
Just ride out the storm is all I have to say. I'm not entirely surprised that they made a huge mistake, not anticipating the amount of players they were going to get (at least they admited it, which is quite rare), however I know how the people feel about paying for something they expected to be in perfect condition. You imported the game by choice however, so deal with it. These things do happen and just hope that it'll get all better by October.

ST are fixing their problem, and it will get fixed. As a up comming Computer Engineer I realize that these things don't take an instant to be fixed, it's not as easily fixed as adding another server or anything like that for there are a lot of varibles to also deal with. These "maintences" are also tests on how effective their solutions are as well, just because it seems like these maintences are doing nothing, I'm sure in the background it's doing more than you think.

The best thing any of you guys can do is either wait another month, I know I've been waiting 2 years and I can wait another month, or continue essentially "stress" testing them out.

And btw, if you guys don't know, these servers are using essentially new hardware and protocols. I believe Sega is the 1st commercial company to implement the system they have set up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2006-09-08 12:38 ]</font>

ORM-D
Sep 8, 2006, 02:42 PM
On 2006-09-08 12:33, peenk wrote:

"At no time were they able to hire 120,000 testers to stress-test their servers. ...

open beta?

We could only hope. If they had a US open betta now with the servers the way they are we would see more topic threads like the one we are postin now. If you know what i mean. But arent JP and NA servers separate? i thought they were. But if they are separate then wouldent the problems only be on the JP server? Unless they just (in simple terms) copied and pasted to have a match of the jp servers. If they dident do that the only thing they should have to do is enlarge the servers. Am i right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ORM-D on 2006-09-08 12:44 ]</font>

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well a 120,000 person open beta would possibly be more people playing the open beta than they wanted playing a beta version of the game. Especially ha they incorrectlky expected only 20,000 players during the first few months.

But they made a mistake, I say forgive them and let them fix it. If it still doesn't work in 6 months then we can complain (man that would suck!).

Shadow_Wing
Sep 8, 2006, 03:01 PM
The 100k difference is a big diff, but I'm not surprised though, original PSO had like 10k at most at any givin time.
forgot to add, at the start

But yes para is correct in assuming that there will always be more people playing the real game than the Beta. Take point CoX, they have a test server but at most 5% of the total population are even on it at any givin time, even when new issues are released.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shadow_Wing on 2006-09-08 13:01 ]</font>

Valkayree
Sep 8, 2006, 03:15 PM
"At no time were they able to hire 120,000 testers to stress-test their servers. The delays were to polish out the game itself and, possibly, to give time to build a better server system. This is the reason why MMOs pretty much always have problems: they have no way to test or predict how the server hardware and software will react with the game when it's put under a severe amount of stress, and so can't really do much about it until after the game is actually released. "

Well, it's kind of easy to monitor how many servers you need by the amount of preorders from gaming stores. That's a pretty safe bet. I seriously doubt that only 20k people preordered and then magically 100k more appeared on day 1 to buy up the game and rush home to get online. Also, why would the company make 120,000 units and only leave open server space for 20,000? Can anyone say "skimping to cut costs?" My opinion, someone was cutting costs because if you make 120,000 units of the game, you should expect at the very least half of the customers to get online, and if it is launch week, yes everyone at the same time. If they know the amount of server power it takes to hold their testers, they should perform the following calculation: 1 server unit = (Y) simultaneous online accounts without fail. (N) = the amount of preorders * 2 (to be safe). (N) customers expected online = (X) server units. Sooo, N / Y = X to get the amount of server units you will need to carry capacity. These guys at Sonic Team are smart, they should know this. However when the mighty algabraic symbol ($) comes into play, all hell breaks loose, and suddenly gravity doesn't work anymore. =p

WiLDFiRe
Sep 8, 2006, 03:19 PM
PSU could be a big stinking pile of garbage on the level of E.T. Doesn't matter to me, I'm going to buy and play teh game no matter what.

parabolee
Sep 8, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-09-08 13:19, WiLDFiRe wrote:
PSU could be a big stinking pile of garbage on the level of E.T. Doesn't matter to me, I'm going to buy and play teh game no matter what.

WHAT!?!

What does that prove? Other than you are the least frugal person here? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But have no fear PSU will (and does) ROCK!

The servers will be fixed eventually.

Kyuu
Sep 8, 2006, 04:37 PM
On 2006-09-08 13:19, WiLDFiRe wrote:

Okay, even I wouldn't say that. PSU, luckily, is not the equivalent of the Atari E.T. game in any way.

WiLDFiRe
Sep 8, 2006, 04:45 PM
WHAT!?!

What does that prove? Other than you are the least frugal person here? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But have no fear PSU will (and does) ROCK!

The servers will be fixed eventually.

[quote]
On 2006-09-08 14:37, Kyuu wrote:Okay, even I wouldn't say that. PSU, luckily, is not the equivalent of the Atari E.T. game in any way.
[quote]

Yes I know PSU won't be as bad as E.T., nothing could. After playing PSO religously for the past 5+ years, waiting for PSU since E3'04 nothing is going to stop me from playing it and having fun.

Hozanto
Sep 8, 2006, 04:46 PM
How can it be good if it's defective?? I donno I hate when people say that--yes I know the what he means by "goods" but damn.
Anyways, If it's pushs back again because of this(not that it right?) Im gettin the JP version...

WiLDFiRe
Sep 8, 2006, 04:48 PM
On 2006-09-08 14:46, Hozanto wrote:
How can it be good if it's defective?? I donno I hate when people say that--yes I know the what he means by "goods" but damn.
Anyways, If it's pushs back again because of this(not that it right?) Im gettin the JP version...

When one is a fanboy, everything is good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Phaze37
Sep 8, 2006, 05:12 PM
Bay-sun said that some japanese players are returning the game because of these issues. Why? What do they expect is going to happen? Do they think that Sega is never going to fix the problems and that they're just going to cancel PSU entirely? It seems stupid to return the game just because the online play isn't working at launch. They'll fix it eventually. If they don't fix it and they just give up on PSU online however, they'll be getting a letter bomb in the mail from me. This is highly unlikely though.

For those of you who imported the game, I can understand why you're unhappy, but the reason I didn't import the game was because I knew the game wasn't going to have a perfect launch, and that it would take them time to fix the game. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be this bad, but they're doing the best they can. I know this has been said before, but importing was a risk and you lost. It sucks, but that's why I never took the chance in the first place. If you were expecting a flawless launch, you're dreaming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-09-08 15:13 ]</font>

Hotsuma
Sep 8, 2006, 05:15 PM
I like pie.... but PSU might be better than pie... >.> so I will play PSU(not putang pie might I add... nothing is better than that (b'-')b). And if you played E.T. you must've been a bored child lol...

RoboKy
Sep 8, 2006, 05:18 PM
On 2006-09-08 15:12, Phaze37 wrote:
Bay-sun said that some japanese players are returning the game because of these issues. Why? What do they expect is going to happen? Do they think that Sega is never going to fix the problems and that they're just going to cancel PSU entirely? It seems stupid to return the game just because the online play isn't working at launch. They'll fix it eventually. If they don't fix it and they just give up on PSU online however, they'll be getting a letter bomb in the mail from me. This is highly unlikely though.

For those of you who imported the game, I can understand why you're unhappy, but the reason I didn't import the game was because I knew the game wasn't going to have a perfect launch, and that it would take them time to fix the game. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be this bad, but they're doing the best they can. I know this has been said before, but importing was a risk and you lost. It sucks, but that's why I never took the chance in the first place. If you were expecting a flawless launch, you're dreaming.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phaze37 on 2006-09-08 15:13 ]</font>

I think he's just a fake or something trying to cause a panic like the bird flu thing. Now no one even talks about bird flu, what happened to that killer pandemic that was to kill so many people?

WiLDFiRe
Sep 8, 2006, 05:24 PM
On 2006-09-08 15:12, Phaze37 wrote:
Bay-sun said that some japanese players are returning the game because of these issues. Why? What do they expect is going to happen? Do they think that Sega is never going to fix the problems and that they're just going to cancel PSU entirely?

Given how much Sonic Team fixed PSO it's not to hard to see why some people would return the game.

On 2006-09-08 15:15, Hotsuma wrote:
And if you played E.T. you must've been a bored child lol...

No I just loved playing video games, and had E.T. There wasn't magzines or the internet back than to learn that there was no possible way to beat the game. I just liked the sound of E.T.'s neck when you were trying to get out of a pit for 3 hours.

Ryudo
Sep 8, 2006, 07:39 PM
Name a major online game that launched without a problem?

No? Then kindly shut up you whiny pissants.

"Oh but I paid higher prices to import it, sega screwed me wah!"

because sega told you to import it. ~_~

Nodachi
Sep 8, 2006, 07:43 PM
Talk of returning the game. Can you even return PSU if there is nothing wrong with your disc/install?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nodachi on 2006-09-08 17:43 ]</font>

Garroway
Sep 8, 2006, 07:51 PM
I need to confirm something here. It looks to me like some of you are actualy using the argument, "you're stupid if you expected it to work" to forgive what sounds like a glaring failure. So I'm an idiot every time I make a purchase and expect to recieve what was advertised? Maybe the next time you get a hamburger and find that it was made with a steeming pile of feces you'll let it slide as long as they don't charge you for it.

I need to take some of you to work with me to be my cheering section. That way, next time I screw something up you can all point out that the Director is an idiot because he expected me to deliver what I promised. Then maybe you can get me a raise by pointing out that I'm trying to correct the issue that I caused to begin with.

peenk
Sep 8, 2006, 08:32 PM
Well I doubt many people are getting PSU just for the offline part.
I'd say 90% at least will get it to play online. After two delays, JP players bought the game only to be disappointed by server downtime. PC version requires you to connect even if you play offline. So when you cant log in because servers are down, and you cannot go online for same reason, no wonder if someone chose to return the game.

drownedBYfire
Sep 8, 2006, 08:40 PM
I've got 99 problems, but PSU aint one.

They've got 2 months to clean it up for us.
When it hits us in NA it will be all good, you'll see.(sacrifices small goat)

And yea offline is reason alone to get the game.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 9, 2006, 02:43 AM
On 2006-09-08 17:39, Ryudo wrote:

"Oh but I paid higher prices to import it, sega screwed me wah!"

because sega told you to import it. ~_~

amen

And for those of you who keeeeeeep on picking at the length of story mode like a broken record, i wouldnt want unapreciative people like you to co-exist in the same MMO as i anyway :J
When the English version comes out the only ones who'll be standing are us who stood by sonic team the whole time, while you disrespectful people will be elsewhere picking on the imperfections of some other game.
Thank god this is happening early.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-09-09 00:47 ]</font>

Cross
Sep 9, 2006, 03:56 AM
On 2006-09-08 17:39, Ryudo wrote:

I can answer that. Before I do, though, here's one for you: Name a major game that launched with problems so severe that the game was downgraded to beta status after hitting retail shelves, a game with servers so badly mismanaged that logging on when the servers were up was an arduous process of hitting the Log In button over and over for hours with no certainty of success (and no system to automatically put you into queue to wait your turn), or a game that had a fifty percent downtime during the first week.

All 'problems' are not equal. A little lag? That's a minor problem. A session of emergency maintenance, or a maintenance schedule that slips? That's a little more annoying, but no biggie all by itself. Login server hard to get in? Well, that's pretty damned inconvenient, but also pretty variable - if it's just five minutes of trying to log in, that's an understandable issue as long as it's sorted out in short order, but if you're trying for an hour and you still don't get in, and there's no automatic queue so you can walk away and wait, that's pretty much a gamebreaker. A serious bug that necessitates a two-day rollback? That's quite a fuckup.

Now, when the login server is impregnable, every maintenance session breaks the deadline, sometimes by as much as four hours, followed three hours of uptime later by another three hours of emergency maintenance that also slips the deadline by an hour*, areas of the game are rendered inaccessible by poor handling of inter-server communication, there's a serious bug that requires a two-day rollback and half a week of downtime to "fix" and only ends up fixing the bug at the expense of the server's reliability - And the only way the players receive any recompense that paying customers get is to be used as guinea pigs for a month-long beta test - that goes way, way beyond your trite little "B-b-b-b-but every game has problems!" spiel.

I'd also just like to get across that I find it somewhat appalling that some people in the thread have the attitude that this is somehow "our fault" for importing the game. This game has gone retail. We're not playing a pre-release version. The Japanese as a nation are not a merry band of beta testers expected to get rid of all the scary bugs for us. It doesn't make problems all better just because they're not affecting you personally. It's not acceptable for a game to be this riddled with problems no matter where it's released publically.
PSU isn't a privilege. It's a retail product that Sega is charging money for. Whether it's you, an importer, or a Japanese guy, we're all the same customers and have the same right to expect from Sega service that is at least par for the course in terms of online games, and so far, PSU is way below average. Sega isn't your best friend, and Sega isn't a five year old kid who deserves to be applauded for "trying his best" when he messes up. Sega is a multinational corporation that's just launched a massively flawed product into the market. When they do bring PSU up to par (and now I do believe they will; it is slowly and steadily improving) that doesn't make this 'great service'. It's what they're supposed to do, and it's what they're paid to do (typically, by us). If the stoner behind the counter at McDonald's gets me another burger after dropping my first one on the floor, that doesn't make him a great employee. That makes him mildly inconveniencing instead of being outright unforgivable.

*Note that the reason I'm posting this is because the maintenance has just slipped again

Edit: Okay, take back the bits about believing that things are improving. Still can't login reliably.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-09-09 02:12 ]</font>

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 9, 2006, 04:56 AM
ok seriously, same words rotating over and over in the same thread. Save your breath and; dont play psu. k?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-09-09 02:57 ]</font>

Ether
Sep 9, 2006, 05:01 AM
On 2006-09-09 02:56, DrizaSiegmund wrote:
ok seriously, same words rotating over and over in the same thread

Translation: Cross post long. Didn't read/comprehend

Save your breath and; dont play psu ever.. k?

I still cannot understand the opinion here that people are not allowed to expect quality from a product they paid for

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 9, 2006, 05:08 AM
On 2006-09-09 03:01, Ether wrote:

I still cannot understand the opinion here that people are not allowed to expect quality from a product they paid for

The quality is there, but apparently the story of a game has to be tremendously long for people to even close-to respect it -_-

The quality of Network mode is that the company has admitted their mistake andopologised for it sencerely, AND is going to reset the free 30day play.. after a month from now; making the server currently free to play.

The judgement of quality is in your own eyes, in that case it seems you cant see anything at all.

Dynheart
Sep 9, 2006, 05:10 AM
I think people have a right to be upset that the game is not functioning properly, but, I do belive some of those people are taking to an obnoxious level. Then again I'm a laid back guy, so I tend to take things as they are.

To me, if PSU dosen't work at launch, then it I'll play offline. And for some reason it don't work at all, I'll do my research. And if the SEGA says they are fixing it. I'll just play another game. Life goes on.

Not the end of the world, eh?

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 9, 2006, 05:12 AM
exactly... but you know some ppl who know nothing about how much goes into customer service MUST have a hissy fit..... /sigh

Dynheart
Sep 9, 2006, 05:15 AM
On 2006-09-09 03:12, DrizaSiegmund wrote:
exactly... but you know some ppl who know nothing about how much goes into customer service MUST have a hissy fit..... /sigh

Unfortunatly I've personally witnessed such a hissy fit...it's quite sad actually, heh.

Ryudo
Sep 9, 2006, 05:41 AM
ame a major game that launched with problems so severe that the game was downgraded to beta status after hitting retail shelves, a game with servers so badly mismanaged that logging on when the servers were up was an arduous process of hitting the Log In button over and over for hours with no certainty of success (and no system to automatically put you into queue to wait your turn), or a game that had a fifty percent downtime during the first week.

Ragnarok online had multiple server rollbacks, WoW had a lot more than 50% downtime in its first week, I could go ahead and list every MMO and educate you but you do seem to enjoy being ignorant.

and I wouldnt blame anyone for not reading Cross's emonologue filled with poor analogies. He's a proven whiner.

so by all means, do go ahead and name your major mmo release that had no problems

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 9, 2006, 06:05 AM
emonologue XD !!

..but cmon people, life's too short for us to be furious and dwelling in regret. Watch a move: http://www.pso-world.com/downloads/psu/trailers/NewTrailer3.wmv
get excited about the game, view some screenshots. As for japan players/importers: enjoy extra mode, get familiar with photon arts, plan your character for october.

If you step onto the US servers with a bad attitude and high expectations then you're not setting yourself up for some fun, and wont end up having any.. and if you still want to complain like anything else is impossible to do then go outside and do some soul searching.

Parn
Sep 9, 2006, 08:50 AM
You know what I don't understand? The fact that the login servers continue to be a problem. The actual game servers run fantastic now, better than they did at launch. "My room" apparently was fixed last night, as it's accessible in moments rather than 20 minutes of staring at a black screen, probably a bug in their coding. Yet the login servers continue to be a game of Yahtzee.

Honestly, it's been over a week and the login server situation is worse now than it was at launch. That's really not a good thing at all, considering that's your gateway into the game and is the most critical portion of making the online experience happen. Kind of hard to enjoy your brand new house if you can't even get inside it.

Gumbotron
Sep 9, 2006, 11:06 AM
See, according to driza, that's perfectly normal. Since she herself doesn't know of any online game that's launched without problems; It is perfectly acceptable for psu to be unplayable for an indefinite period after launch.

To complain or get angry about it would make you a loser emo 8 year old with herpes; and no one likes herpes. Just relax and do some other wholesome activities like play soccer, or violin; or better yet: write that novel.

In mearly a month, at the north american psu launch, everything will be in perfect working order. SoA will surely pickup on all the bugs that SoJ may have slipped

Kyuu
Sep 9, 2006, 11:30 AM
Actually, login servers having problems is, in fact, perfectly normal. WoW has had problems with the login server since release, and it keeps popping up. It got better once they switched over to some new servers for it, but the fact is, login servers on a popular game like WoW or PSU are handling at least a few hundred people all trying to log in to the game at the same time, and oft-times probably way more than a few hundred. They get hit hard, and they often go nutty trying to handle all the simultaneous hits. Probably doesn't help that every time they get the servers working, 120,000 people are all trying to make a mad dash to get online.

No one is saying it doesn't suck that there's problems. But problems happen, and whining about them helps nothing. As Parn has said, the game servers are doing great now, so what? You're still going to claim Sega is handling things poorly? They addressed the problem, did what had to be done, and have gotten the servers working better than they ever did. Probably, they've had their hands too full with that to focus much on the login servers.

Demanding perfection out of Sega and going berserk with whining when PSU has some problems, just like every freaking other MMO has had, is rediculous. Chill out. Use the extra time to visit your doctor and get that herpes outbreak looked at. They have drugs for that now. Have you seen the commercials? You'll be out rock-climbing, hang-gliding, and twirling around with a beautiful woman in a flower-filled meadow in no time.

Tystys
Sep 9, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm really worried that these problems might translate over to the American/EU servers. I really hope that whatever their doing to the Japanese servers that they do the same for the US/EU servers so we don't have to be worried about a roll back....but hopefully what I'm requesting is a given, so meh.