PDA

View Full Version : sword+gun combo

Cry0
Sep 8, 2006, 01:56 AM
I was wondring what's so good about a sword+handgun equip? A lot of people seem to use it. Why not just use double guns, or double swords seperately? they are better no? and just switch among them?

Zarbolord
Sep 8, 2006, 02:14 AM
The thing is that 1) it's new and 2) it's good to check out all you can do with the double. It's also easier in certain areas as you'll need both weapons. I suppose it's because it looks cool too. Oh, and it's saber, not sword. Sword is the big one that takes two hands to hold (unless you have that special item... rumour?). I'm personally gonna use wands and handguns at the start, so :|

Saner
Sep 8, 2006, 03:12 AM
sword+gun is good for many occasions.

take for example a flying boss. you can shoot it while its flying and slash it while its on the ground.

saber+gun combo is a multi-purpose style that is quite handy for immediate use. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

but ya damage wise, doublesabers and twin sabers look like they can rack up more hits in a shorter amount of time than saber+gun combo. so it depends on what you feel like using. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ether
Sep 8, 2006, 03:17 AM
Handguns are the only gun hunters can use, so you might as well pair it with something since its one handed.

Saber and handgun works as a combo because you can play very defensively with them. Snipe enemies with the gun while backing away from them, then when they get in close switch to saber and use the PA to knock them down

Kaply
Sep 8, 2006, 03:30 AM
One other thing to consider is the PP regen. You only regen PP while you have the weapon equipped. So a two handed weapon might do more damage but it will only regen at the rate of one weapon. When you have dual weapons equipped both weapons will regen at one weapon's rate. This means that you are overall recharging at two weapon's rate. (This is slightly off since guns recharge a lot faster than melee weapons) This was true for offline mode. I haven't tested it in online mode since I've only found crappy two handed weapons so far, at least I didn't like the attack animations from them so I haven't used them.

ShadowNeo
Sep 8, 2006, 03:38 AM
I personally like Mechgun/Saber as a Ranger, I get 3 hits in with my saber, then spray it with the mechgun as i take a few steps back, rinse and repeat.

Polly
Sep 8, 2006, 03:48 AM
How long till Saber+Handgun/Machinegun is considered broken or unfair or "cheesy" because of its ease of use? xP

Saber+Handgun is a great "bread and butter" combo perfect in almost any situation. I never leave home without it. Softening up the front line with a steady stream of potshots and rushing in for the kill is a great tactic. Or if you're low on Saber PP and need to regen, just play the distance game and dance around shooting whatever comes at you. Rising Strike is also a great tool for getting out of a jam with its knockdown effect and its power isn't anything to sneeze at either once it's got some levels behind it.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 8, 2006, 08:31 AM
On 2006-09-08 01:38, ShadowNeo wrote:
I personally like Mechgun/Saber as a Ranger, I get 3 hits in with my saber, then spray it with the mechgun as i take a few steps back, rinse and repeat.

can you link weapons of a diffrent kind in your other hand to form part of the same combo!??!?!?!?!?!
..or is there a chance for the enemy to hit you between the saber's last hit and the gun's shot?

Cry0
Sep 8, 2006, 11:40 AM
i guess it's a good weapon then for low-level defensive play. i personally intent to use double guns and sabers as main weps.

MrPOW
Sep 8, 2006, 11:59 AM
On 2006-09-08 01:30, Kaply wrote:
One other thing to consider is the PP regen. You only regen PP while you have the weapon equipped. So a two handed weapon might do more damage but it will only regen at the rate of one weapon. When you have dual weapons equipped both weapons will regen at one weapon's rate. This means that you are overall recharging at two weapon's rate. (This is slightly off since guns recharge a lot faster than melee weapons) This was true for offline mode. I haven't tested it in online mode since I've only found crappy two handed weapons so far, at least I didn't like the attack animations from them so I haven't used them.

Here's your answer right here.

Ryna
Sep 8, 2006, 12:01 PM
Like other people said, a handgun is useful for softening up enemies. You can then finish them off with your saber. Also, Rising Strike is a great Photon Art. It has helped me earn S-Ranks on several boss encounters/timed missions.

Kaply
Sep 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
Ryna, have you tried using the single hand claw PA? I find that one to be a bit superior because all four hits for the first combo go off at once rather than the two -> two for the one handed saber. Although because of the slower nature of the saber PA you can redirect the second combo all the way to your back whereas the claw's second combo goes to maybe 90 degress to either side.

Ryna
Sep 8, 2006, 12:07 PM
On 2006-09-08 10:05, Kaply wrote:
Ryna, have you tried using the single hand claw PA?

I was disappointed by the Twin Claws, so I haven't bothered to try out the single version yet.

Kaply
Sep 8, 2006, 12:09 PM
On 2006-09-08 10:07, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-09-08 10:05, Kaply wrote:
Ryna, have you tried using the single hand claw PA?

I was disappointed by the Twin Claws, so I haven't bothered to try out the single version yet.

You should try it out. The single claw version is faster than a saber in it's regular attack animation (for ethan, male human)