PDA

View Full Version : Guild Support for PSU?

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 12:22 AM
Just wondering, has there been any news on what, if any, ingame options concerning guilds or clans there might be in PSU?

Sev
Sep 11, 2006, 12:32 AM
There's no Guild System. None.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sev on 2006-09-10 22:33 ]</font>

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 12:34 AM
Curses, I figured so, since the PSO games didnt, but I thought itd be worth a shot. Thanks for letting me know.

Kurenaii
Sep 11, 2006, 12:37 AM
That'd be great if they threw something of the sort on later on. It's a possibility?

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 12:39 AM
That would definately be awesome, maybe enhancing the Guild Card feature from PSO? Ive got a bunch of friends that I play PSO with on the 'cube and we're organizing a guild for PSU when it releases, so of course any ingame guild stuff would be most sweet.

Pure-chan
Sep 11, 2006, 12:40 AM
I doubt it will happen. The team idea for psoBB didn't go over very well ...it seemed to aid in fracturing an already small game community. ...Plus, with no PVP in the game? What would be the purpose?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-09-10 22:42 ]</font>

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 12:44 AM
A game doesnt need PvP for guilds. Lots of the MMOs have guild features, even on the no PvP servers. It would make it that much easier for a group of friends to communicate and organize. Like having a guild chat and a way to tell where everyone is and such. Ive never played BB, so I dont know anything about that, but its still a nice thing to hope for.

Phalynx
Sep 11, 2006, 12:47 AM
Guild chat is nice to have, that would be the only thing id care for in a PSU guild.

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 12:49 AM
Well, if there isnt any such thing implemented into the game, which in all likelyhood, I would be shocked if it was, I think the best way for groups to keep in touch would be to use XFire.

Miyoko
Sep 11, 2006, 04:56 AM
Why would you WANT guilds in this?... It'd make no sense.

I for one, hope they keep guilds OUT of PSU. The last thing I need is people whining in lobbies about guild drama.

Guild Drama = extremely common, and one of the things I hate(d) most about CoH / WoW. I say we keep the unneeded stress out of the game...

There's no big monsters to raid with 40 people, you don't need 'perfect teams of one hunter, one ranger, one healer, one mage, etc.' for your group... Pretty much every way the game works negates the need for a guild.

Need or want another teamate for the mission you're about to go do? Whip up your partner card list, see who's on. It doesn't matter what class / race /gender they are -- your team will do fine. This isn't WoW/CoH/CoV/FFXI -- you don't need specific teams. Whatever you throw togeather will work.

Wubbie
Sep 11, 2006, 05:41 AM
Though I completely agree with Miyoko, I still feel an extra chat would be amazing...

Maybe have a "private" chat room feature, in which you can make a "team chat" equivalant but with more members and you can have anyone join as long as they know the password...

No guilds involved, just easier ways to keep in touch.

Miyoko
Sep 11, 2006, 05:55 AM
mIRC ftw? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Keep in touch, even out of game!

seraph7
Sep 11, 2006, 06:13 AM
the guild concept exists, just not officially...any cabal of close knit players can constitute as a guild, so to speak...at this moment, there's really no need to make anything official, but in future iterations - when the online becomes insanely big - the guild concept will not only possible, it will be inevitable.. of course, like others here, i tend to shy away from guilds from observations of mmo's like FF-Online & such; but if close players get along great, then i would say - why not?

Miphesto
Sep 11, 2006, 09:49 AM
On 2006-09-11 02:56, Miyoko wrote:

I for one, hope they keep guilds OUT of PSU. The last thing I need is people whining in lobbies about guild drama.

Guild Drama = extremely common, and one of the things I hate(d) most about CoH / WoW. I say we keep the unneeded stress out of the game...

There's no big monsters to raid with 40 people, you don't need 'perfect teams of one hunter, one ranger, one healer, one mage, etc.' for your group... Pretty much every way the game works negates the need for a guild.

Need or want another teamate for the mission you're about to go do? Whip up your partner card list, see who's on. It doesn't matter what class / race /gender they are -- your team will do fine. This isn't WoW/CoH/CoV/FFXI -- you don't need specific teams. Whatever you throw togeather will work.

ok so your saying the game is a pushover...without monsters or bosses to kill that require a certain amount of skill/elite armor and weapons...wtf is the point of endgame....w/o endgame content your just grinding the whole time, and then your done, and you quit...how fun...

i think a guild would be nice, you only play with people you know, who are honest, and less likely to ninja you...and 'guild drama' wtf is that...you only get guild drama if you buy into it, just friggin ignore it, if your guild falls apart, your guild falls apart...join a new one and get on with your life...

princejake2
Sep 11, 2006, 09:58 AM
Exactly. I am in a Clan that plays alot of different games, and we have little no to 'drama'. I for one, plan on making a PSU Guild on day one.

Spellbinder
Sep 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
ok so your saying the game is a pushover...without monsters or bosses to kill that require a certain amount of skill/elite armor and weapons...wtf is the point of endgame....w/o endgame content your just grinding the whole time, and then your done, and you quit...how fun...

Pretty sure every other PSO was just like that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif and yet it's been fun for me since Dreamcast.

RoninJoku
Sep 11, 2006, 10:24 AM
I completely agree with keeping guilds out of PSU... For basically the same reasons Miyoko stated... Plus the added reason that guilds would destroy the friendly (almost forced) community aspect of the game... Need a party? just hop into a team and go! That was one of my favorite parts about PSO. Sure, sometimes people sucked, and sometimes you didn't talk... But the great part is that you never have to deal with them again if you don't want to. And you can always keep the friends you make while adventuring through partner cards...

If they DID have guilds... I imagine it would be near impossible to find open games, or meet new people, or even dodge the leetest attitude that often comes with guilds... And it's not like you can just choose to not be in a guild and totally dodge all of the crap. Because it effects the community as a whole.

Xeion
Sep 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
There is no Team either?

RoninJoku
Sep 11, 2006, 10:38 AM
On 2006-09-11 08:36, Xeion wrote:
There is no Team either?

No. Same thing anyway...

Miphesto
Sep 11, 2006, 10:48 AM
you do know that pso 'guilds' do exist right? lol...wether you want them or not they DO exist...but you do have a couple good points....maybe guilds arent for this game, it's not really an MMO after all....kinda is, kinda isnt...

Xeion
Sep 11, 2006, 10:52 AM
So they removed the Team we had in PSO?

DarkShadowX
Sep 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
If you mean the little Team System they had for PSOBB, then yes its gone.

sulfate
Sep 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
guild or no guild....i just wanna have some friends to interac with on day that im familiar with already.

Xeion
Sep 11, 2006, 10:56 AM
Ye that one http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RoninJoku
Sep 11, 2006, 11:00 AM
On 2006-09-11 08:48, Miphesto wrote:
you do know that pso 'guilds' do exist right? lol...wether you want them or not they DO exist...but you do have a couple good points....maybe guilds arent for this game, it's not really an MMO after all....kinda is, kinda isnt...

But I'm happy in my own world here, because I can just pretend those ones actually don't exist... And they won't completely overshadow the community. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

sulfate
Sep 11, 2006, 11:02 AM
u woul think they would improve on the team thing....well anyways o well right...maybe on the 360 we can use the dashboard to make rooms were people can join....upto 8 people can join a chatroom, so i would be using that.

Xeion
Sep 11, 2006, 11:12 AM
Don't hope to much. But voice chat would be awsome http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ORM-D
Sep 11, 2006, 11:35 AM
On 2006-09-11 08:11, Spellbinder wrote:

Pretty sure every other PSO was just like that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif and yet it's been fun for me since Dreamcast.

Same here. Ever since day one its been nothing but grinding to lvl 100 then eventually lvl 200.

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 12:07 PM
Wow, alot of response o_O

Anywho, I have to agree with PrinceJake on this one. I too, am a leader of a multi-game clan. We play Jedi Academy and Guild Wars and there is very little drama. The only way there would be drama if people are too intense or power hungry which is pretty stupid in a game. Id just want guild features for team chat and so my guild could all hang out ingame and go on missions together. And SpellBinder, you said it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

princejake2
Sep 11, 2006, 04:21 PM
At current, my clan plays Star Wars Battlefront II, Metal Gear Online, Call of Duty 2: BRO, Battlefield Modern Combat, and Area 51. Little to no drama. Check us out if you want though, http://s12.invisionfree.com/ACID.

I do plan on leading a PSU guild though. One of the better things about guilds/clans is that you can play with people you know, and have an easy way to get together and the like.

EJ
Sep 11, 2006, 04:27 PM
I wanna see something like from the .hack anime series if that is possible.

Miyoko
Sep 11, 2006, 06:47 PM
On 2006-09-11 07:49, Miphesto wrote:

On 2006-09-11 02:56, Miyoko wrote:

i think a guild would be nice, you only play with people you know, who are honest, and less likely to ninja you...and 'guild drama' wtf is that...you only get guild drama if you buy into it, just friggin ignore it, if your guild falls apart, your guild falls apart...join a new one and get on with your life...

Wow, way to -completely- miss the point and put words in my mouth. Certain bosses and monsters shouldn't NEED a certain number of players, or ESPECIALLY armor to defeat. That's what I loved about PSO, and hated about WoW -- Weather or not you kill a boss in PSO is largely determined on player skill, and barely at all on gear. Hell, I could go in and take down Dark Falz weilding nothing but greens/whites on PSO if I really wanted too. In WoW, if you try to take 40 people into Naxx who don't have t1-t2 raid gear, you're not going to get anywhere. Besides, who's to say there won't be endgame content without guilds?

I don't see a valid point anywhere in your argument, quite frankly.

"without monsters or bosses to kill that require a certain amount of skill/elite armor and weapons...wtf is the point of endgame...."

... I'm sorry, I don't see how "guild = endgame content". They're two very different things. You don't need a guild to experience endgame content in WoW. I've been in pickup raids before that did totaly fine. They're two totaly independant things, and I don't really see why you associate endgame content with guilds.

... And again -- How does having a guild let you "play with people you know, trust, etc." differ from playing with people on your partner card list? Are you just going to randomly accept partner cards untill your list is full of people you hate?

Guild drama happens, like it or not. Ignore it all you want, it can still be annoying.

Honestly people, the reason it's not in the game, is because it's pointless. If you're so desprate to have a guild, make an IRC channel... And watch as you never use it.

NOTE: This is mostly in refrence to "PSU only guilds". Some people have mentioned they host "multi-game guilds", which, while I personally think is still kinda ... redundant, I can understand why someone would do it. It's a way to keep tabs on friends and what games they play... But a PSU only guild... You already know they play anyways...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Miyoko on 2006-09-11 16:50 ]</font>

Garroway
Sep 11, 2006, 07:51 PM
I don't think that I've seen so many people hating so many useful functions. What exactly is so scary about guilds? I've played several MMO's and I think every one I played had some kind of guild system. I always thought of it as a sort of a larger group chat. I never encountered a "my guild is better than yours" kind of situation. It stands to reason that these situations do arise, but I fail to see how someone would get swept up in it without a desire to. The whole thing makes me wonder why people that dont even know me don't want me to be in a Guild filled with other people that they don't even know.

Usualy when I encounter strong feelings about seemingly trivial matters there is an underlying issue that nobody wants to bring up.

MilesShannara
Sep 11, 2006, 09:31 PM
Wow, I didnt want this to turn into an arguement of whether or not guilds suck, I was just curious if there'd be any ingame stuff. The answer is no, so those of us who are into guilds will have to keep on with X-Fire, forums, Vent servers and irc chats. No need to debate any of the things you guys are arguing about http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Keyeszx
Sep 11, 2006, 10:41 PM
is there clans at least

Garroway
Sep 12, 2006, 01:40 AM
All we do is argue. I can't honestly believe that you thought this wouldn't degenerate into "You shut up - No you shut up - No you shut up".

MilesShannara
Sep 12, 2006, 06:11 AM
@ Keyeszx - Theres clans for every game, whether or not the game has any clan options built into it is the question. There will certainly be PSU clans out there, I know I'm starting one for my friends simply so we're an organized group that can keep in touch.

@ Garroway - Sorry, I'm new to these boards. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif But now that you've explained this, I'd just like to say to all you guild haters... Shut up!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MilesShannara on 2006-09-12 04:12 ]</font>

princejake2
Sep 12, 2006, 06:33 AM
I'd just like to say to all you guild haters... Shut up!

QFT. I got your back bro.

Earthsunderer
Sep 12, 2006, 07:07 AM
And so, guild drama begins on this board.

May the drama llama be feed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DizzyDi
Sep 12, 2006, 07:12 AM
I don't see what the problem is with guilds in PSU. Sure, its not a needed feature but its one that I think will be a good one. Its an easy way to set up parties for the harder missions, talk to all your friends at once no matter where they are, and I THINK it breeds communities. Anybody who gets caught up in "guild drama" needs to take a step back and remember, ITS JUST AN ONLINE GAME!

AngelLight
Sep 12, 2006, 08:35 AM
NOTE: This is mostly in refrence to "PSU only guilds". Some people have mentioned they host "multi-game guilds", which, while I personally think is still kinda ... redundant, I can understand why someone would do it. It's a way to keep tabs on friends and what games they play... But a PSU only guild... You already know they play anyways...

My guild is a multi game guild and I see it as promoting this game to others in a different game. There's not going to be the population of players one would expect as there are in the major mmos....some may find this appealing of course, but quite a few will be turned off to the smaller pops especially in the "off times" or non peak internet usage times for any country or geographical area. By using a guild in such a manner, you're encouraging ppl that (I'd hope and assume) you like and respect along side you normally while at the same time doing your part to get the word out and expand the population as a whole.

However, some of what you're saying sounds like you've had a bad experience with guilds. First off let me say that traditionally (except for WoW as far as I remember) that a guild tends to focus on PvE and a clan tends to focus on PvP....this goes as far back as even the old PSOs and other older games. Now, this is a steriotype so dont take this to gospel truth, but on average the normal pvper tends to have soloist tendencies (and sometimes agressive personalities) while a pver tends to be more family or team minded players.....does this mean that a pver doesnt have what it takes to do pvp or vice versa? no. Does that mean that a PvPer can't make worthwhile teams? no, especially evident in some of your more squad based frag games like Ghost Recon. But perhaps part of the problem you experienced was that you were in a clan format (with a more pvp croud or those agressive tendencies) and you're more of a pve person...thus why you may of experienced "Drama".

Of course not everyone can get along with everyone else, so perhaps you just had a clash of personalities with one or a small group of people. In which case you shouldn't blanket statement all guilds because of an isolated problem. A good guild....a REALLY good guild...will have ppl who will gel together and can make things happen together as a team....its kind of like intuitive thinking really. If you dont have that, then that can cause drama.

There is one other benefit to a guild (or clan)..cohesion. Guilds tend to have more resources available to them. They have private forums for discussions and planning. they have things like Vent or TS servers because beyond any doubt voice coordination is way more efficient for attack strategies (even if all you're doing is kiting stuff all over a room as is the defacto tactic of PSO) and even PSO bosses can sometimes require preplanning. But most importantly, it fosters the family mentality. These are people (if its a good guild) that you can trust not to ninja you, trust to help you synch or make stuff for you if you bring them what they need to do it. these people share items they may of found that might not be of use to them but would be use to you all in the name of "making the team stronger". I can say with some certainty that the big groups that consistently won AOL cup or Famitsu Cup or even the Yahoo Cup we're well organized groups of people. Can you do it with just a small group of partner cards of people you can trust, sure there's nothing wrong with that. But if you were to take that a step further, would that not be a guild anyways if its the same people over and over?

Finally, I understand that some clans and guilds can foster an "elitest mentality"...all I can say is that, unless that's what you want (to stroke your epeen till the cows come home) then that wouldn't qualify as a good guild, wouldn't you think? If its not good, dump it and move on.

As for my own guild (that I happen to lead), we group together for all of the benefits I've mentioned above as well as for the added benefit of a consistant RP story element that we will be running. I play WoW and of course I raid....however I also play on an RP server in WoW (Kirin Tor) and I do RP from time to time. PSU will lend itself (in my opinion) to more RP opportunities....as such, combined with having a new game to play with, it was natural for myself and some of my members to jointly group up on here. We want to play both games (and yes we do also have real lives additionally), so making an extension of ourselves on this game was only natural.

Bottom line, I invite you to give the concept of guilds a fair shake on this game. Dont form prejudgmental stances on things till you've seen it with open, unbiased eyes. My guild, Twilight Requiem, is a joint PSU-WoW guild. We're not huge, but we are a good family orientated, casual guild. We have a good record and we watch out for each other and as our name grows so too does those who come and join up with us to help foster the good family relationship we have. If that wont do, then I've heard that there's a PSU specific guild in existance already called Freelance. I know nothing about them, but I'd imagine that any guild that can create themselves on a game that isn't out (in the states or europe at least) has to have some good bonding going on. If after you have looked into this you still feel the same way then that's your choice and opinion and you're entitled to it. But till then, you really should at least research it a bit more before fanning the flames of war with those who are guilded.

Best of luck to you.

MilesShannara
Sep 12, 2006, 09:16 AM
Wow... I couldnt have put it better myself, AngelLight.

Guilds FTW!

princejake2
Sep 12, 2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for enligthening me on the Guild VS Clan. I always assumed that Guilds were the name for MMO groups and Clans were for FPS, etc.

That means that techicnally, our Clan should be called a Guild. We are like a brotherhood. We all watch eatch others backs.

AngelLight
Sep 12, 2006, 10:27 AM
Well there is a bit more then that...but really on average the title guild or clan mainly reflects the focus of the group. In either case, that sense of brotherhood (or sisterhood as the case may be) is the hallmark of any really good organized guild or clan.

MilesShannara
Sep 12, 2006, 01:26 PM
Guilds and Clans are basically the same. It just depends on what game youre playing as to what term is more commonly used. My JKA/GW clan is known as Clan X, even on Guild Wars, just because we use the term clan instead of guild.

AngelLight
Sep 12, 2006, 01:35 PM
well, let me give you an example. On the older PSOs we used to have most of the groups there be called "guilds" (though some did in fact go by clans)...then battle mode comes out, and poof, a whole slew of "clans" popped up. It was at that point that there was a clear distinction between the two. You can look at NWN, and those who were really hard core RPers when by the term "guild" as it was seen as a throwback to the old school D&D feeling....

Yes, you can use the two terms interchangably now (guild wars is a good example of this cause the game itself calls the player groups 'guilds' even with the pvp focus) but on the older games there was a clear distinction between the two.

But of course you can call it whatever you want, I wont tell the internet police if you wont http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif