PDA

View Full Version : Another server for JP version

-STE-
Sep 12, 2006, 12:16 PM
They will add another server for the japanese players.

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/server/image/world.jpg

World1 and World2 servers

Maybe finally we can go online without problems.

But i didnt understand what they wrote about carachter i think u can make 4 carachter for every server... but cant play with same carachter in both..

dunno

DarkShadowX
Sep 12, 2006, 12:19 PM
Well this is certainly interesting, I wonder how this'll work out in the end.

-STE-
Sep 12, 2006, 12:20 PM
If u cant use same carachter on both servers will be boring i think mmmmmmm strange so need translation.

DarkShadowX
Sep 12, 2006, 12:22 PM
Here's a google translation, it doesn't look all that confusing.

PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE official sight

Network mode management official sight of up-to-date work “[huantashisutayunibasu]” of the Sega original RPG series “[huantashisuta]”.
About [huantashisutayunibasusaba] addition correspondence

We apply very annoyance and worry in everyone of everyone of the user and the authorized personnel with the various obstacles which after starting the network service occur, there is no excuse truly. We apologize from heart.

So far, as cause pursuit and investigation of the obstacle which becomes hindrance of network service are done it started executing server addition, but the circumstance which receives the opinion that the game play which even presently login it is not possible, stabilizes is not possible, is continued.

Receiving this kind of situation, when this each time, furthermore it increases the server, it did the server addition which accompanies the addition of the new 'world', the fact that the environment where simultaneously, it assures the drastic improvement of situation and is equal to everyone of the user and utilization can receive network service is constructed as a purpose, to endeavor to circumstance improvement.

Concretely, it directs to the end of test use of service and 'installs world 2 and' ('world 1' making redefine, it receives the former world), to be equal to everyone of the user the place where you offer the environment which utilization, it can receive network service it is existence. No soldier/finishing, that it can receive understanding, we ask may.

Furthermore, placing after the test use ending, according to promise heretofore you execute concerning the free service period extension to 10 ends of the month.

'Play method and additional schedule of the world which is installed anew' are as follows.
About the addition of the new 'world which accompanies server addition'

The offer of smoother game play environment as a purpose, new making 'the addition of the world execute,' we decided that it receives. Because of this, the stress which is in the midst of game playing is lightened and as the play environment which is stabilized is guaranteed, those which can do improvement concerning the circumstance which cannot be connected to the server we have supposed.
In order (however, to increase the server gradually, 20 o'clock concerning the congestion time zone at the time and the like of the ~24 it is supposed to completion of addition. that the circumstance which still login to the game is difficult happens)
'Additional of world' and play method

'The world' becomes the world where each one becomes independent completely. 'In world' between it is not possible to scramble communication, it is possible to select, but in the degree which login is done login it does in which 'world'.

In addition, one account (SEGA link ID and the password) with, 'in the world' every it is possible to 4 bodies to draw up the character data. 'World 2' the character data which is registered to opening is retained 'in world 1', but 'in world 2' login by the fact that you do, it is possible to draw up the character of 4 bodies and the total 8 bodies anew.

The one where we would like to start new and, from as for the one where we would like to raise Sawayama's character, 'we would like you to enjoy the play at of the world 2 which is established anew' know.
Future schedule

September 14th (wood) 19: 00~15 day (gold) 15: 00 extended men tenses
Periodic maintenance schedule is modified and expansion correspondence is done.
September 15th (gold)
As it ends test use, it is the schedule which installs the world and reopens service.
It continues late after the September according to circumstance and starts examining server addition.

It is as follows concerning the correspondence circumstance lapse and cause recognition of former trouble.
Corresponding circumstance of existing trouble

Corresponding circumstance of the trouble which is continued from sale day intermittently
Concerning the below-mentioned trouble, we corrected at 9/11 point in time

* The problem which the character writes and substitutes
* The problem which the character data winds and returns
* The problem where the lock of the character data is not cancelled long haul

The trouble which is in the midst of corresponding

* The problem which login it is not possible
* The problem which cannot be moved to the my room

About the source of trouble

Cause of the trouble which occurs so far has specified above supposing those due to the overflow of the database server with the fact that access concentrates. Originating in this, when writing the character data it substitutes, the winding return occurs, we spread to the trouble of the my room server simultaneously. It started doing the correspondence with program level and the addition correspondence and everyday maintenance execution of the server in order to evade this, but in the circumstance where the access which exceeds everyday that is continued, still drastic improvement of environment had not assured. Therefore, 'the new establishment of the world' in present stage, it executed, to assure the drastic improvement of circumstance.

As soon as possible, feeling at rest in everyone of the user, it starts endeavoring to the construction of the environment which you can utilize.
Network management sight top page
To SEGA official sight

The fact that it duplicates and reprints regardless of everything such as the document illustration photograph which is published to this site is prohibited

(C) SEGA

SephYuyX
Sep 12, 2006, 12:50 PM
In addition, one account (SEGA link ID and the password) with, 'in the world' every it is possible to 4 bodies to draw up the character data. 'World 2' the character data which is registered to opening is retained 'in world 1', but 'in world 2' login by the fact that you do, it is possible to draw up the character of 4 bodies and the total 8 bodies anew.

So, 1 ID yeilds 8 characters now eh? But I cant understand if the character you have in W1 will be playable in W2 or not.

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 12:56 PM
No.
Characters will not be readily transferrable between World 1 and World 2. Once a character is created on a world, it will be bound to that world.

It's kind of oxymoronic to have a "world" encapsulate 50 "universes". lol.

Also, in their explanation, they indeed verify that server load and database capacity were the problem to begin with. They are reporting that the server system as it was could not handle standard operation 24 hours/day, which was why maintenance was required so periodically. They report that with the addition of the second "World" having two systems handle the load should neutralize the situation at large. They will continue to test through September, but they are hopeful that this will bring the much sought after capacity.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 11:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 13:26 ]</font>

-STE-
Sep 12, 2006, 01:08 PM
Sound strange, if like this so japanese will have 2 servers not connected of course players will choose one, then after started play wont change to other one server and restart with lv1 carachter..

Funny if compared to PSO where all servers was linked without problems.

Now maybe we will have Jp1 Jp2 Eu and US servers if US and EU will not be linked.

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 01:12 PM
On 2006-09-12 11:08, -STE- wrote:
Funny if compared to PSO where all servers was linked without problems.

Now maybe we will have Jp1 Jp2 Eu and US servers if US and EU will not be linked.

I say wait before making that assumption.
As mentioned in a numebr of threads before, they are still considering server links and have not taken it off the table. However, if there is deviation in version and content between the JP and EU/US servers, then linking would be impossible.

TheStoicOne
Sep 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
This is confusing. So there is a possible migration to the opposite world that one of your characters is on? So does that mean if your character was made in world 1 you'll have to pick a character on world 2 to trade spaces with? That is of course if you've created all 8 of your characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheStoicOne on 2006-09-12 11:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheStoicOne on 2006-09-12 11:15 ]</font>

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 01:20 PM
On 2006-09-12 11:13, TheStoicOne wrote:
This is confusing. So there is a possible migration to the opposite world that one of your characters is on? So does that mean if your character was made in world 1 you'll have to pick a character on world 2 to trade spaces with? That is of course if you've created all 8 of your characters.

The only way it would work is if you have not created a character on World 2 once it's opened.
This isn't a one time move whenever you want.
Chances are, there will be criteria to the migration, so we'll have to wait for more details pertaining to that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 11:21 ]</font>

TheStoicOne
Sep 12, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'll feel constricted.

-STE-
Sep 12, 2006, 02:05 PM
I understand this, will be like others games as ff and wow.
I think so...

I dont mind about japanese players , they can choose where they want play or if im not wrong they can play on both server with different carachters.

Im just wondering about EU and US servers maybe they wont be linked if game sell lots copy.
I think they will made 2 servers as jp1 and jp2 for dont have same problems.

Sev
Sep 12, 2006, 02:17 PM
On 2006-09-12 11:23, TheStoicOne wrote:
I'll feel constricted.

I know what you mean. But it's for the good of the community over there. It says that as is, the servers won't be able to run normally... And that would harm the players more then a seperation of servers.

Well, it'd be nice to get a full translation of this article, this is really front page news. Hopefully this does solve the problem though. Do you think they're going to move players over to world 2 by default or anything?

Rune
Sep 12, 2006, 02:38 PM
I gotta say, this sounds like something out of Final Fantasy XI or World of Warcraft. A shame that, if I'm understanding this correctly, they'll be splitting the PSU population in two. Doesn't look so good for JP/NA/EU cross compatibility if the same thing happens in each region.

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 03:11 PM
I've sat down and translated it, and I'm going to have to eat my own mistranslation. Migration has not been guaranteed up to this point. Once world 2 opens for business, the current world will become "World 1" for nomenclature sake.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 03:34 PM
It seems like the main problem was that server structure wasn't very scalable at all?

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 03:57 PM
On 2006-09-12 13:34, A2K wrote:
It seems like the main problem was that server structure wasn't very scalable at all?

Right On.
There was no implementation at all for overflow, so when the servers got hammered, the system simply broke down.
On the PSU Uploader site, someone posted a picture of what the RO server structure looks like, it basically divides the character data management between the servers, equalizing the load. Not that at this point they could implement that, but if one World can "almost" handle it, two most definitely could.

Anyways, here's a reading translation:

"We realize that there have been many inconveniences for both the players and our personnel since the Network service began. There is no excuse for our underestimation and we apologize profusely. When the original determination of the network issues had been completed, we attempted to alleviate the issue with the addition of more Universes, however, this did not resolve the Login problems, nor completely stabilize the game.

Facing the situation at hand, we have decided to install an entire new "World" to Phantasy Star Universe. The addition of an entirely new server will drastically improve game performance by balancing load, allowing the network to operate as designed. After this installation, we should more than be able to meet our goal of completing the balance of network stability according to schedule. We again, ask for your understanding as we finalize this major change to the network. This addition and announcement will not affect our decision to grant a free month's play (through October) to eligible players as previously announced.

Concerning the installation of the new "World":

Server load distribution for The new "World"

To offer a smoother gameplay environment, we have decided to implement an additional world of universes. The alleviation of the server load and balance between the two worlds will guarantee players will be able to log into the game whenever it is available (though the servers will still have a high population during peak hours, 8pm - Midnight JST).

World implementation and gameplay topology

Each "World" will be completely independent. It will not be possible to openly move between Worlds. You will be able to select the desired World to log into when starting Network play. Each account (unique SEGAlink ID and password) will be able to create up to 4 character per world (up to a total of 8). New characters will be bound to the world they are created in.

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/server/image/world.jpg

Current Schedule:

9/14 1900 - 9/15 1500: Maintenance
Periodic Maintenance will be accompanied by the installation of the new World.

9/15
Once our testing of the new World ends, the game will reopen for service. An update to the PSU client will be distributed.

For the remainder of the month, the newly established worlds will be monitored in accordance with previous announcements.

Concerning known issues:

The following issues, which have been intermittent since launch have been resolved as of 9/11:

-Character Data Overwriting
-Unnecessary Character Data Reloading
-Overtime Character data locking

As of now, we are working on the following:

-Login Problem
-My Room access problems
(Note: Pending installation of World 2)

Concerning any continued issues

Restating our findings, tthe problems which have been so far identified are due to overflow in the databases, which lead to character reloading and character overwriting. In our multi-pronged effort to alleviate the more serious issues, our hand was forced to make some system changes, which lead to other problems inadvertently. We began inspecting data and information from the code level up, in addition to performing daily maintenance to ensure some modicum of usability for the players, and were met with some success, however there was simply too few resources to meet access requirements. Therefore, the addition of this new "World" should dramatically improve the game's stability.

Everyone should feel at ease moving forward, as we are continuing to build a network environment in which everyone can participate."

*I apologize if I confused anyone with my original assertion regarding character data after the server opening, I misinterpreted the red note at the bottom of the server picture. It basically states that the current set of universes that are now in use will be known as "World 1" once the new World is installed and active.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 14:54 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 04:07 PM
I certainly hope that is a temporary measure, and that in the future for the long term, they'll be able to fuse the two together and implement a new, scalable, and unified server structure. Although, by the time that occurs I assume I'll be long transferred over to the US/EU servers.

And... "Multiverse" would probably be a better term than "World". Someone tell Sonic Team that.

drakkula
Sep 12, 2006, 05:05 PM
the thing is.....what if I created a char(i only want to have one!!) and I decided to play in the first world...then a friend of mine, with his char obviously, got bound to the world 2.....we would never be able to play together!!

if i understood that right, it doesnt sound a good idea at all!!!

TheStoicOne
Sep 12, 2006, 05:13 PM
Then youcould create another character on the world that his haracter is on.

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:17 PM
You can jump between any of the (what, 12+ servers?) in World 1, for example and use any of your 4 characters created for that WORLD.

I don't think you can make 4 more characters. if like you only made 1 character in World 1, you can make up to 3 for WORLD 2.

That's what they seem to be saying. either that or you can have 4 in each of the Worlds.

and each world is made up of multiple servers anyway so it's not as constricted as say the FF11 Servers, where you need a world pass to switch servers and even then you have to make a new character.

so overall PSU worlds and servers systems looks to be pretty fair. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ether
Sep 12, 2006, 05:21 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:17, Saner wrote:
I don't think you can make 4 more characters. if like you only made 1 character in World 1, you can make up to 3 for WORLD 2.

On 2006-09-12 13:57, uhawww wrote:
Each account (unique SEGAlink ID and password) will be able to create up to 4 character per world (up to a total of 8)

Serious reading comprehension failure there.

Overall I think this is really bad news, one of the things I loved about PSO was that everyone played together, instead of being split between many servers ala games like FFXI or WoW. Hopefully they don't have to split up the English version like this

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ether on 2006-09-12 15:22 ]</font>

TheStoicOne
Sep 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
No its 8 character. Look at the diagram. They have numbers on each character slot. Box(1), Box(2), Box(3), and Box (4) are all in the World1 part of the diagram, While there are 4 other boxes 5-8 in the world2 side of the diagram.

Dirty_Filthy
Sep 12, 2006, 05:23 PM
I think splitting the community apart is a terrible idea, but hey, they're the pros..

Everyone should feel at ease moving forward, as we are continuing to build a network environment in which everyone can participate.

That, however, makes it sound like it may only be a temporary solution.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dirty_Filthy on 2006-09-12 15:29 ]</font>

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:26 PM
Overall I think this is really bad news, one of the things I loved about PSO was that everyone played together, instead of being split between many servers ala games like FFXI or WoW. Hopefully they don't have to split up the English version like this

each world is made up of several servers players can jump between.

so there still is more freedom, it's just that you can't use your world 1 characters in the world 2 servers.

but considering world 1 already has like, what, 12 servers, that isn't such a loss.

Ether
Sep 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:26, Saner wrote:
Hi, I havent played the game yet, but talk as if I am an expert on everything

TheStoicOne
Sep 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
And now we can make each gender of each class.

SSNX
Sep 12, 2006, 05:41 PM
Wow, that sounds poorly designed. Just redesign the network and reissue the game already, don't waste time with inconvenient fixes. >_>

How hard would it be to have Universe 51-100 in a different server centre from Universe 1-50, and just forward users to that IP when they want. Also have a different character server for so many accounts (say 20,000 each) that are not attached to the Universe servers. That would require a lot of reprogramming but what they're doing now would need quite a bit too.

Rubesahl
Sep 12, 2006, 05:51 PM
I dunno, all the mmorpgs have this -shrugs- Don't see the big deal. Not like WoW. When I used to play it and I'd meet someone who played it I'd be 'praying' that we were on the same servers since there's so many of them. Here its not that much of a problem. Especially if you make 2 on one world and two on the other. You can have two with two diff classes in one and 1 with the class you're missing on the other http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif that's what I would do anyways http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif Anyways that's my two cents http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Also, I wouldn't doubt this being applied over here O_o

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 05:52 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:41, SSNX wrote:
Just redesign the network and reissue the game already

Phantasy Star Universe, Q3 2007

Honestly, I don't see too much of a problem with this. The JP community is so freakin' big at the moment that a split may be good for it. Also, there hasn't been enough time for a solid community to really coalesce, so if there's gonna be independent servers, now is the time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 16:00 ]</font>

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:54 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:29, Ether wrote:

On 2006-09-12 15:26, Saner wrote:
Hi, I havent played the game yet, but talk as if I am an expert on everything

I was talking about how we are still not limited to a single Universe despite the added world that houses another batch of Universes our world 1 characters can't go to.

So it isn't all bad.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 05:56 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:41, SSNX wrote:
Wow, that sounds poorly designed. Just redesign the network and reissue the game already, don't waste time with inconvenient fixes. >_>

How hard would it be to have Universe 51-100 in a different server centre from Universe 1-50, and just forward users to that IP when they want. Also have a different character server for so many accounts (say 20,000 each) that are not attached to the Universe servers. That would require a lot of reprogramming but what they're doing now would need quite a bit too.

Don't forget that logins themselves are handled by a separate server. Simply adding more game servers won't fix the issues with that in particular.

It seems that this is indeed a temporary stopgap. It doesn't really require a whole lot of reprogramming as they just simply clone the setup they have now and give users an extra choice as to what login server to connect to to start with.

SSNX
Sep 12, 2006, 06:03 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:52, uhawww wrote:
Phantasy Star Universe, Q3 2007Maybe something to fix in the expansion. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 06:03 PM
so world 2 would still have the same problems world 1 has, huh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 06:08 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:03, Saner wrote:
so world 2 would still have the same problems world 1 has, huh? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Again, the problem is not with the design of the game as far as operation, but by what is a by-product of the server overloading, since, as eluded to earlier, the system isn't scalable. World 1 can 'almost' handle things on it's own, but reaches critical mass when pressed. Adding a second world will equalize the load, allowing for normalcy in operation.

If you read the report, you'd see this...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 16:09 ]</font>

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:08, uhawww wrote:

On 2006-09-12 16:03, Saner wrote:

Again, the problem is not with the design of the game as far as operation, but by what is a by-product of the server overloading, since, as eluded to earlier, the system isn't scalable. World 1 can 'almost' handle things on it's own, but reaches critical mass when pressed. Adding a second world will equalize the load, allowing for normalcy in operation.

If you read the report, you'd see this...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-12 16:09 ]</font>

well they shouldn't have been so cheap as to avoid adding extra world/servers/universes just in case.

So many problems could have been avoided at launch.

Will Sega of America repeat the same mistake? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 06:14 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:11, Saner wrote:
well they shouldn't have been so cheap as to avoid adding extra world/servers/universes just in case.

So many problems could have been avoided at launch.

Will Sega of America repeat the same mistake? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I can't argue with that.
Sega really REALLY lowballed themselves here, hopefully this will clear up.
I have some sunflowers I need to put in My Room

ORM-D
Sep 12, 2006, 06:55 PM
If you guys have ever heard of Maple Story this is exactly what it is like. Server wise that is.

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:55, ORM-D wrote:
If you guys have ever heard of Maple Story this is exactly what it is like. Server wise that is.

Ahh MapleStory, in what other game can you kill giant mushrooms with a snowboard...

GaijinPUnch
Sep 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
I would assume that once the community dies down (another 8 months or so) we might see the two world's combined. Who knows though. A bad idea? Yeah, terrible. However, it should be fairly obvious that this is a low-level problem that server patch will simply not fix. A terrible design though if you ask me. I don't see why charater data can't reside on it's own cluster, and the games handled by other servers. If the network can't handle it, just add more servers.

Blueblur
Sep 12, 2006, 07:40 PM
If they had focused a lot of their resources towards the networking aspect of the game thye wouldn't be in this predicament. For all the time they spent designing the game, they should have spent the same amount of time ensuring that their network code and server structure was going to be reliable in a pinch (which would be population saturation). Big mistake on Sega's part.

zandra117
Sep 12, 2006, 07:48 PM
If they are gonna have 2 worlds that cannot interact with eachother and characters are binded to each world then most people will stick to whatever world their main character is on. That wouldn't have fixed their problem because people will still stick to the characters that they made on the 1st server. and it will still be crowded. I think they should just seperate the pc and ps2 so each console is on their own servers. Problem solved.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 12, 2006, 08:49 PM
Big mistake on Sega's part.

Not the first, and definitely not the last. I still stand by my "they should've ditched story mode from day 1" claim.

Parn
Sep 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
I have to concur. My interest in story mode has always been fairly minor from the get-go, and my addiction to Phantasy Star Online was from its multiplayer aspect and unique atmosphere... Phantasy Star Universe to me was an enhancement of that. I logged on to online mode the moment I turned the game on... story mode was touched only during server downtime.

Ether
Sep 12, 2006, 08:58 PM
On 2006-09-12 17:48, zandra117 wrote:
I think they should just seperate the pc and ps2 so each console is on their own servers. Problem solved.

I can see the topics now "the Japanese PC version is in danger!!!! ghost town central???? "

VR-Raiden
Sep 12, 2006, 09:14 PM
On 2006-09-12 18:49, GaijinPUnch wrote:

Big mistake on Sega's part.

Not the first, and definitely not the last. I still stand by my "they should've ditched story mode from day 1" claim.

EXACTLY how I feel. They should have made 2 separate games or something, one for the online and one for story. I wouldn't even have cared if the offline mode was just like PSO's, I was almost always online anyway. I can see myself never touching story mode unless the servers are down, in which case I will have plenty other games to play (this fall rules)...so maybe not even then.

Xx3of19xX
Sep 12, 2006, 09:29 PM
And this is why you should have an OPEN beta test.
I mean Sega really dropped the ball on this. They designed the servers to be able to handle 20000 players based on a closed beta with what 10000 players and then at release ship 100.000 units of the PS2 version alone. Hmm, who could have seen this coming...
Had they had an open beta this problem would have been caught. We might have seen another delay in the game, but at least they'd have noticed their system isn't scalable the way it is.
Guild Wars doesn't have split servers and enjoys a rather large community, so it is possible to do this right. Heck, even Blue Burst has server side saves (but somehow I doubt it has 100.000 players).

Haze2in1
Sep 12, 2006, 09:31 PM
I wonder If we will get a choice, to which world we want to reside in or will it be that ST would put most of the people who are playing now in W1 and the new players on W2............

Phaze37
Sep 12, 2006, 09:35 PM
I didn't read much of this topic but I read all I needed to read, that characters cannot be moved between the two "worlds"

THAT IS COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL****!!

PSO's best feature was the ability to play with anyone. One of the main reasons I quit WoW was because I had to choose which group of friends I wanted to play with because they were each playing on different servers. Now the same bs is happening in PSU. I know it's only two worlds compared to WoW's many servers, but it was just nice to be able to meet random people, find out that they play PSO too, and say "hey lets meet up on vega block 8" and be able to play together. It was annoying in WoW, I'd talk to people at work who played the game and I couldn't play it with them. I am so incredibly disapointed by this, I just really hope they don't do this for the NA/EU servers.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 09:42 PM
Again, for those that are suggesting it, you can't just "throw more servers" and expect everything to suddenly work better. The flaw is in the network's design, the fixing of which would probably require an overhaul. This is a stopgap measure.

Removing Story Mode from the equation probably wouldn't have made much difference. Once the core game engine was in place the programmers likely would have been more focused on netcode and actual game assets like areas and items (many of which are shared) anyway, accomodations specfically for story mode consisting mostly of minor-level things like scripting and timing and what have you.

In any case, I doubt any of this will have any real relevance to the western servers, provided the servers aren't suddenly overwhelmed as they were in Japan.

On 2006-09-12 19:35, Phaze37 wrote:
PSO's best feature was the ability to play with anyone. One of the main reasons I quit WoW was because I had to choose which group of friends I wanted to play with because they were each playing on different servers. Now the same bs is happening in PSU. I know it's only two worlds compared to WoW's many servers, but it was just nice to be able to meet random people, find out that they play PSO too, and say "hey lets meet up on vega block 8" and be able to play together. It was annoying in WoW, I'd talk to people at work who played the game and I couldn't play it with them. I am so incredibly disapointed by this, I just really hope they don't do this for the NA/EU servers.

You're free to create characters on "World 2" to play with friends there, the only restriction is that you can't cross the worlds with the same characters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-12 19:47 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Sep 12, 2006, 09:45 PM
Removing Story Mode from the equation probably wouldn't have made much difference.

It was still time not well spent.

Sev
Sep 12, 2006, 10:03 PM
Classic.

Sega says it's ok. Everyone disagrees.

Everyone wants to get online, they say it's possible. But no one is happy.

I love fans.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 10:05 PM
On 2006-09-12 19:45, GaijinPUnch wrote:

Removing Story Mode from the equation probably wouldn't have made much difference.

It was still time not well spent.

It's also rather irrelevant to the matter at hand.

In any case, one does have to wonder what effect, if any, this will have on the western releases of the game. In a lot of ways, our servers can almost be called "World 3", given how they'll be separated.

I want as much as anyone for the game to be successful here, but if it's too successful we could see the same measures being taken here, unless Sonic Team has already come up with a new, more efficient structuring by then. Assuming that this World 1/World 2 business is temporary, they're probably throwing around a few ideas if not working on it already.

PrinceBrightstar
Sep 12, 2006, 10:12 PM
I understand the decision.

If sega doesnt do this, they can't fix "my room." Basically My room is a 51st universe. if there are more than the max, you get locked out. This will double my room space. Will it be enough? We wait for world 3.

Until servers get better and faster, separation will be permament.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-09-12 20:13 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Sep 12, 2006, 10:22 PM

Do you have any clue how a budget works?

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 10:44 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:22, GaijinPUnch wrote:

Do you have any clue how a budget works?

Non sequitur. This thread is about issues with Network Mode. The presence or absence of Story Mode has no bearing in what's going on in reality. We could speculate how the game might have turned out without The Adventures of Ethan and Friends(TM), but you can't definitively say that these issues would not exist in its absence.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-12 20:45 ]</font>

Niki
Sep 12, 2006, 10:48 PM
Does anyone see more than 20% of players using World 2?

My characters are all on World 1, which, if I understand correctly, is everyone's situation right now. If characters are bound in the World of their creation, and let's face it these characters take a long time to mature, there's no way in hell I am rerolling on another World just because I can now play both genders of every race. One character is more than enough in its demand for time and effort for someone like me.

Any other opinions?

GaijinPUnch
Sep 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
but you can't definitively say that these issues would not exist in its absence.

I could easily say "at least they weren't spending the budget/time on a the weakest selling point of the game which they should've done away with". I'm not saying the problems wouldn't be absent, but you cannot say that Story Mode had absolutely no affect on the quality/timeframe of Network mode (and vice versa for that matter).

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 10:53 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:50, GaijinPUnch wrote:

but you can't definitively say that these issues would not exist in its absence.

I could easily say "at least they weren't spending the budget/time on a the weakest selling point of the game which they should've done away with". I'm not saying the problems wouldn't be absent, but you cannot say that Story Mode had absolutely no affect on the quality/timeframe of Network mode (and vice versa for that matter).

Of course not. The point I'm trying to get at is that we can't really waste too much of our time with extraneous "what if's", since we can't magically go back and see if things turn out differently.

The game is what it is, good parts and bad. It should be less of what they should have done and more of what they are doing to fix it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-12 21:00 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 12, 2006, 11:02 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:48, Niki wrote:
Any other opinions?
Heh, my choice on whether I stay on World 1 or not is solely dependant on how crowded it remains. Universe 5 is consistently packed to the brim, which leads me to just making a character on World 2 and going from there. Granted, I'd have to start over a third time, but the game has been fun enough that I really don't mind it. And I'll be starting over yet once more when the US release hits anyways.

uhawww
Sep 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
I say, let Sega handle their business.
They've done a more than decent job at managing and alleviating what could easily be construed as a "disaster"
Most of you won't even be on the JP servers past October 24th...

Shadow_Wing
Sep 12, 2006, 11:19 PM
To me, this is Sega's "quick fix" solution for the time being, permanent or temporary I'm unsure. It is obvious that the server is being waaaaay too overloaded, and by essentially doubling the server capacity, it can solve many of the network mode problems that are connected to server overloading.

Simply put, instead of adding more servers and attempting to hard code them to link to eachother, which I might add takes conderable amount of time and money, they instead threw this solution down as something to get network mode at least running. You just can't expect to say "throw more servers at the game and hope in hell it'll work" in the real world it just doesn't work that way.

Niki
Sep 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
On 2006-09-12 21:02, Parn wrote:

Heh, my choice on whether I stay on World 1 or not is solely dependant on how crowded it remains. Universe 5 is consistently packed to the brim, which leads me to just making a character on World 2 and going from there. Granted, I'd have to start over a third time, but the game has been fun enough that I really don't mind it. And I'll be starting over yet once more when the US release hits anyways.

This is a valid point, but someone like me just doesn't have the time and motivation for that. You're right, the game is fun regardless, and to be honest I really haven't had much trouble getting online, which I guess has more to do with the times that I play.

And yes, I'll also be starting over for the US version, hopefully wiser for this warm-up. Which almost feels like a setback. Almost.

On 2006-09-12 21:11, uhawww wrote:
I say, let Sega handle their business.

Well, we don't really have any choice. Either play by their rules or don't play at all. I guess I'm just not confident that this will actually alleviate anyone's complaints. Wait and see, I suppose.

Phaze37
Sep 12, 2006, 11:31 PM
You're free to create characters on "World 2" to play with friends there, the only restriction is that you can't cross the worlds with the same characters.

I know, but if my characters are on world 1 and I meet someone with characters on world 2, I'd have to start over at level 1 and I probably won't be able to catch up to him. Technically, I can play with him, the same way I could technically have played with all of my friends on different WoW servers, but I'm not going to have the time to build multiple characters at once and keep up with friends in both worlds. I really don't want to see the NA/EU playerbase divided.

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 13, 2006, 01:09 PM
with two worlds, does that mean that one can have up to 8 characters on a single account?

watashiwa
Sep 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
On 2006-09-13 11:09, Shiroryuu wrote:
with two worlds, does that mean that one can have up to 8 characters on a single account?

Jesus Christ, learn to read. This was already answered some pages back... MORE THAN ONCE.