PDA

View Full Version : Minor News on PS2 and Xbox360 versons in new EGM.

xenokai
Sep 12, 2006, 04:30 PM
This is some comments i got out of Oct EGM....

+ Ps2 PSU players will be on the same servers as PC Questers, but Xbox 360 users can only play with their own kind.....

+ We spied some slowdown while playing online with 6 players on PS2, but the xbox 360 version ran smoothly.

+ All of these screens in this preview hail from the PC version of PSU, which is a dead ringer for the XB360 game.

Thats just some bits of the preview. It looks like the PC version will be my choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xenokai on 2006-09-12 14:33 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 04:41 PM
On 2006-09-12 14:30, xenokai wrote:
+ All of these screens in this preview hail from the PC version of PSU, which is a dead ringer for the XB360 game.

Dead ringer of the PC version at what settings?

xenokai
Sep 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
the 360 version is the pc version turned all the way up. with the highest resolution for hd tvs and the 360. The games graphic for psu arent really up to scale with other 360 games like elder scrolls so it can run it easily i guess. Sad to see the ps2 ver will have slowdown tho.

Inu_Shadi
Sep 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
Looks like im gonna have to pick up the latest copy of EGM.

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
lol wow so now its the other way around, from what IGN said.

anyway a little slowdown doesn't hurt. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Ether
Sep 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:00, Saner wrote:
anyway a little slowdown doesn't hurt. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Oh trust me, there is more than "a little" slowdown in the PS2 version

xenokai
Sep 12, 2006, 05:05 PM
Its not really that big of a preview but if ya want i can show ya the preview...

Foxix
Sep 12, 2006, 05:06 PM
well in my opinion slowdown isn't so much of a problem, it just depends on how much and how its dealt with http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif take shadow of the collossus for example, tons of slowdown but fortunately a lot of it is masked with a very nice blurr effect. If the slow down however is still limited to everyone decking out the PA's then it should be a minimal problem. I will still pick up the PS2 version simply because its MUCH more convenient for me.

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
ya besides when it slowdowns we can pretend its a cool occasional slowmotion effect. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Parn
Sep 12, 2006, 05:11 PM
Slowdown in Phantasy Star Universe affects your actual gameplay ability. There's nothing "cool" about it. Ask the PC users on low-end PCs on how they fall behind in parties because their framerate stutters.

BlueInfinity
Sep 12, 2006, 05:16 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:09, Saner wrote:
ya besides when it slowdowns we can pretend its a cool occasional slowmotion effect. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

FINALLY!!! there is someone who is able to look on the bright side of a bad situation.

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:23 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:11, Parn wrote:
Slowdown in Phantasy Star Universe affects your actual gameplay ability. There's nothing "cool" about it. Ask the PC users on low-end PCs on how they fall behind in parties because their framerate stutters.

oh come now, they didn't say the slowdown happens 24/7, it can be adapted to and if the situation is serious, ppl can always choose to form or join smaller parties. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

besides it's better than dealing with Xbox360's culture of voice chat fans.
being a keyboard text bubble chat fan, I wouldn't get along with such a community. and not playing with voice chat people, + X360's smaller community = even less to meet and play with which means less chances to find the right people! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

So ya PS2 version online won't be as bad as they say, only graphics fanatics would complain. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

kazuma56
Sep 12, 2006, 05:32 PM
I going to agree with Saner, the PS2 will probably be around a "medium" range PC as opposed to a outright "Lowend" PC, My old Celeron in theory, should have been able to handle PSO:BB at a decent framerate and at least "run" it better then the DC did (the game is damn 5-6 years old now) but it didn't.

It was a:
Celeron 2.50 ghz
1 gig ram
geforce fx 5500 256mb PCI video card

I know that the PCI bus is quite slow but still, a game that ran on the dreamcast at locked FPS and showed no signs of slowdown most of the time should be able to run on a PC with better processor speed and more ram and an arguably better graphics card (cache is low, but even so...).

That being said, the "slowdown" featured in PSU on the PS2 will probably be equivalent to someone using a okay PC with all the features maxed like the PS2 version.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 05:36 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:23, Saner wrote:
oh come now, they didn't say the slowdown happens 24/7, it can be adapted to and if the situation is serious, ppl can always choose to form or join smaller parties. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You seriously cannot be advocating "don't play this game to its full potential" as a solution, can you?

zandra117
Sep 12, 2006, 05:38 PM
Sounds like Sonicteam fixed the problems reported in the IGN preview, my worries about the 360 version are now gone.

Miphesto
Sep 12, 2006, 05:39 PM
if this information is even true......
i can live with a lower population...even if 360 is half of the pc population, it'll be more than you ever need...

keeping in mind people...that yes, wow has like 7million subscriptions sold...BUT, you can only MERELY play with a few thousand on a server at once....

pso you play with also, THOUSANDS....it doesnt matter how big the population is, because i guarantee, psu on 360 will have at LEAST the population of the largest WOW server...and the only reason i use wow as an example is because it is the most popular MMO at the moment....

if 360's population is the only letdown in the game, i'm sure it will be unnoticeable...so i aint gonna trip...my big ass comfy chair, and my 52" HDTV is alot more comfortable than my computer chair, and it's 19" screen...and plus i will enjoy voice chat...

so as for PC being a 'dead ringer' gimme a break....

i hope all of you hopefulls have PCs with 2gb of ram and at least a 512 mb video card, and nothing less than a 3.5ghz processor...or else you'll be in the same boat as the ps2 users...

good graphics card for computer - 400$
xbox 360 premium - 400$

thank you and goodnight

Miphesto
Sep 12, 2006, 05:40 PM
oh, also there are 2 factions of wow, so cut the 'few thousand per server' by half, because half play alliance, and half play horde

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 05:49 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:36, A2K wrote:

On 2006-09-12 15:23, Saner wrote:

You seriously cannot be advocating "don't play this game to its full potential" as a solution, can you?

I was exaggerating the worst possible scenario. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

they wouldn't have included 6 player parties option if it was technically unplayable on PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

some reviewers and previewers make things seem better and worse than they really are.

I experienced countless cases like this and the things ppl said about games I eventually played were completely overexaggerated.

McLaughlin
Sep 12, 2006, 05:51 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:16, BlueInfinity wrote:

On 2006-09-12 15:09, Saner wrote:

FINALLY!!! there is someone who is able to look on the bright side of a bad situation.

It isn't thinking on the bright side, that's being completely contradictory to previous statements Saner made about the Xbox 360's "serious slowdowns which affect the game."

It's like this:

"Haha, the 360 has mega slowdown!! I don't care if it was a betabuild or not!!"

*post of credible source discrediting IGN*

"Oh...well slowdowns are cool on the PS2 anyway!"

In either case, this only bolsters my confidence in the 360's version, since I can't play on PC and refuse to play on my PS2. But if it can make fun-wrecking framerate issues "cool", then maybe I should give it a chance.

Garroway
Sep 12, 2006, 05:52 PM
Did EGM give any information on how current their sources are?

ShinMaruku
Sep 12, 2006, 05:56 PM
Ya klnow this is gonna be funny on a PS3... Either I'll laugh or I'll cuss. Then I'd frig with code

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 06:01 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:51, Zeta wrote:

I never desired the Xbox360 version to have slowdown, it's good they fixed it.

but I dealt with slowdown, framerate drops and lag almost constantly in FF11, so PSU for PS2 will definitely not be as bad as that game.

after all, the majority of Japanese players are playing this on PS2.

wouldn't you think the 20,000+ ppl playing online would not keep playing if the slowdown was so bad?

Z-man
Sep 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
It isn't thinking on the bright side, that's being completely contradictory to previous statements Saner made about the Xbox 360's "serious slowdowns which affect the game."

It's like this:

"Haha, the 360 has mega slowdown!! I don't care if it was a betabuild or not!!"

*post of credible source discrediting IGN*

"Oh...well slowdowns are cool on the PS2 anyway!"

In either case, this only bolsters my confidence in the 360's version, since I can't play on PC and refuse to play on my PS2. But if it can make fun-wrecking framerate issues "cool", then maybe I should give it a chance.
Haha. You nailed it. Thanks for pointing this out. The inconsistencies displayed by the anti-360 crowd are so irritating.

Marik
Sep 12, 2006, 06:06 PM
I can't for the 360 version. Hopefully it has good Achievements.

Polly
Sep 12, 2006, 06:09 PM
I have the PS2 and PC versions of the game. Trust me, the slowdown is bad. Enough to make me cancel my PS2 domestic pre-order-bad and forego having the PS2 there at my convenience, because it's simply not a convenience. Those making the slowdown out to be a "minor inconvenience" are full of shit. If the slowdown is so bad when I'm playing offline with 3 NPCs, I don't even want to imagine how bad it's gonna get with 6 people + enemies and Photon Arts flying every which way. Relics was bad enough, I don't even care to try Neudaiz, but I may have to and cap it sometime and show how bad the slowdown really is.

Not only is the slowdown grating, the fact that quick switching weapons is also hampered with 1-1.5 seconds of load time per weapon. There were times I'd select a weapon and literally have nothing in my hands for a second and even when the weapon appeared, I either couldn't attack with it or the sounds hadn't loaded yet. This left me getting pummelled and with no choice but to fall back until the system had caught up. That simply does not happen on the PC version. It will be a disadvantage for PS2 players and PS2 players grouping with PC players.

But eh. It's just a minor inconvenience. At least when I use my Rising Strike Photon Art and it's all in slow motion I can swing my camera around and be like The Matrix :)

McLaughlin
Sep 12, 2006, 06:10 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:01, Saner wrote:

but I dealt with slowdown, framerate drops and lag almost constantly in FF11, so PSU for PS2 will definitely not be as bad as that game.

wouldn't you think the 20,000+ ppl playing online would not keep playing if the slowdown was so bad?

One would assume after being proven wrong umpteen times, you'd just go away.

Apparently assumptions are worthless.

ShinMaruku
Sep 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
If they frig up I'm going to be laughing at all of you! (Not just merly the x-bots but everybody they frig over)
I would not put much credence to Sonic Team yet....

Rubesahl
Sep 12, 2006, 06:14 PM
The 360 version will probably be superior in the sense that they know how to code better in consoles >_> [and with the ps2 version having slowdowns I am beginning to question this] The PC version asks for too much hardware for how the game looks. I'm not saying the game doesn't look great, it has amazing designs, color selection and a good engine, but for the amount of effects it has, it does not use hardware to its full potential. I find it right that you have to have 2.0+Ghz, 1gig ram and a 1st generation 256mb card like the Ati x800pro to run Oblivion nicely but when a PC with those same specs has slowdowns in 1280x1024 with PSU in max settings, I begin to question the engine's utilization of hardware O_o Anyways, I'm sticking with PC version cause I want to play with someone else in the house and we're not going to buy two 360s for that O_O;;

Deprimenthia
Sep 12, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have came to the decision that this is the worst multiplatform event ever to happen for me. A lot of you seem to be trying to sway others to the ps2, while a lot of you are trying to sway others to the 360.

And the choices arent that good for me. I HATE voice chat on RPGs. So bad. But it runs smoothly. And its isolated from PC and PS2 servers. I dont even have a 360 either.

The ps2 has "tons of slowdown" but I have a PS2, and I prefer keyboard.

And I would need a new (probably expensive PC) to run it. Unless, could THIS run it? : http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110C&s=dhs

ANIMEniac
Sep 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
im happy that the 360 has some plusses, bc i will get it for 360 and probably also PC so i can be with all friends.

and Saner: i understand your dislike of XBL cause of Halo 2 stories, but me and some friends went from PSOX to blue burst and we aren't hated or anything ^_^. and i also had a friend on PSOX that refused to use a mic so she only types, and i thing she may do the same on PSU. all to say that i totaly respect and have no prob with u playing on ps2, but not all of us XBL players are jerks cause we like to talk on a mic, and you can still get around in the comunity with only typing.

Saner
Sep 12, 2006, 06:22 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:18, Deprimenthia wrote:
I have came to the decision that this is the worst multiplatform event ever to happen for me. A lot of you seem to be trying to sway others to the ps2, while a lot of you are trying to sway others to the 360.

And the choices arent that good for me. I HATE voice chat on RPGs. So bad. But it runs smoothly. And its isolated from PC and PS2 servers. I dont even have a 360 either.

The ps2 has "tons of slowdown" but I have a PS2, and I prefer keyboard.

And I would need a new (probably expensive PC) to run it. Unless, could THIS run it? : http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110C&s=dhs

well I think there will be many BXoxers who will only use keyboard chat online with this, I mean in all games I played on Xbox360 there are ppl who dont use headset at all. but do have keyboard when sending messages and stuff.

so I dunno if the technical aspect worries you then Xbox360 might be a safer option despite the server isolation.

VR-Raiden
Sep 12, 2006, 06:27 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:09, Triela wrote:
I have the PS2 and PC versions of the game. Trust me, the slowdown is bad. Enough to make me cancel my PS2 domestic pre-order-bad and forego having the PS2 there at my convenience, because it's simply not a convenience. Those making the slowdown out to be a "minor inconvenience" are full of shit. If the slowdown is so bad when I'm playing offline with 3 NPCs, I don't even want to imagine how bad it's gonna get with 6 people + enemies and Photon Arts flying every which way. Relics was bad enough, I don't even care to try Neudaiz, but I may have to and cap it sometime and show how bad the slowdown really is.

Not only is the slowdown grating, the fact that quick switching weapons is also hampered with 1-1.5 seconds of load time per weapon. There were times I'd select a weapon and literally have nothing in my hands for a second and even when the weapon appeared, I either couldn't attack with it or the sounds hadn't loaded yet. This left me getting pummelled and with no choice but to fall back until the system had caught up. That simply does not happen on the PC version. It will be a disadvantage for PS2 players and PS2 players grouping with PC players.

But eh. It's just a minor inconvenience. At least when I use my Rising Strike Photon Art and it's all in slow motion I can swing my camera around and be like The Matrix http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

uh... >_>

Anyway I'll be getting the ps2 version regardless, I don't really have a choice anyway. I'm not gonna let some slowdown ruin teh best game evar for me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Polly
Sep 12, 2006, 06:28 PM
That's called sarcasm. Doesn't go down too well around here.

Saiffy
Sep 12, 2006, 06:31 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:10, Zeta wrote:

On 2006-09-12 16:01, Saner wrote:

One would assume after being proven wrong umpteen times, you'd just go away.

Apparently assumptions are worthless.

PC games aren't huge in Japan. The majority of Japanese FFXI players played on PS2.

Thats enough to say this is probably just making a mountain out of an ant hill. Then again, once I do get a better PC in early 2007, I'll probably switch to that anyways.

edit: lol i fail at english

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2006-09-12 16:33 ]</font>

AwakenSardis
Sep 12, 2006, 06:41 PM
Sadness abounds. I love my PS2. I love PSU. Why does it look as though my two loves will not see eye to eye.

I guess this is what I get for being involved in electronic paligomy.

But seriously folks, can you tell me, without bias, that the PS2 version is literally unplayable?

ANIMEniac
Sep 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
i cant speak 4 the ps2 but i think it would be more anoying than straight unplayable

McLaughlin
Sep 12, 2006, 06:48 PM
It isn't unplayable, but it seriously hinders your ability to effectively aid your team.

BlueInfinity
Sep 12, 2006, 06:53 PM
Umm not thats it's any of my business but why is everyone so intent on bashing down Saner for ?

watashiwa
Sep 12, 2006, 06:59 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:14, Rubesahl wrote:
I find it right that you have to have 2.0+Ghz, 1gig ram and a 1st generation 256mb card like the Ati x800pro to run Oblivion nicely but when a PC with those same specs has slowdowns in 1280x1024 with PSU in max settings, I begin to question the engine's utilization of hardware

Okay, first off, Oblivion doesn't run "nicely" on that set up. It runs "OK". The MAJOR difference between Phantasy Star Universe and Oblivion is something called "automatic frame skipping". Oblivion will skip frames of animation to keep the game running at normal speed, although the smoothness of animation suffers, and PSU does not. If you set PSU to run at max settings, if your machine cannot handle 60fps CONSISTENTLY AT ANY POINT IN THE GAME NO MATTER HOW HEAVY THE ACTION IS OR ISN'T, it will seem to run like shit.

I know for a fact Oblivion is NOT running at 60fps consistently on that set up, because my setup is extremely better than yours and there are times where Oblivion skips frames like mad (for example, using an excessive amount of magic to explode hundreds of people at once.. or even walking through one of those really really REALLY detailed scenes.. you can still it's skipping frames because walking doesn't look nearly as smooth.. HOWEVER, the game speed is consistent..)

If Phantasy Star Universe added an auto frameskipping option, I can guarantee you that you'd see less reports from people saying their PC hardware is not good enough for PSU..

It's just that most people want to quickly set PSU to max settings when their setups cannot handle the constant 60fps, so then they blame the coding or the game.. but, like I said, you can't run Oblivion in 60fps consistently either.. Oblivion is known to shit on machines 5x-10x better than yours.. it is a true PC tester.

Ether
Sep 12, 2006, 07:02 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:59, watashiwa wrote:
so then they blame the coding or the game..

The coding of the game is shitty for not having an automatic frameskip option, especially when PSOBB and the PSU Beta had it

watashiwa
Sep 12, 2006, 07:05 PM
Well, it's just an oversight.. Oblivion would run like trash too if it didn't have automatic frameskipping.. was all I was trying to say..

Maybe they'll readd it in the future... or maybe they discovered problems with having an automatic frameskip option enabled while in network mode.. no idea.. That'd be dumb, though, 'cuz even FFXI had an automatic frameskip..

OH WELL! Maybe you guys can all write to them about it when it comes out here.. or someone can submit an inquiry about it in Japanese..

Raikku
Sep 12, 2006, 07:12 PM
I wonder, if I set up my account on my xbox, and then buy the PC version, if I'd be able to log in and play on my PC? o.O

Blueblur
Sep 12, 2006, 07:45 PM
For those concerned about degenerates on Xbox Live, they mostly play Halo 2 ( and FPS games in general) so you may not encounter them.

xenokai
Sep 12, 2006, 07:55 PM
On 2006-09-12 15:39, Miphesto wrote:
if this information is even true......
i can live with a lower population...even if 360 is half of the pc population, it'll be more than you ever need...

keeping in mind people...that yes, wow has like 7million subscriptions sold...BUT, you can only MERELY play with a few thousand on a server at once....

pso you play with also, THOUSANDS....it doesnt matter how big the population is, because i guarantee, psu on 360 will have at LEAST the population of the largest WOW server...and the only reason i use wow as an example is because it is the most popular MMO at the moment....

if 360's population is the only letdown in the game, i'm sure it will be unnoticeable...so i aint gonna trip...my big ass comfy chair, and my 52" HDTV is alot more comfortable than my computer chair, and it's 19" screen...and plus i will enjoy voice chat...

so as for PC being a 'dead ringer' gimme a break....

i hope all of you hopefulls have PCs with 2gb of ram and at least a 512 mb video card, and nothing less than a 3.5ghz processor...or else you'll be in the same boat as the ps2 users...

good graphics card for computer - 400$
xbox 360 premium - 400$

thank you and goodnight

i get what ur saying but i dont wanna play without my friends which all are on pc. I could maybe run psu on dial up on 360 since ffxi on 360 ran great on dial up on 360. (got my 360 hooked to pc so i can get xbox live) Its just the fact that i dont wanna split servers.

Dynheart
Sep 12, 2006, 08:26 PM
On 2006-09-12 16:14, Rubesahl wrote:
The 360 version will probably be superior in the sense that they know how to code better in consoles

Aren't consoles actually coded with computers? I mean, it would be hard to actually code a console with a console...if that's what you mean. If not, my appologies for misundestanding.

-D-

McLaughlin
Sep 12, 2006, 08:35 PM
He meant because a console's techknowledgy is universal to all of the consoles (All Gamecubes are created equal, for instance), it's easier to code a game for a console, while PC specs vary greatly.

Dynheart
Sep 12, 2006, 08:37 PM
On 2006-09-12 18:35, Zeta wrote:
He meant because a console's techknowledgy is universal to all of the consoles (All Gamecubes are created equal, for instance), it's easier to code a game for a console, while PC specs vary greatly.

Ahh I see. And it's the truth, too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

solidsolo
Sep 12, 2006, 09:15 PM
I just bought a xbox 360 lastnight and i swear is the best damn investment I ever made. Everything about it is perfect and I can't wait to see it run PSU. And I don't understand how most of you people hate voice chat when it's the greatest thing for consoles. Comeon.. no more typing.. people like Saner will be left behind trying to communicate by searching for letters on an on screen keyboard.... comeon....

VR-Raiden
Sep 12, 2006, 09:17 PM
Saner's not the only one, I'd take text chat over voice chat any day. It really isn't all the hassle some people make it out to be >_>

Miphesto
Sep 12, 2006, 09:20 PM
it's not a huge hassle...i type about 100wpm...so i have no trouble using a keyboard, but still...when theres no time to spare, and u need to get your message across...voice chat is the best...

a question for those text lovers....why? why do you dislike voice chat anyways?

Dynheart
Sep 12, 2006, 09:22 PM
On 2006-09-12 19:15, solidsolo wrote:
people like Saner will be left behind trying to communicate by searching for letters on an on screen keyboard....

Don't know about you, but I can type just fine without having to look at the keyboard.

I prefer keyboard to voicechat for personal reasons. And in no way shape or form does that hinder my gaming abilites.

By: Mephisto
"why do you dislike voice chat anyways?"

I played EQ, EQ2, WoW, CoH, FFXI on PS2, and PC (had both...both for me and my wife) and a host of much older MMOs as well. Why do I tell you this? Just to inform that I have played in various communities and 70% of them I used voicechat at one point or another.

Most of the time I either heard some immature individual trying to act like they are some clever voice actor/actress. Or just act rude just for the hell of it.

A few occasions I had to tolerate conversations about drugs, how high someone can get off a certain drug; and how drunk someone was/is. And I really don't want to listen to crap like that while I play a game anyway.

Does that happen all the time? Nope. But enough to make me sway towards text.

Also on a few occasions chat gets muffled due to static, lag, weather. Alot of factors can interfere with the connection.

These are the main reasons why. There are minor issues, but those are just that, minor.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dynheart on 2006-09-12 19:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dynheart on 2006-09-12 19:39 ]</font>

xenokai
Sep 12, 2006, 09:24 PM
On 2006-09-12 19:15, solidsolo wrote:
I just bought a xbox 360 lastnight and i swear is the best damn investment I ever made. Everything about it is perfect and I can't wait to see it run PSU. And I don't understand how most of you people hate voice chat when it's the greatest thing for consoles. Comeon.. no more typing.. people like Saner will be left behind trying to communicate by searching for letters on an on screen keyboard.... comeon....

whats ur gamertag?

VR-Raiden
Sep 12, 2006, 09:26 PM
Well I'm not gonna say it's because of dumb annoying kids or something, because there are obvious ways of dealing with that, I'm sure. I don't really know, could have something to do with the fact that I'm a little shy >_< I can see where voice chat would be better for mid-battle communication, typing is just personal preference of mine. Even if it doesn't make sense http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

solidsolo
Sep 12, 2006, 09:30 PM
gamertag is Solidsolo

looking for some more people to meet later on in PSU on the 360. 4 of my friends will be getting it so already got a small grp going.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: solidsolo on 2006-09-12 19:33 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: solidsolo on 2006-09-12 19:33 ]</font>

Deprimenthia
Sep 12, 2006, 09:35 PM
Voice chat annoys me. The occasional 12 year old telling everyone else what to do and cussing random shit REALLY gets old.

I just like keyboards better http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Kyuu
Sep 12, 2006, 09:59 PM
Parden my bluntness Miphisto, but you're full of it. You do not need anywhere near the hardware specs you were listing to run PSU well. Any 6xxx series or better (or ATI equivalent) videocard with 128MB of VRAM will more than suffice, 1GB of RAM, and any of the common current CPUs (any AMD Athlon 64 or Intel Pentium D or better) will run this game just fine. To make a proper build, you'll need maybe $400 or $500 at the most. To build the entire system. Most people just need to spend $100 to upgrade their videocard and maybe $50 for another stick of RAM.

No, that's not cheap enough for everyone to afford, and it's certainly not free, but in this day and age, that's some pretty modest upgrading to run a current release game at it's full capacity. You'll have to spend a helluva lot more to build a rig capable of running FEAR or even Oblivion to their fullest.

Hell, I built my rig nearly 3 years ago, and I can run PSU to it's fullest. In the computer world, a 3 year old rig is practically ancient.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-12 20:03 ]</font>

Miphesto
Sep 12, 2006, 10:29 PM
my computer was almost top of the line about 2 years ago...and can run current games decently, but still slows down in stressfull moments....it is unlikely that with ANY pc, you will experience psu flawlessly with no drop in framerates....

360 may have some drops in framerates in stressfull moments as well, but like that other guy said ...it's easier to code for systems because u know exactly what the game will be working with...whereas pc will have many variants...

very few people will experience PC PSU w/o any drop in framerates

Tystys
Sep 12, 2006, 10:32 PM
Well, that's pretty much a given. Sure low grade computer [arts will play a part in this, but most of the time, it will be because of the lag.

GaijinPUnch
Sep 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
1: Don't ever believe any major gaming publications unless you want to be lied to and/or disappointed. For the most part, they're run by mainstream, fair-weathered gamers at best. The liveliehood of the organization runs off of one thing: funds from ads. They will always be jaded to some extent, and usually the staff are more "jack of all trades" types. EGM and IGN are not examples of this, they are the definition of this. I'm not saying all their stuff is crap... just most of it. I understand that PSU is not really that nitche, but I would take any information I found here in higher regard than there.

2:

hope all of you hopefulls have PCs with 2gb of ram and at least a 512 mb video card, and nothing less than a 3.5ghz processor...or else you'll be in the same boat as the ps2 users...

I've got a 3.0 Ghz processor, and a somewhat old X700 Radeon something rather (yeah, I play tons of PC games, as you can tell). It runs pretty well at 1280x1024. Definitely not 60fps. I think I paid $200 for it well over a year ago. Anyway, the 360 will most certainly not be running in this mode. So, 1 point for the non-360 fanboyism.

3: There is a frame-skipping option. I've set mine to "1" which alleviates a lot of problems at higher resolutions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GaijinPUnch on 2006-09-12 20:46 ]</font>

Dynheart
Sep 12, 2006, 10:45 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:29, Miphesto wrote:
my computer was almost top of the line about 2 years ago...and can run current games decently, but still slows down in stressfull moments....it is unlikely that with ANY pc, you will experience psu flawlessly with no drop in framerates....

360 may have some drops in framerates in stressfull moments as well, but like that other guy said ...it's easier to code for systems because u know exactly what the game will be working with...whereas pc will have many variants...

very few people will experience PC PSU w/o any drop in framerates

I think a good test to give yourself is to run TES IV: Oblivion at MAX settings at 1024X768. If you can run a solid 30FPS, I'm positve that you can eat up PSU for lunch. As far as FPS drops. If you can run OB max, the FPS drops wont be hardware related. It most likely would be software (Lack of defragging ect).

For me, I can run OB maxed at 1280X1024. And I baby my PC so it runs at tip top shape all the time. I'm pretty confident that PSU will run at a solid 60FPS+

ShinMaruku
Sep 12, 2006, 11:34 PM
If anybody bought top of the line stuff for this game they cannot bitch bought my choice because trhey'd be spending far more than me indeed. XD

watashiwa
Sep 13, 2006, 12:36 AM
....it is unlikely that with ANY pc, you will experience psu flawlessly with no drop in framerates....

I guess mine is one of those unlikely PCs.. because I run at a solid 60fps no matter what's going on and that's at 1280x1024..

PC stats:

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
1GB of RAM
ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-12 22:37 ]</font>

Dynheart
Sep 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
On 2006-09-12 22:36, watashiwa wrote:

....it is unlikely that with ANY pc, you will experience psu flawlessly with no drop in framerates....

I guess mine is one of those unlikely PCs.. because I run at a solid 60fps no matter what's going on and that's at 1280x1024..

PC stats:

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
1GB of RAM
ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-12 22:37 ]</font>

We got simular set ups.

AMD 3700+ San diego core 939 OC'd from 2.2 to 2.5
1GB of ram 3200/400
eVGA Geforce 7800GTX PCI-Express 256'er OC'd to 490/1200

You got a better CPU, I got a better GPU. So I'm hoping that they cancel each other out, and I can run a flawless game as well.

BTW. Is that the highest reso PSU supports? Also, do you run at maxed settings? (everything to 100% all sliders up ect ect)

drownedBYfire
Sep 13, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hmmm, here are the PS2 specs:

CPU: 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
System Clock: 300 MHz
System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2

Graphics

Clock Frequency: 150MHz
DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second

Audio

Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)

l/O

CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
Sub Bus: 32 Bit
Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Communication: via PC-Card PCMCIA
Disc Media: DVD-ROM (CD-ROM compatible)

It's kinda like being reminded you have a Grandpa,
Old and fighting off deaths'clutches

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drownedBYfire on 2006-09-12 23:13 ]</font>

Sessilu
Sep 13, 2006, 01:10 AM
Lol, afraid a few slowdowns will hurt you people? I'm used to them in Psobb, like Parn said:

Yeah, I'm one of those "Low-End" people V_V;
Ya live with it.

Rune
Sep 13, 2006, 03:16 AM
It's not so much a question about hating voice chat as much as it is about hating the people that use it. The very simple fact is, while voice chat is indeed very useful, most of the time on xbox/360 you have asshats talking about incredibly dumb topics, people bitching at one another, and people bitching over dumb topics. This isn't to say you don't get that with text entry, or that decent people aren't on XBL.

Anyways, as an example of dumb/annoying ones, let's say you and another person go for some item and you end up getting it. Either one of two things can happen. First option: The person doesn't care and you all go about your business because no one gives it a second thought. Second option: the other person starts bitching about how they wanted that item, and hounds you for the rest of the mission. The second option is bound to happen on more than just one occasion.

Granted my whole post has been on anonymous people, and I'd be a hypocrite to say I don't use voice chat programs myself. With people you know, voice chat is infinitely better. Of course, I wonder with voice chat how a chat history log will go, if it even does.