PDA

View Full Version : 2 World in EU/US ?

Nika
Sep 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
because only 1 country(Japan) have to take 2 server,world1 and world2. I know that jp gamer population is larger than EU and US. However, consider all gamer in united state + all gamer in europe, it may larger than jp gamer population. If they just have only 1 world for US/EU ,then I think the same problem will occur again.

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 09:51 PM
If the servers become overloaded, it's almost assuredly going to happen. At the moment, though, I don't think it's going to come to that, but we shall see whether or not it's necessary.

White_Zephyr
Sep 12, 2006, 10:02 PM
I know absolutely nothing about how servers work and such. But I was thinking, why wouldn't it be possible to just increase the amount of universes instead of this split world system?

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 10:08 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:02, White_Zephyr wrote:
I know absolutely nothing about how servers work and such. But I was thinking, why wouldn't it be possible to just increase the amount of universes instead of this split world system?

A few reasons. Their databases can only handle so much player data at a time, which led to errors. Putting more game servers won't fix the problems with the central database management/My Room/login servers, which are fewer in number and simply can't be fixed by "adding more". They would, I imagine, have to write ANOTHER system to determine what data goes to what server.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-12 20:09 ]</font>

White_Zephyr
Sep 12, 2006, 10:14 PM
Well instead of adding more, why not try to have seperate servers for different purposes? Say there is 1 server for the 50 universes. Couldn't they just interconnect, (lets say) 4 servers to cover all the bases i.e. login, my room, etc.?

EDIT: Eww I just used a double negative.. deleted >< lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: White_Zephyr on 2006-09-12 20:15 ]</font>

PJ
Sep 12, 2006, 10:15 PM
The only plus side to the server seperation was the addition of characters, which is kinda what I'd like, if only so my brother could have online characters

A2K
Sep 12, 2006, 10:24 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:14, White_Zephyr wrote:
Well instead of adding more, why not try to have seperate servers for different purposes? Say there is 1 server for the 50 universes. Couldn't they not interconnect, (lets say) 4 servers to cover all the bases i.e. login, my room, etc.?

That's how the game is set up. Each universe is a single server, for one. Everyone's "My Room", I assume, is on its own server as well. They could add more servers for My Room and login, but they have no measures in place to actually handle the new servers. It'd be like setting another one next to it and telling it out loud to "work". It's just not happening.

As it stands right now the system just isn't designed to be "scalable"--as in, to gracefully handle upgrades like that. It would require an overhaul, and people want to play the game right now.

vitius137
Sep 12, 2006, 10:25 PM
I agree, more characters=more variety. I'm most likely gonna play PSU for a while and I'll probably want to make more than 4 chars......... eventually.

Tystys
Sep 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Something tells me just as a safety measure, they're probably going to do the whole World 1/World 2 thing for the US/EU release.

Blueblur
Sep 12, 2006, 10:29 PM
I have no problem with it as long as we have a choice between Worlds and are not randomly forced into one or the other. And honestly, 'Galaxy' would have been a better word choice. I'd prefer Galaxy > Universe 05 than World > Universe 05. Kind of backwards, isn't it?

Nika
Sep 12, 2006, 10:31 PM
Because their server size can contain only around 20,000-30,000 people per time per server. So, they have to add more server(which is world, 2 world can contain around 60,000 now). The reason why character can't transfer to another server is becaz the data of character is contain in the server. it mean if you create char in world1, then the world 1 will save ur data and everthing. nothing link with world2. (to make ur char able to go to world 2 ,they have to save ur all data in world2 too,which have to use harddisk in their server2 too,)
PS: Increase universe = Increase slot in server 1 only. the size of the server will be the same, so that is not a solution.

RoninJoku
Sep 12, 2006, 11:05 PM
On 2006-09-12 20:29, Blueblur wrote:
I have no problem with it as long as we have a choice between Worlds and are not randomly forced into one or the other. And honestly, 'Galaxy' would have been a better word choice. I'd prefer Galaxy > Universe 05 than World > Universe 05. Kind of backwards, isn't it?

Well, a galaxy is still smaller than a universe, but w/e http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I don't really like the seperate servers... I don't like being confined and separated from other potential players u_u

Sev
Sep 12, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-09-12 21:05, RoninJoku wrote:

On 2006-09-12 20:29, Blueblur wrote:

Well, a galaxy is still smaller than a universe, but w/e http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

I don't really like the seperate servers... I don't like being confined and separated from other potential players u_u

You wouldn't be confined. People may say that for the JP ship as well, but the truth is... You can make characters on World 1 and World 2. You can meet with "everyone" if that's your desire, but you need to use 2 different character sets that can't mingle with each other.

Most games work this way. And although people seem to not wanna be restricted, the reality is that you'll never play with everyone anyway. They give you enough of an option this time around, and if the servers are seperated for NA/EU, then that's fine. That's 8 character slots to 4, even if I don't play the others as much I can at least experiment.

Shadow_Wing
Sep 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
We'll have to wait and see, I don't think we'll see a repeat mistake personally. They have 2 months to prep the game, and I hope that's more than enough time to accomidate the entire EU/NA population.

and...

people want to play the game right now.
qfft