PDA

View Full Version : Hacking/Duping

RamenEater
Sep 14, 2006, 12:40 AM
I just heard from an online buddy that this is already happening is this true?

A2K
Sep 14, 2006, 12:42 AM
The exploit was/is being dealt with. It was inevitable something would happen; what matters is how, if it all, it is dealt with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-13 22:43 ]</font>

Kyuu
Sep 14, 2006, 12:43 AM
What exploit was that? I must've missed it. o_0

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-13 22:44 ]</font>

RamenEater
Sep 14, 2006, 12:45 AM
Oh man, i really hope they do something about it. I mean back then during PSO I played for free cause there were loop holes and i didnt care about cheating. Now we gotta pay money for it...

A2K
Sep 14, 2006, 12:47 AM
On 2006-09-13 22:43, Kyuu wrote:
What exploit was that? I must've missed it. o_0

It's what's been going on now, with the character overwrites and what have you. I think in the original statement Sonic Team mentioned that it could somehow be forcefully exploited for duping?

Cross
Sep 14, 2006, 12:59 AM
On 2006-09-13 22:47, A2K wrote:
It's what's been going on now, with the character overwrites and what have you. I think in the original statement Sonic Team mentioned that it could somehow be forcefully exploited for duping?

It hasn't been "going on now", it was a critical bug that was discovered and dealt with in the first two days of the online service. Since it went back into beta, it hasn't been seen again.
There also really wasn't enough time to really study the bug enough to 'forcefully' exploit it. The fact that it caused item duping was just icing on the cake. The real issue was that it overwrote your character.

At any rate, it's been gone for quite some time now. Aside from completely failing to initially consider how the servers would act under heavy load, most of the issues have been acceptably dealt with so far. It took them a few heavy blunders, but Sega is doing a pretty good job of handling the game now.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to address the original issue. There is no duping or hacking thus far, as the servers were wiped after the only issue that caused duping.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-09-13 23:03 ]</font>

Zarbolord
Sep 14, 2006, 01:05 AM
I'm happy about that, recieving duped or hacked items (or doing it yourself) isn't as much fun and cool as finding a really rare item.

RamenEater
Sep 14, 2006, 01:07 AM
I'm not gonna lie, i dupped my butt off during PSO DC years, and the game still lasted me 6 months. I quit becuase my friends quit, the game itself is just loads of fun. I can't wait! Hopefully the voice chat won't get too annoying. Lol i'm derailing my own thread =P

A2K
Sep 14, 2006, 01:33 AM
On 2006-09-13 22:59, Cross wrote:
It hasn't been "going on now", it was a critical bug that was discovered and dealt with in the first two days of the online service. Since it went back into beta, it hasn't been seen again.
There also really wasn't enough time to really study the bug enough to 'forcefully' exploit it. The fact that it caused item duping was just icing on the cake. The real issue was that it overwrote your character.

To clarify, I used the timeframe I did because I was unsure if the problem was fixed given that the initial cause for all of this was the server overflow, which remained unresolved. That is, until the maintenance that's happening right now to install this World 1/World 2 business completes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-13 23:34 ]</font>

Valkayree
Sep 15, 2006, 11:35 AM

It hasn't been "going on now"

Isoguy on these boards claims to have hacked the offline content.

Zarbolord
Sep 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hmmm, but has he managed to give proof?

hypersaxon
Sep 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
On 2006-09-15 09:35, Valkayree wrote:

It hasn't been "going on now"

Isoguy on these boards claims to have hacked the offline content.

Of course people are going to hack the offline game, that's a given. What matters is if people find ways to hack the online portion of the game, which is the main issue at hand here.

Pure-chan
Sep 15, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hacking offline content is pretty much automatic, imo. As long as it stays offline, I'm indifferent. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/pandaroll.gif

With the state of pso still fresh in most people's minds, I can see why the reaction was so harsh. Hacking carries a pretty heavy stigma in the legit community.

Still... It seems like Isoguy was just offering for PSOW's benefit. I don't know that the reaction was warrented. ..my 2 cents.

Laranas
Sep 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
On 2006-09-15 09:49, Zarbolord wrote:
Hmmm, but has he managed to give proof?
Not much proof is needed... using a memory scanner makes hacking any offline game simple, so I doubt he's bs'ing us.

qoxolg
Sep 15, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hacking the offline game is something totaly diffrent, cause you can edit all the savegames with some edittors...

Online is serverside and very secure. I've hear some of the hackers say PSU got SSL encreption for the online game, which will be even harder to hack than PSOBB.

Secondly, todays hackers are not as bad as back in the days with PSOv1,2 etc.., they keep their hacks and stuff for them self, and they won't release it until the game is completly dead.

Tystys
Sep 15, 2006, 03:18 PM
My god, the man uses the wrong word and now there's a whole debate about his situation, lmao.

I wouldn't call it hacking as much as I would cheating in single player games.