PDA

View Full Version : Playasia screwed me

Vanner
Sep 14, 2006, 11:45 AM
Guys i suggest not ordering with FEDEX to europe because they fucking screw you over with their bullshit VAT cost lol £40 extra bill? so my game cost me $80 wow great never importing again http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Kyuu
Sep 14, 2006, 11:47 AM
Only $80? When I went to PlayAsia, it quoted me $81 for the game and shipping using the EMS Speedpost.

mechatra
Sep 14, 2006, 11:51 AM
Lol you realise that any courier will charge you VAT on import aslong as the product is above a certain value.

The strange thing is though, I used Fedex for the first time ever on PSU, normally I use UPS.
Oddly enough Fedex didn't charge me import Tax, whereas UPS will normally charge me between 20 - 40 quid.

And it's nothing to do with Playasia at all. All packages carried by couriers will be taxed. I'm assuming this is your first import?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mechatra on 2006-09-14 09:53 ]</font>

drakkula
Sep 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
where are u guys from?? I live in the UK...do u guys think i will pay vat/tax/whatever apart from the game itself and the ship?

Kou-Diacyper
Sep 14, 2006, 01:14 PM
I just got an invoice today aswell, 14 pound.

mechatra
Sep 14, 2006, 01:15 PM
Depending on what shipment you use yes.
Im from the UK aswell.

If you use a courier shipment such as UPS or Fedex, you should pay Tax.

Strangely6 enough though Fedex didnt charge me this time, and being my first time using fedex im not sure whether it was just a mistake or whether fedex is an odd one and deals with customs themselves.

Blackswordca
Sep 14, 2006, 01:16 PM
UPS likes charging a $50 Brokerage fee (when bringing things into Canada) so i try not to use them.. DHL ive found is pretty good for international shipping.

Kou-Diacyper
Sep 14, 2006, 01:39 PM
On 2006-09-14 11:15, mechatra wrote:
Depending on what shipment you use yes.
Im from the UK aswell.

If you use a courier shipment such as UPS or Fedex, you should pay Tax.

Strangely6 enough though Fedex didnt charge me this time, and being my first time using fedex im not sure whether it was just a mistake or whether fedex is an odd one and deals with customs themselves.

Don't speak too soon, a nice invoice letter could be on its way still.

DurakkenX
Sep 14, 2006, 01:56 PM
stop complaining about $80... i spent $121 on it

ShardInABox
Sep 14, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm guessing your in the UK (since you said £40). When importing, choose the cheapest delivery method. 99% of the time it will go straight to you without customs. If it does go through customs, the post office handling fee is only a couple of quite. Parcel Force/EMS charge £13.50 for handling, and FedEx charge more.

Also with the customs risk, EMS etc arn't really much faster then normal delivery. Infact on average choosing the cheapest postage method from play-asia to the UK takes exactly 5 working days. EMS etc Have all taken 8 Days (they process on the weekends too - just don't deliver).

Just my advice. Take it as you wish.

watashiwa
Sep 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.ro-world.com/challenger11.jpg

You think Play-asia screwed YOU over? NO! They screwed ME over.. by getting me the game a day early... I couldn't even go online yet! PLUS, I paid the same $80 something as you.. It's MADNESS. (I used UPS for shipping, though.)

Husq
Sep 14, 2006, 03:14 PM
If you asked them, play-asia, nicely they do mark them as sample
or mark the value down.
But then in case it gets lost during the shipping,
you won't be able to claim the full value back.

Btw,
importing merchandise up to £18, it is vat free for the UK.
And importing from the US to the UK it is £30 (vat free).

MoonSblaise
Sep 14, 2006, 03:23 PM
"Playasia screwed me"..... since when was this a kiss and tell forum of dirty secrets... anyway, nice to know considering i ordered it yesterday, hah, shame for me >.< thankies though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Shimarisu-
Sep 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
LOL nobody who bought the game off me got a VAT bill.

Kazzi
Sep 14, 2006, 05:10 PM
You shouldnt be worrying about that. You should be worrying about the ridiculous custom charges your gonna have to pay because Play-Asia dont tick the gift box =/

mananas
Sep 14, 2006, 07:36 PM
40 pounds to us is like $80, the shipping alone. Do you mean 80 pounds total?

-Shimarisu-
Sep 14, 2006, 08:19 PM
Yep, he means that.

Import charges to the UK are ridiculous.

Basically, you have a game you paid, well let's call it 35 pounds for, as that is what most importers are charging for PSU.

Let's say you pay 10 pounds postage, for the faster shipping, right? We're now at 45 pounds. OK.

To the UK, you're allowed 18 pounds worth of non-gift imports, and 36 pounds of "gifts" before you start getting slapped with import fees. So marking it as a gift won't do jack here.

The tax is 17.5%, but they don't slap that on item value. If the item value was over 18 pounds, or 36 for a gift they slap it on the item's value PLUS THE POSTAGE YOU PAID.

So 17.5% of 45 pounds is 7.88.

Total for game is now 52.88.

EXCEPT, you might think that it all, but there are certain fines for importing! How DARE you import! Naughty boy, you should buy British! The small fine is usually only anout 3-8 pounds, and they calculate it arbitrarily, depends how much sex the C+E official got last night I guess.

Let's call it 5 pounds. Now we're talking 57.88.

EXCEPT, the postal company has to pay your fees! So they levy a charge too, to cover the abount of people who bail on seeing the shocking import duty. Their fees are anything from 5-15 pounds.

So it ain't surprising he got 40 pounds import duty. it seems a heck of a lot but it depends how much he paid on the express postage.

I think it is all utter bullcrap and disgusting, so I marked all the copies of PSU I got for friends in the UK as under $30 value. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It ain't Play Asia that's screwed him, it's the UK government. You should move out of that shitty system as soon as is humanly possible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-09-14 18:21 ]</font>

Kyuu
Sep 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
Jeebus. Note to self: don't live in the UK.

landman
Sep 15, 2006, 12:15 AM
That's why I always use air mail, even if that takes a whole month (to Spain). My PSU arrived two days ago, that has been the fastest delivery that I have never received xD

UniKoRn
Sep 15, 2006, 02:10 AM
I paid about $125 AU import tax, $100 US shipping and all up around $1000 AU when I imported modded Gamecube, JP PSO ep 2, keyboard and modem when JP Gamecube PSO came out ^_^;

Bought the stuff from japanvideogames.com and used FedEx (Australia)... I paid for express shipping and bloody fed ex held the package because of the import tax and didn't call me. I had to chase it up myself in order to get the damn thing back in motion. Talk about poor service!

I drew this crappy picture to capture the event http://www.ninja-usagi.com/images/diefedex.JPG

FOnewearl-Lina
Sep 15, 2006, 02:23 AM
Awww that was mean, the delivery man's just doing his job...
What if, like, the next package he was to deliver had been my copy? Then I'd have to go and kill you instead! WHAT AMAZING!