PDA

View Full Version : Question about Newmen and the Hunter job

zofia
Sep 14, 2006, 02:46 PM
Is it possible for a newman to be a good hunter, or are their stats so skewed towards FO-like stuff (high MST for tech use) that they simply do not have enough ATP and DEF to be a good hunter?

watashiwa
Sep 14, 2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.ro-world.com/challenger13.jpg

Well, they'll probably be pretty accurate, but their damage will always be underneath that of the other hunters. (Some people might argue that the number of times they constantly hit multiplied by the damage done is on par with a beast who'd hit less but hit for more, but that's incorrect, since if you're in a party, you can circle around mobs to hit from behind for 100% accuracy.)

zofia
Sep 14, 2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, watashiwa. That's helpful.

AngelLight
Sep 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
This is assuming you're Kiting and not tanking a mob of course. If you're tanking it then yes it would be on par with Beasts (more accuracy vs more damage). However, in the case of tanking, you'd prolly want higher HP or better DEF anyways (with some good PP for CCing a target) and newmans have neither in comparison.

MoonSblaise
Sep 14, 2006, 03:34 PM
Ok Ok, i know this is a stupid question, but would a CAST make a stupendously crap Force or would the community accept it ya reckon? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AngelLight
Sep 14, 2006, 03:38 PM
would the cast be a weaker force vs. say any other race? Yes, on average.
would the community accept a Cast Force? Yes, with some minor exceptions.

PS has a good deal of flexibility with combos. Alot of that has to do with the fact that the primary tactic most ppl do is Kiting and anyone can potentially do that....its just a matter of a normal kite for the ranged classes or what I like to call "circle kiting" for melees. Besides, any good group IMO should be one that can think outside the box instead of cookie cutter canned plans.

If you want to be a force cast go for it, I'm pretty sure you wont have any trouble with groups.

chibiLegolas
Sep 14, 2006, 03:39 PM
On 2006-09-14 12:49, watashiwa wrote:
(Some people might argue that the number of times they constantly hit multiplied by the damage done is on par with a beast who'd hit less but hit for more,....)

So it's already been confirmed? For character levels 1-50, ppl can visually see the differences of a high/low ata and high/low evade this time around?
If so, that's wonderful news!

BTW, I assume that if an enemy catches us off guard from behind, it's also 100% accuracy to hit us as well, no matter how high our evade are?

Zorafim
Sep 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
As a random note, I find it odd that newmans are the best forces, and are now being steriotyped as forces, when numans and numan like characters were always closer to hunters (Myao, Rika, etc).

TheStoicOne
Sep 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
Newmans are obviously HOTTER as hunters. Magic is alright, but its no dagger.

Kyuu
Sep 14, 2006, 03:53 PM
On 2006-09-14 13:49, TheStoicOne wrote:
Newmans are obviously HOTTER as hunters. Magic is alright, but its no dagger.

/agree

A2K
Sep 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
On 2006-09-14 13:44, Zorafim wrote:
As a random note, I find it odd that newmans are the best forces, and are now being steriotyped as forces, when numans and numan like characters were always closer to hunters (Myao, Rika, etc).

Newmans are the new Espers. And Beasts are the new Newmans. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

AngelLight
Sep 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
LOL

There you go, someone who subscribes to the old addage: There's no better armor then skintight spandex and a mid-driff http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

Natrokos
Sep 14, 2006, 03:57 PM
On 2006-09-14 13:44, Zorafim wrote:

Numans are more like battlemages imo. Once we have access to Expert mode things will change.

Kimil
Sep 14, 2006, 04:46 PM
Yah, Warmage FTW! ^.^

zofia
Sep 15, 2006, 09:26 AM
On 2006-09-14 13:54, AngelLight wrote:
LOL

There you go, someone who subscribes to the old addage: There's no better armor then skintight spandex and a mid-driff http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_clown.gif

Hehe, the way the old Perfect PSO Guide described HUnewearls was, and I think this is pretty close to 100% accurate: "Proving once again that nothing stops a bullet like a tight-fighting halter-top, these hotties have the highest EVA in the game..."

=p

Zarbolord
Sep 15, 2006, 09:30 AM
That means they are flexible and they evade hits.
Anyway, you could always do a HU/FO expert ytpe http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

zofia
Sep 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
^True!

I will prolly (like most people) eventually use all four character slots that we get on our account. But my main will be my 'newearl. Sounds like, situationally, 'newearls/newmen can be pretty interesting HU's, but that their strength is as FO. That's cool with me ~ after HUnewearl my favorite PSO class was FOnewearl, so it's all good. =)

Zarbolord
Sep 15, 2006, 09:42 AM
I'm gonna get a FO/RAcast, so you're not the only one who will get difficulties in training your class http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

zofia
Sep 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
On 2006-09-15 07:42, Zarbolord wrote:
I'm gonna get a FO/RAcast, so you're not the only one who will get difficulties in training your class http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Sometimes its fun, if you really like something, to perserve and see it through. I remember in PSOBB how frustrating it could get, playing as a HUnewearl. The RA's and FO's have such superior range, for a long time, that in some rooms I wouldn't get any exp at all. I'd run up to attack monsters with my Vjaya or my Dragonslayer and they'd already be dead. Needless to say, until my tech's hit level 18 - 20 they had way too small a range to compete with the FO's or the range of the RA weapons. So, for a while, in a fast-paced teams, I actually started using Diskas! Something I'd never do offline, but online it worked out pretty good.

Anyway, I'm sure once we start playing a lot of things we think we'll do will actually change, plus tons of new ideas will pop into our heads. But, yeah, I'm not turned off by the idea of something being hard. I like a challenge, so long as there's light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not the light of an oncoming train).

=p

Valkayree
Sep 15, 2006, 10:32 AM
On 2006-09-15 07:34, zofia wrote:
^True!

I will prolly (like most people) eventually use all four character slots that we get on our account. But my main will be my 'newearl. Sounds like, situationally, 'newearls/newmen can be pretty interesting HU's, but that their strength is as FO. That's cool with me ~ after HUnewearl my favorite PSO class was FOnewearl, so it's all good. =)

Evidently we get four per world, since they divided it up into two worlds. I wonder if multiple worlds will exist for the US version...

Valkayree
Sep 15, 2006, 10:33 AM
On 2006-09-15 07:34, zofia wrote:
^True!

Evidently we get four per world, since they divided it up into two worlds. I wonder if multiple worlds will exist for the US version...

JunkBuddha
Sep 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-09-14 13:32, AngelLight wrote:
This is assuming you're Kiting and not tanking a mob of course. If you're tanking it then yes it would be on par with Beasts (more accuracy vs more damage). However, in the case of tanking, you'd prolly want higher HP or better DEF anyways (with some good PP for CCing a target) and newmans have neither in comparison.

I don't like having terms like tank and kiting attached to this game. Not to nitpick or anything but, Tanking has no place in a real time combat system. If you yourself can dodge a hit by moving and not relying on some rolling system, then you better move. Tanks don't exist in PSO. The same goes for kiting as well as tanking, there isn't a way to hold aggro, mobs will pretty well go after whoever they want. You can kite solo I suppose, but you can't really call that kiting either since, they don't have anyone else to attack. So, the Beast vs. Newman hunter, Accuracy vs. Attack Power has nothing to do with "tanking or kiting" it's a mere matter of, beasts hit harder, newmans have better accuracy which may make them hit more from the front. At the same time however, Newmans have lower HP, and no one really wants to attack from the front anyways.

All this aside.
In PSU, we are lucky enough to not be forced into a "what race is best for this class" situation. Races/Class combinations should be based almost wholey on your play style, and the type of style you want your character to perpetuate. Don't limit yourself to stats.

AngelLight
Sep 15, 2006, 03:15 PM
um, actually, I used to kite all the time in all the group pso games where we ran with 0 hunters. Basically, you'd catch them in a crossfire while one would be "bait". Besides that, as previously stated in other threads in this game, the AI is alot more ramped up then PSO, its not just going to be who's closest anymore. They will go after different targets given a reason. Perhaps someone behind the guy in front actually hits that target for example.

I'm not sure where this stance of yours comes from, there is nothing here that says you can't be a Cast Force and stilll be effective, or a Newman hunter. I hope you didn't mean to think I was suggesting pigeonholing race/class roles cause I was not. I'm going to assume that you've played other MMOs and was forced into a "assumed role" be it demanded need (a la FFXI) or canned tactics (a la WoW). I happen to be very pro Hybrid personally. Will certain combos work better? sure....will other "off spec" combos not work? absolutely not. That's PS's greatest strength. However, you're going to have to come up with more tactics then "stand there and hold the fire button down" now due to the increased difficulty. Embrace the new AI, have fun with it, outsmart it......these are things you dont have to fear out of thinking that its going to make your play time harder or make it harder to find accepting people....and you know, even if you did find ppl who didn't like what you are playing.....just tell them to take a flying leap and find someone else.

Laranas
Sep 15, 2006, 04:09 PM
I think that the 'kiting' he mentioned from PSO will be a much larger part of PSU's gameplay. As I've seen from Story mode, you don't need 6 people to haul ass across an area, and when you combine that with the fact that you hit more consistantly from behind, I think one or two people in the group will have a role of baiting the monsters around so that everyone else has a clear view of their rear.