PDA

View Full Version : Happy?

Aphael
Sep 14, 2006, 07:08 PM
Okay, so I'll say right now I've only been skimming posts recently. I'm trying to avoid as many spoilers as I can, so when I finally get the game here in the US it'll still have all of its new game smell.

But what I have seen kind of makes me wonder. I've read about server problems, Content restrictions, Ranger being broken, among other things. Lots and lots of complaining.

But my question is, what about the game to you importers really like at this point? Forgive me if it's already been said 30 times or so, like I said I've been trying to dodge spoilers and the like.

mech259_
Sep 14, 2006, 07:20 PM
We like PSU. Yes, we're angry that the servers are bad right now, and some of us are angry that you can't make a ranger that only uses guns, but PSU is still a great game and I like almost everything about it, even though it's had a rough start. It's just that everybody talks about the negatives here, but not the positives too much.

Haze2in1
Sep 14, 2006, 07:27 PM
Its a great game. I love everything about it..............................well, except for the servers!
No, but seriously most games, especially online games usually have problems, and as time goes by these bugs will be ironed out, and PSU is no exception.
Lets put it this way, if you loved PSO, even a little, You'll greatly enjoy PSU.
Trust me you wont regret it! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aphael
Sep 14, 2006, 08:33 PM
I'm glad to hear it. I have a small crew gathered from PSO, XI, and even WoW who are all waiting to play this together, and it would really be sad if it was a dissappointment.

But thankfully it seems it does live up to expectations in the end afterall, and just has the normal startup problems most online games have. I'm a little worried about the lack of major patches to fix those, but I imagine it'll work out.

Cross
Sep 14, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm having as much fun with PSU as I had with PSO way back in like February/March 2001, which is to say that it's one of the best online games I've ever played.

The servers were handled extremely poorly pre-launch, and the first week was an exercise in frustration. Even now, I'm not amazingly happy with the World 1/World 2 split, and that's a result of poor planning on Sega's part to prepare server software that scales well. Given that the alternative is rewriting the login server code probably nearly from scratch, though, it's probably the best they can do to make up for their earlier mistakes.
The only other problem is the restriction on content; the small number of areas, available items/skills, and to a lesser extent the level caps make the game feel like playing a big demo instead of a retail, fully-released game, and if they start meting out the same things that are already clearly available in offline mode as "new content", they deserve to be called tremendous assholes, but I'm willing to wait and see what the update schedule is like once the official service starts before I make up my mind entirely.

Despite those issues, I'm still generally happy with the game so far. If it takes six months (and $90 in fees) before I've got as many areas and as much content online as I do offline in Story Mode, then I'm going to quit the game and recommend that nobody buy it, but as of launch-day/beta, it's not so bad, and the core game engine is fun enough that I can overlook the fact that there's only a tiny amount of content.

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
I don't have a network adapter so right now, I'm only playing the story mode which I can only follow SOME of what they're saying, but I can follow it somewhat. anyway, its pretty cool. now, if only i can find a way to get that network adapter and play online.