PDA

View Full Version : Help with that dern Gameguard

Omni_Zommie
Sep 14, 2006, 08:20 PM
I just got PSU for my computer today and I can't seem to play story mode without an available internet connection. It works fine when I do but not when the internet isn't present. Gameguard always pops up when I choose Story Mode (before I'm even in the game) and then gives me an error saying that the server cannot be found and then it closes PSU. This is incredibly frustrating since my dad doesn't have a decent internet connection and I'm with him 25% of my time. If anyone can help PLEASE respond.

Clyde
Sep 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
there may not be way around it. PSU, I am pretty sure requires a connection to be made at all times suppsosedly to constantly check that none of your files are hacked or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Clyde on 2006-09-14 18:24 ]</font>

Omni_Zommie
Sep 14, 2006, 08:26 PM
that's just about the lamest thing I've heard all month. I'm assuming that Free Play is the same way. Anyways you don't need a connection the whole time, just to start the game. I turned mine of once it started and it just gave me an error message when I quit saying it wasn't connected but let me play.

Dhylec
Sep 14, 2006, 09:48 PM
that's just about the lamest thing I've heard all month.
Not quite. This info is known for quite a while now. Those who have been playing aren't complaining about that as much as not being able to log in online. ;]

hypersaxon
Sep 14, 2006, 10:01 PM
I've known about this for like a LONG time lol

Omni_Zommie
Sep 14, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yea I never heard this before. It's just dumb because even though you play offline this game doesn't really have an actual offline mode.

SeraphZero
Sep 15, 2006, 06:30 AM
I think just about everyone knew about this sometime ago, even i made a thread about it before the JP release. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Anyways though i hate to be the one to say it, and this may draw me dubious looks, but a japanese programmer devised a loader that allows you to play the offline story and extra mode without loading up gameguard or having to be online quite some time ago.

But i doubt i can or will say much more on the matter... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

*Disappears in a puff of smoke*

farplaner
Sep 15, 2006, 06:45 AM
I have something else that annoys me about Gameguard. I'm running Windows Media Center Edition, and whenever I go on the Media Extender on my Xbox 360, Gameguard complains (it thinks the xbox 360 is trying to hack the game?!) and quits the game either I'm playing online or the story mode.

So my family now is not allowed to watch any videos while I'm playing the game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

A2K
Sep 15, 2006, 06:47 AM
Functionality versus security... never gets old.

SeraphZero
Sep 15, 2006, 06:49 AM
Indeed.... Indeed...

Valkayree
Sep 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
On 2006-09-14 18:23, Clyde wrote:
there may not be way around it. PSU, I am pretty sure requires a connection to be made at all times suppsosedly to constantly check that none of your files are hacked or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Clyde on 2006-09-14 18:24 ]</font>

No because people have claimed already that the offline mode has been hacked. If that's the case, then they would be gone.

darthplagis
Sep 15, 2006, 10:24 AM
so does any1 know if the XB360 connection will be constant? just my connection is lame and i go through my PC to get on XBL, so my PC will be on constantly hehe,

Clyde
Sep 15, 2006, 11:18 AM
So it seems SEGA has screwed up again. The future of this game is not looking so good to me (I would have thought that it would take a little longer to hack) now that this Gameguard seems useless; can only hope its not so easy to hack the online version.

A2K
Sep 15, 2006, 11:19 AM
Well, aside from the fact that Xbox 360's would rather be online than not what with gamertags and gamerscores and what have you, I don't think it will be required for PSU on 360, no.

Clyde
Sep 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
The always connected requirement was just for PC.

xenokai
Sep 15, 2006, 12:01 PM
omni what is ur MSN or AIM name? i can prob can help ya out.

Emjei
Sep 15, 2006, 12:39 PM
Actually you can play offline without worrying about Gameguard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Emjei on 2006-09-15 10:44 ]</font>

kassy
Sep 15, 2006, 12:53 PM
The reason it requires an online connection for offline story mode is for piracy protection.

360 and PS2 don't need an online connection because they're not PCs.

Clyde
Sep 15, 2006, 01:02 PM
Piracy protection?

Fleece
Sep 15, 2006, 10:03 PM
if your still having problems and your game isnt updated i can send you a .exe that will help you load the game without being online.

darthplagis
Sep 16, 2006, 04:02 AM
oh ok, so its to stop game hacking and to stop hacking into the pc too? am i right on that one, thats a releif come to think of it tho i'll prob beonlinea lot when it comes out any way (damn oct 26)

drakkula
Sep 16, 2006, 05:04 AM
even if the offline was hacked i dont think its a big deal because you just have to cheat/use hack stuff offline if u want.....the only problem is if the online is hacked then u gotta play with other people who cheats and uses hacked stuff.....this is a pain in the...............=/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: drakkula on 2006-09-16 03:04 ]</font>

watashiwa
Sep 16, 2006, 05:53 AM
Sega's already stated that they required an internet connection to play offline with the PC version of this game awhile ago. It was even posted on the front page of this site. (You should have probably done your research before buying it..)

Anyway, the guy already found out that he could just have his internet up at the initial starting of the game. People who are posting about or helping getting around Gameguard or the game's protection for the offline mode are sort of breaking the forum rules because they're offering ways to circumvent the protection built into the game. (It'd be no different if I were to post my Gamecube proxy and tell people to use it to get around Sega's license server to play for free on Gamecube.. Yeah, the example is extreme, but I'm just sayin'! If the EXE the guy offers disabled the ability to need to be online, then anyone with a pirated copy of the game could probably use it for story or free play mode.)

IMHO, this topic should be locked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-16 03:53 ]</font>

Tystys
Sep 16, 2006, 06:59 AM
On 2006-09-16 03:53, watashiwa wrote:
Sega's already stated that they required an internet connection to play offline with the PC version of this game awhile ago. It was even posted on the front page of this site. (You should have probably done your research before buying it..)

Anyway, the guy already found out that he could just have his internet up at the initial starting of the game. People who are posting about or helping getting around Gameguard or the game's protection for the offline mode are sort of breaking the forum rules because they're offering ways to circumvent the protection built into the game. (It'd be no different if I were to post my Gamecube proxy and tell people to use it to get around Sega's license server to play for free on Gamecube.. Yeah, the example is extreme, but I'm just sayin'! If the EXE the guy offers disabled the ability to need to be online, then anyone with a pirated copy of the game could probably use it for story or free play mode.)

IMHO, this topic should be locked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-16 03:53 ]</font>

Here, here, my friend. I agree, the topic poster really should have done his research before buying the game, XD