PDA

View Full Version : Help identify the audio files in case NA version doesn't hav

the_importer_
Sep 16, 2006, 11:31 PM
Been doing some tests with PSU PC JPN to identify the audio and video files. This is what I have so far, but since my character is only Lv13, I'm limited in the areas I can go:

http://psobb.funurl.com/psu_audio.htm

Here's how it works:

1- Each time you encounter a different music, it's from a different file in the DATA folder.

2- The sound effects and voices, even the ones in common are repeated in each files. In short, remove one of the files not only removes the music, but all sound effects and voices.

3- The best way to find out which file is for which area is by deleting a bunch of files while the game is running (Window Mode). If a file refuses to delete itself, then you know it's that file. Restore all the files (Ctrl + Z) and move to a new area.

4- Removing an audio file does not prevent you from playing, you just don't hear anything. You will not any crash, get violation notice and there will be no attempts to download the missing files.

5- The movie files that are missing will simply be skipped. Also, subtitles are not part of the movies themself, they're added by the game.

So far, this looks promising. If SOA doesn't include the Japanese voices and videos in option for us Anime fans, then swapping the NA audio files for the JPN ones just might do the trick.

If you are able to do an area that I can't, please give it a go and post your results here. Every little contribution helps.

Thank you

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-16 21:31 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-16 21:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-16 21:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-17 08:35 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 16, 2006, 11:34 PM
It'd be infinitely easier if you just used an .adx decoder, since that's the format in use for all the cutscenes and the like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2006-09-16 21:35 ]</font>

the_importer_
Sep 16, 2006, 11:38 PM
On 2006-09-16 21:34, Parn wrote:
It'd be infinitely easier if you just used an .adx decoder, since that's the format in use for all the cutscenes and the like.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2006-09-16 21:35 ]</font>

Unfortunately, the cut scenes don't cover battle cries, shop attendants, victory chat, etc...

Also, the cut scenes are in the 2 files I mentioned, so that pretty much all cover. Audio files is what's left.

A2K
Sep 16, 2006, 11:50 PM
Shouldn't we actually wait for the US release to see whether or not all this is necessary? Secondly, there's no guarantee just replacing the files in the English version of the game would work--heck, if the game was recompiled all the numbers and letters could be random and scrambled in a completely different way than in the Japanese builds. Are you even certain the files in question contain ONLY audio (or video, for the offline ones)?

I'm all for options as much as the next guy but I don't see enough of a guarantee of this actually working.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-16 22:12 ]</font>

Alisha
Sep 16, 2006, 11:53 PM
if you dont understand japaneese please kill yourself.

DizzyDi
Sep 16, 2006, 11:54 PM
Woo, I guess a lot of us are gunna be dead then.

Alisha
Sep 16, 2006, 11:59 PM
i was refering to the OP. im so sick of people that dont even understand spoken japaneese getting all emo over us voice acting.

Eclypse
Sep 17, 2006, 12:03 AM
Lol, Alisha.

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 17, 2006, 12:06 AM
Only in ONE game have I ever heard US-version battlecries that sounded better than Japanese-version battlecries, and that was Tales of Symphonia which was localized very well.

Outside of battle...well that's different. Still, if it's possible to make their own little "Japanese with English subtitles" version, that would be great! Especially if the US voices turn out crappy.

Kyuu
Sep 17, 2006, 03:16 AM
I admit it... my Japanese is very limited, but I still prefer Japanese voice-acting in Japanese games and anime 90% or so of the time over the English dubbing? Why? I dunno. Maybe I prefer the sound and flow of spoken Japanese. Maybe the Japanese voice actors generally do a better a job than the people Funimation hires to butcher good anime series. Maybe I have a secret hatred for anyone who speaks English, and want them all to go die in a fire, so I can dance around their flaming bodies as I mutter ancient Japanese Shinto incantations.

Do I really have to justify my preference?

Good work on that, OP. I hope it pans out, as I'd love to get the original Japanese voice-acting if they don't include it as a option in the NA release, as I'm not terribly fond of most of the dubbing I've heard (except for Brian Sommers, he did a great job on Magashi).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-17 01:22 ]</font>

Rune
Sep 17, 2006, 04:17 AM
Honestly, I could care less about wether or not there's a language option, but I just checked out the english dubbed trailer and holy shit! I've heard some bad dubbing, but this is just awful. Every voice lacks any kind of emotion or talent, Magashi aside. It's like they drug people in off the street, put them in front of a microphone and told them to say what was on the paper. And on the case of Magashi, I do believe that's the one dub that's good, but he comes off sounding a bit like a robotized Vortigaunt from Half-Life 2. Still good.

Perhaps the trailer I saw was old or quickly thrown together, considering the volume levels and cleanliness of the dub were not very good. Even still, I wouldn't mind the dub if those voice actors would put more heart into the characters they're playing. I take voice acting very seriously.

A2K
Sep 17, 2006, 04:25 AM
More often than not it seems to be more a problem with the voice director/writers than actors themselves. Odd translations, not really bothering to get something "just right", the like. I'd mention the fact that many actors are recorded separately and therefore can't really work off of one another but... I think that happens so often most are accustomed to it. That said, I more often than not find it acceptable.

Are you talking about the E3 2006 trailer on this site? I found most of them to be rather decent, save a few rather glaring exceptions. In all honesty, though, with the big names in the Japanese voices it was going to be difficult to top in the first place.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-17 02:28 ]</font>

Rune
Sep 17, 2006, 05:15 AM
It's true. More than not Voice Actors tend to record solo to everytone else, even in big movies like those of Pixar. I'm not trying to say the translation is bad, as that can't really be known from just watching a short trailer. Also, I don't see how the translation could get botched too much in a game like this; not really a concern of mine.

On part with the Japanese voice actors being bigger names, it's true. I can relate most of the PSU voices I've heard to Japanese animations. What's also true is that with myself having played through a good portion of the PSU's single player so far, I've grown accustom to how the Japanese VAs are putting forth a persona on the characters. It would be unreasonable of me to expect the exact same thing from the english VAs. What I do expect, like I said in my previous post, is a bit more emotion with their acting. It is called voice acting for a reason. I'm not saying the PSU needs big names to have good acting, it just needs to have good actors. Period. Something which I personally find lacking in the english PSU, at least from the trailer I saw. Oh, and on the trailer question, it's possible it was the E3 2006 one, as it didn't have a release date tagged onto the end of the trailer.

Lastly, as a plug for my friend and favorite voice actor, check out Metal Gear Awesome (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/297383) if you havn't already.

Ether
Sep 17, 2006, 05:23 AM
The only thing I'm going to miss in the English dub of PSU is Edward Elric

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/guides/characters/offline_characters/tonnio.jpg

Nika
Sep 17, 2006, 05:26 AM
Me too, I prefer Japanese voice-acting in Japanese games.

therealAERO
Sep 17, 2006, 05:53 AM
I can't tell emotion when its in japanese...probably just me, but I guess when its in japanese I tend to not really hear it as much as I read it (if there are english sub titles) I'm a visual person, more than audio

A2K
Sep 17, 2006, 06:39 AM
On 2006-09-17 03:15, Rune wrote:
On part with the Japanese voice actors being bigger names, it's true. I can relate most of the PSU voices I've heard to Japanese animations. What's also true is that with myself having played through a good portion of the PSU's single player so far, I've grown accustom to how the Japanese VAs are putting forth a persona on the characters. It would be unreasonable of me to expect the exact same thing from the english VAs. What I do expect, like I said in my previous post, is a bit more emotion with their acting. It is called voice acting for a reason. I'm not saying the PSU needs big names to have good acting, it just needs to have good actors. Period. Something which I personally find lacking in the english PSU, at least from the trailer I saw.

Oh, and I agree, the roles should be acted well. The point I was making was that it isn't always the actual actor's fault--if the translated script was rushed, or if the director doesn't guide them well enough through the scene (misleading them, making the actor emote wrong but just rolling with it, etc.) or if they're miscast completely--or any combination of things like that can lead to a bad job. I'm not saying that it's never a terrible actor, but I like to think that all these people do this sort of thing professionally and definitely at least try to do their best with what's given to them.

On 2006-09-17 03:23, Ether wrote:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/guides/characters/offline_characters/tonnio.jpg

Huh, he was Edward Elric too? I recognized him as Hitsugaya Toshiro myself.

Come to think of it, all three of those characters are short both in height and temper. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

The guy they got to do his English voice sounds rather familiar to me, too. Couldn't tell you exactly where I heard him, though...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-17 04:40 ]</font>

Jexune
Sep 17, 2006, 07:00 AM
I really want to play with Japanese audio too, but with english subtitles. I'm familiar with a lot of the Japanese voice actors in this game, and I love most of their work (especially Rie Tanaka) which is why I'd prefer the audio option.

By the way, where's this trailer with the english voices? I haven't been able to find it. I'm disappointed to hear the dub is rubbish. I know SEGA's dubs generally do suck, but they put a bit of extra effort into their recent Yakuza title to make the dub somewhat good, I hoped they'd do the same with PSU.

Rune
Sep 17, 2006, 07:37 AM
Seems I watched the character introduction trailer rather than the E3 trailer. I found it on ragol.co.uk. Here's a link to the page: The Link to the Page (http://ragol.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10375)

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 08:08 AM
On 2006-09-16 21:50, A2K wrote:
Shouldn't we actually wait for the US release to see whether or not all this is necessary? Secondly, there's no guarantee just replacing the files in the English version of the game would work--heck, if the game was recompiled all the numbers and letters could be random and scrambled in a completely different way than in the Japanese builds. Are you even certain the files in question contain ONLY audio (or video, for the offline ones)?

I'm all for options as much as the next guy but I don't see enough of a guarantee of this actually working.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-16 22:12 ]</font>

Very good reply there. To answer your questions:

Q- Shouldn't we actually wait for the US release to see whether or not all this is necessary?

A- I want to get a head start. If we don't have the Japanese audio in there, at lease I won't waste a week of gameplay doing what I'm doing right now.

Q- Secondly, there's no guarantee just replacing the files in the English version of the game would work?

A- As of now, deleting the files doesn't prevent you from playing the game, it just cuts of all audio for that section. For example, if you cut off the audio from the Colony, the music and Sound effects for that area will be gone, but if you go back to your room, the audio will be there. One could simply assume that the game will take anything (audio related) as long as it has the same name.

Q- If the game was recompiled all the numbers and letters could be random and scrambled in a completely different way than in the Japanese builds.

A- That would be problem numero uno. Renaming would probably work, but it would require to redo the entire testing on the NA version. However, that being said, if there's two things you can depend on most companies today, is that they'll be lazy and incompetent. SOA and SOE are as lazy as they come, always cutting corners just to rush their products. If they wanted to scramble the letters and number, they would also need to reprogram the game in order to tell it where to find the new audio files, that would require time and effort. Knowing SOA and SOE, that will probably not happen.

Q- Are you even certain the files in question contain ONLY audio (or video, for the offline ones)?

A- Answer 2 pretty much covers that one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-17 06:09 ]</font>

Emrald
Sep 17, 2006, 09:54 AM
Just wondering why this is important....I love Japanese voice acting but I mean...I also wnaa know what their saying...This topic fails in my mind

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 10:34 AM
On 2006-09-17 07:54, coolcat33333 wrote:
Just wondering why this is important....I love Japanese voice acting but I mean...I also wnaa know what their saying...This topic fails in my mind

Well that's your opinion, but in reality, the topic isn't failing.

Anyway, I updated by putting the list on an HTML file.

Sinue_v2
Sep 17, 2006, 11:01 AM
I agree with Alisha.

Kyuu
Sep 17, 2006, 11:15 AM
On 2006-09-17 07:54, coolcat33333 wrote:

I believe that the purpose is to have the Japanese voice-acting while having English subtitles and text. We'll know what they're saying through the subtitles, just as if it was a subbed anime.

Emrald
Sep 17, 2006, 11:19 AM
*sigh* Why are you doing this...For one thing we have the english voice acter of revolnt (SP) on the forms here...so your kind of dissing him as he worked very hard to give us an english voice...

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 11:26 AM
On 2006-09-16 21:59, Alisha wrote:
i was refering to the OP. im so sick of people that dont even understand spoken japaneese getting all emo over us voice acting.

It's not about understanding (although Battle Cries are pretty much easy to understand), it's about the emotions and the work put into the voice acting. I don't truly understand get the Japanese language, but thanks to my Anime viewing experience, I still know what's going on in the story. Emotions are part of a Universal language, add that to the fact that Japanese Anime is very gestural, anyone that knows Anime will understand the story.

Since you're from Ohio, I'll take it that English is your first and only language, which unfortunately makes your disliking of this predictable and not very relevant. Since I live in Quebec, I've seen my fair share of US movies dubbed into French and US songs rewritten with French lyrics, I'm allowed to criticize bad dubbing. Native English speakers in Quebec are usually the first to put down anything dubbed from English to another language but when the time comes to something in an other language dubbed into English, well everything's A OK. English is not this planet's official language and it's not the most spoken language either (the would be Mandarin).

Now I'm pretty sure your 1st defense in mind for this reply will be that you actually speak 5 languages or something, so please, try to come up with something a bit more creative.

Emrald
Sep 17, 2006, 11:29 AM
Being from Michigan I can agree on the Ohio part

But it's not that: We also like to hear things in our own lauange...people who speak native lauanges in voice overs work hard to bring people spoken words for that character or situation...Why are you being so mean to them?

Phaze37
Sep 17, 2006, 11:31 AM
Alisha, that is the stupidest thing I've heard all day. Just because a person doesn't understand japanese doesn't mean that they shouldn't want the original japanese voice acting. I'm one of those people. I'd much rather have the original japanese voice acting with subtitles than a terrible Sega-quality english dub. It's alot easier for me to take the story seriously when the voice acting doesn't make me cringe, and the great thing about having the original japanese voice acting is that even if the voice acting was bad, I probably wouldn't be able to tell. By your logic, I suppose I should know spanish, french, and chinese before watching the various foreign movies in my DVD collection. The whole point of subtitles is that we don't need to understand the language.

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
Well.. I'm all for a dual audio option.. but if I had to choose between English dub or original Japanese work... give me the English dub anyday. For some reason, I really don't think it's going to be that bad.. I mean, with Edward Elric from FMA doing the little dude's voice, how can it not rock? =D (I actually liked Edward's voice on the dubbed FMA.. I liked his JP voice too and it took me a while to get used to the dubbed FMA.. but I've come to enjoy it now..)

Plus, like some people say, I'd prefer to understand what they're saying.. and although sometimes original Japanese acting does beat out dubs.. Sometimes you just DON'T WANT TO FUCKING SIT AND READ EVERYTHING.. heaven forbid you turn your head away for a split second and miss something important being said because you couldn't read it. I think games, television shows, and movies are more enjoyable when you're watching them.. (instead of reading them like a book)

Although I'd prefer dual audio, bring on the English dub, imho.

Emrald
Sep 17, 2006, 11:39 AM
Nicely Said Watashiwa

And yes Ed's voice on FMA in english did kick ass.....I never heard his JP VA....Although I do have to admit importer brings up a good point with bad english voice acting....though I doubt it will happen with PSU, just look what happened with One Piece....Their english VAs are horible!

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 11:40 AM
On 2006-09-17 09:29, coolcat33333 wrote:

But it's not that: We also like to hear things in our own lauange...people who speak native lauanges in voice overs work hard to bring people spoken words for that character or situation...Why are you being so mean to them?

So by your logic, if a local restaurant opened up in your area and that the food sucked, you would still go there and eat to support them?

Look man, it's your life, you do what you want and buy what you want. I heard the dubbed voices of NA PSU and they scared me.

The problem here is not that North America doesn't have good voice actors, I do enjoy a lot of US cartoons and the voices are great. When making a game, the voice actors are normally not the last people to be hired, they are usually there from the start and they witness the birth of the character(s) for which they'll be providing the voices, that's art man.

When the time comes to translate a game, the work has already been done, so the people doing the new voices don't know as much as the original voice actors, they can't put the required emotions in the work. That goes for anything dubbed in any language.

Emrald
Sep 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
Like I said in my last post Importer...I can see your point and I respect you....Sorry for all the harsh things I said (if i offended you)

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 11:46 AM
On 2006-09-17 09:39, coolcat33333 wrote:
just look what happened with One Piece....Their english VAs are horible!

Anything "4Kids" touches turns to shit, really. I don't even think you can consider them a "dubbing" company. They're more like.. a profit company. What 4Kids does is take a really good anime, change it's target audience from everybody or teens to 6 year olds by adjusting dialog and story, graphic edits, replacing composed music with generic synth'd music, adding really corny shitty voice actors, THEN finally mass producing toys from said anime to .. well .. make a profit.

All 4Kids cares about is the money, not neccessarily bringing you a great product.. just a product that can sell.. and not a product that can sell to everybody.. they target... well.. kids.

As much as say Yu-Gi-Oh! and One Piece got raped harshly by 4Kids, they were VERY successful dubs because they made 4Kids a lot of money.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-17 09:46 ]</font>

DraginHikari
I don't know the dual language option for voice would be difficult unless they had a ton of space left over after everything else, considering alot of voices tend to take up quite a bit of space.

the_importer_
On 2006-09-17 09:42, coolcat33333 wrote:
Like I said in my last post Importer...I can see your point and I respect you....Sorry for all the harsh things I said (if i offended you)

No offense taking, as long as we make it clear that it's our personal opinions, that's all that it matters. Of course, I would like SEGA to keep the Japanese language as well as add English for those that don't like to read subs, it makes a more complete version when you are given the choice. They've been doing this since Saturn, I don't see why they would stop doing it, but since no info as been revealed so far, I'm not risking it.

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-09-17 09:46, DraginHikari wrote:
considering alot of voices tend to take up quite a bit of space.

The PC version of the game comes on a DVD-9 that is only using 5.3GB or so. So, they've got about 4GB to play around with. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
On 2006-09-17 09:46, DraginHikari wrote:
I don't know the dual language option for voice would be difficult unless they had a ton of space left over after everything else, considering alot of voices tend to take up quite a bit of space.

The actual game DATA on the DVD9 is compressed into 3 files of 1.95GB, total of 5.17GB (with the other files) on the disk. There would be more than enough space for another 1.95 file on the disk. A folder could be added in DATA folder once installed that would contain the JPN audio files and a simple doted ENGLISH - JAPANESE audio selection could be added in the options.

Emrald
Sep 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
One question

What makes you so sure playing around with the flies won't effect subtitles....I mean you SAY it's in game produced...but can you confirm it?

Cross
Sep 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
Yeesh... That Character video stung a bit. But on the other hand, it might just have been that the lines picked for the video weren't the most flattering. I mean, Ethan's line (and then later his 'surprised grunt') sounded pretty emotionless, but when I watched the video up at Gamespot where Ethan meets Pete, I thought that it was actually played pretty well. Besides that, some of the characters were still pretty good (Tonio, Lina, Magashi were all good, and Hyuga and Hiru Vol didn't sound bad at all in terms of at least capturing the spirit of the character).
I'm still hopeful, but I'll restrain that a little until I get to play the whole thing. At any rate, either way I'd be interested in a way to replace the audio if there isn't a dual-language option, just because I'm used to it and am generally a fan of almost everybody in the original cast (and yes, I can understand a not-insignifigant part of it).

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 12:09 PM
On 2006-09-17 09:58, coolcat33333 wrote:
One question

What makes you so sure playing around with the flies won't effect subtitles....I mean you SAY it's in game produced...but can you confirm it?

This is my own post from PSOBB.com:

OK, after asking around on other boards, I found that the program CubeMedia2 will allow me to play the video files hidden in the compressed files of the DATA folder.

This BTW, reveals to us that PSU PC, like so many other SEGA PC games, is a console port. CubeMedia2 is a PS2 game media player, it was meant to read video files from PS2 disks. Since it can read the files of PSU PC, this means that it's a PS2 port (surprise, surprise http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Anyway, the two largest files in the DATA folder:

bb9bf20481ea8682de6145bf5080e336
3a594556677a3109bf05712854f7a4d6

contain the video sequences and the equal audio sequences of the story mode. They have no Japanese subtitles, this means that the subs are added during the cut scenes themselves in the black border. In theory, replacing these two files after installing NA PSU should give us Japanese audio with English Subs.

White_Zephyr
Sep 17, 2006, 12:16 PM
On 2006-09-17 09:40, the_importer_ wrote:

So by your logic, if a local restaurant opened up in your area and that the food sucked, you would still go there and eat to support them?

Look man, it's your life, you do what you want and buy what you want. I heard the dubbed voices of NA PSU and they scared me.

The problem here is not that North America doesn't have good voice actors, I do enjoy a lot of US cartoons and the voices are great. When making a game, the voice actors are normally not the last people to be hired, they are usually there from the start and they witness the birth of the character(s) for which they'll be providing the voices, that's art man.

When the time comes to translate a game, the work has already been done, so the people doing the new voices don't know as much as the original voice actors, they can't put the required emotions in the work. That goes for anything dubbed in any language.

On 2006-09-17 09:40, the_importer_ wrote:

Thank you for that the_importer. I want a talented artist to do voice acting...someone who takes it seriously. D FOR THE WIN.

Of course there are a bajillion passionate voice actors in the US, but almost none of them work in anime. James Earl Jones, Phil LaMarr, etc. The best anime dub actor I can think of is Steven Blum (Spike and Vincent Valentine).

I TOTALLY doubt that the US voice work in PSU will be even decent. I cannot wait to swap that crap out.

uhawww
Sep 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
I'll be watching your progress closely.
This is some nice investigation.

ShardInABox
Sep 17, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hey OP. Can you see which files store the text in the game? We could then possibly copy the English Text from the US version into our imports. Thus keeping the import version AND understand it more!

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 02:12 PM
On 2006-09-17 11:43, ShardInABox wrote:
Hey OP. Can you see which files store the text in the game? We could then possibly copy the English Text from the US version into our imports. Thus keeping the import version AND understand it more!

Not sure, I don't know any games where the text is seperated from everything else like the audio. I'm a bit busy with the audio thing, so I would suggest trying it yourself. Just use the same strategy, if the text files are seperated, you should see results.

A2K
Sep 17, 2006, 04:34 PM
On 2006-09-17 09:37, watashiwa wrote:
I mean, with Edward Elric from FMA doing the little dude's voice, how can it not rock? =D (I actually liked Edward's voice on the dubbed FMA.. I liked his JP voice too and it took me a while to get used to the dubbed FMA.. but I've come to enjoy it now..)

Ah, I think you misread. The Japanese VA is the same as the one for Edward Elric (I think... I just kind of assumed since Ether made a point of going to miss him). The American fellow is someone different, although still altogether familiar to me.

It would probably have kicked a lot of ass if they were able to get Vic Mignogna to do the English voice too, but, I think the game was mostly recorded in CA and the Funi/ADV guys work out of Texas.

Hmm, I'm surprised this discussion hasn't devolved too much into a flame fest. Good work, everyone! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-17 14:35 ]</font>

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 04:42 PM
Oh, lol, I guess I did read wrong. I read it as the English dub having him and that he was gunna miss him... (Like as if he preferred the JP voices..) MY BAD..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-17 14:43 ]</font>

PJ
Sep 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
I'm glad the dubs were actually done well

You can say you don't like them, but they were done well

Alisha
Sep 17, 2006, 04:50 PM
my perspective on it is this. if im watching/playing a game/anime with a foreign language and subtitles my attention is diverted. think of it like this:it's like having one processer perform 2 tasks as opposed to delegating those 2 tasks to 2 different processors.

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 05:19 PM
On 2006-09-17 14:50, Alisha wrote:
my perspective on it is this. if im watching/playing a game/anime with a foreign language and subtitles my attention is diverted. think of it like this:it's like having one processer perform 2 tasks as opposed to delegating those 2 tasks to 2 different processors.

Humans aren't computers, they can do two tasks at the same time without pausing one. If you can't read and follow animation at the same time, that's unfortunately you're problem, but most people in the world are able to do 2 things at the same time. When driving, you need to pay attention to a multitudes of things, so if a Single mom can drive from point A to point B with 2 screaming kids in the back while staying on her trajectory, paying attention to her speed limit and watching out for crazy drivers, the average person can read subs and watch an Anime at the same time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-17 15:23 ]</font>

Alisha
Sep 17, 2006, 05:28 PM
thats not even the same thing

DraginHikari
Sep 17, 2006, 05:30 PM
Um... sorry that way too simpfied way to look at it. People handle that differently at differently levels it's not one way or another >>

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
Amen, preach it, my brothers and sisters.

Alisha
Sep 17, 2006, 05:39 PM
thats funny because me and you are probally the only black people on this board.

i hereby rename sunday boredom day!

Tystys
Sep 17, 2006, 05:40 PM
On 2006-09-17 15:30, DraginHikari wrote:
Um... sorry that way too simpfied way to look at it. People handle that differently at differently levels it's not one way or another >>

Here here!

I don't know what you're talking about, but by god you made a good point, kind sir!

DizzyDi
Sep 17, 2006, 05:41 PM
On 2006-09-17 15:39, Alisha wrote:
thats funny because me and you are probally the only black people on this board.

i hereby rename sunday boredom day!

I'm black too. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Don't leave me out.

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 05:45 PM
On 2006-09-17 15:28, Alisha wrote:
thats not even the same thing

Of course it's not, Driving is a much harder task than sitting on your ass and watching TV. Say what you will, but science as proven that humans can do multiple tasks at once. Not being able to do so would classify you with a metal weakness, which I seriously doubt that you have, or you wouldn't play RPGs or most video games for that matter. Games, especially complex ones like RPGs require you to pay attention to a multitude of things at the same time, so obviously, reading short simple subs and watching animation at the same time is a task that you are able to do.

You do have a problem, however, doing two tasks at the same time is not it. You might not be aware of this, but your problem is that your one and only language is English and you want a world where everyone speaks a language that you can understand. Anyone that likes, tolerates or speaks another language is strange and that bugs you. This is basically at the same level of racism, religious discrimination, sexism, etc...

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 05:55 PM
On 2006-09-17 15:45, the_importer_ wrote:
You do have a problem, however, doing two tasks at the same time is not it. You might not be aware of this, but your problem is that your one and only language is English and you want a world where everyone speaks a language that you can understand. Anyone that likes, tolerates or speaks another language is strange and that bugs you. This is basically at the same level of racism, religious discrimination, sexism, etc...

Oh come the fuck on.. get that shit out of here. I swear to God, if you were right next to me and you said that shit, I'd bitchslap the hell out of you.

That was the worst way to end your post ever.

The people who don't prefer the Japanese voices simply DON'T PREFER THE JAPANESE VOICES. It doesn't automatically make them racist against the Japanese. They would PREFER to hear the dialog in English.

Get that shit out of here, man, THAT was uncalled for.

You overly simplify everything you read. I guess *I* could say that YOU have a simple mind.. (Which you probably do..)

Even talking about RPGs, do you realize PSO wasn't an overly complicated RPG to begin with? PSO had some of the simplest gameplay EVER.. and there really wasn't that much you had to pay attention to or do in the game.

Some games or tasks ARE more difficult for others.. everybody doesn't have the same IQ or things they can do or put up with. Everybody is different. Everybody's mind works differently. We're all varied in every thing we do. That's what makes each and every one of us an individual and not a collective.

And, because I'm not a Japanese fanboy, now I'm automatically racist in your eyes. Well, I'm sorry, this Gaijin-san prefers the audio and text in games he plays in English.. Sue me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-17 15:58 ]</font>

Alisha
Sep 17, 2006, 05:58 PM
sorry dizzy di i guess theres three of us now XD

importer heh i just want enjoy things in my own language,and its hard for me to understand why others wouldnt want the same. as for subtitles whenever im watching something in a foreign language with subtitles i feel this stress or need to read quickly then look back up at the screen.

A2K
Sep 17, 2006, 06:05 PM
Ugh, and there it goes. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Tystys
Sep 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I agree. I don't neccesarily like subtitles myself, but I can stand them. I do feel quite rushed at times like you do. So much so that there are times where I'll be watching an anime or foreign movie and I need to rewind a little bit just to figure out what they completely said.

Subtitles also help me out in some cases as well. For instance, when I'm playing games and need to keep the volume down, I just put on subtitles.

Haruka-sama
Sep 17, 2006, 06:14 PM
It's just a preference. I used to always watch the english dub of anime because I couldn't keep up with watching the action and reading what was going on at the same time. The Japanese voice acting didn't do me any good because I didn't know any Japanese back then and it kind of just went over my head. Since I started learning Japanese and watching more things with subtitles, I almost always prefer an anime or game subbed, but that's because I can now pick up on the emotion in their voices and understand some of what they are saying.

Some of my friends, for example, don't watch much anime, so when I want to put something on in Japanese they can't keep up simply because they aren't accustomed to having to read subtitles and don't have as much interest in the Japanese language as I do.

About this switching out the audio, though, it wouldn't work for PS2 players, would it? Only PC players could do that?

Tystys
Sep 17, 2006, 06:22 PM
Yes, only PC players, unless you are some ingenius hacker, O_O

Jexune
Sep 17, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hopefully the english version with have subtitles anyway, whether the include the japanese audio or not. A lot of SEGA games I've played have, so if so you can still listen to it in Japanese and follow the story. It wont be exactly what they're saying in japanese, since they'd be dubtitles, but it's better than nothing.

Tystys
Sep 17, 2006, 06:58 PM
Well, according to this video...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MIV5Wc-oVPI

The subtitles will still be an option http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.
The reason they seem so small is because it's the 360 version.

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 07:13 PM
On 2006-09-17 15:58, Alisha wrote:
sorry dizzy di i guess theres three of us now XD

importer heh i just want enjoy things in my own language,and its hard for me to understand why others wouldnt want the same. as for subtitles whenever im watching something in a foreign language with subtitles i feel this stress or need to read quickly then look back up at the screen.

Now we're getting somewhere. You're free to enjoy whatever you like, want to live in English, live in English. You're also free to hate the idea of another language. However, don't assume that everyone wants to do and think the same way you do and don't downgrade everyone that thinks differently.

Sinue_v2
Sep 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all...."

*Bites tounge to the point of bleeding*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-09-17 18:13 ]</font>

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 08:21 PM
On 2006-09-17 18:11, Sinue_v2 wrote:
"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all...."

*Bites tounge to the point of bleeding*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2006-09-17 18:13 ]</font>

That's another way of putting it.

Phaze37
Sep 17, 2006, 08:43 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention this before....

Keep up the good work the_importer_. I don't think it's very likely that Sega will give us the original voice acting, but if you can figure out how to get the original japanese voice acting and share it with us I will be very grateful. The english voice acting is just terrible and I'd love to play it in it's original voice acting with english subtitles. It will be a bit strange seeing their lips move as if they were speaking english, but that's a tiny price to pay to have the original voice acting.

And I agree with the stuff that's been said about 4kids TV. It's downright shameful how they ruin any anime that they get ahold of. I remember watching the first episode of Sonic X in japanese with english subtitles before 4kids TV brought it here, and I was expecting it to be crap but I was surprised at how good it was, and the music was just awesome. Then I watched that episode again when 4kids brought it to north america, and I couldn't believe how badly they butchered it. Good scenes were removed for no apparent reason, the awesome music was replaced by crap, (why on earth would they put in the effort required to replace the music?!? It boggles my mind!) and the voice acting was terrible but at least that was expected. The rest of the series sucked even in japanese though.

Tystys
Sep 17, 2006, 08:47 PM
Well, one of the main reasons they probably replaced the music because of cultural differences. I don't know what the JP song was, but I bet you 10-1 it had japanese lyrics XD....

And because Sonic usually appeals to a demographic below the age of 12-14, they changed alot of stuff because more people below that age don't even know how weird the Japanese may seem XD

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 09:04 PM
On 2006-09-17 18:43, Phaze37 wrote:
I can't believe I forgot to mention this before....

Keep up the good work the_importer_. I don't think it's very likely that Sega will give us the original voice acting, but if you can figure out how to get the original japanese voice acting and share it with us I will be very grateful. The english voice acting is just terrible and I'd love to play it in it's original voice acting with english subtitles. It will be a bit strange seeing their lips move as if they were speaking english, but that's a tiny price to pay to have the original voice acting.

And I agree with the stuff that's been said about 4kids TV. It's downright shameful how they ruin any anime that they get ahold of. I remember watching the first episode of Sonic X in japanese with english subtitles before 4kids TV brought it here, and I was expecting it to be crap but I was surprised at how good it was, and the music was just awesome. Then I watched that episode again when 4kids brought it to north america, and I couldn't believe how badly they butchered it. Good scenes were removed for no apparent reason, the awesome music was replaced by crap, (why on earth would they put in the effort required to replace the music?!? It boggles my mind!) and the voice acting was terrible but at least that was expected. The rest of the series sucked even in japanese though.

Thanks, I'll do my best. My chances of success are probably better than SOA leaving the Japanese voices as an option, but for obvious reasons, I hope they prove me wrong.

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 09:05 PM
On 2006-09-17 18:47, Tystys wrote:
Well, one of the main reasons they probably replaced the music because of cultural differences. I don't know what the JP song was, but I bet you 10-1 it had japanese lyrics XD....

And because Sonic usually appeals to a demographic below the age of 12-14, they changed alot of stuff because more people below that age don't even know how weird the Japanese may seem XD

Actually, from the videos I've seen, the soundtrack in the same as the Japanese version. The opening Song (Save this world) will be the same for all 3 Regions.

watashiwa
Sep 17, 2006, 09:07 PM
On 2006-09-17 18:47, Tystys wrote:

No, they replace them because they don't want to license the music. One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh! originally had some of the most beautiful music I've heard in animes.. I bought all of the soundtracks to Yu-Gi-Oh! and, well, downloaded the One Piece ones..

Anyhow, besides the OP/END and character voice themes, music doesn't really need a translation. Like I said, 4Kids is out to make a profit, it's a lot less cost for them to rip the original music out and place in their own stuff they do with their synthizier.. and that's what they do. =)

Tystys
Sep 17, 2006, 09:10 PM
Ah OK. That does sound like more of a valid reason, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.

the_importer_
Sep 17, 2006, 09:39 PM
I've added 3 updates to the page:

-Victory Fanfare
-Parum Dark Palace
-Parum Dragon Fight

All updates will be market in red.

prismsub5
Sep 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
On 2006-09-16 21:59, Alisha wrote:

Try playing games like Dynasty Warriors or Ninety-Nine Nights http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif
But seriouly, Sega should just include a dual language option (with subs offcourse) and make both sides happy (which I doubt they would do that),

This discussion of playing games subbed or dubbed has started since the first spoken japanese game, and you know what? Nobody switched sides.

If want to see which files PSU accesses, download file monitor from the sysinternals website, it makes your job much faster http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Disastorm
Sep 18, 2006, 07:32 PM
On 2006-09-17 03:23, Ether wrote:

also known as Temari and Hitsugaya Toushiro.

the_importer_
Sep 21, 2006, 08:17 PM
update 9/21/2006

I'll have to play the game offline if I want the rest or wait for updates.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: the_importer_ on 2006-09-21 18:20 ]</font>