PDA

View Full Version : So ... is the ranger gimped?

wyzwun
Sep 18, 2006, 07:14 PM
I hate to even ask this question, but as a long fan of Wren from past pstar, ive always made RAcast in pso, and in PSU i was looking foward to cast ranger... but from what i am reading it looks like the ranger is a gimp?

If someone whos played the game can give me a heads up... i mean i played a dark knight in ffxi for about year, help me out with some advice.

McLaughlin
Sep 18, 2006, 07:16 PM
O_O That's a big Sig.

And no, Rangers aren't gimped. They just aren't the bringers of death they were in PSO (they aren't broken anymore).

Emrald
Sep 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
Rangers require stragity now which rocks because it was to easy to play the game as a ranger in PSO.....yeah a mod is going to definitly destroy your signature

jarek99
Sep 18, 2006, 07:29 PM
Rangers were broken in PSO. Stand back fire your gun alot. If things get too close for comfort, walk out the door, then rinse and repeat. No risk combat. It got fairly boring to me.

wyzwun
Sep 18, 2006, 08:09 PM
ill have to fix the sig, the thing that i am unclear about is the role of the ranger in psu. For me, there is some what of an RP thing, were as i always saw Wren as a ranger and not a hunter.

I just want to understand more about the class, whats its role? is it a DD if it is, how does it compare to Hunters? Do people dislike rangers? Like i said, i came from ffxi, was a 75 DRK. Had to really struggle with playing a broken class and i am flat out not interested in investing a lot of work into a toon and find out its broken... i dont want to be

"lolranger"

tihoa
Sep 18, 2006, 08:15 PM
it's not broken it's just that because guns are no longer "infinite ammo with no time needed to recharge" people decided to call them "gimped" or "broken". as long as you customize your equipment properly, you will do fine. all a ranger needs is a couple of status effect causing guns paired up with a melee weapon or two.

you can laugh in the hunter's face when they run out of PP against a flying boss and they have to rely on you.
you can also laugh in their face when you shoot the dragon from far away while all the melee characters are being trampled on >.>

here's what i think of the weapons so far.
rifles are VERY good.
handguns are good.
dual handguns are good.
bows are too slow but ridiculously strong.
beam cannons are VERY good.
shotguns are weak and slow but if you do it close range, you hit an enemy several times in 1 hit.

Kent
Sep 18, 2006, 08:19 PM
...Did you just call DRK broken? "Broken" is more along the lines of NIN or PUP (opposite ends of the spectrum of broken-ness).

From what I can understand, as far as being a damage-dealer, Rangers in PSU, have reverted back to how they were in PSOv1 - inferior to both Hunters and Forces, for pure damage. However, from my understanding, they have more of a support role this time around, using elemental shots to tag enemies with status effects and such, and leaving the actual mass-killing to the people dropping nukes, and the people who don't mind risking taking hits, and running into the fray.

Alexandrious1
Sep 18, 2006, 08:23 PM
On 2006-09-18 18:15, tihoa wrote:
it's not broken it's just that because guns are no longer "infinite ammo with no time needed to recharge" people decided to call them "gimped" or "broken". as long as you customize your equipment properly, you will do fine. all a ranger needs is a couple of status effect causing guns paired up with a melee weapon or two.

you can laugh in the hunter's face when they run out of PP against a flying boss and they have to rely on you.
you can also laugh in their face when you shoot the dragon from far away while all the melee characters are being trampled on >.>

here's what i think of the weapons so far.
rifles are VERY good.
handguns are good.
dual handguns are good.
bows are too slow but ridiculously strong.
beam cannons are VERY good.
shotguns are weak and slow but if you do it close range, you hit an enemy several times in 1 hit.

And when the ranger gets one shotted but the hunter doesnt, what then? How bout the hunter expert class thats hunter/ranger combined =o or the Wartechter? /hmm =3

kassy
Sep 18, 2006, 08:24 PM
Rangers are a lot more in depth now, way more fun to play than in PSO, they actually feel like their own class now, as apposed to the "hunters with guns" they were in PSO.

Parn
Sep 18, 2006, 08:26 PM
The one big thing I noticed most PSU players neglecting is the suppressive fire aspect from ranged weapons. Most melee attacks do not make monsters flinch starting with rank B missions, and this is a major problem that hunters have to deal with... ranged weapons however, seem to not suffer this problem. Vandal's volley of gunfire on enemies when I'd duo with him, despite not doing as much damage as my melee hits would, would keep a monster constantly flinching and/or being frozen, allowing me to circle around to the back and unleash the fury with no risk. I may have been able to solo most C rank missions with little problem, but B rank and beyond, things become considerably more difficult, all because monsters won't flinch from most of my melee attacks.

Rangers are fantastic for a party, damage be damned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2006-09-18 18:27 ]</font>

wyzwun
Sep 18, 2006, 08:26 PM
that sounds nice... jesus now i may roll a ranger then...

but the way i understand is you have to spec out on certain weps?

wyzwun
Sep 18, 2006, 08:29 PM
On 2006-09-18 18:19, Kent wrote:
...Did you just call DRK broken? "Broken" is more along the lines of NIN or PUP (opposite ends of the spectrum of broken-ness).

From what I can understand, as far as being a damage-dealer, Rangers in PSU, have reverted back to how they were in PSOv1 - inferior to both Hunters and Forces, for pure damage. However, from my understanding, they have more of a support role this time around, using elemental shots to tag enemies with status effects and such, and leaving the actual mass-killing to the people dropping nukes, and the people who don't mind risking taking hits, and running into the fray.

yea broken, i played DRK before acc food and abs tp. maybe the only class worse was DRG and THF. So, yea i dont want to go thru that again.

Parn
Sep 18, 2006, 08:32 PM
This game handles nothing like Final Fantasy XI. You'll be able to enjoy the game no matter what class you play, because honestly, no one will really care what class you play. The only thing that will matter to most players is that you don't die, because anyone that dies costs the team S rank in missions.

wyzwun
Sep 18, 2006, 08:32 PM
On 2006-09-18 18:26, Parn wrote:
The one big thing I noticed most PSU players neglecting is the suppressive fire aspect from ranged weapons. Most melee attacks do not make monsters flinch starting with rank B missions, and this is a major problem that hunters have to deal with... ranged weapons however, seem to not suffer this problem. Vandal's volley of gunfire on enemies when I'd duo with him, despite not doing as much damage as my melee hits would, would keep a monster constantly flinching and/or being frozen, allowing me to circle around to the back and unleash the fury with no risk. I may have been able to solo most C rank missions with little problem, but B rank and beyond, things become considerably more difficult, all because monsters won't flinch from most of my melee attacks.

Rangers are fantastic for a party, damage be damned.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2006-09-18 18:27 ]</font>

here is the problem i see, correct me if i am indeed wrong cause im talking out my ass. a multi ranger pt wont work? IE if the ranger DPS is too low, then people wont not want to have 2 rangers in a group, now on the other hand i am sure having multi hunters and a fo works just fine... ?

tihoa
Sep 18, 2006, 08:35 PM
nothing gets 1 shotted in PSU unless you somehow magically end up in the HIVE at below lvl 30 and youre still using C rank equipment. it's not like PSO where the forces could be one shotted all the time in Ultimate Mode. normally you have to be lvl 60 to get into the HIVE btw.

OR

you get hit by megid

OR

the final boss drops its meteor of death on you

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tihoa on 2006-09-18 18:36 ]</font>

Alexandrious1
Sep 18, 2006, 08:38 PM
I watched alot of ingame vids and seen alot of posts on bosses. People do get one shotted, either in one hit or just in 2-3 hit repeatedly all at near an instant which they couldnt avoid.

Weird thing is this mostly happened to Cast Hunters and Rangers.....

Parn
Sep 18, 2006, 08:40 PM
That's not true at all. I've watched the dragon one-shot plenty of people.

Emrald
Sep 18, 2006, 08:41 PM
BOOM BOOM! BOOM! I HIT YOU WITH BIG METORS! WTF?! HOW DID YOU SURVIVE THAT!? WTF HE REALLY IS SUPER ETHAN!!!!

moving on.....

Yes from what I heard Rangers will be fun to play...though I will have a force main i will play three other characters about equally

Itsuki
Sep 18, 2006, 08:55 PM
Parn speaks truths from experiences. I'm tired of RA threads though.

Ranger's job is damage control. They can take half of a group of monsters effectively out of battle in large groups of monsters. When there is only 1-2 monsters, they can basically stunlock that monster. Hell, I can practically keep the boss of Relics frozen for the entire fight before I even get close enough for his model to load on my screen. And while hes frozen, the rest of the party can tear into him without fear of anything. Even later on when you fight multiple of these bosses at once, you can still keep atleast one of them frozen.

Basically, if a ranger is in a party, everyone else in the party deals damage faster, and takes damage slower. And while doing this, they deal decent enough damage. Also, out of all of the classes, they take the LEAST amount of damage. High evade, and 3x the range of most force spells.

Also, De Ragan one hits everybody. Though if you're a ranger, you really shouldn't even get hit by De Ragan at all if you use a Rifle. Your range is far more than that of De Ragan's. In most fights with him, I don't even get touched. Literally don't get touched at all. Also, they're one of the highest damage dealers to De Ragan (Ice is generally high leveled + ability to hit wings / neck / head from all angles and distances).

If anything, Rangers shine at bosses. Decent enough HP to not get one shot all the time, and the ability to hit from distances outside of most boss attacks, at the very least, you can see the attack coming since you're far away and have alot of time to move. Some bosses tend to stay outside of the range of Hunters and Forces. Bosses like Onma are almost Ranger-required since he stays in the air so much.

tihoa
Sep 18, 2006, 09:02 PM
which dragon?

theres at least 2 dragons. the normal one that breathes fire and the two headed one that breathes fire and ice. i died once from getting hit by the ice one then getting hit TWICE by the fire one. dunno if that counts as a 1 hit kill.

later in the game, if a ranger carries 2 or 3 rifles with enough PP, they can clear an entire stage by themselves >.>. the stronger rifles are way too cheap.

most people die when they're frozen unless their team mates help them out. being frozen and mobbed by monsters is not fun. in offline mode, the AI just stands there and watches you die.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tihoa on 2006-09-18 19:03 ]</font>

kazuma56
Sep 18, 2006, 09:12 PM
How long ae the flinching animations? because I think if you worked with meleeing and shooting it would be possible to mix both of them up without taking a hit (haven't played the game so can't say anything about attack speed or if it can increase or not)

Although my RAmar in PSO will still be my favourite character, this time I think that a hunter might take his place because the reason I liked my RAmar was because he wasn't restricted to just range and I could adapt to situations more effectively because of the fact I could melee and range; well here's to expert classing working like I think it shold so I can "recreate" my RAmar.

tihoa
Sep 18, 2006, 09:19 PM
i dont think the flinching animations matter anymore. you seem to get hit no matter what kind of situation you are.

theres getting hit while attacking (you get knocked out of it).
theres getting hit while frozen (nothing happens but you seem to take more crits).
theres getting hit and flinching.
theres getting knocked down.
theres getting hit while down >.>
and theres getting knocked down and flying back several feet.

in this game, any class can use a huge variety of equipment. i think everyone can use at least a C wand. rangers can use about half of the melee weapons (up to B). hunters can use about half of the guns but with less efficiency (C only except handguns which are B). forces can use a bit of everything (2 B melee, 3 B guns, and S for staffs) .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tihoa on 2006-09-18 19:20 ]</font>

Parn
Sep 18, 2006, 09:28 PM
You realize you're talking about offline mode, tihoa? Most of what you just said doesn't apply at all, since the nature of this discussion is multiplayer in network mode.

kazuma56
Sep 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
Is there a guide to what each class as a singular type can equip online from different classes? like if i rolled a Ranger do I have access to dual sabers or claymore weapons? or just the saber and dagger?

DiosGX
Sep 18, 2006, 09:38 PM
On 2006-09-18 18:55, Itsuki-chan wrote:
Bosses like Onma are almost Ranger-required since he stays in the air so much.

Question about this boss, you can't just shoot his wings in network mode to make him keel over to get owned in the face? I don't think Rifles are even required to do that.

Curious.

Parn
Sep 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
On 2006-09-18 19:38, kazuma56 wrote:
Is there a guide to what each class as a singular type can equip online from different classes? like if i rolled a Ranger do I have access to dual sabers or claymore weapons? or just the saber and dagger?
Rangers have access to saber, dagger, and spear for melee weapons.

kazuma56
Sep 18, 2006, 09:51 PM
bah, all single target weapons... so if anything, i'll probably go Hu/Ra as opposed to Ra/hu if expert mode goes by which class you start out with (weapon-wise).

tihoa
Sep 18, 2006, 09:55 PM
for getting hit is the same offline and online. i tried it. unless you somehow feel lag and get hit at the same time, i haven't seen that happen yet. for some reason, when you lag you have a higher chance of "blocking" the attacks. most animations will still let you get hit.

online the enemies are a bit stronger than offline but you will almost never get 1 hit killed.

there seems to be a few small differences between the weapons you can equip online and offline but its nothing major.

you can shoot the wings but its quite harder to knock down larger enemies. the sword skill works well with the small dragons and the bats but you probably can't reach the bosses with it. at times it may be easier to just hide under and to the side of the boss and attack it rather than try to bring it crashing down.

the spear can hit 2 targets that are lined up.

kazuma56
Sep 18, 2006, 10:03 PM
oh really? even so the arc/sweep of the partizan(spear now I assume) or sword in PSO was more then enough for me to balance close-range crowd control with my RAmar when needed, and if enemy patterns mimic PSO, I doubt enemies will ever be perfectly lined up for the "piercing" effect to actually work.

Parn
Sep 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
On 2006-09-18 19:55, tihoa wrote:
for getting hit is the same offline and online. i tried it. unless you somehow feel lag and get hit at the same time, i haven't seen that happen yet. for some reason, when you lag you have a higher chance of "blocking" the attacks. most animations will still let you get hit.
We're talking about monster flinching, not player flinching.

there seems to be a few small differences between the weapons you can equip online and offline but its nothing major.
LAFFO.

http://synbios.net/games/PSU/1.jpg http://synbios.net/games/PSU/2.jpg
Online hunter level 3 on the left, with Offline hunter level 1 on the right.

Are we even playing the same game, or what?

Zelutos
Sep 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
Regardless of what people think, i will be a human ranger.

McLaughlin
Sep 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
Is that a Hunter or the God of War? O_O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zeta on 2006-09-18 20:21 ]</font>

kazuma56
Sep 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
I noticed each tree has 1 "new" weapon type not seen offline, anyone have a clue what they are?

DiosGX
Sep 18, 2006, 10:23 PM
Hunter one is an Axe, force one is a fan. Both can be seen behind the shop counters (Axes are on Moatoob, for you network players who haven't seen yet). The ranger one though, no clue.

kazuma56
Sep 18, 2006, 10:28 PM
oh yea, the axe shown in the preview... maybe that last "ranger" weapon is that tonfa/slicer variant that people were speculating.

I hope the axe has its own individual PA's and is used for crowd control as opposed to single target like PSO (berdysh was the only saving grace to see a axe multi-target weapon).

ProfessorZ
Sep 18, 2006, 10:28 PM
On 2006-09-18 20:23, DiosGX wrote:
Hunter one is an Axe, force one is a fan. Both can be seen behind the shop counters (Axes are on Moatoob, for you network players who haven't seen yet). The ranger one though, no clue.

What are you talking about? I'm freaking excited!! Now I have to strategize and rationalize! Can't wait to make my RAmar

DiosGX
Sep 18, 2006, 10:34 PM
Talking about the images Parn posted, I thought it was kind of obvious given the context of the posts above mine.

ProfessorZ
Sep 18, 2006, 11:05 PM
I hereby declare Ranger the funnest job