PDA

View Full Version : Who is responsible for the 360 server separation?

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 12:13 AM
I'd like to know the company and/or companies name(s), and any person or persons that were responsible for the 360 server separation decision.

Whoever made this decision has got my attention, and I'm unbelievably #@$$ed off at them. This is going to screw up everything! Of course I'm not getting it for the PS2, but I did have to choose between the 360 version and the PC version and I was leaning for the 360 because of the voice chat! Also because the original PSO was on DC, and I thought it would be nice to go back to the console with PS. But they just had to #$@& it all up, didn't they? Some of my friends don't have a 360 and others do, and this is going to #$&@ up everything! Now I can't play PSU with them all!! I am seriously @#$$ed here...you wouldn't believe how mad I am about this...but anyway..

That turned into more of a rant then I initially intended, but still, does anyone have any information about this? I'd like to know who to be mad at, it won't do any good, but at least I won't be pointing blame at the wrong person.

Taichi
Sep 20, 2006, 12:16 AM
Well if you feel that way then you should just get either both or get the PC version to be with your friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I think it was a good move that they did this as it seems like they will try new things this time instead of the failure that was PSO-X.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 20, 2006, 12:21 AM
You can't always get what you want.

Seriously, the 360 server separation has been known for a very long, since about a week after the 360 version was announced.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ffuzzy-Logik on 2006-09-19 22:22 ]</font>

Shade-
Sep 20, 2006, 12:26 AM
The only specific thing I recall from interviews went something like this.

Microsoft insisted that the game runs in compliance with "Xbox Live" servers and all that jazz (voice chat etc.)

SEGA/ST cannot/willnot adapt to meet MSs demands (no voice chat on PS2) but allows the game to be released on the 360 anyway and lets MS handle thier servers, therefore, seperated.

Take it as you will, I observe the root of the problem is MS insisting the game have voice chat. I'm not saying having voice chat is necessarily bad, but a game like this is perfectly playable with a keyboard. Hell, PSO was fine to play with a virtual KB.

I understand your frustration with the situation, but as long as you have alternative platforms, I don't quite understand why you are so angry >.>;;

Anyway, if it's between friends and voice chat (+$10 for the game, +needing XBL if you dont have it already), I don't see why one would pick the 360 version.

PS, we knew there were going to be complications with the 360 version, but I believe it was just recently CONFIRMED that it will be seperated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shade- on 2006-09-19 22:27 ]</font>

TwilightSea
Sep 20, 2006, 12:30 AM
And besides sometimes when you're in the heat of battle, voice chat is a viable solution. I mean, are you really going to drop the controller to say something when you're in the middle of the fight with Olga Flow?

Animosity
Sep 20, 2006, 12:31 AM
dude either fork out the 125 bucs for a ps2 or stop complaining. i like the separation. if they allowed ps2,pc,and xbox 360 to all play together then we 360 wouldnt be able to use voice chat. ff11 is a perfect example.plus tons of psowers are gettin it on 360 including me.... make some new friends

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Animosity on 2006-09-19 22:32 ]</font>

Eclypse
Sep 20, 2006, 12:40 AM
On 2006-09-19 22:13, Soundfx4 wrote:
I'd like to know the company and/or companies name(s), and any person or persons that were responsible for the 360 server separation decision.

Whoever made this decision has got my attention, and I'm unbelievably #@$$ed off at them. This is going to screw up everything! Of course I'm not getting it for the PS2, but I did have to choose between the 360 version and the PC version and I was leaning for the 360 because of the voice chat! Also because the original PSO was on DC, and I thought it would be nice to go back to the console with PS. But they just had to #$@& it all up, didn't they? Some of my friends don't have a 360 and others do, and this is going to #$&@ up everything! Now I can't play PSU with them all!! I am seriously @#$$ed here...you wouldn't believe how mad I am about this...but anyway

Ok don't take this personally, but. Who cares that you're mad? The companies could care less, the message board could care less, and there are countless other people that could care less.

The separation is happening because Sega doesn't want to relinguish control of it's server to MSFTs standards when it comes to how Xbox Live is handled, and I don't blame MSFT for not wanting to conform.

This should come as NO surprise to anyone that played PSO for the Gamecube or the Xbox, so why people are surprise now is beyond me.

This is in no way going to fuck up anything because you still have plenty of options for playing this game and if you can't decide because you have friends that play on 360 or PS2 or PC then you all need to find a common ground and hash it out. Since the accounts are reversible for the PS2 and PC you shouldn't have to worry to much there, but for the friends that you have who play on the 360, you will have to make the decision of who you want to play with more.

I personally couldn't be happier that they are divided seeing as alot of people I knew from the Xbox and GC days are all on the 360 now, and with the launch of the EU version combining with the US version, that will only increase the size of the US/EU version of PSU.

In the end I think you will make your mind up, but in the mean time their is NO need to be angry because in the end it's a waste of your time and our time for having to read it.

Yachiru
Sep 20, 2006, 01:13 AM
I can pretty much agree with everything Eclypse said. You're only one of the few people who are pissed. I couldn't be happier that they seperated the servers, we get to be off in our own little world, without the crowded servers and such. Of course, I was debating about it being seperated before, but I don't really mind it. Voice chat is one of the main attributes to XBox Live, I'm sure the PS2 and PC users don't want to here us bickering and discussing strats and whatever else we talk about.

Kers
Sep 20, 2006, 02:06 AM
I speculated this with someone from psow recently. We discussed that though the PC and PS2 are capable of supporting voice chat, Sega/MS wanted/required PSU to be an "Xbox Live-enabled game".
My observation is that "XBL-enabled" games are only playable via an Xbox/Xbox360. Example: FFXI isn't "XBL-enabled". My thoughts are that Square Enix viewed the 360 version better connected with PC/PS2 than with the benifits of XBL.

On 2006-09-19 22:26, Shade- wrote:
The only specific thing I recall from interviews went something like this.

Microsoft insisted that the game runs in compliance with "Xbox Live" servers and all that jazz (voice chat etc.)

the interview statements would make MS's XBL-enabled requirement more solid. Mind providing a url?

Edit: I think a good number of people have friends who will be playing on PC/PS2 so, it's fine to be upset about it. I believe it is possible to link all the platforms, but not preferred by MS/Sega.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-09-20 00:11 ]</font>

A2K
Sep 20, 2006, 03:41 AM
It's certainly easier from a management perspective. However, I don't think it was done because it would have been easier to actually implement--I mean Square Enix basically ported Final Fantasy XI completely intact with no changes and little to no Xbox Live enhancements, so what they've done is definitely possible to do with other games.

I honestly don't believe Microsoft was doing any "insisting" to any party. Nor does it really matter what Microsoft or Sega's motives are, because it doesn't really change the current situation.

With that said, on the surface, it doesn't look like it would take too much work to eventually make the servers interoperable.

The root problem keeping everything separated would be data access/storage. How would PC/PS2 Player 1 access Xbox 360 Player 2's Room if they're on separate server systems? It's a similar situation situation to Japan's World 1 and World 2.

Gamertag replacing partner card number? Assign all registered gamertags a unique partner card number.

Microsoft Points/Xbox Live-based subscriptions? Aside from the login servers, the actual game doesn't have to care about or deal with anything of that nature.

Voice chat? Either disabled entirely when on PC/PS2 servers or just ignored by the PC/PS2 clients. The Xbox 360 client should warn users about it when jumping to a PC/PS2 Universe.

The fact the game is mostly server-side helps keep the door open for this sort of thing, really. I'd say it was definitely bridgable.

On the other hand, if actual server load became an issue as it did in Japan, then the separation could probably be viewed as a good thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-20 01:45 ]</font>

kassy
Sep 20, 2006, 03:44 AM
No one here works for Sega, Sonic Team or Microsoft, so no here has an answer, if anyone gives you a reason it's purely a guess.

No one knows the actual reasoning being the split, could be a technical decision, or could be business decision, we don't know.

Losodo1976
Sep 20, 2006, 03:56 AM
Microsoft made the decision when they decided that typing on a keyboard to chat wasn't social. Voice chat became their paradigm and the 360 followed the trail after the original Xbox. Now the servers for PSU are separated between keyboard centric systems and non-keyboard centric systems.

I'm not a big fan of voice chat in games, but especially in a game such as PSO/PSU. The chat bubbles are a key part of the experience (at least they are for me).

You can use keyboards on the 360 (I think) so I'm not sure why they couldn't just make it so 360 users could opt to send voice chat to one another only or to just type to everyone else.

Zael
Sep 20, 2006, 06:04 AM
Meh, they shoulda had something like FFXI's Playonline so they can link the servers. I'm quite disappointed as well.

Ryogen
Sep 20, 2006, 06:18 AM
I think it's a good idea. I mean 360 users won't have to deal with PS2 (and vice versa...no offence) and we won't have to deal with PC users messing with us or hackers. PC and PS2 are good together. We will actually be just as big as those 2 in my opinion.

Magician
Sep 20, 2006, 06:52 AM
I'm also in favor of seperation.

Keep the mic users on one end and the type-talkers on the other.

Zael
Sep 20, 2006, 07:38 AM
Main reason I'm against it is because I have a lot of friends and I hate having to choose which ones to play with.

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
On 2006-09-19 22:31, Animosity wrote:
dude either fork out the 125 bucs for a ps2 or stop complaining. i like the separation. if they allowed ps2,pc,and xbox 360 to all play together then we 360 wouldnt be able to use voice chat. ff11 is a perfect example.plus tons of psowers are gettin it on 360 including me.... make some new friends

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Animosity on 2006-09-19 22:32 ]</font>

Dude, I have a PS2, and why would I choose the PS2 version over PC when I clearly stated my main choices were either the 360 or the PC version?

Making new friends is not the answer, a good friend of mine and myself used to play PSO all the way back in the DC days, and I'll be damned if we aren't going to be able to play PSU together.

hah, never-mind, found the word fuck from another member, I think I'm good with damn http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-20 17:51 ]</font>

-Break-
Sep 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
Umm, if you already own a PS2 and you want to play with your friends so badly then why don't you just use the effing PS2?

Plus for PC PSU you can always just use a party talk application and play with a console-style controller...

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 07:46 PM
On 2006-09-19 22:40, Eclypse wrote:

Whoever made this decision has got my attention, and I'm unbelievably #@$$ed off at them. This is going to screw up everything! Of course I'm not getting it for the PS2, but I did have to choose between the 360 version and the PC version and I was leaning for the 360 because of the voice chat! Also because the original PSO was on DC, and I thought it would be nice to go back to the console with PS. But they just had to #$@& it all up, didn't they? Some of my friends don't have a 360 and others do, and this is going to #$&@ up everything! Now I can't play PSU with them all!! I am seriously @#$$ed here...you wouldn't believe how mad I am about this...but anyway

Ok don't take this personally, but. Who cares that you're mad? The companies could care less, the message board could care less, and there are countless other people that could care less.

The separation is happening because Sega doesn't want to relinguish control of it's server to MSFTs standards when it comes to how Xbox Live is handled, and I don't blame MSFT for not wanting to conform.

This should come as NO surprise to anyone that played PSO for the Gamecube or the Xbox, so why people are surprise now is beyond me.

This is in no way going to fuck up anything because you still have plenty of options for playing this game and if you can't decide because you have friends that play on 360 or PS2 or PC then you all need to find a common ground and hash it out. Since the accounts are reversible for the PS2 and PC you shouldn't have to worry to much there, but for the friends that you have who play on the 360, you will have to make the decision of who you want to play with more.

I personally couldn't be happier that they are divided seeing as alot of people I knew from the Xbox and GC days are all on the 360 now, and with the launch of the EU version combining with the US version, that will only increase the size of the US/EU version of PSU.

In the end I think you will make your mind up, but in the mean time their is NO need to be angry because in the end it's a waste of your time and our time for having to read it.

I've already made up my mind, I'm going with the PC version.

And how could you be happy that they are dividing them? If they kept them together, the only problem I can see are the servers being too crowded, but dividing them creates many more complications, such as mine, and at least one other persons dilema here.

The xbox live thing is nice, but it creates complications such as this one. In these cases xbox live can go fuck its self for all I care. Hell, it can do that anyway, as I've never liked xbox live and I've always hated Microsoft...which will make many of you wander why I bought a 360. Well I guess the closest thing to an answer I can give you is that I like to buy all the consoles when they come out, that and the graphics are fricken sweet, so I had to dip in that. The one thing I'm not dippin in is xbox live, like I said, good idea, but just creates to many complications.

Btw, the companies couldn't care less because they are heartless soulless rich bastards that only care about making ridiculously large amounts of money, and they all deserve a fate much worse then death for their greed and I would be more then happy to deliver such a punishment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-20 18:08 ]</font>

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
On 2006-09-20 17:46, -Break- wrote:
Umm, if you already own a PS2 and you want to play with your friends so badly then why don't you just use the effing PS2?

Plus for PC PSU you can always just use a party talk application and play with a console-style controller...

Hold on a second, you missed a few things.

Why would I choose the PS2 version when I have the option to buy the PC version? PC has much better graphics. Also, some of my friends have a 360, and some have a PC and/or PS2, so how would just using the PS2 version help me there?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-20 18:01 ]</font>

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 07:59 PM
On 2006-09-20 01:41, A2K wrote:
It's certainly easier from a management perspective. However, I don't think it was done because it would have been easier to actually implement--I mean Square Enix basically ported Final Fantasy XI completely intact with no changes and little to no Xbox Live enhancements, so what they've done is definitely possible to do with other games.

I honestly don't believe Microsoft was doing any "insisting" to any party. Nor does it really matter what Microsoft or Sega's motives are, because it doesn't really change the current situation.

With that said, on the surface, it doesn't look like it would take too much work to eventually make the servers interoperable.

The root problem keeping everything separated would be data access/storage. How would PC/PS2 Player 1 access Xbox 360 Player 2's Room if they're on separate server systems? It's a similar situation situation to Japan's World 1 and World 2.

Gamertag replacing partner card number? Assign all registered gamertags a unique partner card number.

Microsoft Points/Xbox Live-based subscriptions? Aside from the login servers, the actual game doesn't have to care about or deal with anything of that nature.

Voice chat? Either disabled entirely when on PC/PS2 servers or just ignored by the PC/PS2 clients. The Xbox 360 client should warn users about it when jumping to a PC/PS2 Universe.

The fact the game is mostly server-side helps keep the door open for this sort of thing, really. I'd say it was definitely bridgable.

On the other hand, if actual server load became an issue as it did in Japan, then the separation could probably be viewed as a good thing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-09-20 01:45 ]</font>

well I never really thought about the server load problem. : (sigh) I guess it isn't too big of a deal, and to be honest I don't understand why it upset me so much. After reading a lot of your responces, I suddenly don't mind. It did take me a minute though, as you can see from my latest replies, but for some reason I don't feel as much anger inside of me anymore...

Off topic!

lol! I love your sig! I remember the first time I saw that in PSO v1! I'll never forget that, "You see? I have the knack" hah http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

kassy
Sep 20, 2006, 08:02 PM
On 2006-09-20 17:46, Soundfx4 wrote:
Seriously, if the people responsible for this were in front of me right now, I couldn't tell you what I would do to them, because I'm so pissed that I don't know where my rage would take me...most likely it would take me to jail for at the very least assault.

Jesus, it's just a game.

It's also funny watching people pull theories out there a$$, as if they'd been working for Microsoft or Sega for years.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-09-20 18:04 ]</font>

Invisible1122
Sep 20, 2006, 08:05 PM
I understand your problem man. I'm not sure why there are people telling you to buy the ps2 one 0_o Anyway yeah it sucks personally I'd go with the 360 one because I prefer consoles(and my friends will be on that).(and WoW has made me sick of pc gaming) But good luck with your choice. Maybe you can convice your pc friends to buy a 360 or your 360 friends to buy PSU for the pc.(more likely)

-Break-
Sep 20, 2006, 08:06 PM
On 2006-09-20 17:50, Soundfx4 wrote:

Well it seams you missed my point...it also seams you didn't read everything I posted, so I'll recap.

Why in the hell would I choose the PS2 version when I have the option to buy the PC version? If anyone that has a gaming PC and a PS2 buys the PS2 version, I'm going to have to wander about them. And you apparently also missed that some of my friends have a 360 and others only have a PC, so how does using the PS2 version solve that problem?

I didn't miss the information, I simply didn't care. Obviously from the situation you posted some of your friends are going to be split up no matter what you chose. Also you wrote that there was a certian friend with whom you've played with for a long time and from the way you spoke of it I figured he was on the PS2/PC server so if playing with him/her was the main priority then switching seemed a obvious solution to me. I admit I missed you mentioning that you have a gaming PC, I simply read where you mentioned 360 and PC we're your top choice. If that is the case then yes, screw the PS2.

PS - Me and my friends have had to deal with the seperation issue as well so I understand where you're coming from

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-09-20 18:08 ]</font>

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 08:11 PM
On 2006-09-19 22:16, Taichi wrote:
Well if you feel that way then you should just get either both or get the PC version to be with your friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I think it was a good move that they did this as it seems like they will try new things this time instead of the failure that was PSO-X.

oh crap, in all my ranting and raving I forgot to ask you...what is PSO-X? I never heard of that?

One more question, if I get both versions, would I be able to build my character with one, and then continue with that character with the other platform? I'm assuming the answer to this is no, but I thought I might as well ask.

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 08:12 PM
On 2006-09-20 18:06, -Break- wrote:

On 2006-09-20 17:50, Soundfx4 wrote:

Well it seams you missed my point...it also seams you didn't read everything I posted, so I'll recap.

Why in the hell would I choose the PS2 version when I have the option to buy the PC version? If anyone that has a gaming PC and a PS2 buys the PS2 version, I'm going to have to wander about them. And you apparently also missed that some of my friends have a 360 and others only have a PC, so how does using the PS2 version solve that problem?

I didn't miss the information, I simply didn't care. Obviously from the situation you posted some of your friends are going to be split up no matter what you chose. Also you wrote that there was a certian friend with whom you've played with for a long time and from the way you spoke of it I figured he was on the PS2/PC server so if playing with him/her was the main priority then switching seemed a obvious solution to me. I admit I missed you mentioning that you have a gaming PC, I simply read where you mentioned 360 and PC we're your top choice. If that is the case then yes, screw the PS2.

PS - Me and my friends have had to deal with the seperation issue as well so I understand where you're coming from

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Break- on 2006-09-20 18:08 ]</font>

Well to be honest, I never flat out mentioned I had a gaming PC, I just thought it would be a given since I said the PC version is one of my choices. Hell if I didn't have a gaming PC, there is no way I would get the PC version haha

btw, I revised my post as I have since calmed down, sorry about that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-20 18:13 ]</font>

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
On 2006-09-20 18:02, kassy wrote:

On 2006-09-20 17:46, Soundfx4 wrote:
Seriously, if the people responsible for this were in front of me right now, I couldn't tell you what I would do to them, because I'm so pissed that I don't know where my rage would take me...most likely it would take me to jail for at the very least assault.

Jesus, it's just a game.

It's also funny watching people pull theories out there a$$, as if they'd been working for Microsoft or Sega for years.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kassy on 2006-09-20 18:04 ]</font>

I know, I know, but I get so worked up over these things...I have a very bad temper.

well people make educated guesses as to why companies do things, so they aren't really pulling stuff out of their ass. Besides, the companies aren't going to tell us anything.

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 08:19 PM
On 2006-09-20 18:05, Invisible1122 wrote:
I understand your problem man. I'm not sure why there are people telling you to buy the ps2 one 0_o Anyway yeah it sucks personally I'd go with the 360 one because I prefer consoles(and my friends will be on that).(and WoW has made me sick of pc gaming) But good luck with your choice. Maybe you can convice your pc friends to buy a 360 or your 360 friends to buy PSU for the pc.(more likely)

haha, yeah I know...I mean, nothing against the PS2, and in fact I have one, but it just doesn't compare performance wise.

thanks, I know I will need it, as I've got an even tougher choice in front of me now. Before it was just, "which platform do I want to experience PSU on? ". And now it's, "which friends am I going to want to play with more?" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Kers
Sep 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
On 2006-09-20 18:11, Soundfx4 wrote:
oh crap, in all my ranting and raving I forgot to ask you...what is PSO-X? I never heard of that?

One more question, if I get both versions, would I be able to build my character with one, and then continue with that character with the other platform? I'm assuming the answer to this is no, but I thought I might as well ask.

I haven't been working for Microsoft or Sega for years but, my guess is that since the Xbox 360 servers are seprate from the PC/PS2, the accounts are also separate. So, no. But I believe you should be able to access PC chars from PS2 and vies versa.

PSOX is the abbreviation for the PSO Xbox version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-09-20 18:25 ]</font>

Soundfx4
Sep 20, 2006, 10:57 PM
On 2006-09-20 18:20, Kers wrote:

On 2006-09-20 18:11, Soundfx4 wrote:

I haven't been working for Microsoft or Sega for years but, my guess is that since the Xbox 360 servers are seprate from the PC/PS2, the accounts are also separate. So, no. But I believe you should be able to access PC chars from PS2 and vies versa.

PSOX is the abbreviation for the PSO Xbox version.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kers on 2006-09-20 18:25 ]</font>

Ok, I didn't think so.

ooooh, I didn't realize that...so wait, if PSOX was a failure, then wouldn't PSU for 360 most likely follow in it's failure footsteps?

Natrokos
Sep 20, 2006, 11:04 PM
I never played PSOX but I heard it was hacked easily or some bs. PSU is an entirely different game though and we shouldn't expect the same thing to happen.

Kers
Sep 20, 2006, 11:05 PM
I see no comparison, sorry.

Natrokos
Sep 20, 2006, 11:09 PM
I don't really care about seperation. I was mad at first but I got over it after about 15-20minutes.

Eclypse
Sep 20, 2006, 11:15 PM
On 2006-09-20 01:44, kassy wrote:
No one here works for Sega, Sonic Team or Microsoft, so no here has an answer, if anyone gives you a reason it's purely a guess.

No one knows the actual reasoning being the split, could be a technical decision, or could be business decision, we don't know.

You know this state is 100% true, but it's also obvious you have no clue about business mechanics. It has nothing to do with a technical standpoint and EVERYTHING to do with a business standpoint. Sure it's all a guess and what message board isn't guess work and speculation without hard fact?

Look at the world of games in general! Sqaure ported FFXI to the 360 after it had already milked all the money they were going to milk in terms of the PS2 and PC base, so to gain even more coin, they came to a BUSINESS agreement with MSFT to port the game to a brand new next gen system and gain even more revenue. MSFT saw the positives also because they are making plenty of money off of people buying more boxes here in the NA market and more in games sales since they also get a cut of that money.

Theirs so much business envolved that anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

Eclypse
Sep 20, 2006, 11:24 PM

And how could you be happy that they are dividing them? If they kept them together, the only problem I can see are the servers being too crowded, but dividing them creates many more complications, such as mine, and at least one other persons dilema here.

The xbox live thing is nice, but it creates complications such as this one. In these cases xbox live can go fuck its self for all I care. Hell, it can do that anyway, as I've never liked xbox live and I've always hated Microsoft...which will make many of you wander why I bought a 360. Well I guess the closest thing to an answer I can give you is that I like to buy all the consoles when they come out, that and the graphics are fricken sweet, so I had to dip in that. The one thing I'm not dippin in is xbox live, like I said, good idea, but just creates to many complications.

Btw, the companies couldn't care less because they are heartless soulless rich bastards that only care about making ridiculously large amounts of money, and they all deserve a fate much worse then death for their greed and I would be more then happy to deliver such a punishment.

You know, I really do feel for your situation but I have more love for this game not being turned into PSODC, GC, or PSOX again so I am more for segregation of the systems this time around if it means less hacks and a more stable maturity level with decent gamers.

I know that people can be asses regardless of system(make a note that America gamers in my opinion are at least 90% of the assholes in the online gaming world), but in my experience with Xbox Live I have found that people are less assholelike and pretty cool when compared to the people I have had to experience in other PC games, etc.

It's really funny to see someone say they think Xbox Live sucks, or it can go to hell, or whatever and yet they have never even tried it. If you have tried it and I mean for a decent amount of time, their isn't a single person that can say they don't like Live after experiencing it.

As for the I hate MSFT comment, that's funny because if you hate MSFT then why the hell are you using a WINDOWS based PC? Also if you really hated MSFT regardless of the fact that you like nice graphics and such, a person that truly hated something with not give money to the company they hate regardless of the pluses to there new system. I hate Sony for many reasons, and most of them have to do with issues not dealing with the PlayStation, but just there Home Theater electronics, and I will not buy anything Sony...........PERIOD. That is what hate is, so I doubt you hate MSFT and if you do, then you're being a hypocrit with you really think about it.

Eclypse
Sep 21, 2006, 04:36 AM
On 2006-09-20 21:04, Natrokos wrote:
I never played PSOX but I heard it was hacked easily or some bs. PSU is an entirely different game though and we shouldn't expect the same thing to happen.

PSOX wasn't hacked easily. The Gamecube version was 1000 times worse than the Xbox version. Of the last two versions of PSO, the Gamecube was far worse than the Xbox on all levels. The only issue that the Xbox had was people with modchips(a small minority) and people that used action replay(another small minority despite the ease of getting an action replay).

PSOX wasn't a failure because there were at least 2 ships at all times that had between 400-600 people on them. PSOX had next to ZERO advertising and it was announced at the last possible minute after it was said for a long time that it wouldn't come out on the Xbox, eerily similar to the way PSUX has been handled. The last version to get annouced and the last version to get any details regarding online announced.

I had much more fun on the Xbox version of PSO than I did on the Gamecube version, and I played the GC version from launch until the Xbox version was released.

Earthsunderer
Sep 21, 2006, 05:44 AM
"Who is responsible for the 360 server separation?"

It was me. I told SEGA to separate the X-Box 360 server from the other. I'm the reincarnation of Pol Pot, Stalin and Hitler, and I have come to do evil. My first act was to kick all the PSU lovers in the ass.

Come and get me!

TwilightSea
Sep 21, 2006, 07:35 AM
Seperation can be a good thing for the things stated above. But for me the seperation has no effect one me since most likely none of my offline friends will be getting PSU. I may just end up playing PSO on my GC to psych myself up. I'd play the Xbox ver if it was BC with the 360. >.>

Soundfx4
Sep 21, 2006, 11:06 PM
On 2006-09-20 21:24, Eclypse wrote:

You know, I really do feel for your situation but I have more love for this game not being turned into PSODC, GC, or PSOX again so I am more for segregation of the systems this time around if it means less hacks and a more stable maturity level with decent gamers.

I know that people can be asses regardless of system(make a note that America gamers in my opinion are at least 90% of the assholes in the online gaming world), but in my experience with Xbox Live I have found that people are less assholelike and pretty cool when compared to the people I have had to experience in other PC games, etc.

It's really funny to see someone say they think Xbox Live sucks, or it can go to hell, or whatever and yet they have never even tried it. If you have tried it and I mean for a decent amount of time, their isn't a single person that can say they don't like Live after experiencing it.

As for the I hate MSFT comment, that's funny because if you hate MSFT then why the hell are you using a WINDOWS based PC? Also if you really hated MSFT regardless of the fact that you like nice graphics and such, a person that truly hated something with not give money to the company they hate regardless of the pluses to there new system. I hate Sony for many reasons, and most of them have to do with issues not dealing with the PlayStation, but just there Home Theater electronics, and I will not buy anything Sony...........PERIOD. That is what hate is, so I doubt you hate MSFT and if you do, then you're being a hypocrit with you really think about it.

You know what I find funny? When people like you make an assumtion such as that. Why don't you ask next time instead of assuming? For your informatin, I did try xbox live, and saw nothing special about it. I hate it, I don't like it, and I wish it would die. In fact, if it were a small animal, I would kill it.

Why am I using windows!? Why in the hell do you think I'm using windows!? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most software and pretty much all games are made for windows!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-21 21:10 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-21 21:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soundfx4 on 2006-09-21 21:13 ]</font>

Soundfx4
Sep 21, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-09-21 03:44, Earthsunderer wrote:

It was me. I told SEGA to separate the X-Box 360 server from the other. I'm the reincarnation of Pol Pot, Stalin and Hitler, and I have come to do evil. My first act was to kick all the PSU lovers in the ass.

Come and get me!

naw, I'd rather not. Thanks for the taunt though.

Natrokos
Sep 21, 2006, 11:31 PM

Come and get me!

George? Is that you?

Valkayree
Sep 23, 2006, 04:54 PM

Whoever made this decision has got my attention, and I'm unbelievably #@$$ed off at them. This is going to screw up everything! Of course I'm not getting it for the PS2, but I did have to choose between the 360 version and the PC version and I was leaning for the 360 because of the voice chat! Also because the original PSO was on DC, and I thought it would be nice to go back to the console with PS. But they just had to #$@& it all up, didn't they? Some of my friends don't have a 360 and others do, and this is going to #$&@ up everything! Now I can't play PSU with them all!! I am seriously @#$$ed here...you wouldn't believe how mad I am about this...but anyway..

That turned into more of a rant then I initially intended, but still, does anyone have any information about this? I'd like to know who to be mad at, it won't do any good, but at least I won't be pointing blame at the wrong person.

Imo, the server situation is better off by having the 360 seperate for the following reasons (some speculations, pardon those):

A. Smaller community = less lag and server issues
B. Better streamlined updates
C. Community-wide voice chat, everyone can hear you, not just a small portion of the would-be large and laggy population if the servers combined.
D. Menu based commands instead of keyboard commands, allowing more time with your hands on the controller instead of on a keyboard.
E. Most likely since all users will be on the same type of platform, the online portion in general should run much smoother (less code translation between platforms).
F. Stronger defense against hackers and 3rd party software.
G. More even player base with less people having unfair advantages due to platform. (you know in FFXI on the PC damn near everyone has Windower, say what you want, it is cheating and an unfair advantage)

The only disadvantage is that some people cannot play with their friends. This is unfortunate, yet the positives do outweigh the negatives by a sizeable margin, and hey, if they can afford a high end PC, I'm sure if they liked you enough they could buy a 360 and at the very least they would get free long distance voice communication out of the deal, plus they have a camera now so that's not too bad either. If not, well sometimes friends have to make sacrifices...

Eclypse
Sep 24, 2006, 12:11 AM
You know what I find funny? When people like you make an assumtion such as that. Why don't you ask next time instead of assuming? For your informatin, I did try xbox live, and saw nothing special about it. I hate it, I don't like it, and I wish it would die. In fact, if it were a small animal, I would kill it.

Why am I using windows!? Why in the hell do you think I'm using windows!? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most software and pretty much all games are made for windows!

So tell me. How long did you try Xbox Live before you all of a sudden hated it? I guarantee you had it for no longer than a month or so before so called hated it and you probably didn't even play that many good games on it, or am I wrong.

As for the windows comment, that's a poor return because if you hated Microsoft so much then it wouldn't matter than most games are for a Windows OS. If you truly hated MSFT as you claim to hate them, you wouldn't A used Internet Explorer like I know you are, and B you would play games that are on Macs and stick to consoles, so obviously you don't hate them as much as you think if you can stomach it enough to play video games.

AnamanaAU
Sep 24, 2006, 12:16 AM
If FFXI is linked, why can't PSU be linked?

Kers
Sep 24, 2006, 12:18 AM
I think it was a decision.

AnamanaAU
Sep 24, 2006, 12:23 AM
It's kind of sad to see the ammount of segregation, but I guess it will help with lag & population. The two japanese servers are a seperation within a country. People should be thankful that the 360 and PC/PS2 servers are linked between PAL/NTSC (-JP) regions.

Eclypse
Sep 24, 2006, 12:25 AM
It's not a matter of if one was link why can't the other be linked. It's a matter of raw business mechanics the same way that PSOGC wasn't linked to PSOX and PSUX will not be linked to the others.

Xbox Live in itself is a seperate entity, and FFXI being brought over to the Xbox was a move made to gain some sells of the system since there were no RPGs on the Xbox aside from Oblivion which in my opinion is boring as all hell and only a certain crowd can get into.

MSFT and ST probably couldn't come to a common ground the same way they didn't for the other games and hence why we are at the same position with this new game.

Inspektahdek
Sep 24, 2006, 12:25 AM
wahhhh

Ryogen
Sep 24, 2006, 04:16 AM
Microsoft manage their own servers for voice chat therefore we are seperated. Don't worry man. We won't have to deal with PC hackers, or PS2 fanboys (you know the kind, that argue, brag and are iggnorant) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AnamanaAU
Sep 24, 2006, 04:22 AM
On 2006-09-24 02:16, Ryogen wrote:
Microsoft manage their own servers for voice chat therefore we are seperated. Don't worry man. We won't have to deal with PC hackers, or PS2 fanboys (you know the kind, that argue, brag and are iggnorant) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Every system is going to have it's fanboys and hackers. Deal with it.

Flamingo99
Sep 24, 2006, 11:19 AM

I have never been played with people and had an argument over what system is better. Its the same exact damn game no matter how pretty it looks.

And by the way, you just made yourself look like an idiot. Saying that PC players are hackers and PS2 players are fanboys is an ignorant statement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-09-24 09:20 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Sep 24, 2006, 11:31 AM
On 2006-09-24 09:28, ShinMaruku wrote:

Come and get me!

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7885/tgs20061086jf0.jpg
Have at you cur! XD

phunk
Sep 24, 2006, 11:33 AM
On 2006-09-24 09:19, Flamingo99 wrote:

I have never been played with people and had an argument over what system is better. Its the same exact damn game no matter how pretty it looks.

And by the way, you just made yourself look like an idiot. Saying that PC players are hackers and PS2 players are fanboys is an ignorant statement.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-09-24 09:20 ]</font>

Ye,

Hs is making a bad name for X360 players. =

----------------------

I don't mind the seperation though, its just something thats happening and we can't do anything about it.

Just look at all the benefits we'll be getting from it and stop focusing on the negative or go play another game.

Eclypse
Sep 24, 2006, 11:42 AM
All of you need to get over and stop acting so immature about it. There is nothing ignorant about his comment, you lot just seem to over analyze every single word that people say in these posts.

He is not making 360 players look bad because he doesn't represent you or anyone else. This is a mesage board, it's his opinion so leave it at that and people really need to stop making it more than it really is.

Saner
Sep 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
Xbox360 could be regarded as 'World 2' since they most likely did it mainly to balance the population and traffic of players for PSU.

they better supply enough Universes/servers though just in case, otherwise it will be like the Japan launch all over again. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif