PDA

View Full Version : PC vs PS2 : Best controls?

matduke
Sep 20, 2006, 11:43 PM
I'm playing the Japanese version of PSU on PS2 and so far I find the controls slighty weird. They're alright, yes, but maybe I just didn't figure the auto-aiming system completely... Cameras angles are a bit hard to control sometimes too.

Is the PC version controls much different? I could buy any or both, just want to make a good choice to enjoy the game fully.

mattdude
Sep 21, 2006, 12:01 AM
I just bought a Logitech controller for PSU, it looks like it will work good for it, havent tried it yet tho....(getting PSU in america PC version!!!!)

Tycho
Sep 21, 2006, 12:12 AM
For PC you could use gamepads and swap the controls around, so the answer should be pretty obvious. The standard keyboard controls suck, but you're able to change that.

Losodo1976
Sep 21, 2006, 12:18 AM
I used a Logitech gamepad on PSOBB for PC and it was tight. I already know it's gonna be even better with PSU... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Hmm, can you not adjust/remap the controls on the PS2 version?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Losodo1976 on 2006-09-20 22:21 ]</font>

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 21, 2006, 12:21 AM
Auto-aiming system? What's this about an auto-aiming system? I thought they got rid of that, but I haven't played yet so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, I'd imagine the PC controls being better just because you can use any USB controller (or USB adaptor for console controllers) and remap the keys any way you want. But I don't know how well the analog works if you try to use, say, JoytoKey. Or os JtK is even necessary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-09-20 22:24 ]</font>

matduke
Sep 21, 2006, 12:41 AM
Actually there's no real auto-aim. I like to have in RPGs a system that allows me to auto-aim mob and to switch to other targets left and right with controls.

In PSU, I aim in front of me, but I cannot turn around (just strife left and right) and honestly it's quite uncomfortable because it often doesn't target what I want to target. That's with guns of course.

Are everyone comfortable with PSU controls? Maybe I just use them wrong but it is really not that easy for me and I'm overall quite experienced with all types of games. I liked PSO's controls...

Jife_Jifremok
Sep 21, 2006, 01:03 AM
Well from what I've read and seen in videos, there is no auto-aim at all for guns (full manual control!). For melee weapons, you hold the 'strafe' button to Z-target your enemy and circlestrafe all you want while the camera keeps track of the enemy's position for you (optional lock-on targeting). I'm not sure how targeting works for Forces though, and I don't feel like watching the Force video. wouldn't be surprised if that had PSO-style targeting)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, with guns you are able to go into a first-person view from which you manually aim at the enemy you wish to target. You cannot move while doing this, but that's the price you pay for going for a well-aimed shot.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jife_Jifremok on 2006-09-20 23:05 ]</font>

DurakkenX
Sep 21, 2006, 02:03 AM
i feel sorry for 360 owners if the default PC gamepad settings are used for default 360 settings, cuz on the 360 controller there were lots of problems i was having on a game that was supposed to recognize the damn thing and support it

A2K
Sep 21, 2006, 02:09 AM
On 2006-09-21 00:03, DurakkenX wrote:
i feel sorry for 360 owners if the default PC gamepad settings are used for default 360 settings, cuz on the 360 controller there were lots of problems i was having on a game that was supposed to recognize the damn thing and support it

Unlike PCs, Xbox 360s are--bear with me because this is a shocker--actually designed to work with controllers. Specifically, 360 controllers, if you're willing to believe that.

I imagine they'll more or less mirror the PS2 key settings, perhaps tweaking/switching around a few things to better suit it.

Ryoten
Sep 21, 2006, 12:49 PM
I'm going to buy a PS2 keyboard so I can play on the PS2 with the feel of being on the PC.

RLoge21
Sep 21, 2006, 04:27 PM
Xbox 360 Controller > Logitech..... I went through about 3-4 Logitechs last year >_> they broke after about 2 months each. Never again. lol

ShadowNeo
Sep 21, 2006, 05:50 PM
I'm playing the PC ver. with a 360 controller and its perfect, wouldn't want to use anything else.