PDA

View Full Version : PSU install files (Not warez) - Official Sega Site.

Lyrise
Sep 21, 2006, 10:48 AM
Mainly for for those who have trouble installing from DVD, or don't have a DVD drive, but also for those who just want the files for personal reference.

It can now be downloaded here. (http://sega-pc.com/psu/dvd/)

Now before anyone screams out "WAREZ!", it's sega-pc that put up the files, and there's one condition that has to be met before you can download the files- you MUST have the game key, since the first 2 and the last 2 strings of the key are used for your login and password to their ftp.

IMO it's things like these that show that Sega does try to cater to everyone's problems (since this one was a particularly big issue due to Japan being less PC savvy than other places of the world).

Edit: Before anyone even thinks about grabbing the key off their friends, consider this: you gotta register the key before you can play the game. IF you even think about playing offline while the real owner of the key is online, one of you will have problems, and there's a good chance that the account of the real owner gets redflagged. (re: Really good way to make enemies)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-09-21 08:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-09-21 09:23 ]</font>

Kou-Diacyper
Sep 21, 2006, 11:07 AM
Nice find, this will surely help a few people out.

Emrald
Sep 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
I don't know...I think Sega is putting themselves up to being pirated....

-Shimarisu-
Sep 21, 2006, 04:16 PM
Wow, so what you're basically saying is, this is carte blanche for anyone with the PS2 version to download the game for their PC?

That's fairly amazing, and generous of sega, and also a bit unfair to those who bought the PC version, haha.

DarK-SuN
Sep 21, 2006, 04:50 PM
This is definitely interesting.
I wonder if they'll do the same for the US version; if so, I'll get the PS2 version instead and download the PC version afterwards, just because.

Blueblur
Sep 21, 2006, 05:17 PM
Those can't be the complete files. Someone look into this, please.

VioletSkye
Sep 21, 2006, 05:18 PM
They are the complete files.

Jozon
Sep 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
honestly, it's probably hax, or someone link to the PSU info that says they put it up, or a link to it from the official messageboards or site

kassy
Sep 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
It's not so PS2 owners can download the PC version, lol.

It's for people who bought the PC version and haven't been able to install the game from their dvd.

Tystys
Sep 21, 2006, 05:20 PM
On 2006-09-21 15:17, Blueblur wrote:
Those can't be the complete files. Someone look into this, please.

How so? Alot of companies are doing this as well to help out those who have problems with installing on DVD. I personally think this is a great idea, and hope it comes over to the US version.

VioletSkye
Sep 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I would imagine that the character sets in the key you need to enter to download the game differ (as in a different algorithm) between the PC and PS2 versions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-09-21 15:24 ]</font>

Losodo1976
Sep 21, 2006, 05:28 PM
DVD drives aren't that expensive anymore at all. It's still nice of them to do this for people without them, though.

Lyrise
Sep 21, 2006, 05:32 PM
Actually, PS2 players can download and run this version. I have friends in Japan that have done so. Reason: The PC version of the game was sold out for some time, and not everyone wants to keep playing the PS2 version. Doesn't matter to Sega though, because either way, you need a key, and they've already gotten your money if you've already got a key.

Wow, so what you're basically saying is, this is carte blanche for anyone with the PS2 version to download the game for their PC?

That's fairly amazing, and generous of sega, and also a bit unfair to those who bought the PC version, haha.

In a sense, it isn't. It's actually smart pre-planning. A year or 2 down the road, the PS2 is considered obsolete, so where does that leave the PS2 PSU owners? This actually ensures that everyone doesn't feel ripped off.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-09-21 15:36 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Sep 21, 2006, 05:38 PM
Well that's definitely cool http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

McLaughlin
Sep 21, 2006, 05:38 PM
The key required for the PS2 is to register the PS2 game. The key for the PC is to register the PC game. I find it highly improbable that the two could work interchangably.

And yeah, it does matter to Sega. If you want to play the PC game, you need to buy the PC game. They're losing money if the keys work on the wrong platform.

And everyone has a friend that's done something. Until I see solid proof, I'm calling your bluff.

watashiwa
Sep 21, 2006, 06:05 PM
On 2006-09-21 15:38, Zeta wrote:
And everyone has a friend that's done something. Until I see solid proof, I'm calling your bluff.

Why would you bother to call the bluff when Sega announced awhile ago that the PS2/PC versions could play using the same SegaLINK ID/PW? This is very old news. Even before they've released these files, it was already known that you could use the same account on both versions of the game.

Blueblur
Sep 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
I don't want to buy the US PC version now if I could just get it off the internet for free and use a PS2 gamekey. I hope that the keys are specific for each platform.

Banert
Sep 21, 2006, 08:29 PM
Wooo! Thanks for finding that Lyrise. You just saved me 20 bucks, and now I can put off getting a dvd drive until a game I want that doesn't have the client available for download comes out. Thank you.

Miyoko
Sep 21, 2006, 09:47 PM
I really hope this works for the North American release, too... My current DVD-Drive is busted, and I'm a broken university student as is x. x Saving an extra hundred bucks or so would be nice...

watashiwa
Sep 21, 2006, 10:08 PM
$31.99 for a new DVD drive!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129001

C'mon, all you gotta do is starve for maybe a week!!

the_importer_
Sep 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
Pretty much complete minus the autorun file, icon and DirectX folder.

Boy it's a good thing that the policy of Japanese stores aren't like EB Games were the games on the shelves are opened (so that the disk can be removed and stored) and anyone could just look at the manual and write down the code in the back.

peenk
Sep 21, 2006, 11:05 PM
that is if the 'code' is on the back side.... and NOT in the manual ...
oh wait...

kyori
Sep 22, 2006, 01:55 AM
It works perfectly fine. I got a spare copy of PSU For PS2 and i registered it and let my two friends share it on PC. (I play PC myself) I'm pretty positive theres nothing in the keys that signifiy whether it's ps2 or PC, and that its just shared. So there's your solid proof right there. If you want pictures of my copies of PSU, I can provide that too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

physic
Sep 22, 2006, 02:07 AM
basically like FFXI and other stuff the goal isnt to keep people from playing at their friends house or using ps2 or pc, its to make you pay to play.
Does it kind of suck that ps2 people can play on either and pc cant? maybe but then again if you want to do both you can now do this. even if they couldnt you would have been able to do it by borrowing a freinds copy anyhow

Tystys
Sep 22, 2006, 05:31 AM
On 2006-09-21 15:38, Zeta wrote:
The key required for the PS2 is to register the PS2 game. The key for the PC is to register the PC game. I find it highly improbable that the two could work interchangably.

And yeah, it does matter to Sega. If you want to play the PC game, you need to buy the PC game. They're losing money if the keys work on the wrong platform.

Apparently, they've confirmed that yes, you can change around your accounts. You can use your account for the PC version on the PS2 version, mainly because they are linked to the same server...but if you said something completly different, sorry XD

Pirat
Sep 22, 2006, 06:10 AM
why in the world doesnt sega make an online pay option?
pay online, create account, get key, download files, install game, login and play.

this would be so awesome
and europeans like me wouldnt have to import the game from US or wait for the EU release.

Marukun
Sep 22, 2006, 12:31 PM
doesn't work with the ps2 key, but works with the pc key just fine

the_importer_
Sep 22, 2006, 02:15 PM
On 2006-09-21 20:08, watashiwa wrote:
$31.99 for a new DVD drive!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129001

C'mon, all you gotta do is starve for maybe a week!!

Yikes, computer parts are still expensive in the US. This price is in CAD:

http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/product_info.php?cPath=2060210&products_id=21814&mBqSiD=e92c10135688bce50fb255e955f4f1fd

Dirty_Filthy
Sep 22, 2006, 07:35 PM
I planned on buying a DVD Drive, as its not that expensive. But if I can do this, that's good, because spending less money is always a plus. However, I don't want to wait a month after the release for the NA files to be put up. Any chance they'll have this set up for the NA release ON the date of the NA release?

watashiwa
Sep 22, 2006, 08:37 PM
On 2006-09-22 12:15, the_importer_ wrote:
Yikes, computer parts are still expensive in the US. This price is in CAD:

http://www.microbytes.com/computer/ordinateur/product_info.php?cPath=2060210&products_id=21814&mBqSiD=e92c10135688bce50fb255e955f4f1fd

Your part is brand LG, Pioneer is a superior brand to that.

Also, your part is a DVD reading drive only. My part is a DVD reader and writer. It writes all formats, even both forms of dual layer. (+R/-R)

DrewSeleski
Sep 22, 2006, 09:06 PM
On 2006-09-22 04:10, Pirat wrote:
why in the world doesnt sega make an online pay option?
pay online, create account, get key, download files, install game, login and play.

this would be so awesome
and europeans like me wouldnt have to import the game from US or wait for the EU release.

There is a reason for this and that is that as soon as it's released they would get completely swamped with people trying to download the game all at once. They could maybe set up a online waiting line but even that might cause too many problems seeing as what happened to the jp payment site on the game's release.
But they might be able to make it work if they did a good deal of planning maybe. I don't really know much about servers and such so I can't make a call on that.