PDA

View Full Version : Difference in PS2?

xzeekzx
Sep 21, 2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry for asking this sort of stupid question, but how big of a difference will I Notice on the PS2 from the PC and 360? I know there will be one, but will it make the game unbearable in certain areas? For those of you who have played the Japanese version allready. thanks for the info guys

tyler2zelda
Sep 21, 2006, 05:58 PM
Probably slowdown times. Just a guess, but it's bound to happen eventually.

Nilot
Sep 21, 2006, 06:05 PM
framerate slows down in big parties for ps2, and people think its a lil uglier too, but whatever

Polly
Sep 21, 2006, 06:21 PM
Big ass instances of slowdown experienced:

-Party of 4 in the free and story forest Parum missions. Not a game killer, but definitely an annoyance.

-Rafon Relics, party of 4. Dreadful. PAs flying everywhere + multitude of enemies = more than frustration.

-Neudaiz/SEED version of Neudaiz forest. The point that made me just give up on the PS2 version. PAs + Special area environmental effects + every enemy on the map casting Barta = complete game failure. There were stratches of 10+ seconds where the game couldn't even detect that I was pressing the attack button.

-Weapon loading times. Weapons take their damn time loading leaving you to get pelted into oblivion if you don't just back off and wait that 1.5 - 2.0 seconds that the PS2 is loading your weapon.

I say only play the PS2 version if it's absolutely the only way you can get your PSU fix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Triela on 2006-09-21 16:22 ]</font>

Valius
Sep 21, 2006, 06:27 PM
I've read comments ranging from it's always slow to it's never slow. Though most people say it pops up in full party and/or when everyone pops off a lot of PAs or techs.

watashiwa
Sep 21, 2006, 06:28 PM
Someone should just take a video already. I can't be bothered to play my illegitimate copy of it, though..

CpwninOBrien
Sep 21, 2006, 06:29 PM
wow no PS2 love http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

not to be a fanboy butt ever play Killzone??? if a console can run that it can prolly run PSU no prob

Animosity
Sep 21, 2006, 06:33 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:29, CpwninOBrien wrote:
wow no PS2 love http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

not to be a fanboy butt ever play Killzone??? if a console can run that it can prolly run PSU no prob

1st. killzone sucks. 2nd ive played rpgs on the ps2 that are dreadfully laggy aka monster hunter(still a fun game though.)

Valius
Sep 21, 2006, 06:39 PM
I always laugh when people complain about minor slowdown. You want to talk slow down, play Advent Rising on the Xbox, then talk to me about slowdown http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. The sad thing is it was a pretty decent game outside of the horrible slowdown.

Polly
Sep 21, 2006, 06:41 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:39, Valius wrote:
I always laugh when people complain about minor slowdown.

And I always laugh when people call PSU's slowdown on PS2 "minor"

Valius
Sep 21, 2006, 06:45 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:41, Triela wrote:

On 2006-09-21 16:39, Valius wrote:
I always laugh when people complain about minor slowdown.

And I always laugh when people call PSU's slowdown on PS2 "minor"

I've yet to play PSU and never asserted that I had. The comment "minor" is used as relative to the topic game (Advent Rising), so chill.

Weak
Sep 21, 2006, 06:45 PM
I honestly have nothing against the PS2. If it's the only system you've got, then use it.

It's just a matter of what works for you. I have a great PC, and it'd just be easier to play PSU on it. Some people have 360s or PS2s because those are convenient for them.

As for the slowdown, such things should be expected. A lot of games on the PS2 have slowdown, but it doesn't hinder the play experience at all. Things just don't move as smoothly as they could.

Proto-Reqium
Sep 21, 2006, 06:46 PM
Monster Hunter is really not that laggy, runs pretty smooth to tell the truth. Ps2 handles FFXI just fine as well. Only real slow down I got on that was in Lower Jueno, Besieged, and dienamis, but then again who doesn't have lag / slow down there. People like to blow things out of proportion as well...

watashiwa
Sep 21, 2006, 06:47 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:46, Proto-Reqium wrote:
Monster Hunter is really not that laggy, runs pretty smooth to tell the truth.

Seconded!

Like I said in a previous thread on PS2 and lag.. Monster Hunter was one of the best online experiences I've had!

I thought it did everything pretty well.. it could have just used more content. =D

Weak
Sep 21, 2006, 06:50 PM
There were some minor lag problems in Monster Hunter, at times, where you'd swing and someone considerably far away would stumble. And dragons charging at you, then appearing at the other side of the area.

But those kinds of things only happened when the servers were really full.

watashiwa
Sep 21, 2006, 06:52 PM
Those things happened on PSO... 24/7... because PSO's battles were completely client sided minus the boss fights.. and in boss fights, when you lagged, the boss would teleport around too.. (Sometimes even freeze.. I'm sure some of you are familiar with Dark Falz' last form jumping in the air and just staying there.. floating..)

Monster Hunter followed the same client/server structure as PSO.. only syncing the Wyverns.. regular enemies were never synchronized..

I can't really call that "lag" or a problem, it's just how PSO and Monster Hunter were designed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-21 16:52 ]</font>

Fleece
Sep 21, 2006, 06:57 PM
Hmm ive played the PS2 version and got past the Neudaiz forest SEED thing and the lag was DEFINATELY minor, it just lagged as the monsters appeared and all my part were definately ABOVE the monsters level and the monster was still there after the half a second slowdown i incurred WHEN it happened (it didnt happen often) personnally Triela is SEVERELY over Exaggerating the slowdon on the PS2 , PERSONALLY it you will think WTF when it happend but youllsoon get used to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Proto-Reqium
Ineed, Good well said wata. Now adays there is a avg, og 600-800 people on Monster Hunter all together. That is true though... wyverns like rathlos, rathian, would often be there "skip charges" and skip flying". Nothing a flash bomb wouldnt fix http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif.

Valius
On 2006-09-21 16:52, watashiwa wrote:
Those things happened on PSO... 24/7... because PSO's battles were completely client sided minus the boss fights.. and in boss fights, when you lagged, the boss would teleport around too.. (Sometimes even freeze.. I'm sure some of you are familiar with Dark Falz' last form jumping in the air and just staying there.. floating..)

Monster Hunter followed the same client/server structure as PSO.. only syncing the Wyverns.. regular enemies were never synchronized..

I can't really call that "lag" or a problem, it's just how PSO and Monster Hunter were designed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watashiwa on 2006-09-21 16:52 ]</font>

It was so funny in Monster Hunter when minor enemies seemed to drop dead randomly, because somebody else nailed it. Took me forever to figure what was going on till someone explained it to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

CpwninOBrien
Sep 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:57, Fleece wrote:
Hmm ive played the PS2 version and got past the Neudaiz forest SEED thing and the lag was DEFINATELY minor, it just lagged as the monsters appeared and all my part were definately ABOVE the monsters level and the monster was still there after the half a second slowdown i incurred WHEN it happened (it didnt happen often) personnally Triela is SEVERELY over Exaggerating the slowdon on the PS2 , PERSONALLY it you will think WTF when it happend but youllsoon get used to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

i dunno im really glad my mom got a new gateway that i can play pc ver on, just incase

Animosity
Sep 21, 2006, 07:01 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:57, Valius wrote:

On 2006-09-21 16:52, watashiwa wrote:

It was so funny in Monster Hunter when minor enemies seemed to drop dead randomly, because somebody else nailed it. Took me forever to figure what was going on till someone explained it to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

some new guy asked me how i was teleporting! lmao.

dude if thats not lag i dont know wat is.

Proto-Reqium
Sep 21, 2006, 07:05 PM
The weird, semi zig-zag sprinting that everyone on your screen does, then it magicaly stops once you engage Kut-ku or any other random mob.

Animosity
Sep 21, 2006, 07:07 PM
damn alot of people here have played monster hunter.

im sure youll agree that the gameplay was amazing but the game just didnt have a sufficient amount of content

CpwninOBrien
Sep 21, 2006, 07:11 PM
actualy, slowdown might be kinda kewl for b-room brakes and getting foodsa

A2K
Sep 21, 2006, 07:12 PM
On 2006-09-21 16:21, Triela wrote:
Big ass instances of slowdown experienced:

-Party of 4 in the free and story forest Parum missions. Not a game killer, but definitely an annoyance.

-Rafon Relics, party of 4. Dreadful. PAs flying everywhere + multitude of enemies = more than frustration.

-Neudaiz/SEED version of Neudaiz forest. The point that made me just give up on the PS2 version. PAs + Special area environmental effects + every enemy on the map casting Barta = complete game failure. There were stratches of 10+ seconds where the game couldn't even detect that I was pressing the attack button.

-Weapon loading times. Weapons take their damn time loading leaving you to get pelted into oblivion if you don't just back off and wait that 1.5 - 2.0 seconds that the PS2 is loading your weapon.

I say only play the PS2 version if it's absolutely the only way you can get your PSU fix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Triela on 2006-09-21 16:22 ]</font>

Out of curiousity, what model PS2 are you running the game on? The older model or the newer slim one?

Proto-Reqium
I still play it, think I'm going to play it tonight... Lao event sounds like fun atm.

Valius
It was a little lacking in variety but I just enjoyed the perverbial "thrill of the hunt" so it didn't bug me so much. I wish they'd release Dos in NA, capcom can be so cruel http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif.

Polly
Sep 21, 2006, 07:14 PM
SCPH-70012

Flamingo99
Sep 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
which one model, old or new, would have more slowdown (if that even contributes to slowdown)?
I'm guessing the older one.

darthplagis
Sep 21, 2006, 08:19 PM
hehe flamingo i love yr sig!! hehe

the PS2 runs PSU fine but yes there is a bit of slowdown that is due to the hardware not being able to cope with the game (as mentioned wepon changes can take like 5 seconds you can attack but no wepons in hand, full partys can slow down the game quite a bit if a lot is happening and general stuff like that) but that being said its not TOTALLY unplayable (ok im only just @ moatoob but hey) i am however waiting for the 360 version before i go nuts with it tho.

xzeekzx
Sep 21, 2006, 09:56 PM
Isn't the 360 version coming out on the 24th as well?

I guess my question is:
I was thinking about getting the XBOX 360, primarily for this game. but if i have the ps2 (the version before the slim version btw..) then should i just stick with that, and then maybe use PC if i get a better one? I use a mac right now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xzeekzx on 2006-09-21 20:18 ]</font>

MAGNUShunter
Sep 21, 2006, 10:55 PM
I heard that there was recently a large drop amount of players in the jap version.
Wonder if it is cause most are on ps2 and the slowdown is just to annoying to them. And if that is true, does this mean that psu has been a let down to jap players (i would guess that most of em are on ps2)

btw. Whoever posted that list (top ten games in japan) last week, I think most of the tiles were ds titles.

Natrokos
Sep 21, 2006, 11:02 PM
^No offense to any Japanese but I don't care about 'the Japanese response.' simply because I live in NA and will be playing NA servers.....Yes I suppose you can take it as an indication that this game sucks or something like that....OR you can look at most of the english (since that's all I really understand) responses here.....which range from OMG IT CHANGED MY LIFE WHEN I FIRST PLAYED IT'S BEAUTY MADE ME DROP TO MY KNEES AND WAIL TEARS OF JOY! to meh little bit of a let down.

kassy
Sep 22, 2006, 11:42 AM
Well the PS2 version only runs at 30 FPS, 640x480 resolution, if you have a capable PC you can run it at 1280x1024 and 60 FPS. Good if added res and FPS appeals to you.