PDA

View Full Version : About PSU Char names.

anmato145
Sep 23, 2006, 12:08 AM
Since this game is server side saved... Is it possible for two people to have the same char names? I know on ffxi it wasnt possible. Pretty much only reason im rushing online to reserve my name if you cant have same name.

SolitaryEcho
Sep 23, 2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah 2 chars can have the same name.

Pengfishh
Sep 23, 2006, 12:13 AM
No reserves on names. Pity.

Animosity
Sep 23, 2006, 12:29 AM
pity? thats a good thing

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 23, 2006, 12:48 AM
Can we not have the "no it's a good thing/no it's a bad thing" talks all over again on issues like this and humans, and male weight, and the seperate servers.
Some people like the way things are done, some wont, let's just live.

Eauijhkuu
Sep 23, 2006, 12:50 AM
The first duplicate I see of Eauijhkuu on PSU, I think I'm going to have to strangle.

Because that's my name http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

anmato145
Sep 23, 2006, 12:53 AM
I remember back on GC pso when i was lv189. And someone called me a hacker cuz the other Malak they saw was like lv45 HUmar. I was FOnewm and I grinded to 200 with Rosario within the 1st month of release, rosa was 2nd and i was 4th o.O. I hate that confusion crap.

Natrokos
Sep 23, 2006, 01:19 AM
500 meseta says you see a Nei, Alys, Wren, Sephiroth, and possibly Noah your first day online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

-Crokar-
Sep 23, 2006, 01:21 AM
you may see a Musashi if i get it day one

Natrokos
Sep 23, 2006, 01:27 AM
I'll probably make an Alys clone....or possibly Wren...or Nei...in extra mode.

CellarDoor
Sep 23, 2006, 01:35 AM
Any limitations on names? Such as symbols and that kinda thing. Also how many characters can a name be?

Nekomimi
Sep 23, 2006, 01:38 AM
Why the hell can't people just use original names? Jesus.

You wouldn't have to worry about someone stealing your name if you weren't naming your character fucking 'Goku' or 'Cloud' or 'Sephiroth' or any other goddamn name from a well-known game or anime.

If you're not one of the people who does that, then ignore this rant. If you ARE one of those people, please to light yourself on fire.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nekomimi on 2006-09-22 23:40 ]</font>

Eauijhkuu
Sep 23, 2006, 01:38 AM
Names are important to me. Especially in online games.

Just in case you do something important and big. You can always be like "Hi. My name's Eauijhkuu. And you just got owned."

It has a great ring to it. (It's even better when people can't pronounce it)

-Crokar-
Sep 23, 2006, 01:41 AM
i cant pronounce it......my first guys name will be crokar. but if i find the right clothes ill make musashi

Pengfishh
Sep 23, 2006, 01:47 AM
"You wouldn't have to worry about someone stealing your name if you weren't naming your character fucking 'Goku' or 'Cloud' or 'Sephiroth' or any other goddamn name from a well-known game or anime. "

It's nice to think folks can be original, but it's really less common than you'd think. Best you can hope for is some obscure unoriginality.

Sev
Sep 23, 2006, 01:49 AM
I use the character name Sev, it gets taken more often then I'd think. I apologize for not being origional enough.

On a more serious note... I think the limit on characters in a name are 24. Now... You can't take my word for this, because I didn't finalize the name at 24 characters because it was basically just the name and a bunch of spaces afterward... But it went up to 24 in Roman characters so I just assume that's about as far as it'll go.

Sev Voz x2
Chai Rai

It shoud also be noted that I love the fact that this game allows spaces in names... On games where you can't enter spaces, you end up having to either give up on a name, or cram your last name together with your first which is... Annoying in my opinion. I'm glad I can share names between characters, otherwise I'd be in a little bit of a pinch.

Natrokos
Sep 23, 2006, 01:49 AM
If someone uses a clone name it's none of my business. Sure it's unoriginal and overdone but I won't freak out everytime I see one.....I won't ever bring a clone online but I won't butcher someone who does no matter what I think about his/her originality. Like I said I will probably play a clone in extra mode...Since i'm by myself and extra modes just for kicks anyway.

Names are important to me too...That's why I think online ones should be original....But if they aren't..../shrug. And just for kicks is it pronounced Ahj-jak-oo....Because I have no clue.

Eauijhkuu
Sep 23, 2006, 01:50 AM
I remember having a "CloudSephirothMakoChildVII" in my party or what not in FFXI, hitting crabs for 1 DMG - some lame Hume in a predominantly Galka party.

We all told him to delete his character, cuz he was giving Cloud and Sephiroth a bad image http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Eauijhkuu
Sep 23, 2006, 01:53 AM
[b]

Names are important to me too...That's why I think online ones should be original....But if they aren't..../shrug. And just for kicks is it pronounced Ahj-jak-oo....Because I have no clue.

; ; I get made fun of by my LS on FFXI.
People call me Ejaculate. :/
/cry.
SO horrible.

Zarbolord
Sep 23, 2006, 01:58 AM
*hxmm... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha!*
Well, I normally tend to make names up, so the chances are that I won't have a double (unless they see my character and want to copy it, then it's their problem). The only known name I'll be using is Archemedes formy FO/RAcast, and I don't think people will use that name. So people, unless you want a copy name, make it up yourself.

Eauijhkuu
Sep 23, 2006, 02:13 AM
Archemedes isn't common, but, alas.
It's a name from another source.

While the chances aren't as high as Cloud. Sephiroth. Gilgamesh. etc.
It's still a possibility http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Alisha
Sep 23, 2006, 02:25 AM
heres a real question. whats the character limit for names? i heard that BB had a lower limit than the console versions of pso. if its 8 for PSU >.>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-09-23 00:26 ]</font>

Sev
Sep 23, 2006, 02:27 AM
On 2006-09-22 23:49, Sev wrote:
I use the character name Sev, it gets taken more often then I'd think. I apologize for not being origional enough.

On a more serious note... I think the limit on characters in a name are 24. Now... You can't take my word for this, because I didn't finalize the name at 24 characters because it was basically just the name and a bunch of spaces afterward... But it went up to 24 in Roman characters so I just assume that's about as far as it'll go.

Sev Voz x2
Chai Rai

It shoud also be noted that I love the fact that this game allows spaces in names... On games where you can't enter spaces, you end up having to either give up on a name, or cram your last name together with your first which is... Annoying in my opinion. I'm glad I can share names between characters, otherwise I'd be in a little bit of a pinch.

Quoting myself. How awesome is that?

Alisha
Sep 23, 2006, 02:34 AM
i just got srved.

assuming thats true.

Sev
Sep 23, 2006, 02:38 AM
Should be true... But like I said, I got too lazy to try and confirm the name like that. My bad... But I didn't wanna have a stange name just to see how long it'd go.

After this past Thursday though, I look forward to this game now more then ever.

Ether
Sep 23, 2006, 02:41 AM
Its not 24, you can have any many characters as the name box fits, so if your have a name like WWWWWWWWW you'll fill it much faster than a bunch of I's

Tetsuro
Sep 23, 2006, 02:41 AM
Well since the origin of any name has a meaning names aren't random, so every name has already been used somewhere, some are just more common than others.

Ryogen
Sep 23, 2006, 02:43 AM
On 2006-09-22 23:21, -Crokar- wrote:
you may see a Musashi if i get it day one

You may see a Brave Fencer if I get online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif jk

Sev
Sep 23, 2006, 02:48 AM
On 2006-09-23 00:41, Ether wrote:
Its not 24, you can have any many characters as the name box fits, so if your have a name like WWWWWWWWW you'll fill it much faster than a bunch of I's

The most names will fit unless they're obscenely long and... Well... In all caps. There was alotta space in that box, at least it looked like it to me. I just counted the amount of characters I had in there, and then checked how far it would go before cutting off.

Thanks for the information though, if I get a chance I'll check it out again and see how long or short names can really be.

anmato145
Sep 23, 2006, 02:52 AM
Original names... I remember making the name Malak, even before playing the game I saw it in. It translates to King... As from what I saw from my buddies report in like the 8th grade so i decided to use it when I played PSO for the 1st time. Then I playd FFT in my downtime of PSO and noticed it was a story chars name http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Lol gotta love that.

NeoSakura
Sep 23, 2006, 04:57 AM
Hmm...yea it is kinda annoying to see the same names over and over again in like 1000 different online games. And then people dare saying that every single person would be an individual. It is hard to think of such people as individual when they carry the name Sephiroth or any of the other millions of names you see every day. I find being original quite nifty. For example...I've been playing Ragnarok Online for 4~5 years. And I very very rarely bumped into a time when a name I wanted to take for one of my many charas was already taken. That's a clear advantage of being original. And to be honest...I find it rather lame that there could be hundreds of Sephiroths in PSU. It simply reduces individualism even more. Of course people can freely decide which name to carry and they don't have to go through countless "Your name is already taken, please choose another one..." messages. Still, I find it a bit sad.

Sexy_Raine
Sep 23, 2006, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I also hate unoriginal names that come from TV shows, or movies. All my characters will have original names. The only thing I'm worried about is my screen name I'm using for my character being censored. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sexy_Raine on 2006-09-23 06:13 ]</font>

Zarbolord
Sep 23, 2006, 09:02 AM
Fell free to use the names from my FanFic if you can't find any. It's called The Mystery of the Fleeing Rappy, all names are made up apart from Jeff and Karl... and Mei Lin. So you can check if you like them I give you permission to use them.

peenk
Sep 23, 2006, 11:27 AM
On 2006-09-22 23:19, Natrokos wrote:
500 meseta says you see a Nei, Alys, Wren, Sephiroth, and possibly Noah your first day online. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

dont forget Rika!
and Rolf (sounds like misspelled rofl... rofl)
and Demi! .. a chick ranger cast named Demi? oh thats classic!

xJermariox
Sep 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
On 2006-09-23 09:27, peenk wrote:

dont forget Rika!
and Rolf (sounds like misspelled rofl... rofl)
and Demi! .. a chick ranger cast named Demi? oh thats classic!

My Cast name is Demi.. And I didnt know who the hell Demi was until a few days ago. Probably gonna give my Cast a name change in the US verison.

Spellbinder
Sep 23, 2006, 12:14 PM
Not my fault I like naming my characters after flowers -_- oh well, they're not original but you don't see them falling out of trees everywhere.

peenk
Sep 23, 2006, 12:15 PM
WHAT!! you didnt know who SHE was!?
Demi was/is one of my fav PS series chars of all time!
I had a racaseal named demi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif, might again if i feel like ranger.
At least they did away with crappy section ID. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

xJermariox
Sep 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
On 2006-09-23 10:15, peenk wrote:
WHAT!! you didnt know who SHE was!?
Demi was/is one of my fav PS series chars of all time!
I had a racaseal named demi http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif, might again if i feel like ranger.
At least they did away with crappy section ID. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

lol nope. I was surprised when i found out Demi was actually a PS char and more suprised that she was a android @_@. I havent play any of the classic Phantasy Star games. Maybe i should at least give them a try one day.

peenk
Sep 23, 2006, 12:30 PM
Oh My Ghot!
>_0
Try Phantasy Star 4. Simple to play, fun story, lots but not hard lvling to do(get lots of techniques for many chars is what I mean), some hillarious moments (Rajah!) and most fun I've ever had in a single RPG.

Nogatorr
Sep 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
On 2006-09-23 00:41, Ether wrote:

So, is that ow of W's the size of the name box? i would really like to know. If it's not the same size as the Name Box, then could you post a name (row of letters) that is?

Dai-Kitana
Sep 23, 2006, 12:40 PM
No doubt we'll see a lot of Anime/FF/etc... names, but i prefer those over "xxubermeisterIIIxx" references from other name-locked online/MMO's. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Natrokos
Sep 23, 2006, 01:18 PM
On 2006-09-23 00:52, anmato145 wrote:
Original names... I remember making the name Malak, even before playing the game I saw it in. It translates to King... As from what I saw from my buddies report in like the 8th grade so i decided to use it when I played PSO for the 1st time. Then I playd FFT in my downtime of PSO and noticed it was a story chars name http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif. Lol gotta love that.

Malak is the main bad guy in StarWars KoTOR....He's also in FF tactics as 'good' guy.

Oh and whoever hasn't tried the PS games you HAVE to play PS2 and PS4 those are necessary. Play PS1 and PS3 too but 2 and 4 you HAVE to play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Natrokos on 2006-09-23 11:22 ]</font>

Alexandrious1
Sep 23, 2006, 01:25 PM
24 characters? hmmm...

Alexandrious Dragoran is my full orginal First and Sur-Name I use on mmos and D&D. If no surname or long enough character allowance is available, I go with just Alexandrious.

Havent met anyone yet who used my own name, seen many that uses poor ripoffs of it though.

Natrokos
Sep 23, 2006, 01:35 PM
I don't use last names on mmos....I hate being able to use one on some, and not being able to on others. So I just go with first name.....I've used my character name for several years.

DavidNel
Sep 23, 2006, 01:39 PM
More people need joke names, like mine were Goober and Jesus. Jesus was a Force... so I found it funny. If you find someone with an odly ironic name, it's probably me, or someone else (for those are the only options...)

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 23, 2006, 01:55 PM
I'd like to think that my names are somewhat original. They are all taken from something else, but something obscure enough that people will not likely copy it. I plan on using the following for my characters: Qwerty, Dvorak, Cicero, and (probably, haven't decided for certain yet) Aeneas.

If they give US/EU the 2 world dealio, I'll make my less-used account's characters either with stupid joke names, or possibly named after Akkadian/Sumerian deities and kings, since they have some wicked awesome names: Ninurta, Inanna, Nergal, Ningirsu, Shamash, Bilgames (also spelt Gilgamesh), Lugalbanda, or maybe even something like Ashurnasirpal, Ashurbanipal, Tiglathpileser, etc.

anmato145
Sep 23, 2006, 04:19 PM
On 2006-09-23 11:18, Natrokos wrote:

Malak is the main bad guy in StarWars KoTOR....He's also in FF tactics as 'good' guy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Natrokos on 2006-09-23 11:22 ]</font>

Ewwww I NEVER watch star wars EVER... I really didn't get into it much... And now that I know Malak was a name from it, I dont think im gonna use that name on PSU. Only wanted it cause all my friends from v2 to EPIII knew me by it. God dangit >.<; I dont want ppl thinking im a starwars geek or something.

JunkBuddha
Sep 23, 2006, 04:45 PM

Keep in mind, both Wren and Noah are real world names. You'll have just as much chance seeing John, Frank, Steve and Dave. Sephiroth may be a clear rip-off, but even if you weren't allowed duplicate names, you'd always see, Sefiroth, XxSephirothxX, Seffiroth, and a billion others.
I plan on using the name Noah myself, for no other reason than it happens to be my real name.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JunkBuddha on 2006-09-23 14:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JunkBuddha on 2006-09-25 09:24 ]</font>

vg_geek86
Sep 23, 2006, 04:48 PM
I never saw another Garcia while playing PSO =)
But Im with something a little different this time around, Garcia just didnt....fit in with the anime theme.

Scirrocco
Sep 23, 2006, 05:50 PM
On 2006-09-23 14:19, anmato145 wrote:

On 2006-09-23 11:18, Natrokos wrote:

Ewwww I NEVER watch star wars EVER... I really didn't get into it much... And now that I know Malak was a name from it, I dont think im gonna use that name on PSU. Only wanted it cause all my friends from v2 to EPIII knew me by it. God dangit >.<; I dont want ppl thinking im a starwars geek or something.

I really wouldn't worry about that. It was a minor character from a game, i doubt half the people who played the game would even think of it. I'm planning on making a character named Ironhide, and i recently found out there was a transformer with the same name (who turned into a minivan, no less) but I don't see any reason not to still use the name.

I don't think people mind having pop culture names anyway, it's just seeing the same names over and over usually by 10 year olds who suck just makes you a bit cautiaus. Names like Sephiroth, Naruto, Kakashi, Luke Skywalker.

peenk
Sep 23, 2006, 05:58 PM
I am not a big fan of Star Wars movies, but after playing KOTOR series I actually went ahead and tried to read a few books.
KOTOR storyline is one of THE best ever made in ANY RPG. If you haven't played it just because you do not like star wars, I would recommend the game (1st and 2nd) to all.
I am big fan of fantasy fiction and that game had a lot of correlation with the kinda books I like.
Not to mention you can replay it on a different side (dark/light sides) and it will be a very different experience (especially 2nd KOTOR).