PDA

View Full Version : are swords still good? yeah i dumb topic i know lol

VanHalen
Sep 23, 2006, 04:38 PM
in PSO i was a really big fan of the giant swords i havent seen any video clip showing how they are besides one trailer i wanna know how they play and could someone describe tornado break? lol

Flamingo99
Sep 23, 2006, 04:39 PM
Give me a couple mintues and I'll find a video for you

Found some.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rk2PKv6fgAw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJ15Migplmw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KW7Abu82P8Q

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-09-23 14:42 ]</font>

VanHalen
Sep 23, 2006, 04:57 PM
On 2006-09-23 14:39, Flamingo99 wrote:
Give me a couple mintues and I'll find a video for you

Found some.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rk2PKv6fgAw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJ15Migplmw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KW7Abu82P8Q

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-09-23 14:42 ]</font>

thank you they still seem cool cant wait to play with them

Ether
Sep 23, 2006, 04:59 PM
Swords are pretty bad in my opinion, way too slow and the PA is not that great either

I've never seriously used them as a hunter, and see very few people use them as wel

Parn
Sep 23, 2006, 05:06 PM
Current PAs play a heavy role in my like/dislike of a weapon. Sword as it currently stands, is completely outclassed by just about every weapon in the game right now, due to the fact that the PA is slow to execute and has no crowd control ability whatsoever.

I may give swords another chance when the second and third PAs for sword are unlocked online, but Tornado Break just flat out sucks.

VanHalen
Sep 23, 2006, 05:19 PM
ok *takes notes* tornado break sucks *stops writing* well i dont need the PA for it all i need to do is slash slash and slash again i mean a giant sword can only look so cool it cant be expected to have fast impossible moves like sabers

albel399
Sep 23, 2006, 05:25 PM
the 2nd pa owns, you can get it in offline

Cross
Sep 23, 2006, 05:27 PM
Swords are limited to three targets maximum, like Ra Techs are, right? If it weren't for that, I wouldn't mind using one.

Flamingo99
Sep 23, 2006, 05:28 PM
Could updates in the online part of the game make swords better? For example, Guns (IIRC) can make an enemy stop attacking by doing a knock back kind of thing. Could they add this knock back effect to a sword later on if ST wanted to? I don't know if this data is read off the disk, or if the server sends it to the computer/ps2.

This was probably confusing... but hopefully someone can understand.

Ryna
Sep 23, 2006, 05:29 PM
The biggest deficiency of the Sword is its slow speed. There are very few situations where it is useful. Mobs in PSU tend to be fairly small. You are generally better off using an one-on-one weapon with a group photon art. I also find a Spear to be more useful than a Sword.

VanHalen
Sep 23, 2006, 05:30 PM
wanst it 5 in PSO sonic team you jerks you weakened my best weapon T_T i suck at the other ones lol except claws

Kaply
Sep 23, 2006, 05:35 PM
Actually parn, that's one of reasons why it's good. The lack of CC keeps the enemies closer together which helps an AoE party kill faster. Also the second part of the currently available PA is very fast and does about 200% damage. One of the problems is gathering all the enemies together when you want them though.

mechatra
Sep 23, 2006, 05:35 PM
The only one we havent seen unlocked yet I believe is shield break, which is a double upper (which juggles) then a jumping slam/slash.

I can see that being usefull for crowd control, but So far Spinning break > tornado break.

peenk
Sep 23, 2006, 05:36 PM
spear is the new sword
its very fast and deals crapload of dmg
looks chitty though imo, but my fav weapon in pso was vjaya http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif so i am kinda used to it

VanHalen
Sep 23, 2006, 05:40 PM
you see one day the sword is gonna have this really great and fast PA and none of you will have a sword (except me cause i love them) cause you'll feed them to your partner machinery lol

Saiffy
Sep 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
From what I've noticed, though it's already been pointed out, using a single target weapon, with a multi target PA is way better than a sword.

Granted, I've only used the first sword PA. So perhaps the other two can do it justice.

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 23, 2006, 06:01 PM
not my cup of tea if you wanna know, too slow for my taste like some of the other people said already.

jnblz316
Sep 23, 2006, 06:08 PM
I tend to use swords just to get my licks in for the exp. Because if the online is like PSO and everyone just starts killing monsters and I get no exp then that will at least let me get some. Then I'll whip out my double sabers and kick some serious arse ^_^

physic
Sep 23, 2006, 06:46 PM
offline sword is great with the standard store PA, of course i just abuse the PA, its range is great its greater merely the visual range of the sowrd spin, also it it hits way more than 3 enemies, i have used it to kill up to 7 enemies at once, also the combo in PA form is pretty fast. The reg attacks also have a good sweeping range, the spear equires you to get a narrow straight attack. The Pa that works as a vertical spin move offline, seems kind of corny to e, but i havent got the second. The problem with the sword online is probably that people kill stufff and stop stuff faster than you can gather it. So you want a quick weap than has a small ae range and does fast dmg in those situations. personally i prefer sword to part, of course i havent got teh ae partisan pa yet so that may be why. also i tend to practically always use my PAs and switch weaps when it runs out.

mechatra
Sep 23, 2006, 06:56 PM
Twin dagger tornado PA > Sword tornado PA

That's why the swords Basic PA is lackluster really.

Tetsuro
Sep 23, 2006, 07:01 PM
Well from what I have heard about the twin dagger tornado PA is greater than everything. If I recall, someone actually said it was broken, and did way too much damage.

Fironial
Sep 23, 2006, 07:06 PM
The third hit of Tornado Break (the first Sword PA) blasts 3 targets away from you... I used that the entire game for my AoE damage. When I played through Extra Mode Leo finally gave me his Spear PA that is AoE... and well... it is better for AoE damage than Tornado Break. It is missing the knockback but it has 5 hits and comes out at the same speed anyways.

Spears are just going to be the Mechguns of this game I think. I found myself thinking most of the bosses (including the last) were pathetic because the first Spear PA completely destroyed them before I took much damage... if any at all. <---Offline of course.

The Twin Dagger PA is pretty brutal as well, but I never compared it to the Sword and Spear one. If you do a full Twin Daggers basic combo and then do the entire spinny PA with it... you get a 17 hit combo that ends with AoE Knockback. I'd write it off as weaker than the Spear move because Spears hit way harder than Twin Daggers per hit and the large amount of Twin Dagger hits at PA-accuracy will chuck some 0s out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fironial on 2006-09-23 17:13 ]</font>

mechatra
Sep 23, 2006, 07:20 PM
I really REALLY, want Leo's AoE spear PA.

that move looks lush.

kassy
Sep 23, 2006, 08:09 PM
Swords in PSU are sloooooow, have yet to use a sword that does sufficient damage to justify it's speed.