PDA

View Full Version : Are Beasts cats or dogs?

Saner
Sep 25, 2006, 11:02 AM
ya I think debates have come up about the nature of the race and the ingredients that made them. just like there has been debates if Newmans are bioengineered from muskcats or somethin else. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Someone stated that in their normal form they are 'dogs' but in their Nano form they are 'cats/lions', which is the most interesting theory I heard so far. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Alisha
Sep 25, 2006, 11:04 AM
i think they are very much fox-like they even appear to be influenced by the anime utaware mono. the character in my sig is from that anime.

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
I think they're a melange of genetics between human and cat, but modified as to resist to harsh territory and areas/climate.

Saner
Sep 25, 2006, 11:09 AM
On 2006-09-25 09:04, Alisha wrote:
i think they are very much fox-like they even appear to be influenced by the anime utaware mono. the character in my sig is from that anime.

hmm but their nano tails are not fox-like at all. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

some of the ears do seem fox-like though. kind of.

Jozon
Sep 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
is that anime good?

ontopic:
I actually think cats, though I hope in future expansions they let you get a more wolf like nanoblast for higher levels or something, that would be awesome.

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 11:13 AM
They could manage to make other tatoos that change their appearance. You never know what they have in mind. How about going in the complete absurd (or is it?). A tatoo that transorms you into, tadaa a rappy! No I think they're just a mix of beasty looking things and that there is no real animal connection. It's kinda like taking a human, turn him into a newman, then fiddle his genes to become stronger and resistant and voila! You have a beast!

NeoSakura
Sep 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
On 2006-09-25 09:04, Alisha wrote:

That's Utawarerumono, and indeed is an awesome anime (and game, too). It's true though, that one kind of ears looks exactly like Eruru's, Aruru's etc. ones. Now all we need is a tiger to ride on and we're set! XD

Ryogen
Sep 25, 2006, 11:52 AM
Think of beast as worvines(sp) rather than cat's or dogs....but eh.

NeoSakura
Sep 25, 2006, 12:02 PM
Well...actually their looks can vary quite a bit, depending on which type of ears you chose. The Utawarerumono-like ears remind me of dogs. The next step reminds me of cats...and the type looking like a mix of animal and elf could be something like bat, even. Or dragon...well, if dragons had anything like ears as such. o.o;

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 12:04 PM
Dragons have ears, but like all other reptiles, they don't have carthilage that helps with the sound recuperation. Which is why reptiles have lower hearing capabilities (aslo vision is pretty bad) but their touch and smell senses are freaking accurate. That's when you can see, hum dee doo, I can smell you.... instead of see you.

Valkayree
Sep 25, 2006, 12:09 PM
Here's the most reasonable explanation. They are beasts. If they wanted them to be cats, they would have been called "cat". If they wanted them to be dogs, they would be "dogs". They are beasts, exactly what they wanted them to be. ^_^

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 12:11 PM
If they wanted them to be cats, they would have been called "cat".

Cats are presently called Newmen, if you haven't noticed...

NeoSakura
Sep 25, 2006, 12:11 PM
On 2006-09-25 10:04, Zarbolord wrote:
Dragons have ears, but like all other reptiles, they don't have carthilage that helps with the sound recuperation. Which is why reptiles have lower hearing capabilities (aslo vision is pretty bad) but their touch and smell senses are freaking accurate. That's when you can see, hum dee doo, I can smell you.... instead of see you.

That's why I said ears as such. Me's German, hence I'm not able to use the full range of words (which at times really bugs me). But yea, that's exactly what I tried to say. Still, that looong ears kind reminds me of dragons a bit. ^^;

Katrina
Sep 25, 2006, 12:18 PM
A few of the character models looked similar to (and reminded me of) the Nekomatas from Disgaea (catlike)

Alisha
Sep 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
http://huraiki.hp.infoseek.co.jp/utaware.jpg lol

Valkayree
Sep 25, 2006, 12:20 PM
On 2006-09-25 10:11, Zarbolord wrote:

If they wanted them to be cats, they would have been called "cat".

Cats are presently called Newmen, if you haven't noticed...

No newmen are called newmen, a "new" version of man. Cats are called "cats".

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 12:21 PM
That's why I said ears as such. Me's German, hence I'm not able to use the full range of words (which at times really bugs me). But yea, that's exactly what I tried to say. Still, that looong ears kind reminds me of dragons a bit. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

I'm French, you have no excuse!

Newmen were made from cat genes, I don't know the details, but you're bumping against a thick wall buddy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarbolord on 2006-09-25 10:22 ]</font>

NeoSakura
Sep 25, 2006, 12:21 PM
Weird...I call my cat kitty. *lol*

Eclypse
Sep 25, 2006, 12:29 PM
You can defintely tell people are ready for this game to come out with topics like this popping up.

Polly
Sep 25, 2006, 12:29 PM
We don't need a special occasion for Saner to make topics like this xP

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 12:32 PM
Snaer is making us insane with all these topics... I like that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
Btw, I forgot, are you male or female Saner? There was this topic on it some while ago.

Cause_I_Own_U
Sep 25, 2006, 12:40 PM
They are not cats, because you can also pick floppy dog ears, they are dogs

MoonSblaise
Sep 25, 2006, 01:28 PM
Pfff... they are beasts, they're neither XD but since its an option of dogs and cats i say both since beast would imply something without a propper category/name, which in turn would make you come to the assumption they are some sort of combination of animal so what the hell!

Zarbolord
Sep 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
Atleast some people understand -_-

OnnaWren
Sep 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
Both? Neither?

See also the main characters from the movie Rock & Rule... XD

As for the Numan thing, I always have been of the thought that Musk Cat + Palman = Catman, Catman + Palman = Numan...

That way, everyone's right (and the English translation, too).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-09-25 12:20 ]</font>

zofia
Sep 25, 2006, 02:31 PM
Alisha and NeoSakura: you both have awesome sig banners! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

That is all.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zofia on 2006-09-25 12:31 ]</font>

Kupi
Sep 25, 2006, 02:54 PM

Newmen were made from cat genes, I don't know the details, but you're bumping against a thick wall buddy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zarbolord on 2006-09-25 10:22 ]</font>

The thing is, the lore behind that belongs to the original Phantasy Star series. PSU takes place in a new universe, and from what I can recall, Newmans really were "just" a genetically refined (or altered, if you prefer) version of humans. Beasts are the ones who're the crossbreeds this time.

Speaking of which, I don't think you could safely tie the Beasts to just one type of animal. So long as they were fusing human DNA with that of indigenous species, why stop at just one? Take the best traits of as many as you can get without overlapping them. And, as several have pointed out, the variability of their ears suggests that there are several different varieties of Beasts, probably derived either from different animals or different combinations of animal DNA. So... the question's kind've useless.

OnnaWren
Sep 25, 2006, 03:05 PM
Perhaps there is a new locale for the series, but even PSO had definite ties to the classic series, not just random enemy/weapon homage. You just had to look for them and piece the puzzle together (granted, prior knowlegde of the series helped in this).

I wouldn't be surprised if PSU is the same way.

Besides, what with "some tens" of worldships having escaped Algo, isn't Palman habitation of other solar systems somewhat likely? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OnnaWren on 2006-09-25 13:06 ]</font>

Flamingo99
Sep 25, 2006, 03:13 PM
This is a Catdog:
http://megapoxy.net/free/cartoon/catdog.gif

A beast looks nothing like that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Beasts look more like Lions to me... I vote cats.
Heck... they even roar before using a nano blast, and they have ears that look like a little like a Lynx's (The pointy ears during character customazation).

http://kiza.kcore.de/art/photography/korkeasaari/images/lynx.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-09-25 13:26 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Flamingo99 on 2006-09-25 13:26 ]</font>

mananas
Sep 25, 2006, 03:32 PM
One of the single player NPCs looks more like a pig than a cat or a dog... I plan on making a goat-beast, complete with triangular eyes (kind of).

Saner
Sep 25, 2006, 04:24 PM
On 2006-09-25 10:29, Triela wrote:
We don't need a special occasion for Saner to make topics like this xP

lol wow I just noticed clicking on your sig causes her to make a cute sound! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Valkayree
Sep 25, 2006, 04:33 PM
On 2006-09-25 12:54, Kupi wrote:

The thing is, the lore behind that belongs to the original Phantasy Star series. PSU takes place in a new universe, and from what I can recall, Newmans really were "just" a genetically refined (or altered, if you prefer) version of humans. Beasts are the ones who're the crossbreeds this time.

Speaking of which, I don't think you could safely tie the Beasts to just one type of animal. So long as they were fusing human DNA with that of indigenous species, why stop at just one? Take the best traits of as many as you can get without overlapping them. And, as several have pointed out, the variability of their ears suggests that there are several different varieties of Beasts, probably derived either from different animals or different combinations of animal DNA. So... the question's kind've useless.

Thank you.

Pacpunk
Sep 25, 2006, 05:23 PM
neither they're beasts

NeoSakura
Sep 25, 2006, 05:35 PM
On 2006-09-25 12:31, zofia wrote:
Alisha and NeoSakura: you both have awesome sig banners! :wink:

That is all.

Oh thank you. That's the kind of stuff I do when I'm really bored. ^^;

And omigosh yea...that flash thingy is so super cute! *wants to cuddle it*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NeoSakura on 2006-09-25 15:43 ]</font>

Ryudo
Sep 25, 2006, 05:53 PM
They're Lions

Miyoko
Sep 25, 2006, 07:16 PM
Clearly, they're giraffes.

Khaly
Sep 25, 2006, 08:35 PM
Catdog... caatdogg... alone in the world was a little catdog. [something something] back in town, something something something around, catdog! Caaatdogg.... alone in the world was a little catdog.

Anyone else besides me watched that show?

I love the idea of a beast. I think thats the first character I'm going to make =P

Bluecowbank
Sep 25, 2006, 08:41 PM
Ok this is like with Inuyasha, I don't give a flying frigg if SEGA says they are a dog, there is NO SUCH THING AS A DOG WITH SLIT EYES! Maybe the males are dogs and the females are cats, the nano blasts kinda give it away that females are obviously cats, guys... maybe a wild cat, but I doubt dog.

AnamanaAU
Sep 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
They look like a mixture, the ears don't look like cat or dog ears.

CpwninOBrien
Sep 25, 2006, 08:44 PM
we should watch if tehy use litterboxes or not or if they like fire hidrants thatd answer this once and 4 all

ShinMaruku
Sep 25, 2006, 08:47 PM
Their pussy_________________cats! (How dare your dirty mind think so!)

-Shimarisu-
Sep 25, 2006, 08:48 PM
They are supposed to be a throwback to the original phantasy star games. The beasts were the natural inhabitants of the desert planet Motavia. They've just renamed their planet a bit and made them look more human because who wants to roleplay as a cross between an ewok and a jawa, with bright blue fur? Also they look more like cats. Also, this topic was really, REALLY pointless.

Flamingo99
Sep 25, 2006, 08:58 PM
On 2006-09-25 18:47, ShinMaruku wrote:

Lol.... that was good.

Celethalion
Sep 26, 2006, 02:37 AM
I would have much preferred to be a proper Motavian, but I guess I'm the only one who would think so....
Also I don't know where people got the Human + Musk Cat combo for Numen. Minor Spoiler from PS2.....

Nei stared at me for a moment. I remembered when we first met, she looked at me in
just the same way. That was seven months ago. Because she was the product of a
mixture of human cells and those of a Biomonster, she was an outcast from society.
-~-
"I am Neifirst, I was born 2 years ago. I am the product of a Bio-systems experiment
combining humans with animals. The people felt the experiment was a failure and thus
tried to kill me."

Unless the Japanese version was so different and I didn't know it, there is no mention of what biomonster species was used. I would not call a Musk Cat a biomonster, they are more advanced and natural than a biomonster. That is to say, Musk Cats existed before biomonsters emerged in Algol. So please correct me if I am wrong. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Pengfishh
Sep 26, 2006, 03:16 AM
On 2006-09-25 18:58, Flamingo99 wrote:

On 2006-09-25 18:47, ShinMaruku wrote:

Lol.... that was good.

No it wasn't. Flamingo has some sort of learning disability as well as a horrible sense of humor. Even if the correct contraction THEY'RE was used, it wouldn't make any fucking sense, nor would it be amusing.

linkzone
Sep 26, 2006, 03:31 AM
theyre camals. Duh.

DrizaSiegmund
Sep 26, 2006, 05:22 AM
Saner did you think maybe beasts are neither? or even adding "Neither" as a vote option?
Think traditional beasts
think beast from xmen
think the worens of Bof (imean humanoid not in a cat sence)
and finally think the enemies of soo many rpg heroes

im sure ull get stared at if u enter a team saying: Nice kittys (^-^
O_O

Edit: and i thought about this one awhile ago.. Think gibbles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-09-26 03:28 ]</font>

Zarbolord
Sep 26, 2006, 06:05 AM
Gibbles? I'd prefer a cast, Epsilon.

Ryudo
Sep 26, 2006, 12:59 PM
On 2006-09-26 03:22, DrizaSiegmund wrote:
Saner did you think maybe beasts are neither? or even adding "Neither" as a vote option?
Think traditional beasts
think beast from xmen
think the worens of Bof (imean humanoid not in a cat sence)
and finally think the enemies of soo many rpg heroes

im sure ull get stared at if u enter a team saying: Nice kittys (^-^
O_O

Edit: and i thought about this one awhile ago.. Think gibbles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrizaSiegmund on 2006-09-26 03:28 ]</font>

But Woren are tigers >_>

Sinue_v2
Sep 26, 2006, 01:30 PM

Unless the Japanese version was so different and I didn't know it, there is no mention of what biomonster species was used.

They are supposed to be a throwback to the original phantasy star games. The beasts were the natural inhabitants of the desert planet Motavia. They've just renamed their planet a bit and made them look more human because who wants to roleplay as a cross between an ewok and a jawa, with bright blue fur?

The simple answer is for both Beast and Numan - that canon to the storyline, we don't know. The original Phantasy Star series never specifically states which bio-monster construct that Nei and Neifirst were created from - and it doesn't matter since PSU doesn't take place in the same universe. Or at least, are not connected specifically. Beasts are never given a designated from which they were spawned either - so it's useless arguing the point based on information provided in the games. (PS Generation II has expanded dialouge - so the answer may be revealed there if you can read Japanese - but it still raises the question over weither or not you consider the remake canon.)

However - you can determine what creatures they came from by looking at them from a design perspective. the original Phantasy Star II was supposed to feature Lutz as a main hero - and had a party which looked MUCH like Alis's party from PSI - including a Musk Cat character. As the game changed and evolved through development - Tohru Yoshida decided that he wanted a Musk Cat character in the game - but felt that players couldn't identify with the character as well as they could a more human character. So he turned the Musk Cat into Nei and Neifirst. Originally, both these girls had Musk Cat like tails as well as ears - but Tohru decided to cut them off at the last minuite. Hence, why it's kind of ambiguous when they don't state their true origins.

Beasts were originally Motavian constructs. Takao Miyoshi wanted some uniquely alien races to inhabit each planet of Gurhal - so he went back to the original Phantasy Star series for inspiriation. The Numans were fused with Dezolians - keeping the Numan shape, but gaining the Dezolian's religeous tennants and penchant for magic. Motavians were, over the course of development, changed to look more human - and included many different beast attributes such as those from lions, wolves, goats, ect. The only time they resemble their Motavian counterparts, though, is durring their Nanoblast phase. So while their outward appearance has changed - much of their social structure was also left intact. Beasts are, for the most part, nomadic scavengers who excel at hand-to-hand combat.

So from a design perspective, which is the only way you can link PSU Numans and Beasts to the original series - since the stories are seperate:

Beasts are constructed from the Motavian design.
Numans are constructed from the Musk Cat design.

TheStoicOne
Sep 26, 2006, 01:34 PM
Whoa! I think that was the entire PS handbook.

anmato145
Sep 26, 2006, 01:36 PM
They're possums

Valkayree
Sep 26, 2006, 02:49 PM
So I was wrong, I guess newmans are a derivative of a felinesque creature... Hmm, kinda look like elves to me, but that's a different universe of rpgs...

zofia
Sep 26, 2006, 02:56 PM
I think if you look at it from the Sega point of view, they prolly, early on in Phantasy Star's concept-creation days, said something like: "Elves are very popular in rpg's, but this is a sci-fi rpg. How can we have elves but not call them elves or give them the usual fairy-tale backstory?" Then they came up with their 'Newmen' story.

That's just my opinion.

Personally, I think of newmen/newearls as PS 'elves' even though I know the backstory is they are genetically engineered humans and the whole Miaut thing. In a way they are anti-elves, because elves usually are immortal or have super-long lifespans, and in Phantasy Star the newmen have very very short life spans, like 10 years or something I think.

The main reason I play 'newearls is I think they look really cool and they are nimble and smart, though not so strong. I guess I just like that mix and that look!

zofia
Sep 26, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-09-26 11:30, Sinue_v2 wrote:

Unless the Japanese version was so different and I didn't know it, there is no mention of what biomonster species was used.

They are supposed to be a throwback to the original phantasy star games. The beasts were the natural inhabitants of the desert planet Motavia. They've just renamed their planet a bit and made them look more human because who wants to roleplay as a cross between an ewok and a jawa, with bright blue fur?

The simple answer is for both Beast and Numan - that canon to the storyline, we don't know. The original Phantasy Star series never specifically states which bio-monster construct that Nei and Neifirst were created from - and it doesn't matter since PSU doesn't take place in the same universe. Or at least, are not connected specifically. Beasts are never given a designated from which they were spawned either - so it's useless arguing the point based on information provided in the games. (PS Generation II has expanded dialouge - so the answer may be revealed there if you can read Japanese - but it still raises the question over weither or not you consider the remake canon.)

However - you can determine what creatures they came from by looking at them from a design perspective. the original Phantasy Star II was supposed to feature Lutz as a main hero - and had a party which looked MUCH like Alis's party from PSI - including a Musk Cat character. As the game changed and evolved through development - Tohru Yoshida decided that he wanted a Musk Cat character in the game - but felt that players couldn't identify with the character as well as they could a more human character. So he turned the Musk Cat into Nei and Neifirst. Originally, both these girls had Musk Cat like tails as well as ears - but Tohru decided to cut them off at the last minuite. Hence, why it's kind of ambiguous when they don't state their true origins.

Beasts were originally Motavian constructs. Takao Miyoshi wanted some uniquely alien races to inhabit each planet of Gurhal - so he went back to the original Phantasy Star series for inspiriation. The Numans were fused with Dezolians - keeping the Numan shape, but gaining the Dezolian's religeous tennants and penchant for magic. Motavians were, over the course of development, changed to look more human - and included many different beast attributes such as those from lions, wolves, goats, ect. The only time they resemble their Motavian counterparts, though, is durring their Nanoblast phase. So while their outward appearance has changed - much of their social structure was also left intact. Beasts are, for the most part, nomadic scavengers who excel at hand-to-hand combat.

So from a design perspective, which is the only way you can link PSU Numans and Beasts to the original series - since the stories are seperate:

Beasts are constructed from the Motavian design.
Numans are constructed from the Musk Cat design.

Oh! ~ I should have read this before I replied again. Well said, Sinue_v2.

Vetto
Sep 26, 2006, 03:56 PM
There Genetically altered Avocados!

Niki
Sep 26, 2006, 03:59 PM
Mogs: Half-man, half-dog. They're their own best friends.

Scirrocco
Sep 26, 2006, 04:08 PM
Beasts are not cats or dogs, their hotdogs. A bit of a lot of things thrown together and combined into one.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

anmato145
Sep 26, 2006, 04:58 PM
POSSUMS

Sinue_v2
Sep 26, 2006, 08:19 PM
http://home.att.net/~rcpics/clparty.jpg

Just for reference - this is an early artwork of Phantasy Star II before the changes were made. Notice the similarities to PSI's cast? Lutz can be seen, apperantly with Green Hair this time around. Hair color change is apperantly a side effect of cyro-sleep - since even Alis had her hair change from brown to purple durring her cryosleep in Phantasy Star Gaiden.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 26, 2006, 09:55 PM
Neither, Beasts are a cross between humans and the Red Steckled Elbermung.

On 2006-09-25 18:48, -Shimarisu- wrote:
They are supposed to be a throwback to the original phantasy star games. The beasts were the natural inhabitants of the desert planet Motavia. They've just renamed their planet a bit and made them look more human because who wants to roleplay as a cross between an ewok and a jawa, with bright blue fur? Also they look more like cats. Also, this topic was really, REALLY pointless.

Pretty much, yeah.

Ryo_Hayasa
Sep 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
Well i wouldn't rule out them being Dog like, remember that one Beast member of that team of brothers, well, he "woofs" from time to time. You can't mistake that.

RamenEater
Sep 26, 2006, 10:38 PM
The female beasts have cooler looking attack animation than males =/. The males look kinda like sabretooth

BlueInfinity
Sep 26, 2006, 10:47 PM
Pfft everyone knows that in any anime, espically anime games that any unidentifiable mammal is refered to Racoon dog. doi XD