PDA

View Full Version : Memory Card for Online...

Flamingo99
Sep 25, 2006, 09:21 PM
Ok, this question is based mostly off my ignorance in computers. I don't understand how the PS2 will be able to be updated without the use of a harddrive. The PC version recommends 10gb of memory, if I'm not mistaken. The Sony PS2 memory card holds 8mb. Thats a huge difference. So, pretty much, will all these new updates for online mode be done on the server (not be downloaded), or will they have to limit the amount of updates because of the PS2s lack of storage space. I'm not putting down the PS2 either, I'm getting PSU for it.

RuinedReBirth
Sep 25, 2006, 09:31 PM
Uh...Okay, this'll be easy.

First off, PC requires 10 gigs (really? 10gigs!?) because it installs directly onto your computer and doesn't play off the CD. I've installed the game already but 10 gigs sounds unlikely.

PS2, on the other hand, does play off the CD. The game requires about 3,300 KB on your memory card. I imagine some of that for some type of update. It's quite possible to make small updates within a game without a harddrive. The additions can be brought on through the server, especially if character are saved server side. (Now I'm not 100% positive about this at all. I'm not even 1% sure, it's a complete guess).

Look at GCN PSO, it didn't require a harddrive but there were quests added through the game. PSU can be shipped as a complete product, but when you're online you will be unable to access certain locations. (From what I hear, you can't access S) But, I've already seen an expansion advertisement somewhere, think it was on PSOW frontpage. Expansions are possible by all means. (Look at Samurai Warriors/Dynasty Warriors series)

Edit: My typos amaze me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuinedReBirth on 2006-09-25 22:23 ]</font>

Flamingo99
Sep 25, 2006, 09:46 PM
On 2006-09-25 19:31, RuinedReBirth wrote:
Uh...Okay, this'll be easy.

First off, PC requires 10 gigs (really? 10gigs!?) because it installs directly onto your computer and doesn't play off the CD. I've installed the game already but 10 gigs sounds unlikely.

PS2, on the other hand, does play off the CD. The game requires about 3,300 KB on your memory card. I imagine some of that for some type of update. It's quite possible to make small updates within a game without a harddrive. The additions can be brought on through the server, especially if character are saved server side. (Now I'm not 100% positive about this at all. I'm not even 1% sure, it's a complete guess).

Look at GCN PSO, it didn't require an Xbox but there were quests added through the game. PSU can be shipped as a complete product, but when you're online you will be unable to access certain locations. (From what I hear, you can't access S) But, I've already seen an expansion advertisement somewhere, think it was on PSOW frontpage. Expansions are possible by all means. (Look at Samurai Warriors/Dynasty Warriors series)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuinedReBirth on 2006-09-25 19:35 ]</font>

i said reccemends 10gb http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I'm just assumed that It would take up that much space. I thought that seemed like a ridiculous amount of space, But I think Guildwars was around 6-7gbs on my computer. And thanks for that info, it did help some things into perspective.

kassy
Sep 25, 2006, 10:00 PM
Most of the "updates" are hidden away on the PS2 disc, when ST wanna release new content they simply "unlock" the content that's already on the disc, and hey presto, "updates"

*cough*

Tystys
Sep 25, 2006, 10:02 PM
It's ingenious.

xenokai
Sep 25, 2006, 11:23 PM
Most updates are already pre loaded onto the PS2 DVD just like its on the PC DVD and 360 disk. The stuff to pacth it is also on the disk a update can uses certain stuff from the cd to help fix. But the PSU on PS2 shouldnt of been made simple because its way to weak and cant really have HUGE update which will lower the update ability for the PC version.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 25, 2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, maybe, but if you believe that the 360 version will be updated as dilligently as the PC/PS2 server, then you most likely will be disappointed.

darthplagis
Sep 25, 2006, 11:54 PM
i wouldnt know about lack of up-dates for xbox mind sega are gettin pretty hot on the market place front (chrome hounds any one?) so i cant see x box being left behind when its as easy to upgrade/patch as the pc and can store potentially 10+ gig (ok i only got 8 left but tunes!! tunes!!).

Itsuki
Sep 26, 2006, 12:12 AM
Theres very few things that are really updated. The main thing that is updated is the core executable. Which is all of 1,750-ish KBs (probably different for PS2, but I imagine its not more than 2,000 KBs). That leaves a good 1,500 KBs, which is plenty for new items and perhaps even some missions and such. Since all the monster and normal data is already on the disk, it needs very little space for actual content addition.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Sep 26, 2006, 12:18 AM
Indeed, new quests would most likely be a tiny little script file that tells the game to load certain enemies in a certain location on a certain map under certain situations.

The only new content that would take considerable space would be new graphical and audio data.