PDA

View Full Version : what music are u gonna listen to playin PSU???

CpwninOBrien
Sep 26, 2006, 01:21 PM
im gonna listen to rap and maybe techno sometimes cuz i like chemical bros wat music r you gonna listen to when tearing it up in PSU??

Tetsuro
Sep 26, 2006, 01:24 PM
I'll be listening to Daft Punk mostly, so I put techno, although some of their stuff isn't actually techno.

zofia
Sep 26, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well, if the music is as good as PSO's music, then I'll listen to the in-game music 100% of the time... at first. But, yeah, eventually I'm sure I'll just keep sound FX on and in-game music off (at least some of the time) and pipe-in my playlists from my iPod.

And I listen to everything. Too many styles to list or pick. Everything from trance to jazz to classic rock to old skool rap to modern alt to creole to whatever. If its good I'll listen. =p

CpwninOBrien
Sep 26, 2006, 01:33 PM
thats cool

Minswune
Sep 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
I'll listen to the in-game tracks til they get old, then popping on some Ozzy, System of a Down, Metallica, etc http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DizzyDi
Sep 26, 2006, 01:46 PM
rap and hip-hop are the same thing! :angry:!

vg_geek86
Sep 26, 2006, 01:50 PM
Techno, I like listening to music that fits the feel of the game.

RoninJoku
Sep 26, 2006, 01:51 PM
In-game music of course... Unless there is something else I'm dying to listen to... But 95% of the time will be the games original score.

Natrokos
Sep 26, 2006, 01:51 PM
you didn't put rock, punk, or alternative? And 'Other' doesn't count.....I'll listen to Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Mudhoney, Flipper, Pixies, Melvins, Earth, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Black Flag, and the like.

uhawww
Sep 26, 2006, 01:54 PM
On 2006-09-26 11:46, DizzyDi wrote:

Incorrect.
Very Incorrect.

Anyways,
Usually, if I'm in the mood, I'll listen to the ingame stuff.
Otherwise it's either di.fm's Drum n' Bass or Hard Dance channels, my assorted collection of Beatmania IIDX/Pop'n Music Soundtracks, or Air America Radio (not a joke).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: uhawww on 2006-09-26 11:56 ]</font>

Cigaro
Sep 26, 2006, 01:57 PM
Chiptunes.

http://www.chiptune.com

EDIT:

On 2006-09-26 11:39, Minswune wrote:
I'll listen to the in-game tracks til they get old, then popping on some Ozzy, System of a Down, Metallica, etc http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Right on, my good sir.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-09-26 12:03 ]</font>

Natrokos
Sep 26, 2006, 01:58 PM
this thread is a potential murder site for some.

zofia
Sep 26, 2006, 02:01 PM
On 2006-09-26 11:51, Natrokos wrote:
you didn't put rock, punk, or alternative? And 'Other' doesn't count.....I'll listen to Jesus Lizard, Big Black, Mudhoney, Flipper, Pixies, Melvins, Earth, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Black Flag, and the like.

Good bands!

"Dad?
Yes son?
What does... what does... what does regret - regret mean?
Well son, the funny thing about regret is, its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done. And by the way, if you see your mother this weekend, would you be sure and tell her...

SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zofia on 2006-09-26 12:15 ]</font>

Natrokos
Sep 26, 2006, 02:04 PM
^ I feel like I found my long lost twin brother who got seperated at birth. *sniff*

L.A.T. changed my life forever....

Flamingo99
Sep 26, 2006, 02:09 PM
I'll listen to the ingame music. I hate listening to any of my music when I play games. It ruins the songs for me.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Sep 26, 2006, 02:33 PM
I get really disoriented if I can't hear a games natural music and sounds. In game music ftw.

Oh, btw, its reggae, not however you spelled it. =p

zofia
Sep 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Knowing me, like I said, most of the time I will listen to in-game music.

Even after all these years, when I fire up GC PSO I still listen to the in-game music. It's hypnotic and awesome!

ProfessorZ
Sep 26, 2006, 02:57 PM
In game music. Its actually one of the things I'm most looking forward too

DizzyDi
Sep 26, 2006, 03:05 PM
On 2006-09-26 11:54, uhawww wrote:

Incorrect.
Very Incorrect.

Elaborate on how its incorrect. Unless you're talking about hip-hop being the culture and rap being the music, thats one way of thinking, but we're talking about music genres and as far as that goes hip-hop and rap are one and the same.

krayzie
Sep 26, 2006, 03:09 PM
i gonna listen to R&B/hip-hop i never listen to in-game music because not a lot of games have good music whenever i get a game i turn it off

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krayzie on 2006-09-26 13:22 ]</font>

Cigaro
Sep 26, 2006, 03:35 PM
On 2006-09-26 13:05, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2006-09-26 11:54, uhawww wrote:

Incorrect.
Very Incorrect.

Elaborate on how its incorrect. Unless you're talking about hip-hop being the culture and rap being the music, thats one way of thinking, but we're talking about music genres and as far as that goes hip-hop and rap are one and the same.

You weren't talking to me, but hip-hop is more about the music and rap is more about the rapper.

Gorillaz is hip-hop. Busta Rhymes is rap.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-09-26 13:36 ]</font>

Varo
Sep 26, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ingame music until I get bored of it, then i'll load up winamp. I do this with all games.

chibiLegolas
Sep 26, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm willing to listen to ANYTHING other than the in game music. After 5 years of PSO and it's BGM, and listening to PSU's BGM from various movie files, I'm gonna loose my mind if I have to listen to it all over again . PSU's music is too similiar to PSO (for obvious reasons).
I usually just turn off music all together and just have the sound effects on.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

foamcup
Sep 26, 2006, 03:41 PM
Gorillaz FTW!

Heh heh, put on White Light while blasting monsters with Light magic.

uhawww
Sep 26, 2006, 03:51 PM
It's about musical style, not just content.
On a very simplified scale: R&B > Hip-hop > Rap.
The distinctions I personally see are in the rigidity of the syntax of the music and lyrics.
Hip hop lends much more to the imagination as far as the feeling the listener is left with. You find many more instances of syncopation in hiphop as well. Rap on the other hand is much more rooted in a singular phrase, and a singular beat, using repetition of music along with a usual steady cadence of lyrics to hook you. I basically like to use prose as a litmus test. If you want a perfect example of this, look up the works or tracks featuring 'Hymnal'. If you can freeform lyrics without forcing it awkwardly, either it's truly hip-hop, or you're freakin' Mystikal.

I guess to me, they're like night and day.

Niki
Sep 26, 2006, 03:53 PM
Ambient, Ambient Breaks, Illbient, Two-Step, Tech-Step, some Trip-Hop or Blip-Hop, and occasionally, Jazz or Classical.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Niki on 2006-09-26 16:05 ]</font>

Vetto
Sep 26, 2006, 03:54 PM
-Thinks- Gackt?

Tystys
Sep 26, 2006, 04:00 PM
Sometimes I'll decided to listen to the in game music, but when I'm bored I'll just turn on some Gackt or Mindless Self Indulgence. I dont know, it could be interesting fighting the dragon with Speed Master playing in the background.

Asim
Sep 26, 2006, 04:02 PM
Generes are f*** stupid, so be quiet for godsake.

Sonic Youth
REM
The Smiths/Moz
The Fall
Talking Heads
Brian Eno

Kazzi
Sep 26, 2006, 04:06 PM
Uh ill listen to the game music thanks O_o; i actually really love the background tune of Parum. So i'm sorted.

Yachiru
Sep 26, 2006, 04:08 PM
Probably a little bit of ingame music, but for the most part I'm gonna listen to my JPop and JRock etc. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Yachiru on 2006-09-26 14:08 ]</font>

DesDes
Sep 26, 2006, 04:52 PM
guess no one here likes electronic music: Trance, Eurobeat, Hardcore

maybe I'll listen to those when I get tired of ingame music

foamcup
Sep 26, 2006, 04:57 PM
On 2006-09-26 14:52, DesDes wrote:
guess no one here likes electronic music: Trance, Eurobeat, Hardcore

maybe I'll listen to those when I get tired of ingame music

I loves me some trance, but still, Gorillaz > all.

anmato145
Sep 26, 2006, 04:59 PM
In game music..

Pengfishh
Sep 26, 2006, 05:11 PM
Hip Hop and Rap are somewhat synonymous, but not completely. It's a stupid argument to floor, but Cigaro hit the center well enough. I find it strange that Hip Hop is the only large genre of music without clearly defined subgenres. Considering the ridiculous names electronic and rock music subgenres are given, you'd think hip hop would be next in line.

My friends are wanting to use Ventrillo while we play, so I'll mostly be listening to just the ingame music (my stereo set up here can be overpowering (read: lovely)) while I play with them and all sorts of great shit I won't even bother listing because I hate to sound like an ass naming artists few (if any) people have heard of while I'm alone.

So there. Useless.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pengfishh on 2006-09-26 15:12 ]</font>

wyzwun
Sep 26, 2006, 05:15 PM
im sorry, who ever votes emo needs to be shot with an Ano rifle +1

Pengfishh
Sep 26, 2006, 05:17 PM
Find out who that one guy is!

uhawww
Sep 26, 2006, 05:23 PM
On 2006-09-26 15:11, Pengfishh wrote:
I find it strange that Hip Hop is the only large genre of music without clearly defined subgenres. Considering the ridiculous names electronic and rock music subgenres are given, you'd think hip hop would be next in line.

You know, that's really an interesting observation, since, as you say, the only subgebres dfined are the ones with their roots in the more core dance genres.

Whatever. I suppose it's completely moot.

Anyways,
PSU is a little too fast paced for me to play to Trance or House (Unless its French/Filter, Daft Punk-esque). At the least, play to some breakbeats, like...oh...lets say, The Chemical Brothers (pre-Surrender).

Sevenfold
Sep 26, 2006, 05:25 PM
Metal, all day, every day.

Pengfishh
Sep 26, 2006, 05:27 PM
There are a few I've heard, but none very specific and mostly irrelevant to the music its applied to. Things like "instrumental hip hop" are nice and all, but I've heard maybe fifty different instrumental albums and very few of them are similar. Folks throw around "nerd rap" and "abstract hip hop," but these are mostly just buzz words or insults. So many artists doing so many different things to get your head nodding.

Such is the greatness of hip hop.

tyler2zelda
Sep 26, 2006, 05:52 PM
In-game music. Loved the old Ruins music...

I wonder if they would bring back the old Ruins just for like an event or something... that'd be nice!

Deprimenthia
Sep 26, 2006, 05:59 PM
Whoever said genres "suck" should shut up. =/

Anywho. I seriously doubt most of you know what real emo/screamo/emoviolence is, and Im not going to give the same speech I have 5 times in the past on this site http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bal-Sagoth, Circle Takes the Square, Ensiferum, Rhapsody, Battlelore, Edguy, Immortal, and maybe some Agalloch.

So basically Screamo, Power Metal, Black Metal, Viking Metal, and...."Agalloch" >_>

Eclypse
Sep 26, 2006, 06:04 PM
I will probably be listening to some Ludacris, Janet Jackson, Jeezy, or whatever plays randomly from my PC.

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 26, 2006, 06:55 PM
I listen to the music from the game.

Cigaro
Sep 26, 2006, 07:10 PM
I like creative hip-hop and rap alike, but stupid crap (G-G-G-G-G UNIT) finds no sanctuary on my hard drive.

Illogic, Aesop, Can Ox, Eyedea, I like that kind of stuff.

Not that anyone asked or anything, but... yeah. I will still probably listen to either chiptunes or the in-game music while playing.

hypersaxon
Sep 26, 2006, 07:12 PM
Linkin Park and Fort Minor here, nothing like slicing the crap out of monsters to One Step Closer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Nickwillnotbe
Sep 26, 2006, 07:58 PM
I imagine I'll either be listening to post rock, doom and gothic metal, and uh... screamo u_u;;

Also guys nu metal =/= metal K?

**high fives Deprimenthia

The new Agalloch CD is pretty cool, but not as good as The Mantle >=(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nickwillnotbe on 2006-09-26 18:02 ]</font>

Deprimenthia
Sep 26, 2006, 08:07 PM
Holy crap, Nick!!!

Im in love >_> But really, yeah. The Mantle owned. I love the demos as well. Pale Folklore also was great.

And yeah...Nu-Metal is not metal. Just a very trendy hardrock act http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Its hard to find a gamer AND a music fan with depth these days.

Haruka-sama
Sep 26, 2006, 08:55 PM
I'll listen to the in game music 99% of the time, the other 1% I'll probably listen to soundtracks from other games or anime heh

Sevenfold
Sep 26, 2006, 09:06 PM
On 2006-09-26 17:58, Nickwillnotbe wrote:
I imagine I'll either be listening to post rock, doom and gothic metal, and uh... screamo u_u;;

Also guys nu metal =/= metal K?

**high fives Deprimenthia

The new Agalloch CD is pretty cool, but not as good as The Mantle >=(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nickwillnotbe on 2006-09-26 18:02 ]</font>

Cant say I have, but I did manage to pick up the new Lamb of God. Awesome indeed.

Also, the new Weird Al ( shut up!) which, still has me in stiches.

_glowstiq_
Sep 26, 2006, 09:20 PM
Next to everything.

The Smashing Pumpkins (Mostly demos and unreleased stuff.)
Black Star
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Del
Elliott Smith
James Iha
Fugazi
Heatmiser
A lot of stuff produced by Dan Nakamura
KMFDM
Ben Folds Five
Beastie Boys
Jurassic 5
Daft Punk
Curtis Mayfield
Akira Yamaoka
A lot of other stuff?

I just hit my random key a bunch and typed what came up.

Nickwillnotbe
Sep 26, 2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah I don't run into many REAL gamer metal heads heh... all I ever see is SLIPKNOT and KORN. It really does make me sad... and just for kicks I'll list my top five favorite bands for everyone here ;(

Metal (or formerly so):
Anathema
Beyond Dawn
Katatonia
The Gathering
Type O Negative

Not metal:
Boards of Canada
Explosions in the Sky
Mono
Mogwai
Red Sparowes

So yeah... I really like doom/gothic metal and post rock.

Kakashi_Xero
Sep 26, 2006, 09:23 PM
ill be alternating, from ingame to, metal, rock, etc... mostly system of a down cause there my favorite band

Zentendo
Sep 26, 2006, 09:27 PM
I'll probably listen to Death Metal and Black Metal. Just like with PSO:BB.

Yeah I don't run into many REAL gamer metal heads heh... all I ever see is SLIPKNOT and KORN. It really does make me sad... and just for kicks I'll list my top five favorite bands for everyone here ;(

Sadly, I have only know one other "True Metalhead" on PSO. She is "reet" indeed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zentendo on 2006-09-26 19:31 ]</font>

Sevenfold
Sep 26, 2006, 09:28 PM
Well then nick, have you ever heard of God Module? Their techno/goth/metal. Pretty wicked. *Throws horns*

Nickwillnotbe
Sep 26, 2006, 09:36 PM
Hmmm I headed over to God Modules myspace and I was surprised to see they are from right outside my town. While I don't hear anything metal from their material, it sounds interesting enough. Like a bastard breed of horror, dance, and trip hop. ;P

Sevenfold
Sep 26, 2006, 09:39 PM
Trust bro, his voice isnt meant for anytihng BUT metal. But its on who talk to. Reagrdless, enjoy O_o

phunk
Sep 26, 2006, 09:40 PM
The music thats there, in the game.

Hm

and large doses of Jungle.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: phunk on 2006-09-26 19:41 ]</font>

Tahldon
Sep 26, 2006, 09:42 PM
I'll hear out all the in game music first to see which tracks I like most and which ones I don't; however, after that is done I'm going to be playing my own stuff.

I'll be playing a lot of Guilty Gear Soundtracks for the sheer fact that I like whooping up on some stuff and hearing some crazy blarring rock in the background.

Probably when we get into a boss battle I'll throw on that ol' Naruto - Need to be strong or the Bleach - Storm Center or something like that. The stuff that gets the blood going. http://www.angelfire.com/droid/boltz/meg11.bmp

Natrokos
Sep 26, 2006, 10:01 PM
On 2006-09-26 15:59, Deprimenthia wrote:
Whoever said genres "suck" should shut up. =/

Anywho. I seriously doubt most of you know what real emo/screamo/emoviolence is, and Im not going to give the same speech I have 5 times in the past on this site http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bal-Sagoth, Circle Takes the Square, Ensiferum, Rhapsody, Battlelore, Edguy, Immortal, and maybe some Agalloch.

So basically Screamo, Power Metal, Black Metal, Viking Metal, and...."Agalloch" >_>

I'm very involved in music and I know all about what it 'emo' is and isn't and the origins and all that bs....I won't get into it on a game forum...

And genres do 'suck' they are used to sell t shirts, lunchboxes, action figures, and stain proof bedsheets. Not music.

Sexy_Raine
Sep 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
I'll be listening to the in-game music. Hopefully it's as good as PSO's.

Sevenfold
Sep 26, 2006, 10:15 PM
w00oo00o metal #2!! ....wait...

BigGoldRobot
Sep 26, 2006, 10:44 PM
In game, didnt get tired of PSO's doubt I will for PSU

Alisha
Sep 26, 2006, 10:54 PM
in game music unless some of it is on par with the caves,that shit was sleep inducing. in that case ill listen to some upbeat music that pumps me up to kick some ass like techno,maybee some megaman themes,or various rpg battle themes.i often like sakuraba's battle themes. maybee some DDR music. heck i may even listen to some pso music like abysmal ball(seabed) and cca's music wich name escapes me.

edit:how could i forget street fighter 3 3rd strike. that game has some of the best music ive ever heard in a game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-09-26 20:56 ]</font>

Cigaro
Sep 26, 2006, 11:10 PM
On 2006-09-26 20:54, Alisha wrote:
edit:how could i forget street fighter 3 3rd strike. that game has some of the best music ive ever heard in a game.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-09-26 20:56 ]</font>

Oh MY GOD yes.

Namely Gill's theme, PSYCH OUT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cigaro on 2006-09-26 21:11 ]</font>

xzeekzx
Sep 26, 2006, 11:22 PM
Alternative? lol, anything i guess since i'll have iTunes up because i'm playing on a console. iTunes FTW!

Losodo1976
Sep 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
On 2006-09-26 12:33, Non-Toxic-Crayons wrote:
I get really disoriented if I can't hear a games natural music and sounds. In game music ftw.

I hear that, lmao. In-game music ftw. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Deprimenthia
Sep 27, 2006, 12:08 AM
Haha. Red Sparowes and Mono ftw.

Wow. One of the few gaming boards where some of the members actually know what they're talking about when it comes to music.

Anywho, Mono while playing PSO? O_O Haha http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

jungleking45
Sep 27, 2006, 07:52 AM
j pop

yeah

Katrina
Sep 27, 2006, 09:21 AM
Spice Girls!!! .... .... woo!! .... ...... nevermind...

Most likely I'll be listening to the couple in the apartment above me arguing and stomping around as usual.

Zarbolord
Sep 27, 2006, 09:22 AM
Dunno.... The game's music I suppose. Although it would be cool to have 'The man with the machine gun' (from FFVIII) for the way and abyssion's music (in ToS) for the boss. That would be my choice for once in a while.

Magician
Sep 27, 2006, 10:45 AM
In-game music. I'm even buying the soundtrack to listen to the music while not playing the game, lol.

Pure-chan
Sep 27, 2006, 11:07 AM
BGM, here. Listening to whatever is on the radio kinda detracts from the overall game experience for me. (...unless somehow the music from Caves 1-3 finds it's way back onto the soundtrack ...then I'll just play with the sfx on)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-09-27 09:07 ]</font>

Jozon
Sep 27, 2006, 11:20 AM
rap/hiphop/techno/rock/metal a lil daft punk on the side for good measure

foamcup
Sep 27, 2006, 11:49 AM
On 2006-09-26 20:54, Alisha wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Alisha on 2006-09-26 20:56 ]

Yes! Elena's music is the shit. I got my DC right here next to me. *dashes off to find Third Strike*

After listening to the game music and having it stuck in my head for hours and hours, yeah, I'm going to say in-game music now. Too bad I can't change my vote. Hmm, maybe if I delete the cookie.....

Nickwillnotbe
Sep 27, 2006, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I find that Mono is great for pretty much any occasion. Sure, it is slow, but I listen to unhealth ammounts of funeral doom so... I like my music slooooooow. Have you heard the new Red Sparowes CD yet? It is GREAT.

Nogatorr
Sep 27, 2006, 07:15 PM
Metal, of course.